• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
I have major major problems with The Last Jedi and do consider it the weakest film in the franchise besides Episode 1 and 2. But I do like Luke training Rey. My problem was in the execution, Luke really doesn't train Rey much at all in the movie, all he does is do that one Rock meditation scene and the rest of the time he's either being a jerk or emotionally distant.

And maybe that's the point? That Luke was a shitty teacher? But it just feels like some major bonding scenes are missing.
And this is different from Yoda? He does a couple push ups and suddenly he can fight Vader on equal terms.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact Lucas created the plot element of a broken dark Luke who was in exile also heavily implies he likely also came up with the element of Luke's attempt at starting a new Jedi Order being a failure as well.
Exactly. As I've posted before. The story arc of Star Wars is pretty simple and obvious.

1st Trilogy - Fall of a Republic and the Jedi, and the rise of an Empire and the Sith. Anakin begins his journey to restore balance to The Force.

2nd Trilogy - Rebellion against the Empire and the fall of the Sith Lord who destroyed the Republic, which throws both the Rebellion and the Empire into chaos.

The effect of this is that Anakin does bring balance to the Force, but the rapid shift in the balance of power causes both the Rebellion and the Empire to become unstable. (Alternatively, one could say Anakin does not bring balance to the Force, but in fact Rey does later...)

3rd Trilogy - Infighting within both the Rebellion and the Empire cause them to be equally matched, and the war between the two actually becomes more destructive than ever. Due to this in fighting, Luke has failed to revive the Jedi. Rey finds him and eventually restores the order herself. Finn acts as the Leia in this trilogy and restores the Republic. The End.

That's the story I think Lucas was trying to tell, for a myriad of reasons he (and so far Disney) have failed to tell this story. Even though the story is obvious, it's about the journey, and there's a potential for a great journey in there.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
just curious but...why? given the unmitigated disaster that is the prequel trilogy, the ideal should be to put together the exact opposite of what lucas had planned
It at least gives the decision more of a sense of legitimacy. And the fact is, George Lucas is the creator or Luke Skywalker.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I don't think it was supposed to be a joke. Just Star Wars weirdness that's always been around.

It's supposed to be weird and kinda uncomfortable (look at Rey's reaction) and it's supposed to be showing you a Luke who has moved on from his former grace and dignity as a Jedi Master and the look he gives Rey is to tell you "I don't give a fuck how sad and insignificant I look to right now, you're not going to get me to change."

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure makes me happy. Man just more reason to laugh at the haters. Best film in the franchise imo and I loved how Luke became such a failure grump before finally realizing his purpose.

Good on George for weighing in on his own characters. Paid off perfectly and beautifully.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Exactly. As I've posted before. The story arc of Star Wars is pretty simple and obvious.

1st Trilogy - Fall of a Republic and the Jedi, and the rise of an Empire and the Sith. Anakin begins his journey to restore balance to The Force.

2nd Trilogy - Rebellion against the Empire and the fall of the Sith Lord who destroyed the Republic, which throws both the Rebellion and the Empire into chaos.

The effect of this is that Anakin does bring balance to the Force, but the rapid shift in the balance of power causes both the Rebellion and the Empire to become unstable. (Alternatively, one could say Anakin does not bring balance to the Force, but in fact Rey does later...)

3rd Trilogy - Infighting within both the Rebellion and the Empire cause them to be equally matched, and the war between the two actually becomes more destructive than ever. Due to this in fighting, Luke has failed to revive the Jedi. Rey finds him and eventually restores the order herself. Finn acts as the Leia in this trilogy and restores the Republic. The End.

That's the story I think Lucas was trying to tell, for a myriad of reasons he (and so far Disney) have failed to tell this story. Even though the story is obvious, it's about the journey, and there's a potential for a great journey in there.

Close but not cigar.

There were his plans before ROTJ:

• "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"
  • The next series film would "involve Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s."
  • Disney would probably use Lucas's outlines as the basis for the sequel trilogy. "That's in part what Disney bought."
  • The focus on Luke Skywalker's journey to becoming the premier Jedi Knight.
  • "Luke's sister", who was originally meant to be a new character (set to appear in Episode VIII). However by Return of the Jedi's final script, it was decided Leia would be retconned into being Luke's sister (a plot element further set in stone by Episode III: Revenge of the Sith).
  • The first appearance of the Emperor and Luke's ultimate confrontation with him. Both also fully happened within Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Lucas originally planned for both to happen in Episode IX), that specific storyline had been planned as early as pre-1980, according to A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back producer Gary Kurtz).
These were his plans post-ROTJ:

• Episode VII would begin roughly 20 (or perhaps 30–40) years after the end of Return of the Jedi (according to Lucas in 1980 and 1982).

