Listonosh

Oct 25, 2017
Are you being intentionally disingenuous?

She offended a respectful significant community member and accused him of mansplaining whilst he was being nothing but respectful. The hate mob kicked in *after* that. She previously said amazingly disrepectful things about a man dying of cancer. Both of these online, with her employers name dragged into the dirt.

She and a male colleague then got fired for their actions - no evidence that the firing was related to the reaction of the rampant sexist mob. Not sure why you try to conflate the two to excuse her actions.

She then said that her CEO was sexist even though there was no evidence of that.

It's bad that the hate mob came out, and once again the idiot, dark side of the web comes to the fore, but that should not be used to excuse her actions or condemn ANet.
Exactly this^ After seeing some of her past tweets, and then her response to someone being respectful to her, I think she definitely deserved to be fired. Publically fired like she was? Probably not, it seems like ANet was bent on getting more fans on making this a spectacle, but either way I think parting ways with her was the right move

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was pretty rude to the guy for no good reason. Firing seems a bit much though. At my place they'd probably have sent her on a course to work on her people skills first. Seems like she could use one of those tbh. The guy deffo didn't deserve it though.

Regardless of whether it was warranted or not, Arenanet really handled this whole thing badly either way.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

I get the feeling that the reason you're defending Price so hard is not because of sexism but because being fired for being an asshole to people online hits home to you.

The fact that you did the "What if I did what she did? Would I be fired then?" question twice and admit that you're teetering on a ban for hostility, well, thou dost protest to much.

It seems just about everyone agrees he didn't deserve to be fired, so I'd guess they were so desperate to appease the mob that they kicked Fries to the curb too without realizing they didn't have to. Alternatively, he might have continued to defend her during a disciplinary meeting or demanded they fire him too (he seems weirdly nonchalant about the whole thing on Twitter). Unlike Price, we don't really have any information about why he was fired or what exactly transpired with him.

*Man is fired for defending a woman and actually doing nothing* "Oh man, sucks for him then." "I dunno why they do that, but eh, whatever."

No, actually:

*Woman is fired for doing something wrong* "Sexism in progress. We women are the only ones beholden to such high standards like not being an asshole."

*White man is fired for defending the above woman* "Oh wow, that's weird, I wonder why they did that."

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, maybe Im an idiot, but can someone explain what the "controversy" is here?

Way I see it, there are 2 publicly available instances of her being completely unprofessional while being directly linked to the company she works at.

Is that not grounds for termination?

Well for starters, the person who got fired has political leanings that align with most of this forum, and the people advocating for her termination don't.

IMO in an ideal world, someone wouldn't immediately lose their job for making dumb but otherwise inoffensive posts.

Oct 27, 2017
Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

It seems just about everyone agrees he didn't deserve to be fired, so I'd guess they were so desperate to appease the mob that they kicked Fries to the curb too without realizing they didn't have to. Alternatively, he might have continued to defend her during a disciplinary meeting or demanded they fire him too (he seems weirdly nonchalant about the whole thing on Twitter). Unlike Price, we don't really have any information about why he was fired or what exactly transpired with him.

We know he's out of a job, we know he's a man, we know what he said was less offensive than Price and we know he was there a lot longer than Price was.

It holes the sexism argument below the waterline.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This streamer dude was mansplaining, no doubt about it. If Jessica Price was a dude complaining about MMO writing nothing would happen.

Sexism is subtle but it's there and it's the result.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Nobody's on GG's side though.

Contrary to popular belief, this isn't "Price vs GG", hell GG only latched on AFTER the fact.

Price was completely unprofessional while representing ANET and was fired because of it. Thats all. I don't believe there's a deeper narrative here.

Anet fucked up by firing her publicly, yes. But do you think her being fired wouldn't have come out?
Of course her being fired would come to light. But how ANet frames that action or reprimands online interaction around it matters.

Hey, apparently you don't need to actually need to say things to actually say things.

Regardless, though, replying to "She was fired for her actions" with "Well what about the entirely different women who are harassed by Gamergate after this happened (implying that somehow they wouldn't harass women)".

I mean, fucking "I'm going to get this woman fired" isn't even a new thing for them.
Again, no fucking shit women got harassed before Price. But were Price or Fries pulled aside about their social media before, or were they were just fired? When this shit blows up because of GG-types, ANet should have been way more fucking aware as to who this enables.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So a woman gets annoyed with a man on Twitter. She feels disrespected and tells him to stop talking to her.
This is a gross oversimplification and flat out ignoring of some of the facts. She wasn't "just annoyed" with him. She responded in a very toxic way to someone who was speaking to her 100% respectfully.

