• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think animated avatars should be a thing? (Hint: it already is)

• Yea

• Nay

• Dont Care either way

• Let people choose if they want to see animates avatars or not in Preferences

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
j0laDPw.gif

All for

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
They become distracting and are just more to load on the server.
Especially with the way we're growing it'll just be that much more strain.

I suppose that's the only issue with allowing choice.

Even if we set it so animated ones can be turned off, if they actually are a strain on the servers, they should probably be removed before people are too used to them. Especially during stuff like E3 time where we'll probably experience heavy load.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even if we set it so animated ones can be turned off, if they actually are a strain on the servers, they should probably be removed before people are too used to them. Especially during stuff like E3 time where we'll probably experience heavy load.
The size limit is what it is, so they shouldn't be a bigger strain. It's just an aesthetic thing.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure if it's tasteful enough it can be okay?

It'll be pretty sad if a feature that used right can be cool, was removed because of a technicouloured pepe avatar
-_-

-_-

-_-

Dre

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If the servers can handle it, I think we should keep them. Having an option to disable them in the user settings should be mandatory though. Not everybody wants to see them.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

Yeah once we get to large events, having that much more is going to destroy the servers. It's better to disable them now than take them away later.
Especially for a young server that hasn't had a real stress test.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going to leave choice, please dear God off by default. Non members don't have a choice about what or what not to view and most prefer a clean look.

Still no. I truly beleive it lowers the quality of discussion because they are so distracting.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yay.

People on GAF didn't like the new avatar rule at first, but I guess people got used to static images over the years.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Was trying to find my post, but realized that was a different thread, lol.

Anyways, I'm still yes, but okay with the newly added last option as well.

bruhh

Oct 26, 2017
Choice is a bad idea.

All avatars (including garbage GIFs) or absolutely no avatar? What a shitty choice. Either option results in a drastically inferior experience than disabling animation.

Banning GIFs is one of the few good changes GAF made.

edit: I'm assuming selectively blocking GIFs won't work. Plus it will be a hard to find feature for many people and a non-existent option for non members.

Awful idea. This isn't a shitty 2004 gaming forum with 20 people.

Wark

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I'd say no, but I guess it doesn't really hurt anything as long as they aren't too obnoxious. I could switch back to the animated fire version of my avatar I had before GAF got rid of the animated avatars, I guess.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Urgh...

With every animated avatar i see, i hate them more and more. They're like an annoying sound you can't do anything about... Please, get rid of them.

Not to mention the random motion being nauseating. Now it ain't limited to certain direction even anymore :(

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Kotaku: "And just like that, fledgling forum Resetera was destroyed by animated avatars"

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
No. Distracting as all hell.

If we have to keep them just institute some rules. No rapid movement, no bright moving colours etc.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
Animated 'tars were one of my favorite things from the 1up Yours era, I love them. My favorite avatars were animated.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Why not ?

As long as it's not flashing colors / lewd stuff and a small file size, it's fine I think.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Animated avatars are a slippery slope to custom signatures and tags and animated posts with sound. Can we endure such hedonism

Status
Not open for further replies.