• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have always loved dating apps. It was always so easy to get dates and find interesting people. My first go around led to a year-long relationship and I met my current partner of 4 years on Tinder too. I never understood why people are so against them. Its just like an initial bump to get people together, its not supposed to guarantee you anything, just get it going.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
This thread reveals one of the secret benefit of religion when it comes to dating.
In the old days, you would meet most of girls/guys of your town at church and you had a good chance that they would share some basic values with you.
Even if you did not meet your SO at church you would meet people that would introduce you to other people etc...

When moving to a new place, you would meet a lot of new people at church and quickly become a member of the community and introduced in local social circles.

Ironically, attending a place of worship is even more beneficial today because there are even less real life social opportunities and people who are still religious are doing it less because of the social pressure and more because it is meaningful to them.

So single-ERA, convert to whatever floats your boat and use the awesome power of organized religion
;

lmao literally worst tip to give for people in Sweden where no one attends church and are secular.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I hope these are helpful for people, but I feel fortunate that I got married just as these were rising in prominence. I did a little bit of online dating through match in the late aughts, even dated a girl I met there for three years, but I feel like that was an entirely different experience than something like Tinder.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread reveals one of the secret benefit of religion when it comes to dating.
In the old days, you would meet most of girls/guys of your town at church and you had a good chance that they would share some basic values with you.
Even if you did not meet your SO at church you would meet people that would introduce you to other people etc...

When moving to a new place, you would meet a lot of new people at church and quickly become a member of the community and introduced in local social circles.

Ironically, attending a place of worship is even more beneficial today because there are even less real life social opportunities and people who are still religious are doing it less because of the social pressure and more because it is meaningful to them.

So single-ERA, convert to whatever floats your boat and use the awesome power of organized religion
;

Subsitute "Church" for something actually interesting like social or outreach clubs and you gave good advice. Go volunteer at the local bike shop, independent media gatherings, go play DnD at the thursday night events, whatever.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
When I was using stuff like eHarmony back around ~2008 I had zero luck. Ended up meeting my now wife via a Meetup group.

I think for most people stuff like Meetup, where the focus is just common interests rather than dating, are going to have a better shot at finding you a real relationship. At least so long as you don't do the meetup groups with dating as your main motive.

Oct 27, 2017
A reminder that women, like men, can absolute toxic PoS. Reading some of the comments, it felt like I was perusing a toxic dump of misandry. The talking points eerily similar to those mysoginistic anti-feminist, men's right movement and incel stuff.

That's because it was largely created in response to those online places. Same goes for the femcels reddit. As terrible as the rhetoric looks it should be seen as an angry response to the horrible misogyny centered around dating you see online. Most of the people there are actually women but women who have spend a lot of time in those misogynist online spaces.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I hope these are helpful for people, but I feel fortunate that I got married just as these were rising in prominence. I did a little bit of online dating through match in the late aughts, even dated a girl I met there for three years, but I feel like that was an entirely different experience than something like Tinder.

It was extremely helpful for me, met my wife on Tinder, and during my time on various dating apps I didn't really have a bad experience.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All the more reason to never get involved with dating in the first place

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only been using dating apps since January of this year, never dabbled before.

So far it has been a terrible experience - or non-experience, really.

There's probably things I'm doing "wrong" but I really think it's just not conducive to the foundation of a real relationship. People are constantly looking for red flags instead of just going with the flow of getting to know someone like you would IRL. People treat each other like they're bots.

I'm Bumble, which is an absolute nothing burger for me. I'm also in OKCupid, which I've had a lot more success on, but "successful" in this case just means I've matched with and had conversations with a lot more people.

Maybe it's my tact. i try to find an interesting point of conversation from their profile and ask them about it, and then i just try to have a normal, inquisitive conversation about mutual interests. Because I'm actually trying to get to know people a bit first.

i've had people unmatch with me after just a few exchanges about, like, traveling.

It's difficult to know if your failure was actually something you did or said, or if the other person has weird hang ups or ideas about how conversations should go, or if they decided they are just more interested in someone else they are talking to, or if they just realized they don't really want to date, or whatever.

I have always loved dating apps. It was always so easy to get dates and find interesting people. My first go around led to a year-long relationship and I met my current partner of 4 years on Tinder too. I never understood why people are so against them. Its just like an initial bump to get people together, its not supposed to guarantee you anything, just get it going.
I get about 1 match a week. A third of those transitioned into a decent conversation. I've had one match that transitioned into dating in the two months I've been on.