For many privileged people, they react extremely angrily to various marginalized groups because they subconsciously (or actively) view those groups as lesser people who are not only being disrespectful but also sabotaging the basic social order by criticizing and being rude to their betters.
This describes how Jessica acted to a 'T'. How dare someone question her, or as she seems to portray him "Allow me--a person who does not work with you--explain to you how to do your job." He clearly only responded to her because she's a female game dev who doesn't know how to do her job, right? Because that's what Jessica seems to believe.

You want this so badly to be a case of misogyny, but it's not. Her actions negatively affected company image. That's grounds for firing no matter a persons gender, as seen by Price (a male) being fired for joining in and being a part of it.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
legit shocked by the number of people who, in a post-GG world, still think ArenaNet did absolutely nothing wrong here

Oct 25, 2017
ArenaNet must've known how aggressive Jessica Price can be on Twitter when they hired her so the way they handled this is really stupid.

With that said, Price got herself fired through her own actions. Giving credit to gamergate is what's emboldening them, not the firing itself. We can acknowledge that both Price's shittiness and gamergate's harassment of women are awful while also acknowledging that one is far worse than the other. People really need to stop seeing this shit in black and white if we want to have any chance of stopping such toxicity.

This is pretty much where I'm at. The need to see grey situations as black or white is an issue.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
The best response from Deroir in this situation is none at all. It's not a physical space, if you want to leave any online conversation simply stop responding. Saying "I'm leaving this conversation" is a statement in and of itself. He was making a statement to people reading that thread, not a "polite withdrawal" as some like to characterize it.

I'm not saying he's a coded sexist, nor am I saying he was "more wrong" than Price. I'm also not saying he was on par in rudeness with Price. But he continued a hostile conversation that he didn't have to.

He was also trying to clear the air that he wasn't trying to engage in a fight. She wanted a fight and she now has to deal with the consequences of her actions. After reading all the sides I side with Arenanet on this issue but not on the firing of Fries. He was not antagonistic in the situation and he was backing up his friend and co-worker in a non hostile way. Why isn't the Arenanet response in the OP BTW?

I got the arenanet statement from Yong Yea where he goes over it in detail in this video if you want to check a look. I'm an ally of feminists but if I was in charge of Anet and this happened where my dev was trying to instigate a fight with someone who was polite and clearly not looking for that fight I would be on the edge of it anyways but likely a one time warning. Going after one of the bigger influencers though that helps drive people to the game and keeps them engaged in playing through a shared community? That axe is coming down.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
1. People are upset at Deroir for what they believe to be patronizing, sexist comments.
2. People are upset at Price for what they believe to be rude, insulting, unprovoked commments.
3. People are upset at the criticism Price got for her comments to Deroir.
4. People are upset about the harassment Price received once news hit r/gaming and r/all
5. People are upset at Mike O'Brien for enacting too harsh a punishment on Price and Fries and in too public of a way.
6. GamerGate just wants to shit all over everyone.

Bad scene. Everyone's fault.

Yea, I can't help but agree. Extremely poorly handled by nearly all parties. My kind of feelings here are this.

I think for me, reading into this. The step too far was pretty much immediate. Her responding in a way to Deroir, that turned a fairly innocent (and maybe misinformed) response and labeling, while maybe not literally, as being toxic male behavior. It felt extremely undeserved and demeaning to him as a community member. And a more respected/active one at that? (That's the impression I got). She turned the lense of the discussion at him, targeted him. Instead of just responding in a way that would have been at least reasonably copacetic. Also nothing in their discussion pointed at it having anything to do with sexism in any way. I can see why she was fired in this situation (Originally maybe not, but obvious as it continued to spiral I'm not sure how much choice was left). Personally I don't see his response as being any different from someone responding to a thread here and stating their opinion. I don't believe that kind of behavior from Price would have been tolerated here, and I kind of use RE as a benchmark, of at least decently civil discourse on the web.

So I guess

1. At least on initial comment, I absolutely do not see where Deroir applied sexist or demeaning comments, even after her response, he says
Deroir said:
You getting mad at my obvious attempt at creating dialogue and discussion with you, instead of just replying that I am wrong or otherwise correct me in my false assumptions, is really just disheartening for me. You do you though. I'm sorry if it offended. I'll leave you to it.
. Sure it feels a little passive aggressive, but honestly I would feel a little spurned too, after just trying to engage in a dialogue with someone.