• R2-D2 and C-3PO would be the only characters who might continue through all nine films (Lucas in 1980, 1981 and 1983).

• The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the Republic (Lucas in 1980).

• "It's like a saga, the story of a group of people, a family" (Lucas in 1980).

• Luke would have a romantic relationship with a female love interest (Lucas in 1988).

• The main theme of the trilogy would be moral and philosophical problems, such as the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned (Lucas in 1983 and 1989).
  • The key actors, Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Ford as Han Solo, and Fisher as Princess Leia, would appear, in their 60s or 70s (Lucas in 1983).

• In Episode IX, Hamill would cameo, "like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope" (according to Hamill, in 2004).

• "The other one — what happens to Luke afterward — is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If I'm really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke" (Lucas in 1980).
-----

So if GL was writing the Sequel Trilogy, it would be about Luke's kids, the themes would be about distinguishing right from wrong and justice and it would have dealt with the rebuilding of the Republic.

You wouldn't have the Republic falling again. You'd deal with the consequences of the Empire's fall.

George Lucas has been very adamant that Anakin brought balance to the Force when he ended the Sith so it likely wasn't about another Chosen One.

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many people are missing this point that I think it's Rian's fault for not making it more clear.

For all the evil that Vader had committed Luke still sensed a sliver of light within him. Snoke made it so when Luke sensed Ben all he saw was darkness. There was no battle going on in Ben the darkness had won.

Well, that's obviously not true, because in virtually every scene we've seen of him -- years after Luke "read" him -- he has been conflicted.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Close but not cigar.

There were his plans before ROTJ:

• "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'"
  • The next series film would "involve Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s."
  • Disney would probably use Lucas's outlines as the basis for the sequel trilogy. "That's in part what Disney bought."
  • The focus on Luke Skywalker's journey to becoming the premier Jedi Knight.
  • "Luke's sister", who was originally meant to be a new character (set to appear in Episode VIII). However by Return of the Jedi's final script, it was decided Leia would be retconned into being Luke's sister (a plot element further set in stone by Episode III: Revenge of the Sith).
  • The first appearance of the Emperor and Luke's ultimate confrontation with him. Both also fully happened within Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Lucas originally planned for both to happen in Episode IX), that specific storyline had been planned as early as pre-1980, according to A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back producer Gary Kurtz).
These were his plans post-ROTJ:

• Episode VII would begin roughly 20 (or perhaps 30–40) years after the end of Return of the Jedi (according to Lucas in 1980 and 1982).

• R2-D2 and C-3PO would be the only characters who might continue through all nine films (Lucas in 1980, 1981 and 1983).

• The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the Republic (Lucas in 1980).

• "It's like a saga, the story of a group of people, a family" (Lucas in 1980).

• Luke would have a romantic relationship with a female love interest (Lucas in 1988).

• The main theme of the trilogy would be moral and philosophical problems, such as the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned (Lucas in 1983 and 1989).
  • The key actors, Hamill as Luke Skywalker, Ford as Han Solo, and Fisher as Princess Leia, would appear, in their 60s or 70s (Lucas in 1983).

• In Episode IX, Hamill would cameo, "like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope" (according to Hamill, in 2004).

• "The other one — what happens to Luke afterward — is much more ethereal. I have a tiny notebook full of notes on that. If I'm really ambitious, I could proceed to figure out what would have happened to Luke" (Lucas in 1980).
-----

So if GL was writing the Sequel Trilogy, it would be about Luke's kids, the themes would be about distinguishing right from wrong and justice and it would have dealt with the rebuilding of the Republic.

You wouldn't have the Republic falling again. You'd deal with the consequences of the Empire's fall.

George Lucas has been very adamant that Anakin brought balance to the Force when he ended the Sith so it likely wasn't about another Chosen One.

That's cool and all, but what I find is without execution and a good script ... all the good conceptual stuff in the world means squat.

On paper, the prequels should be the most compelling story, but they are by far the worst of the Star Wars movies.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this makes people happier or angrier. But there you go, was part of the original outline for the trilogy Lucas put together before the Disney sale.

http://www.slashfilm.com/george-lucas-sequel-trilogy/

From the TLJ artbook we know Lucas came up with at least two major plot points that ended up being used in the ST:

- The lead being a girl who seeks out Luke to learn the ways of the Force. Lucas named her Kira, she got renamed Rey by Abrams. The concept art approved by Lucas remained mostly the same for Rey and the character design didn't change too dramatically.