So much for the bump.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm turning 24 in *checks clock* 13 minutes, and I haven't even kissed a girl. You've done better than me in your 30s than I have done in my entire life. Not too shabby.
Needless to say, I am a very attention starved and bitter person.

It appears hinge at least won't let you not display your height.
Happy birthday!

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
45c.gif

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only been using dating apps since January of this year, never dabbled before.

So far it has been a terrible experience - or non-experience, really.

There's probably things I'm doing "wrong" but I really think it's just not conducive to the foundation of a real relationship. People are constantly looking for red flags instead of just going with the flow of getting to know someone like you would IRL. People treat each other like they're bots.

I'm Bumble, which is an absolute nothing burger for me. I'm also in OKCupid, which I've had a lot more success on, but "successful" in this case just means I've matched with and had conversations with a lot more people.

Maybe it's my tact. i try to find an interesting point of conversation from their profile and ask them about it, and then i just try to have a normal, inquisitive conversation about mutual interests. Because I'm actually trying to get to know people a bit first.

i've had people unmatch with me after just a few exchanges about, like, traveling.

"inquisitive" defintely can come out as creepy or boring. Just bullshit a bit, schedule a real date and ask them that stuff in person.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm turning 24 in *checks clock* 13 minutes, and I haven't even kissed a girl. You've done better than me in your 30s than I have done in my entire life. Not too shabby.
Needless to say, I am a very attention starved and bitter person.

SP, I've been following your posts, and as someone with similar issues I just want you to know you're a cool dude and you look good with your head shaved.

Even if Constance sucks.

Happy birthday man.

Last edited:

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking hard for me, majority of people just want to hook up, to the point is being detrimental to my emotional health because people have told and told me that I'm a good looking guy, and I get that, often at bars or clubs I get some really long looks at me. But I'm awkward as fuck to start a conversation and also I'm demissexual, so that means I see no point in making a effort to start a conversation in a bar or club because the majority of times it leads to some kind of hook-up where you never speak to that person ever again in your life, and that's not my style and will never be, I had my fair share of hook-ups and all of them I had problems with having sex because I couldn't feel an emotional bond, and that was heartbreaking for me and also because I felt bad for the other person.

In turn, since I fucking suck at physically approaching someone, I turn to online dating apps, such as Tinder, but it's also a problem because majority of people there are also looking for hook-ups, once in a blue moon you will find someone who you can develop a emotional bond with. My matches started to get really low after I mentioned that I'm demissexual on my bio, let's not to mention the ghosts you get while messaging.

Basically, feels like there isn't such a thing as getting emotionally involved with someone and society as nowadays likes to hook-up generally.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
What does it mean to bullshit in this case? What am i supposed even talk about? I view talking about movies or music or whatever to be bullshit.

It's making conversation about anything at any time, that includes talking about movies or music but could also be bullshitting about the restaurant you're sitting in or about the guy sitting at the bar. It can be playful, judgemental, flirtatious, or breezy, but for god's sake don't make it serious. Say vapid but interesting things about non-serious topics and let the other person respond in kind while listening.

Bullshitting exclusively about movies or music would be incredibly tedious, so expand your bullshitting horizons.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No I'm a dude. I do have my height listed in there (I'm 6'4) but I am also pretty explicit about my nerdy interests. Maybe it helps that I'm a first responder? I consider myself above average. I'm not ugly but I'm not Brad Pitt. I am sitting at about 100 New hits right now (that I can't see) and when I'm boosted I don't even know where to start. When I go down to the city I can get 200 hits in a fucking EVENING.

I think it's all how you frame yourself. I'm sure there are a ton of ladies that are experiencing a similar issue. I can't even begin to tell you how many profiles of women I've seen that are a big nope because they give off a dozen red flags, look boring, or have super weird or unflattering photos.
6'4" is a goldmine bro. That's a big asset.

Nerdiness is hardly a detriment these days, it's actually an appealing quality to a lot of women. It's chill.

It's making conversation about anything at any time, that includes talking about movies or music but could also be bullshitting about the restaurant you're sitting in or about the guy sitting at the bar. It can be playful, judgemental, flirtatious, or breezy, but for god's sake don't make it serious. Say vapid but interesting things about non-serious topics and let the other person respond in kind while listening.

