suedester

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how my point was so misconstrued. The guy said there are no other options for full electric at 200+ mile range, before he brought up looks or anything like that. I just corrected him because it is untrue.

You can absolutely get a new chevy bolt for 35k or less, before tax credits.

Anyway, I hope the model 3 is incredibly successful at this price point. The more people switch over, the easier life is going to be for all electric vehicle owners. I'm seeing more and more of them on the road and it makes me really happy.
That's fine. I'm essentially agreeing that the Chevy bolt is ugly. I'm sure some prefer it to the model 3 though.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I didn't make that argument. Someone else did. Check who you quoting dawg.

My bad on that. With the way the conversation flowed, it seemed like you were the original poster.

That's fine. I'm essentially agreeing that the Chevy bolt is ugly. I'm sure some prefer it to the model 3 though.

To each their own. I like the way both the model 3 and bolt look on the outside, and prefer the bolt interior. I could also see why someone might not like the way the bolt looks, but I'm a weirdo who thinks the leafs are kinda cute looking so what do I know?

whitehawk

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
compositor-1-png.381627

Standard interior
Looks amazing

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
SHEESH thats shady as hell still.

Because even worse is then they annouce the savings but then if you want to do that, you would have to add the expenses, like insurance.

And Tesla's do not insure well.
No its not. You'd have to be an abject moron to confuse what your paying VS what their estimating you'd save.
When we did the math on what my wife drives and how much she's spending every week in gas, their estimate was 4k less over the same time frame and I made the assumption that gas prices would continue to stay at ~2 a gallon for the 6 years, which is what they use for the estimate. And that doesn't even include, oil changes, and services on ICE cars. For instance my wife's timing belt was 1500 bucks. Her regular 60k mile service was fucking 700 bucks.
Service on the tesla is every four years battery fluid at 850 bucks.

Also your comment on insurance is factually incorrect.

This guy also just put out some math too.

Last edited:

Araex

Oct 27, 2017
We replaced one of our cars with a Model 3 six months ago, and we love the interior and its performance (It's like having a rollercoaster-on-demand). I can't imagine buying other cars now, although we're still sorta in that new car honeymoon period.

And Tesla's do not insure well.

The insurance is about the same as our other cars.
It's also long term over 6 years, on an assume dollar per gallon and assumed driving amount. It's just really shady for me when doing financial break down of TCO

They should've doubled the savings to account for the time saved by not having to go to gas stations /s

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I'd jump in if I had somewhere to charge it. I live in California so I could force my condo HOA to put in a charger somewhere, but I'd have to pay...might need to look into that.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The Chevy Volt is around $37500 USD and it has 200+ mile range so it's not like these cars were non-existent at this price range.

Bolt, Leaf+, Kona, Niro are the competition right now in the 200+ mile range.

The last 3 aren't easy to find. The Leaf+ just came out.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
No its not. You'd have to be an abject moron to confuse what your paying VS what their estimating you'd save.
When we did the math on what my wife drives and how much she's spending every week in gas, their estimate was 4k less over the same time frame and I made the assumption that gas prices would continue to stay at ~2 a gallon for the 6 years, which is what they use for the estimate. And that doesn't even include, oil changes, and services on ICE cars. For instance my wife's timing belt was 1500 bucks. Her regular 60k mile service was fucking 700 bucks.
Service on the tesla is every four years battery fluid at 850 bucks.

Also your comment on insurance is factually incorrect.

This guy also just put out some math too.

We replaced one of our cars with a Model 3 six months ago, and we love the interior and its performance (It's like having a rollercoaster-on-demand). I can't imagine buying other cars now, although we're still sorta in that new car honeymoon period.

The insurance is about the same as our other cars.

They should've doubled the savings to account for the time saved by not having to go to gas stations /s

You both are seriously going to support a company putting 'estimated' savings without any evidence behind it into an offical price when selling a car?

There is not even math detailing the price of fuel in the savings and how many gallons bought.

We now supporting anti-consumer marketing strategies just because its Tesla?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
You both are seriously going to support a company putting 'estimated' savings without any evidence behind it into an offical price when selling a car?

There is not even math detailing the price of fuel in the savings and how many gallons bought.

It's literally all laid out. Go see for yourself. You'd have to be a complete moron to BUY A VEHICLE ONLINE without realizing that's not the purchase price.

guLV22Y.png

Araex

Oct 27, 2017
Using the dealership model as a comparison, where they hide their invoice price behind MSRP and marketed "invoice price", I see Tesla's marketing practice about the same level as them. It's not ideal, but as an informed consumer, it doesn't really matter 'cause you can find out that information anyway. (Sidenote, you can pick up a brand new 2018 Audi A6 $20K off MSRP right now).

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018
The Chevy Volt is around $37500 USD and it has 200+ mile range so it's not like these cars were non-existent at this price range.