2. I basically just agree with this. I mean I think objectively she was being rude, likely feeding off many other past interactions with shitty people, who I'm sure we're being misogynistic. But it's no excuse for that kind of behavior. If it was nearly everyone would get a free "snapped" pass. Where we just get too agitated and snap at someone. Which seems is what may have happened here.

3. People from this point on begin to basically blow it out of proportion and it quickly spirals out of control. To the point where simple actions are no longer an option. Everything from 3-6 just starts becoming a shit storm that nobody walks away from unscathed lol.

Seems like fries was just a casualty in the crossfire though unfortunately. Honestly all of this could have been kept at a civil level I'm sure. But it doesn't seem anything is capable of staying grounded with the social media behavior of today.

a stray cat

Nov 13, 2017
Bay Area
I can't help but feel weird about all this.

You have someone as prominent as Kamiya insulting everyone left and right on Twitter and people celebrate his tweets for 'owning' people, yet for the western market, the reaction gaming communities have towards western game company employees are a lot more toxic, and you have those under 'GG' who will latch onto anything to 'own the libs' so to say.

I guess I just feel weird about it because the expectations gaming communities have of employees are out of wack and can change drastically depending on the specific developer. It's okay when one employee from one company does it, but the end of the world if another employee from another company does the same thing.
Kamiya is hardly responding to polite criticism.

Also Kamiya is a much bigger part of his brand, and his personality feeds that brand.

Remember

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Chicago, IL United States
Kamiya works for Kamiya and there are plenty of people who find him annoying

People gotta drop that comparison

Exactly and people don't get this. The same applies for people Cliffy B and J.K. Rowling, Cardi B., Kanye and more. When you're the person in charge and/or you continue being the best for business, you can damn near say whatever you want and get away with it. Like I said above, this is why certain musicians, high paid athletes and high paid actors get away with toxic tweets.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah it's crazy to me how people are spinning this to make him the bad guy here, he did nothing wrong and she was rude to him

If she wasn't rude to him, or if she ignored him, she'd still be in her job
Yup. There's a lot of talk about the mob attacking Price and rightfully so, but Deroir has pretty damn disgusting stuff thrown at him too as earlier shared tweet here where he was basically called a potential rapist/abuser. "You're that kind of person women fear to be alone with". Neither Price (or other devs) and Deroir deserve any of this shit from people. Price was already fired, yet people are still jumping on her and it's uncalled for. She made a mistake (imo and she's only human), she faced concequences yet people are still after her (and other devs).

Last edited:

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
But were Price or Fries pulled aside about their social media before, or were they were just fired? When this shit blows up because of GG-types, ANet should have been way more fucking aware as to who this enables.

Yeah, sure, okay, but what does that have to do with other women being harassed?

Oh no, a nondescript movement of people you've already been blaming for any mass harassment towards women for years will now start harassing women... the exact same way? It's rather unclear.

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this. At the least it's to save their own asses for firing a woman over an ostensibly feminist issue.

EDIT: A lot of the people here would have a better standing if they actually factored in Fries but mostly people only see Price being fired, and if they don't they don't know what Fries actually did, which was nothing.

I want to know the, uh, ratio of people who think Price was unjustly fired but Fries was.

I read what fries posted. The fundamental issue there was that he wholly supported Price and while more tonally acceptable still doubled down of the "Price did nothing wrong" narrative metaphorically calling Deroir a layman to Price's professional astronomer and again attacking his standing to respond to or disagree with her posts. He then continues the "personal twitter account (complete with employer in profile)" excuse.

Deserving of firing? In my opinion no. No doubt there was a public influence on this.

Oct 25, 2017
This streamer dude was mansplaining, no doubt about it. If Jessica Price was a dude complaining about MMO writing nothing would happen.

Sexism is subtle but it's there and it's the result.

Deroir would have said the exact same thing, verbatim, if it was a male writer. If you want to call it unintentionally condsencing, sure. Mainsplaining, probably not.

Dec 14, 2017
and this is the problem

as someone living in a scandinavian country i am baffled by the non-existent employee protection some us states have
A union lawyer once described his time teaching in Europe. He says he made the mistake if exokaing "at-will" employment and then had to devote massive amounts of time rehashing the concert in every class because Europeans simply could not fathom such a lopsided power structure.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I talked to a friend who works at ArenaNet about this--not really intending to, he broached the matter when I hadn't really heard about it yet--and the gist of it I got from him was:

1. The company knew Price was outspoken on social media when they hired her and did not have a problem with it.
2. The employee in question focused a lot on how apparently some members of their community were crowing about how they "have all the power" and "have ANet by the throat" and could "make them fire anyone, anytime, so they'd better watch their step".
3. Related to the above, probably, but there's just a general feeling of intimidation and unease at the company now.
4. The employee in question thought it was possible to be fired for practically anything at this point, even if social media was avoided entirely, just in the instance where someone records something said in private and connects it with the employee's identity.

