Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Yoda acting like that was an act? His stature changes when he talks to Obi Wan and he becomes less goofy. RLM brought it up and it didn't occur to me until they did. I haven't watched ESB that closely but is that not the case?
Nah, even during Luke's training Yoda would hit him with a stick and act a little goofy. When Yoda came back it was during the moment that Luke was unsure about burning the Jedi tree. Yoda burns the tree down with out hesitation to remind Luke of his lesson" Do or do not there is no try." Yoda hits Luke with a stick because he forgot the lesson.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
What's sad is that Anakin and Luke's struggle more or less amounted to nothing.

60 years of struggles and wars and nothing was achieved. How depressing.
60 years isn't that long in this universe where Yoda was alive for 900 years and Yaddle spent 100 years in a hole. Anakin's struggles resulted in him destroying a thousand generation long institution and Luke's struggle resulted in the breaking down of the Jedi/Sith binary depending how this trilogy ends.

Last edited:

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why the origin of the idea should change anyone's minds about it.

I mean, star wars fans have blamed Lucas for ruining the series for far longer than they have blamed Rian Johnson.

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60 years isn't that long in this universe where Yoda was alive for 900 years and Yaddle spent 100 years in a hole. Anakin's struggles resulted in him destroying a thousand generation long institution and Luke's struggle resulted in the breaking down of the Jedi/Sith binary depending how this trilogy ends.

A lot destruction but what replaces it?

The 1st order have more hardware and firepower than the Empire ever had yet all Jedi are dead and the rebels without any decent leaders.

I can only imagine how this saga ends.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Luke secluding himself wasn't the problem since Lucas planned for the Republic to still be around in his ST.

It's the context. His reasons behind his seclusion, the way he handled Ben and his motivations that are.

Lucas' ST also would've had Kira/Rey training with Luke in Episode VII which would've been preferable to the minimal contact they had in TLJ.

Luke should've been Rey's father figure not Han.

This - Plus it's not like Lucas was ever thought to be 'infallible' either, so I'm not sure how this 'puts to rest' any sort of complaint about Luke's behavior, especially when the context would have been pretty different.

I'm also sensing a trend in the OP's thread making, lol. Just let people not like the movie, geez.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I seem to remember reading it was supposed to have the original cast play a much more prominent role, and then shift to the new cast as the series went on.

No, if anything there was less of the original cast. Poe's role was much bigger originally, but Abrams reduced it to give Han more screen time (and originally killed Poe as well).

Brera

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved when he had that milk coming down his beard and he looked at Rey and raised his mug.

Someone needs to gif that.

Could be the new lumberjack nod!

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Very sad at people being very bad at watching movies.

It's the moviepass. It makes me real lazy.

Luke going to a different planet was not the controversial part
How his character was, and how he ultimately never got involved directly face to face in the battle and died the way he did... I don't think Lucas came up with that

He died being a decoy. I mean there are far worse ways to go out I guess.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Luke going to a different planet was not the controversial part
How his character was, and how he ultimately never got involved directly face to face in the battle and died the way he did... I don't think Lucas came up with that

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to hear Lucas' outline for the whole trilogy after 9 is out. Anyways, best Star Wars flick since empire. Best live action flick to come out of Disney's franchises too in so long imo.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone has an issue with that part. It's the nearly murdering his nephew part for me. I was really hoping to learn something about the origins of the Jedi, which we didn't get. Not to mention, no scenes of Luke kicking ass one last time.

Luke being in exile wasn't controversial. Luke throwing Anakin's lightsaber over his shoulder like an SNL sketch and milking titties was controversial.

Also this. Everytime an emotionally powerful moment appears, like that scene, it gets ruined with a shitty slapstick joke. It happened throughout the entire movie. Really ruined the mood.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I really want to hear Lucas' outline for the whole trilogy after 9 is out. Anyways, best Star Wars flick since empire. Best live action flick to come out of Disney's franchises too in so long imo.

I don't think that'll ever happen with JJ involved with the franchise. They cancelled the TFA "making of" book because they didn't want to show the warts and all production to keep up appearances that Abrams is a god all his movies are perfect from the start. That's what the TFA documentary on the Blu-Ray tried to say too.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Luke sucking on them alien titties didn't make anyone laugh when I watched it. People were confused. But I found it funny. Lol.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Your post hahaha... btwI thought it was a funny scene. I guess we get a glimpse of the day in the life of a exiled jedi master.

So did i. Also, Luke was actually doing the animal a favour, as not milking it could cause its udder to get inflamed and infected. You could tell from the satisfied look it gave Rey how appreciative it was of Luke's service. That alone should settle any disputes about Luke's character in TLJ.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Heh, i like that this discards that rumor that "Kennedy took Lucas's ideas and immediately threw them in the trash."

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
You're right there was nothing to interpret because that is what he said and did. He did try to kill someone. He thought about it brandished his saber.

