• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My prediction is that GoW versus RDR2 is going to be the dumbest GOTY war yet.

It's annoying because many people vehemently batting for a side or the other haven't even played the other. Hell some of the most liked "It should have been RDR2, God of War was just the same thing but slightly different" type tweets etc have those same people later admitting they never even played the game!

I personally absolutely loved both, but I can absolutely appreciate why God of War took it. I think The Game Awards nailed the awards really, whilst RDR2 excels in audiovisuals, characters, narrative, expanse of its world etc (things God of War also does incredibly well), God of War exels in actual gameplay, combat, controls, level design etc (things RDR2 isn't always quite so successful in). Clearly many prioritise the latter over the former, and as a result voted the way they did. Rather than be bitter about it, celebrate that we had such incredible games this year. As mentioned, I absolutely adored both, though I too would put God of War ahead.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is one of the best game this gen, regardless of GOTY counts, and its score reflect that.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying because many people vehemently batting for a side or the other haven't even played the other. Hell some of the most liked "It should have been RDR2, God of War was just the same thing but slightly different" type tweets etc have those same people later admitting they never even played the game!

I personally absolutely loved both, but I can absolutely appreciate why God of War took it. I think The Game Awards nailed the awards really, whilst RDR2 excels in audiovisuals, characters, narrative, expanse of its world etc (things God of War also does incredibly well), God of War exels in actual gameplay, combat, controls, level design etc (things RDR2 isn't always quite so successful in). Clearly many prioritise the latter over the former, and as a result voted the way they did. Rather than be bitter about it, celebrate that we had such incredible games this year. As mentioned, I absolutely adored both, though I too would put God of War ahead.

My opinion too. God of War is higher than RDR2 in my GOTY list too. But I'm happy for both games. Equally happy for Florence and Fortnite. Games have been pretty good in 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
I like reading the lists and the motivations, even though the two games I find the best this year (Astro Bot and Hitman 2) probably won't win much. It's always the juggernauts that sweep.

But it's been like that ever year.
2017 - Prey
2016 - The Witness
2014 - Tropical Freeze

Phenomenal games that didn't win much.

At least Bloodborne won a few big ones in 2015.

The best things about these lists is finding interesting perspectives on games I might not be all that familiar with. Parkin's New Yorker list being a good example.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My opinion too. God of War is higher than RDR2 in my GOTY list too. But I'm happy for both games. Equally happy for Florence and Fortnite. Games have been pretty good in 2018.

Which reminds me, I really need to try Florence. I hadn't even heard of it before the show. Wish they'd have special Game Awards discounts for all nominated or winning picks, then again it's only £3 lol...

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I'm sure it will get overlooked by most and I understand why given the competition but damn......Insomniac did such a great job with Spider-Man.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Am I the only one who thinks GOTY awards are completely pointless? There is no benefit to judging a number of games against each other on the basis of the launch date.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually surprised GOW is pulling through. I thought for sure RDR2 was going to sweep because it just came out and thus its fresher on everybody's mind. It really is going to be 2013 all over again.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I did this for another thread but I'd figure it would could be interesting reference.
These are the percentages of the games with the most won GOTYs per year for the gotyblog site.
Here's by year:
2003: KOTOR - 46%
2004: Half-Life 2 - 38%
2005: RE4 - 57%
2006: Oblivion - 35%
2007: Bioshock - 29%
2008: Fallout 3 -33%
2009: Uncharted 2 - 52%
2010: Red Dead Redemption - 38%
2011: Skyrim - 56%
2012: The Walking Dead - 19%
2013: TLOU - 47%
2014: DA Inquistion - 32%
2015: Witcher 3 - 58%
2016: Uncharted 4 - 40%
2017: BOTW - 57%

The top 5 are:
1. Witcher 3 - 58%
2. BOTW - 57%
3. RE4 - 57%
4. Skyrim - 56%
5. Uncharted 2 - 52%

The lowest 5 are:
5. Oblivion - 35%
4. Fallout 3 -33%
3. DA Inquistion - 32%
2. Bioshock - 29%
1.The Walking Dead - 19%

Here are the follow ups per year + the GAF/ERA winners:
2003: Wind Waker (20%)
2004: Halo 2 (20%) and San Andreas (16%) - (MG3 was GAF's goty and that won 3%)
2005: Shadow of the Colossus (9%) and God of War (6%) - (RE4 was GAF's goty)
2006: Gears of War (30%) and Twilight Princess (23%) - (Twilight Princess was GAF's goty)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy (28%) and Call of Duty 4 (13%) - (Galaxy was GAF's goty)
2008: GTA IV (19%) and MGS 4 (18%) - (MGS4 was GAF's goty)
2009: Arkahm Asylum (14%) and Modern Warfare 2 (12%) - (Uncharted 2 was GAF's goty) - [Demon's Souls with 1%]
2010: Mass Effect 2 (35%) and Super Mario Galaxy 2 (6%) - (ME2 was GAF's goty) - [New Vegas with 1%]
2011: Portal 2 (14%) and Arkham City (9%) - (Portal 2 was GAF's goty) - [Dark Souls with 1%]
2012: Journey (14%) and Far Cry 3 (13%) - (Journey was GAF's goty) - [This year had the most amount of games with more than 20 GOTY awards, 9 in total]
2013: GTA V (30%) and Bioshock Infinite (8%) - (TLOU was GAF's goty) - [This year had the most GOTY awards given to games]
2014: Shadow of Mordor (11%) and Mario Kart 8 (6%) - (Bayonetta 2 was GAF's goty and that won 5%) - [This year has the most games with at least 1 GOTY won]
2015: Fallout 4 (13%) and Bloodborne (7%) - (BB was GAF's goty)
2016: Overwatch (24%) and DOOM (7%) - (U4 was GAF's goty)
2017: Horizon (15%) and Super Mario Odyssey (7%) - (BOTW is ERA's goty) - [Automata and Persona 5 with 0.03%]