The Volt? That's a plug in hybrid and discontinued. It only went ~40 miles on battery, the rest was gas.

Unless you're referring to the Bolt, which yes, goes 238 miles but it's an econobox, boring to drive, GM CHEVY which means the dealer "network" doesn't give a shit about you. When a Tesla is the same price you're definitely going for it. Superior build quality, driving feel, technology, planned software and hardware upgrades, support network, and brand image (techie vs redneck)

Any other car that's 200+ miles range for this price effectively doesn't exist because you can't order one right now. Konas are being price gouged 8K+ MSRP by dealers, Kia Soul and Niro EV aren't out yet, Nissan Leaf+ isn't out yet. 2019 BMW i3 is $50K and gets 230 miles if you count the REX gas generator. The battery itself is 150 miles.

Last edited:

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
also more bad news for Elon,

The law-firm he had to represent him against the SEC just bailed on him.

D0h7QgMWkAEb2T3.png:large

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to be pretty stupid to purchase a vehicle online without realizing that. Compared to buying a new vehicle through a dealership, it's pretty fucking transparent.

Buying a vehicle through a dealership is transparent, in my cases, and I've never once had one say "here your gas savings discount" when showing me price of the vehicle

Deleted member 33887

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I don't know how they expect to move cars when even with people their delivery is already a massive clown show. Also: Asked what the profit margin of $35K Model 3 will be, says "Yeah, we're not going to answer questions like that. Next question."

So going to guess zero or negative on that one. Also "we don't expect a profit in Q1." But I was told that Telsa would never not make a profit again!

Oct 31, 2017
The Volt? That's a plug in hybrid and discontinued. It only went ~40 miles on battery, the rest was gas.

Unless you're referring to the Bolt, which yes, goes 238 miles but it's an econobox, boring to drive

I've got over 55k miles on my Bolt and I can assure you it is anything but boring to drive. It's at least as quick as the GTI it replaced. Instant torque and plenty of it. It could use better tires but it's definitely a fun car . It GOES.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you literally not understand that driving an electric vehicle is cheaper than driving an Ice vehicle? Or are you just purposefully being obtuse?

Do you literally not understand the difference between a discount and potential savings when showing a final price? That's what's being discussed here. Them showing "gas savings" as a discount in the final price of the car on the configuration page.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
One the one hand, yeah it's expected that you'd get a cheaper interior on the cheaper, standard model, but on the other hand, no live traffic display? C'mon son, everybody does live traffic now, if not through their own nav, then through CarPlay or Android Auto.

That shouldn't be a premium feature, and not having that while also not offering CarPlay or Android Auto is pretty shitty, man.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Does the $2,500 California state credit apply to the base model as well? The state lists the 2019 Model 3 as a quarter EV, but the credit isn't listed on Tesla's end.

Edit: $2,500 CA credit shows up on desktop

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I don't know how they expect to move cars when even with people their delivery is already a massive clown show. Also: Asked what the profit margin of $35K Model 3 will be, says "Yeah, we're not going to answer questions like that. Next question."

So going to guess zero or negative on that one. Also "we don't expect a profit in Q1." But I was told that Telsa would never not make a profit again!
No profit in Q1 is because of one time charges (like the $920 mil debt payment they have to pay).

Some of the people on the thread are being completely disingenuous. It is cheaper to drive electric vs ice due to maintenance and gas. That's an objective statement. Bolt vs Tesla is another conversation, but I'd take Model 3 any day over Bolt... and I don't want to buy a Model 3.

Note that Tesla is offering a 7 day / 1000 mile return policy with the new changes. Now, there have been documented issues with refunds before and Tesla but hopefully that's getting straightened out. More interested in how they are going to improve service centers.

Personally, I don't want a Model 3 due to the only visual interface being the giant iPad which seems distracting, especially considering how easy it is to exceed speed limit in a Tesla (you don't even have engine noise to get you to feel that). Plus between QA issues and problems with service I am very leery at least for now of the car.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Still feel like my model 3 long rage single motor is the sweet spot. Live in LA and can make it to SD or Palm Springs and back without charging. It's perfect.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Every Tesla thread is like this.
Yeap, and what's interesting is that it's not like there is nothing to criticize about Tesla, but complaining about the car being more efficient and about cost savings is ridiculous.

As a comparison, I have a Mercedes C300 which is similarly priced to the Tesla. My model has about about 23 MPG overall in daily driving. There are also about $2K worth of service in first 3 years. So just in 3 years, looking at calculators, Tesla vs my C300 is about $5500, give or take a few hundred $.

Mind you, I still don't want to get a Tesla 3 :P.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeap, and what's interesting is that it's not like there is nothing to criticize about Tesla, but complaining about the car being more efficient and about cost savings is ridiculous.