Bullshitting exclusively about movies or music would be incredibly tedious, so expand your bullshitting horizons.
I can bullshit irl no prob but it's hard when you're messaging a stranger cold

Real

Oct 28, 2017
As soon as I treated dating apps as a "vitamin" to add to my pre-existing real life social activities as opposed to the primary source of meeting women, it got so much more fun and was less depressing. Casually using Hinge in the middle of it all was how I met my current significant other of 5-6 months.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
What does it mean to bullshit in this case? What am i supposed even talk about? I view talking about movies or music or whatever to be bullshit.

In addition to this, have a couple funny/interesting stories ready to go. People love stories.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

You need to talk but say nothing, just nudge the conversation along. Make sure you don't stall, don't focus only one thing and don't be too personal. Focus on fluff, stuff the other person might like.

Oct 27, 2017
I met my current partner on OKC 5 years ago. I feel like we managed to get in and get out right before shit got really bad. Or we just got really lucky.

Nov 17, 2017
Whenever there's a thread like this, you always have a few of those posters who act completely oblivious to the fact that people can have other experiences or that they possess assets that other people don't. The "I don't get why people hate dating apps. I get 100 matches a week and go on dates all the time" people. It's a bit of a self centered viewpoint that you literally could not understand how these apps can be terrible for other people.

I'm so tired of matching with girls and only having half a conversation before they up and ghost me even in the middle of a question. She'll ask me a question and I'll answer and ask the same and oops, gone.

Fuck this shit. I'm 40 years old. I don't have time to waste here. I'm at that point I just want to hold a conversation for more than a half a day.
maxresdefault.jpg

You guys are getting matches?

Well, I mean meeting and getting to know each other works out. Once I met a person I will stop approaching anyone else tho. I'm also not looking for a traditional relationship so that helps, it's more of a fwb setup.
I think you're missing the point that for a lot of people, meeting anyone off these apps like winning the lottery. For some, just getting a match that even responds to you is a major accomplishment.

If I met a new person (even if only for 1 date) every one or two weeks, I would surpass the total amount of dates I've been on from apps since using them in 3 weeks.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
on the one hand I loathe dating apps, but on the other hand I feel like people have too high expectations for what they're trying to get out of them.

(how tall are you btw)

like I somewhat agree with this post, it's meant to help get your foot in the door not promise you a relationship or anything. It will always be easier to form a more genuine connection once you meet someone in person since you can actually emote and rely on things other than text and pictures, but also dating apps suck, it's super impersonal, and you need to have the exact right percentages of witty, good pictures, and attractiveness to succeed, so idk.

I'm not sure if dating is harder now than it used to be, or if as a culture we are just becoming more stressed, depressed, and less willing to interact socially (in the United States at least) due to terrible work policies, lack of health care, low wages, etc.

I can't help but feel that if people were less stressed in their individual lives it would be easier to meet people and the like
It's fucking hard for me, majority of people just want to hook up, to the point is being detrimental to my emotional health because people have told and told me that I'm a good looking guy, and I get that, often at bars or clubs I get some really long looks at me. But I'm awkward as fuck to start a conversation and also I'm demissexual, so that means I see no point in making a effort to start a conversation in a bar or club because the majority of times it leads to some kind of hook-up where you never speak to that person ever again in your life, and that's not my style and will never be, I had my fair share of hook-ups and all of them I had problems with having sex because I couldn't feel an emotional bond, and that was heartbreaking for me and also because I felt bad for the other person.

In turn, since I fucking suck at physically approaching someone, I turn to online dating apps, such as Tinder, but it's also a problem because majority of people there are also looking for hook-ups, once in a blue moon you will find someone who you can develop a emotional bond with. My matches started to get really low after I mentioned that I'm demissexual on my bio, let's not to mention the ghosts you get while messaging.

Basically, feels like there isn't such a thing as getting emotionally involved with someone and society as nowadays likes to hook-up generally.
it seems like a shitty thing, but if you aren't getting success with online dating by mentioning you are demisexual, you should probably just not put it in your bio. I'm not really sure what the point of advertising that is other than limiting the amount of people who might be willing to give you a chance.

I am also leaning towards demisexual, but it's not something I would mention ever until there would be a reason for it to come up in conversation. I also think you are overthinking too much, and you being demisexual shouldn't be a reason for you not to talk to someone. You never know how things will play out, you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there. A lot of it is a numbers game, just like anything else you have to go through 100 people just to find the one that you might have an actual shot with. It sucks, but you kind of just have to get lucky.

Anyways, sorry for playing arm chair psychologist, I just feel like you are limiting yourself (I do the same thing tbh) by thinking this way. I completely understand being discouraged (I am by no means very successful with women either..._) but you really don't know the outcome until you try. And if it doesn't work out, what else is there to do but try again?