- Lucas came up with the idea that Luke was broken and in a dark place emotionally who exiled himself from the Galaxy and had to be found and shaken out of his funk by Kira/Rey.

It'd be fun one day to find out what other plot elements from his outline survived.

What is interesting though is it seems Rian used more of Lucas's outline in TLJ than Abrams did in TFA since the Luke/Rey stuff was not used in 7 but was in 8.

Luke really isn't the issue I have with the films. I was absolutely fine with that component. So it has no bearing for me personally.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's supposed to be weird and kinda uncomfortable (look at Rey's reaction) and it's supposed to be showing you a Luke who has moved on from his former grace and dignity as a Jedi Master and the look he gives Rey is to tell you "I don't give a fuck how sad and insignificant I look to right now, you're not going to get me to change."

That's what I meant. Ppl mentioning it like it's a joke.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
That's what I meant. Ppl mentioning it like it's a joke.

Yeah I saw so many pointing to that scene as an example of the "unnecessary humor that didn't land." Yeah the relieved look on the animals face is supposed to be funny along with Rey being unable to look at it (I happen to think it is pretty funny), but there's a deeper context there that some are missing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Did this Luke also completely miss the point of the Jedi, read minds without permission, and try to kill his nephew?

What? Again he didn't try to kill Ben. For a brief moment he thought of it.

The Jedi have been reading minds and sending people's feelings forever. It's almost like you don't know anything about Star Wars.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That's cool and all, but what I find is without execution and a good script ... all the good conceptual stuff in the world means squat.

On paper, the prequels should be the most compelling story, but they are by far the worst of the Star Wars movies.

The good thing about the prequels is that they can always be remade and make them more in like TCW too

Instantly great films if they can pull it off

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I saw so many pointing to that scene as an example of the "unnecessary humor that didn't land." Yeah the relieved look on the animals face is supposed to be funny along with Rey being unable to look at it (I happen to think it is pretty funny), but there's a deeper context there that some are missing.

Ya were on the same page.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Close but not cigar...
  • The trilogy would deal with the rebuilding of the Republic (Lucas in 1980)

That's what I was trying to say- especially those main two points.

This final trilogy is about the struggle to rebuild an empire after a massive vacuum of power develops after the fall of the Emperor.

The Rebels (as they often find themselves irl after a the defeat of an dictator) aren't quite sure what to do with all the people under their wing. Elements of the rebellion become hateful and vindictive- killing innocent people tangentially related to the Empire. The moral and philosophical problems Lucas described emerge from this. Luke becomes demoralized and fails to restart the Jedi. In fact, he creates a powerful villain (Han and Leia's son). Believing he has done more harm than good, he exiles himself.

Meanwhile, Leia has failed to restore the Republic, and elements of the rebellion are defying her to strike out on their own and exact revenge against states friendly to the Empire (Rogue One touched on this a bit... this trilogy should explore it further).

Finally, the empire is similarly conflicted, and several elements are vying for power. Phasma is one leader. Han and Leia's son (forget his name) is another, and Snoke General Grievous+Dooku (combined into one, better character that's half man, half machine) is the third. Each movie is about confronting one of these characters. Han and Leia's son in the first, Phasma in the middle, and Dooku in the end. With General Dooku and Phasma defeated, and young Han turned to the light, the Empire is fully defeated and the Republic (finally successfully returning in the third act) has a clear path to rebuild itself. Rey and young Han begin to restore the Jedi. The End.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The title to this thread is spoilery for those who haven't seen the movie :/

On topic, that is pretty cool that some of George's ideas were used and they took that risk.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
People STOP posting YouTube videos from Jar Jar Abrams. He makes all these kinds of videos, first to make JJ Abrams looks worse, then to attack Kathleen Kennedy, and finally to attack Rian Johnson. It's his shtick. He edits interviews and combines parts together or cuts parts out to make it look worse.

You should have seen it during the Star Wars Celebration days.

Oct 25, 2017

TYfIo8zIViyRW-skjjReyf50JOI=.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Wow.

Petition cancelled

That's actually pretty cool. Honestly, I think the trilogy would have worked better if Luke interacting/training Rey were the first film. Which explains why TLJ kind of feels like the start of the ST.

Oct 27, 2017
And this is different from Yoda? He does a couple push ups and suddenly he can fight Vader on equal terms.
I don't think you're remembering we see actual PROGRESSION even if the training was off screen. One second Luke is struggling with simple things, next we see him he's flipping around and has shown some level of improvement. Not the same at all

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I literally just finished ESB and wanted to let you know how incredibly wrong this is.