You should watch the movie again. Particularly the part where they retell that scene a third time. Trying to kill someone is not the same as considering the idea of killing someone. If that were true, millions of people have apparently tried to kill our president.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that'll ever happen with JJ involved with the franchise. They cancelled the TFA "making of" book because they didn't want to show the warts and all production to keep up appearances that Abrams is a god all his movies are perfect from the start. That's what the TFA documentary on the Blu-Ray tried to say too.

That's so lame. I wish Lucas made it a stipulation in the sale that his ideas were able to come out in a making of doc or something at least. It would be fascinating to see what he intended and it's not like it would effect these movies anyways since they could release it a year or so after 9

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, you shouldn't make these claims without receipts.

For all we know that book might still see release after IX, and it was cancelled/postponed due to spoilers/concepts that might have been or be used in VIII and IX.

The Art of TFA book explores the creatice process, scrapped ideas included, so I find it very hard to believe a certain 'narrative' about jj needs to be upheld. Also: the big majority of dvd extras are overly possitive and shallow pr-stuff

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I remember hearing the Kira idea being Lucas before but even with Luke being a grumpy old exile being Lucas' idea, it would have been better if they embraced his ideas a bit more the beginning starting with TFA. Maybe they could have avoided making mistake of trying to recreate the same set up as A New Hope.

It's kind of weird because I doubt this changes the discussion around what people did or didn't like, just how they will defend their opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
You're right there was nothing to interpret because that is what he said and did. He did try to kill someone. He thought about it brandished his saber.

Sorry don't mean to throw multiple posts out on the same discussion chain but it's actually the other way around. He saw the horrible vision, he instinctively lit his lightsaber and as that was happening he thought that maybe his instinct wasn't entirely wrong. He almost immediately rejected that idea but by the time Ben was awake, it was too late.

He never raised his saber against Ben, he only actually used it to defend himself.

It wasn't premeditated but he did think about killing Ben. He was never at any point close to acting on that thought. But it was the thought that ruined him.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it considered controversial? His last student and his nephew went to the dark side after he killed the rest of the students.

He never tried to kill Ben. They make that very very clear. He never rose the saber to strike.

Yeah he did for like a brief second, it's why the sword was open in the first place.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it considered controversial? His last student and his nephew went to the dark side after he killed the rest of the students.

Yeah he did for like a brief second, it's why the sword was open in the first place.
He didn't raise it over him except in Kylo's messed up vision. He lit it in response to what he saw in his head then imemdiatley looked at it in regret. Ben woke up while he was looking at it in regret.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't raise it over him except in Kylo's messed up vision. He lit it in response to what he saw in his head then imemdiatley looked at it in regret. Ben woke up while he was looking at it in regret.
It does not matter if it's a vision. It does not matter if he regretted it. He still did it. He was also carrying around a dangerous weapon around a bunch of students, like wtf.
The visual of a deranged-looking Luke actually striking at Ben was from Kylo Ren's recounting of events which was tainted by Snoke's influence and corruption. Luke never actually tried to attack Ben.
I don't think that's true, however I won't be seeing it again until April.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It does not matter if it's a vision. It does not matter if he regretted it. He still did it. He was also carrying around a dangerous weapon around a bunch of students, like wtf.

I don't think that's true, however I won't be seeing it again until April.

He was training Jedi...why wouldn't he have his lightsaber on him?

And yes it is true. There are two distinct versions of the events shown and Kylo's is different from Luke's.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
All the people saying "too much comedy," did you watch the original trilogy? Like at all?

Facepalm.
4405a77a674ab9651bb630d6b4e8eb3c.jpg

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

And yes it is true. There are two distinct versions of the events shown and Kylo's is different from Luke's.
Luke was training Jedi in the middle of the night? I doubt it, but it's semantics. And again I'll have to argue that I can't verify it right now so this conversation would best be suited in a few months ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

They're very similar both start with angry face Luke with the lightsaber in his hand. Kylo's has Luke swings down, Ren force pulls his light saber and activates it to defend himself. In Lukes angry face with lightsaber active followed by regret but the lightsaber is still on Ren force pulls his light saber to defend himself instinctively but luke isn't actually attacking and Luke swings down to defend himself from Ren using his lightsaber.

Same start same end devils in middle details.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, even during Luke's training Yoda would hit him with a stick and act a little goofy. When Yoda came back it was during the moment that Luke was unsure about burning the Jedi tree. Yoda burns the tree down with out hesitation to remind Luke of his lesson" Do or do not there is no try." Yoda hits Luke with a stick because he forgot the lesson.
Yoda also wants to keep Luke from leaning the books are gone.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Lucas does an outline of what he would have done with the ST before he dies. I think he lost it as a director and his dialogue writing is atrocious, but his story concepts are still interesting.

Oct 28, 2017
I'll just list the highlights for why the Luke scenes didn't work for most fans
- Luke tossing the saber over his shoulder like a Marx Bros comedy
- Luke pole-vaulting across the island on a 400 ft spear he uses for fishing
- Luke drinking milk from the teat of an animatronic island seal, swinging it and letting it run down his beard
- Awful island caretaker creature designs
- Mixed messages from the movie about the Jedi order, their old texts and its place in the future.