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Maybe it's because I'm just annoyed that I rarely share the popular opinion but I've never been a fan of the awards season. It's best to me when it recommends games I wouldn't have otherwise played (Hitman 2016 being a good example) and I do enjoy watching/reading the GOTY lists of people I like, but I really don't care much for the whole 'who will win the most and from whom?' fantasy football-esque aspect of it.
I must say I am glad we've got the ignore thread button now lol

Last edited:

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
IGN posted their nominees yesterday but nothing about when they'll announce the winner, there is also a public vote.

Sep 7, 2018
What will be interesting to me is in those that do their GOTYs late, where will SSBU factor in? I would think it will at least make some lists, if not win a few. Little bit of strange placement for it and XC2 last year. Just a tough time to release to be a real contender in a lot of lists.

May 5, 2018
Props to Mashable for naming GOTY to...

Return of the Obra Dinn. Good on Lucas Pope. Never played Papers Please but Obra Dinn is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead 2 is better but GoW was great too. Just hope they improve godawful sea graphics and some textures . It looks so out of place when some parts looks CGI level when some parts look like God of War 3
controls is what holds red dead back I believe, if they had a more streamlined control scheme along with tight controls they should of taken most of the W's

Oct 25, 2017
Having recently beaten RDR2, I'm curious to see which one will garner more awards. It's hard for me to chose between GoW and RDR2. GoW played so well, was incredibly focused and had some really great emotional moments. But RDR2's entirety of chapter 6 is in my top 10 gaming moments.

Tough year.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 should win by a large margin but being the best doesn't secured any victory.
This will be so fun rs , and God of War is the best ;)
if you check the GOTY blog then you will see that near half of UC4 votes were from Readers as opposed to Overwatch which the majority were from critics.
If I am not wrong,Overwatch has only 1 more critic choice.
Sales alone prove that's not the case. It steam rolled everything.
Yeah,and COD is GOTY every year lol
RDR is going to win once the big name sites start posting their lists.
I expect the opposite,once the big sites start posting,God of War will edge.IGN,Gamespot,GamesRadar,EZA I expect all to give for God of War,maybe Polygon and Game Informer too.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will be so fun rs , and God of War is the best ;)

If I am not wrong,Overwatch has only 1 more critic choice.

Yeah,and COD is GOTY every year lol

I expect the opposite,once the big sites start posting,God of War will edge.IGN,Gamespot,GamesRadar,EZA I expect all to give for God of War,maybe Polygon and Game Informer too.
I'd be shocked if Game Informer gave it to God of War. They have a habit of giving GOTY to the game they gave a 10/10 to and RDR2 is the only game that got a 10 from them this year. Not only that but I watched two of their staff's live reaction to The Game Awards and they both acted like God of War only won b/c not enough of the press probably finished RDR2. They are biased and it clearly shows.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be shocked if Game Informer gave it to God of War. They have a habit of giving GOTY to the game they gave a 10/10 to and RDR2 is the only game that got a 10 from them this year. Not only that but I watched two of their staff's live reaction to The Game Awards and they both acted like God of War only won b/c not enough of the press probably finished RDR2. They are biased and it clearly shows.
Yeah,I watched too,what was that shit?,unprofessional,funny before the announcement no one said that,but watching others podcasts,RDR 2 received a mixed reception between the staff,but yeah,they always give the GOTY for the 10/10 game,was Game Informer among TGA jury ?If yes,they probably chose RDR2 and that is why they were so surprised.
EZA reaction was so good :D

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah,I watched too,what was that shit?,unprofessional,funny before the announcement no one said that,but watching others podcasts,RDR 2 received a mixed reception between the staff,but yeah,they always give the GOTY for the 10/10 game,was Game Informer among TGA jury ?If yes,they probably chose RDR2 and that is why they were so surprised.
EZA reaction was so good :D
Yeah they are on the jury for TGA. Like you said they probably voted RDR2 but were beaten out by other outlets choosing God of War.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So far, The Ringer vote not added yet so it would be 9:8.

The Winners of this year

God of War - 9

The Critics' Picks - 8

The Readers' Picks - 1

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 7

The Critics' Picks - 6

The Readers' Picks - 1

Fortnite Battle Royale - 2

Florence - 1

Monster Hunter: World - 1

Return of the Obra Dinn - 1

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
I am just glad to see Into the Breach getting the nods it is getting. My personal GOTY and I think it encapsulates the true spirit of GOTY season, appreciating the medium we love. It shouldn't be a fight.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
While I've no doubt that GoW will walk away with the most GOTY awards this year, this wasn't true in 2016 when Overwatch won TGA GOTY. That year most of the big sites gave it to Uncharted 4.

Overwatch won in almost all the important sites in 2016, but Uncharted 4 ended on top because of the lesser known sites and readers vote.

This year will be more even I think, from what I've heard IGN and Easy Allies are going to GoW, while GameInformer and Edge will go to RDR2 I guess.

Reader's vote are in the air but RDR2 has more chances I would say.