Not going to register a judgment one way or the other, just thought the perspective from an employee might be worthwhile to someone. The obvious caveats apply: the employee should not be assumed to be representative of the entire company or to be in possession of perfect information on the matter.

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
Deroir's response shows his true colors. Turning himself into a victim displays male fragility and this false civility act is used as a weapon to antagonize women dev's, just because you're nice to someone doesn't mean you're owed a civil response when you're mansplaining and telling a woman dev how to do her job. Firing her to please a bunch of gamergaters is bad for the industry and further promotes harassment campaigns.

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

You have someone as prominent as Kamiya insulting everyone left and right on Twitter and people celebrate his tweets for 'owning' people, yet for the western market, the reaction gaming communities have towards western game company employees are a lot more toxic, and you have those under 'GG' who will latch onto anything to 'own the libs' so to say.

I guess I just feel weird about it because the expectations gaming communities have of employees are out of wack and can change drastically depending on the specific developer. It's okay when one employee from one company does it, but the end of the world if another employee from another company does the same thing.

I believe the issue here is that Kamiya insulted everyone, not a specific individual.

Also? There was a TON of backlash on his tweets.

Deleted member 15326

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The existence of gamergate is not a license to insult your employer's customers have n public due to perceived slights

As we move into year four of gamergate with the industry at large doing fuck all, don't let people with no actual stakes in your employment gas you up into thinking otherwise

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I do think she came down a bit harsh on the initial tweet, however, as a woman, and in this vile climate we currently find ourselves in, I know I personally view every message I receive through a very cautious lens. In a way I am guessing most men don't have to. She may have jumped the gun on this particular tweet and went on the defensive early, but I can hardly blame her when this is so incredibly prevalent and more and more of these GG losers are using different tactics and setting traps to weasel their way into conversations or good graces of women on social media.

ArenaNet's very public and rapid firing of these two employees over this is really gross and uncalled for in any event and it questions the intentions of their actions of doing it this way in the first place.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deroir's would have said the exact same thing, verbatim, if it was a male writer. If you want to call it unintentionally condsencing, sure. Mainsplaining, probably not.

I think the argument is that he would not have said anything if it was a male writer. The idea behind 'mansplaining' is men explaining things women already know because they are women.

I'm not saying I neccessarily think he was doing that, as much as it is a thing a lot of women deal with and so it's not hard to see why someone might snap at what looks like the 300th time it has happened that week.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Frankly, I feel like this is the sort of situation which is at its core little more than a poor social interaction which is latched onto by various people who find it as a convenient excuse to demonize some group that they already hated anyway.

Or another way of looking at things: men love telling an outspoken woman how to talk properly and this is a prime example of this across the board. Just check out all the men in this thread getting off on stating how inappropriate this female game developer was. Then add all the bad faith diet Gamergaters in this community and it's a perfect mixture to shit on a game developer while absolving a shitty company for throwing their employees under the bus. And so it becomes a discussion about the victim (Price) instead of the abuser (Arena.net) and "moderates" / "Both sides" are falling for it.

Just like I saw in other communities in 2014

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
legit shocked by the number of people who, in a post-GG world, still think ArenaNet did absolutely nothing wrong here

The way AreaNet handled and announced her firing absolutely could have been handled better.

The fact that she still believes she was fired because of sexism and Deroir only made that tweet because she's female is amazing in and of itself. She truly refuses to see things in any way other than how she wants things to be.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017

kamiya works for an entirely different company, with an entirely different internal structure, in an entirely different position, located on literally the other side of the world, in an entirely different country with an entirely different culture.

that being said, i dont think going "but look at how much of a dick Kamiya is being on twitter" is a justification at all (i know thats not what you are doing)

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
Deroir's response shows his true colors. Turning himself into a victim displays male fragility and this false civility act is used as a weapon to antagonize women dev's, just because you're nice to someone doesn't mean you're owed a civil response when you're mansplaining and telling a woman dev how to do her job. Firing her to please a bunch of gamergaters is bad for the industry and further promotes harassment campaigns.
I do agree he was passive aggressive with painting himself as a victim.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deroir would have said the exact same thing, verbatim, if it was a male writer. If you want to call it unintentionally condsencing, sure. Mainsplaining, probably not.
Agree to disagree. There's also this deeper problem where random gamers who don't make video games think they know how to make video games better than the actual devs and that also leads to toxic discourse and harassment but that's not what we're talking about.