He did not fight Vader on equal terms. Vader could have killed him at any point during their fight, but that was not his intention. He wanted Luke to join him. Even despite Vader not wanting to kill his son, Luke still just barely escaped, broken both physically and emotionally.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That's what I was trying to say- especially those main two points.

This final trilogy is about the struggle to rebuild an empire after a massive vacuum of power develops after the fall of the Emperor.

The Rebels (as they often find themselves irl after a the defeat of an dictator) aren't quite sure what to do with all the people under their wing. Elements of the rebellion become hateful and vindictive- killing innocent people tangentially related to the Empire. The moral and philosophical problems Lucas described emerge from this. Luke becomes demoralized and fails to restart the Jedi. In fact, he creates a powerful villain (Han and Leia's son). Believing he has done more harm than good, he exiles himself.

Meanwhile, Leia has failed to restore the Republic, and elements of the rebellion are defying her to strike out on their own and exact revenge against states friendly to the Empire (Rogue One touched on this a bit... this trilogy should explore it further).

Finally, the empire is similarly conflicted, and several elements are vying for power. Phasma is one leader. Han and Leia's son (forget his name) is another, and Snoke General Grievous+Dooku (combined into one, better character that's half man, half machine) is the third. Each movie is about confronting one of these characters. Han and Leia's son in the first, Phasma in the middle, and Dooku in the end. With General Dooku and Phasma defeated, and young Han turned to the light, the Empire is fully defeated and the Republic (finally successfully returning in the third act) has a clear path to rebuild itself. Rey and young Han begin to restore the Jedi. The End.

See, that's not what GL would do. He would've gone in on rebuilding the Republic after it's already formed.

At most you would get the Republic versus an Imperial Remnant not Rebellion versus Empire again.

And it's possible another Skywalker might have fallen but GL makes it clear that it's about Luke passing down the torch to his kids.

I don't doubt that GL would've made Kira the daughter of Luke since Lucas views Star Wars through the lens of family drama.

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just finished ESB and wanted to let you know how incredibly wrong this is.

He did not fight Vader on equal terms. Vader could have killed him at any point during their fight, but that was not his intention. He wanted Luke to join him. Even despite Vader not wanting to kill his son, Luke still just barely escaped, broken both physically and emotionally.

This too. Rey hasn't left a single fight from Kylo on the losing side, except for when he originally knocked her out to capture her, if that even counts as a "fight". Vader was completely different

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This too. Rey hasn't left a single fight from Kylo on the losing side, except for when he originally knocked her out to capture her, if that even counts as a "fight". Vader was completely different
I don't feel like Rey had to really struggle or progress as a character that much in TLJ, especially in comparison to all the shit Luke has to face in ESB. I wish RJ focused more on that.. like.. a LOT more.

That is a chopped up video to push an agenda. Mark agreed with Rians direction in the end. Period.

Nah. No way would a YT video be that disingenuous just for clicks.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I bet Lucas version would have devoted more time to develop old Luke as a character so that he connects a lot more organically and his motivations make more sense than in TLJ.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet Lucas version would have devoted more time to develop old Luke as a character so that he connects a lot more organically and his motivations make more sense than in TLJ.
One of the few details we know from the Lucas drafts is the old characters would have LESS screentime than what they got. They boosted the roles of the original 3 than what Lucas was originally intending.

So this seems very doubtful.

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is nice, let me know if Lucas was responsible to the whole Finn and Rose waste of time (my major gripe with the movie). Luke being a bitter old fart was one of the few interesting "twists" that I liked except for the weird attempts at humor that were out of place and kinda weird.

edit: Luke's death was kinda lame and his badass moment of taking all the AT-AT fire was negated by him just being a projection hmm..

edit 2: the milk thing was kinda weird, forgot about that.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'll just list the highlights for why the Luke scenes didn't work for most fans
- Luke tossing the saber over his shoulder like a Marx Bros comedy
- Luke pole-vaulting across the island on a 400 ft spear he uses for fishing
- Luke drinking milk from the teat of an animatronic island seal, swinging it and letting it run down his beard
- Awful island caretaker creature designs
- Mixed messages from the movie about the Jedi order, their old texts and its place in the future.

The movie definitely could have made its point about the Jedi more clearly. Too many people still running around saying "see, the Force is supposed to be Grey guys!" The point of the movie, if anything, is more a missive to the idea of non-religious spirituality: that the world needs spirituality but that the trappings and dogma of organized religion muddle the effectiveness of spirituality (or breed the very evils that the religious claim to stand against).

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Weren't Lucas's new 3 protagonists going to be teenagers or older children? I remember people gagging at the thought of that.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked Luke is an old Jedi hermit just like the other two old Jedi hermits we met in IV, V, and VI.