No one is debating the cost savings over gas. We're simply highlighting that when building the car package and looking at final price it feels disingenious to show "price after est savings" when one of those prices are not off the cost of the vehicle when factoring in the loan. That's it. The car is not 26K, it's 30K and you're paying interst on that 4K. And it bases it on six years, when most people do 5 year loans.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Going to grab a 2019 Hybrid RAV4 instead as I'm done with low to the ground cars. I hope Tesla comes up with a mass market cross over sometime soon.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It says "purchase price" right in the middle followed by "price after estimated savings" at the bottom. There's nothing deceptive or shady about that. It's not an asterisk and fine print at the bottom or some bullshit fake numbers.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Do you literally not understand the difference between a discount and potential savings when showing a final price? That's what's being discussed here. Them showing "gas savings" as a discount in the final price of the car on the configuration page.
since apparently some of you are incapable of going to tesla's website to look for yourself, I did it for you.

here you go:
from step 1 through 5 this box outlined in red, for the visually impaired, literally never changes, in the sense that purchase price is always there.
UfJUfiah.jpg

once finished you have your purchase price underneath the estimated price after savings.
ZOcfrsKh.png

and finally if you expand the "show details" from the above image, you get the line by line breakdown. In which it clearly stats all estimated savings are after purchase price, again, outlined in red for the visually impaired.
66Hrh1Ch.png

at no point, is estimated price on screen WITHOUT the purchase price, nor is it ever implied that you'll somehow be paying less than whats listed on the purchase price.

Furthermore as an actual owner of a tesla, the purchase process is clear as day with regard to the price. I put in my 2500 bucks for the reservation. As soon as that happened, i was taken to another page where i submitted my drivers license and insurance. I was then presented with the estimated final price (note this is not the actual final price as they have to generate this document based on your state, for state taxes and destination fees and what not) This took a few weeks as the car wasn't ready anyway it wasn't really a big deal. Once there, it was clear as day the price i was going to pay with taxes and destination fee, all minus the 2500 bucks i already paid.

anyone saying this isn't a clear process is just flat out wrong.

And finally, the estimate Tesla uses is pretty conservative IMO. The only thing i disagree with is they use premium gas. Some people use premium in their BMWs and Audis, some don't. They're using .13 cents per kWh, which is the national average. I typically pay about .09 cents per kWh. (once my solar panels are operational that will go up, but i will also get credits for over production and i'll be driving from my own power and much less cost.)

xI4VcAOh.jpg

since december 30th we've put that many miles on the car. The car says we've used 743 kWh (note i would like to find a proper monitor for my charger so i can see what i've put into the car in kWh as there is some efficiency loss, but as of now all i have to go on is what the car says) 743 kWh * .09 cents is.... $66.87 and thats actually calculating the charge i put on it free destination charging in Austin and free super charging on the way back to houston. So what we've paid is actually less than that.
An ICE car driving those same miles, generously getting combined 30mpg at 2 dollars a gallon will have paid $223.33

throw in ICE maintenance, that tesla leaves out of their estimate, and I would hazard that over its lifespan depending on how much you drive, a Tesla could be compared with the TCO of a car ~10k cheaper if not more.

Buying a vehicle through a dealership is transparent, in my cases, and I've never once had one say "here your gas savings discount" when showing me price of the vehicle
orly? guess you haven't been to a dealership in a while.
sleSXCjh.jpg
is this disingenuous too?

"let me go talk to my manager"
"idunno if we can do that price"
"its already a great deal, its below list!"

fuck off with that bullshit.

OP
OP

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Unless you're referring to the Bolt, which yes, goes 238 miles but it's an econobox, boring to drive, GM CHEVY which means the dealer "network" doesn't give a shit about you. When a Tesla is the same price you're definitely going for it. Superior build quality, driving feel, technology, planned software and hardware upgrades, support network, and brand image (techie vs redneck)

Any other car that's 200+ miles range for this price effectively doesn't exist because you can't order one right now. Konas are being price gouged 8K+ MSRP by dealers, Kia Soul and Niro EV aren't out yet, Nissan Leaf+ isn't out yet. 2019 BMW i3 is $50K and gets 230 miles if you count the REX gas generator. The battery itself is 150 miles.

Yeah, it's a typo. I meant the Bolt!

But I kind of disagree with the Bolt being an econobox. It has some pretty snazzy features built into it -- the 360 camera view!! -- and is definitely a tech car for the millennial generation. I suggest watching some reviews on it before judging it so harshly?

At any rate, even the standard M3 is going to be cut down a bit, so we'll see how it fairs once some reviews start popping up.

Oct 25, 2017
s

fuck off with that bullshit.

You have such a holier than though attitude all the time in any thread you participate in, I hope you realize this. I did go to the site and look at the price, i wasn't just spewing "bullshit". Also your chart to try and show bullshit of dealers isn't saying "Here's your MSRP minus gas savings".

The final sticker price of the car + interest is the real cost of the car, so you can't just say "Well take gas off and here's your final cost". You've already paid interest on that supposed savings.