ArenaNet fucked up.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
To anyone that believes in the Price deserved it narrative how does her co-worker getting fired to fit within that?
Cause everyone seems to magically ignore that.

Maybe American's just have this really skewed view about employment but to anyone with a brain jumping straight to firing people here was a terrible decision.

OP
OP
hydrophilic attack

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I talked to a friend who works at ArenaNet about this--not really intending to, he broached the matter when I hadn't really heard about it yet--and the gist of it I got from him was:

1. The company knew Price was outspoken on social media when they hired her and did not have a problem with it.
2. The employee in question focused a lot on how apparently some members of their community were crowing about how they "have all the power" and "have ANet by the throat" and could "make them fire anyone, anytime, so they'd better watch their step".
3. Related to the above, probably, but there's just a general feeling of intimidation and unease at the company now.
4. The employee in question thought it was possible to be fired for practically anything at this point, even if social media was avoided entirely, just in the instance where someone records something said in private and connects it with the employee's identity.

Not going to register a judgment one way or the other, just thought the perspective from an employee might be worthwhile to someone. The obvious caveats apply: the employee should not be assumed to be representative of the entire company or to be in possession of perfect information on the matter.
this shows just how moronic the company was in this decision

if these sentiments are indeed widespread, they're going to lose a lot more talent over the coming months as their employees leave for less toxic employees

Oct 27, 2017

Basically everything in this post is rubbish, from the amateur psychology to the characterisation of the tweets to presuming to know exactly why she was fired.

Oct 28, 2017
I think O'Brien's statement was perfect.

ZmtMoXY.png

Whatever Jessica and Peter felt internally about the situation, this was objectively a customer engaging us respectfully and professionally, presenting a suggestion for our game. Any response from our company needed to be respectful and professional. A perceived slight doesn't give us license to attack.

And that's what it boils down to in the end. If Deroir was being rude and genuinely abusive, i'd be the first to scream in Jessica's defence, but the absolute reality of the situation is that he wasn't. Jessica took criticism as a personal attack and lashed out in some unhinged frenzy, that made both her and her company look terrible.

Trying to spin it so she is the victim and the GW2 community drove her out because sexism is so utterly disingenuous and I'm honestly so disappointed people are falling for it. The games media pushing this when the evidence clearly doesn't back it up just makes me lose whatever faith I had left in them. They're intentionally misleading their readers, for either clicks/ad revenue (most likely) or more worryingly, to spread outrage to further splinter the gaming community. Either way, they should be ashamed of themselves.

BeeKaine

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I think the argument is that he would not have said anything if it was a male writer. The idea behind 'mansplaining' is men explaining things women already know because they are women.

I'm not saying I neccessarily think he was doing that, as much as it is a thing a lot of women deal with and so it's not hard to see why someone might snap at what looks like the 300th time it has happened that week.

It's confusing as hell because I hear a lot about how it's mansplaining because he is a man "condescending" to a woman, but not because what he's actually saying it condescending (hence the "you don't have to be rude to be rude" or whatever the hell [actually I get what they mean but it's way the hell off]) but because, again, he's a man "explaining things" to a woman.

Or another way of looking at things: men love telling an outspoken woman how to talk properly and this is a prime example of this across the board.

Exhibit A: It's "mansplaining" because "men love telling an outspoken woman how to talk properly" (also apparently no men are ever called assholes for being assholes ever).

So then by that logic what he's actually saying isn't condescending, so why would he speak any differently to the sex he isn't sexist to?

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
I think this could have been solved with a repremand from HR and an apology. The dev was in the wrong for the way they handled it, but this should have never risen to the level of someone, let alone two people losing their jobs.

I think that's a pretty solid opinion most people can agree with.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This response of "this totally ain't sexism bro" is exactly how the old site responded to GamerGate early on up until you had to be extremely obtuse to realize the movement's true intentions.

Oct 25, 2017

My post was basically disagreeing with this being an example of mansplaining. I won't tell Price how to interpret the interaction though, but knowing Deroir, he absolutely would have asked the same thing to a man.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

If for some reason this streamer decided to lecture a male writer on his job, then he probably wouldn't have had the reaction as he did with a female writer like Price. A male writer doesn't have to deal with being constantly lectured by nobodies on Twitter on how to do his job. It doesn't weigh on him as much when they get a dozen tweet thread by some streamer who is giving them a layman's explanation of a subject they are well learned in and have decades of professional experience in.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is utterly ridiculous.