Last edited:

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Yeah i mean i think i already do this.

It's really not that difficult to message a stranger cold, just crack of a line about something they're interested in (based on their profile) and see what happens. Don't feel too invested and keep it casual, whether you're aiming for a date or casual sex.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
While tinder has always been dead personally I have met some women from match.com and Badoo but last 2 years those wells dried up too and last time I met anyone now is about 2 years ago.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not that difficult to message a stranger cold, just crack of a line about something they're interested in (based on their profile) and see what happens. Don't feel too invested and keep it casual, whether you're aiming for a date or casual sex.
Yeah that's what i already do, i said that in my original post

I think the bigger problem is i just get so few matches to begin with.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Yeah that's what i already do, i said that in my original post

No no no, this is what you said:

"i try to find an interesting point of conversation from their profile and ask them about it, and then i just try to have a normal, inquisitive conversation about mutual interests."

That's asking them a question about a point of interest which is VERY different.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No no no, this is what you said:

"i try to find an interesting point of conversation from their profile and ask them about it, and then i just try to have a normal, inquisitive conversation about mutual interests."

That's asking them a question about a point of interest which is VERY different.
Oh i see what you mean.

i'll switch it up

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg

Well I do that all the time when I do pm's but I always get ignored anyway because I am not good looking enough.

Nov 17, 2017
You need to talk but say nothing, just nudge the conversation along. Make sure you don't stall, don't focus only one thing and don't be too personal. Focus on fluff, stuff the other person might like.
Yeah i mean i think i already do this.
I really hate this surgical approach you need to take to get a date on apps. A lot of this dating advice boils down to game-like min/maxing, Goldilocks style, carefully planned and articulate moves just to get a date.

Does anyone else notice this? It feels like you have to tweak your profile and your interactions to perfection just to have any kind of success. It's like trying to defuse a hyper sensitive bomb; cut those wires just the right way in the right order but if you hand shakes a bit - BOOM - you've lost their attention. Keep swiping. Yet there are people who don't need to do this to find success. I think the answer is elsewhere. I don't really know if this kind of advice is the answer, DickGrayson, Masoyama

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Oh i see what you mean.

i'll switch it up

I dunno about you but I absolutely HATE when people ask a ton of questions and make the conversation more like a job, it's tedious and tires me out. You want the other person to want to talk to you by making it fun to talk to you.

I really hate this surgical approach you need to take to get a date on apps. A lot of this dating advice boils down to game-like min/maxing, Goldilocks style, carefully planned and articulate moves just to get a date.

Does anyone else notice this? It feels like you have to tweak your profile and your interactions to perfection just to have any kind of success. It's like trying to defuse a hyper sensitive bomb; cut those wires just the right way in the right order but if you hand shakes a bit - BOOM - you've lost their attention. Keep swiping. Yet there are people who don't need to do this to find success. I think the answer is elsewhere. I don't really know if this kind of advice is the answer, DickGrayson.

Being able to have a vapid conversation that keeps the other person interested is an essential life skill regardless. The whole point is that you shouldn't view it as a game you need to min-max, but as a way to have a bit of fun conversation that may lead to something else.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Does anyone else notice this? It feels like you have to tweak your profile and your interactions to perfection just to have any kind of success. It's like trying to defuse a hyper sensitive bomb; cut those wires just the right way in the right order but if you hand shakes a bit - BOOM - you've lost their attention. Keep swiping. Yet there are people who don't need to do this to find success. I think the answer is elsewhere. I don't really know if this kind of advice is the answer, DickGrayson.
This is exactly how i feel.
I dunno about you but I absolutely HATE when people ask a ton of questions and make the conversation more like a job, it's tedious and tires me out. You want the other person to want to talk to you by making it fun to talk to you.
I was always under the impression that asking questions makes you seem interested
Regardless, it's not like I have a survey of questions, i just ask something to find a vein of conversation to mine. Once you find a subject you can connect on you just pursue that.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Every time I go browse online dating sites I fall asleep.

Seems like every 30+ woman out there are carbon copies of each other.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
I too got tired of the culture of people being treated more as a kind of "achievement unlocked" than an actual individual in terms of what they supposedly signify in terms of one's social standing.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I wish there was a version of Lex that let cis guys on, it seems far more interesting than every other dating app.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
One thing I've noticed the last time that I went on one of these is that the quality of pictures has really stepped up for people. Rather than just selfies with friends or whatever, a LOT of people seem to have created a science behind the pictures that they use on their profiles. Taken by someone else, in some sort of unique area/activity, capturing multiple emotions. Maybe I was just imagining it but the last time I went on hinge (before getting overly defeated and deciding just to meet people the old fashioned way) it felt like that.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
To people disappointed at a lack of success meeting others via these apps- Get the fuck off your phone, get into the real world, pursuing whatever you like, and meet people.

Sure, I'm not going to say NO ONE ever has luck with dating apps- SOME people do win the lottery, but if you are expecting that win to someday pay for something, chances are, you are going to be disappointed.

People "dating" via apps, is no different than someone playing a video game at home. You give yourself some entertainment, and you can literally turn it off whenever you please. Any interaction happening through a phone or pc is just fleeting at best. Proof? This thread. I'm out as soon as I hit this 'post reply' button as there are other things to do.

Masoyama

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Does anyone else notice this? It feels like you have to tweak your profile and your interactions to perfection just to have any kind of success. It's like trying to defuse a hyper sensitive bomb; cut those wires just the right way in the right order but if you hand shakes a bit - BOOM - you've lost their attention. Keep swiping. Yet there are people who don't need to do this to find success. I think the answer is elsewhere. I don't really know if this kind of advice is the answer, DickGrayson, Masoyama

I'm pretty sure my skills at valid bullshit were instrumental in getting me my grad school scholarship, first job outta PhD and work promotion. Its just a really amazing life skill to have.

on the one hand I loathe dating apps, but on the other hand I feel like people have too high expectations for what they're trying to get out of them.

(how tall are you btw)

like I somewhat agree with this post, it's meant to help get your foot in the door not promise you a relationship or anything. It will always be easier to form a more genuine connection once you meet someone in person since you can actually emote and rely on things other than text and pictures, but also dating apps suck, it's super impersonal, and you need to have the exact right percentages of witty, good pictures, and attractiveness to succeed, so idk.

I'm not sure if dating is harder now than it used to be, or if as a culture we are just becoming more stressed, depressed, and less willing to interact socially (in the United States at least) due to terrible work policies, lack of health care, low wages, etc.

I can't help but feel that if people were less stressed in their individual lives it would be easier to meet people and the like

it seems like a shitty thing, but if you aren't getting success with online dating by mentioning you are demisexual, you should probably just not put it in your bio. I'm not really sure what the point of advertising that is other than limiting the amount of people who might be willing to give you a chance.

I am also leaning towards demisexual, but it's not something I would mention ever until there would be a reason for it to come up in conversation. I also think you are overthinking too much, and you being demisexual shouldn't be a reason for you not to talk to someone. You never know how things will play out, you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot there. A lot of it is a numbers game, just like anything else you have to go through 100 people just to find the one that you might have an actual shot with. It sucks, but you kind of just have to get lucky.

Anyways, sorry for playing arm chair psychologist, I just feel like you are limiting yourself (I do the same thing tbh) by thinking this way. I completely understand being discouraged (I am by no means very successful with women either..._) but you really don't know the outcome until you try. And if it doesn't work out, what else is there to do but try again?

I'm 190 cm or just under 6'3. I think it also helps that me and the people I gravitate to are not really under the pressures you mentioned. Most of my matches were people with or workings towards advances degrees like PhD or Master's.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I can totally see this getting worse every day.

I didn't have problems finding matches and was accumulating numbers as an average guy, but the conversation never takes off. I'm assuming an average girl would have way more than me. That creates an illusion of both parts being high in demand, and makes you not put much effort since there are plenty of options on the line. This is not realistic.

In our society, usually is the Male's job to start the conversation. So I imagine a girl getting so many messages she can't focus. As a result, she will just pick the best looking, tallest, etc.. even if is not realistic and ghost the rest.

For me, since most conversations resulted in nothing I didn't bother to put any effort on the messages since you have to shoot to many of them and hope one will answer.

In the end, both parts are wasting their time. What is the point of accumulating hundreds of matches?

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Great article. Bucket of cold water.

Online dating sucks and with all the swipey apps I absolutely feel dating is worse today than it was even 10 years ago during the height of match.com/browser based dating websites. It really does inpersonalize the process to a degree that is almost dystopian. I'm very guilty of this with mindlessly swiping and often thinking of it as a social video game. It's fun until you want to actually go on a date and then it's not any more haha.

It's hard to meet up because one of us always ghosts or has something come up. Or the back and forth messages bore to tears. And because there are so many other potential matches nothing feels like it has consequence or is even real.

The whole numbers game mentality has ruined dating.