Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
One of the few details we know from the Lucas drafts is the old characters would have LESS screentime than what they got. They boosted the roles of the original 3 than what Lucas was originally intending.

So this seems very doubtful.

Well reading the article it seems like Luke would get back to his old self and train new Jedi during the trilogy, meaning he lasts more than one movie which I will take any day over force holograms and dying.

Not to say Luke's final act in the movie wasn't great for the story, I just don't really see why he had to go. Selfishly I want more Luke.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
Wonderful, I can blame Lucas for this too then!

Kidding, as other have said and I completely agree with, it was the poor execution that was the problem, not the idea.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, if anything there was less of the original cast. Poe's role was much bigger originally, but Abrams reduced it to give Han more screen time (and originally killed Poe as well).

It depends on which interview tidbit you go by, some go back all the way 1983.

There was interview a few years back where either Hamill or Lucas made a one sentence mention that implied the original cast was supposed to be a bit more present and interact together at the beginning, and then pass the torch.

But I'm not sure if that was in the later "Luke trains a younger Kira in Episode 7" treatment or something years and years before.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
George wasn't even planning to do Episode VII for the longest time. He was planning to do it (who even knows how far it would go) but then sold the company to Disney instead. Whatever plans he may had were meaningless.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well reading the article it seems like Luke would get back to his old self and train new Jedi during the trilogy, meaning he lasts more than one movie which I will take any day over force holograms and dying.

Not to say Luke's final act in the movie wasn't great for the story, I just don't really see why he had to go. Selfishly I want more Luke.
He had to go because he takes focus away from Rey. Rey needs to go at it alone. It's Reys series.

It would be like if Luke had Obi-Wan to go along with him in ROTJ. Rey needs to face the final act of this 3 part story alone, since this entire trilogy her story.

Red Cadet 015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See, that's not what GL would do. He would've gone in on rebuilding the Republic after it's already formed.

At most you would get the Republic versus an Imperial Remnant not Rebellion versus Empire again.

And it's possible another Skywalker might have fallen but GL makes it clear that it's about Luke passing down the torch to his kids.

I don't doubt that GL would've made Kira the daughter of Luke since Lucas views Star Wars through the lens of family drama.
Yeah, I guess my vision for it would be to merge Lucas's vision with what we have (which isn't ALL bad).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So do all Jedi masters inevitably go in to lonely hermit retirement mode in old age?

Oct 30, 2017
The prequels are a masterclass of a bunch of good ideas executed in the most painfully stupid ways possible.

I entirely blame the writing. The scripts for the prequels were awful. The prequels tell a great story worth experiencing, but goddamn that writing....when one of your most memorable dialogue exchanges from a serious character is "I HATE SAND" you have a problem.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I entirely blame the writing. The scripts for the prequels were awful. The prequels tell a great story worth experiencing, but goddamn that writing....when one of your most memorable dialogue exchanges from a serious character is "I HATE SAND" you have a problem.

seriously what was lucas thinking with that sand shit

not only is the dialog stupid, but it doesn't do anything for the movie, does it bring anakin down to earth or something, make him seem like a normal person just shooting the breeze?

i guess it expands darth vader's character to include not liking sand, but i dont think that would have been missed

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
seriously what was lucas thinking with that sand shit

not only is the dialog stupid, but it doesn't do anything for the movie, does it bring anakin down to earth or something, make him seem like a normal person just shooting the breeze?

i guess it expands darth vader's character to include not liking sand, but i dont think that would have been missed

He hates his origins. That's what the line is implying. He despises his homeworld. It's just that the plebeian acting and how it's framed is dumb.

It's the PT in a nutshell. The idea is good, the execution is bad.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He hates his origins. That's what the line is implying. He despises his homeworld. It's just that the plebeian acting and how it's framed is dumb.

It's the PT in a nutshell. The idea is good, the execution is bad.
There's also the fact Padme is waxing lyrical about how much she loves sand, while he's trying to explain his life of sand-filled torment as a child slave who would later lose his mother to SAND-people. Honestly, I have deeply mixed feelings about Star Wars as series overall, but some of the stuff with the prequels boils down to "Why is this character awkward and unlikeable? Why isn't Anakin cool?"

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the fact Padme is waxing lyrical about how much she loves sand, while he's trying to explain his life of sand-filled torment as a child slave who would later lose his mother to SAND-people. Honestly, I have deeply mixed feelings about Star Wars as series overall, but some of the stuff with the prequels boils down to "Why is this character awkward and unlikeable? Why isn't Anakin cool?"

Yes, but you have to agree it just isn't the best dialogue. He could have just said "i dont like sand, it reminds me of tattoine" instead of "its harsh and irritating" (or whatever he says) it just sounds kinda dumb.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017

What's sad is a simple edit changes that scene too and dare I say makes it better as this fan edit shows (can't find a non commentary version)

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but you have to agree it just isn't the best dialogue. He could have just said "i dont like sand, it reminds me of tattoine" instead of "its harsh and irritating" (or whatever he says) it just sounds kinda dumb.
But then he couldn't romantically tell Padme how she's the exact opposite of sand which is coarse and irritating. At which we're getting 4th dimensional. Was George writing bad dialogue or writing amazing dialogue featuring terrible romantic lines? WE'LL NEVER KNOW.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Completely on purpose.

Lucas states in his interviews numerous times that Anakin and Darth Vader are pathetic. And he calls Vader a goon, a flunky and a sad monster. And Anakin is a whiny and sullen teen and possessive.

So when Darth Vader takes off the mask at the end of ROTJ, that's Lucas going "look at the real Anakin, he's just a pathetic and soft old white man".

AOTC and ROTS Anakin is just a continuance of that. Anakin/Darth Vader is not cool. He's just a loser that was born special. Fascists aren't cool.

I'm glad that they continued that theme with Ben Solo.

Dec 18, 2017
It is now my belief that the Lucas outline for the sequel trilogy wasn't actually scrapped. It was delayed.

JJ was tasked with doing a pseudo-remake of ANH in order to reassure the general audience that these weren't more prequels. With that mission accomplished, Rian was tasked with merging that with the Lucas outline.

To me, this explains the difference in Lucas's reported response to 7 and 8. He sees what they are doing now.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely on purpose.

Lucas states in his interviews numerous times that Anakin and Darth Vader are pathetic. And he calls Vader a goon, a flunky and a sad monster. And Anakin is a whiny and sullen teen and possessive.

So when Darth Vader takes off the mask at the end of ROTJ, that's Lucas going "look at the real Anakin, he's just a pathetic and soft old white man".

AOTC and ROTS Anakin is just a continuance of that. Anakin/Darth Vader is not cool. He's just a loser that was born special. Fascists aren't cool.

I'm glad that they continued that theme with Ben Solo.
I think it is kind of interesting how The Last Jedi actually brings back some of those themes that the prequels tried to explore, where it's not... swashbuckling. Given the vocal, although possibly minority outrage over TLJ, it is worth pondering that even if the Prequels were flawlessly written and acted without a single bit of bad CG to be seen, people would still have complained because the "true" Darth Vader in the mind of his creator, or co-creator depending on how you look at it, was completely different to the version they had in their heads.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is kind of interesting how The Last Jedi actually brings back some of those themes that the prequels tried to explore, where it's not... swashbuckling. Given the vocal, although possibly minority outrage over TLJ, it is worth pondering that even if the Prequels were flawlessly written and acted without a single bit of bad CG to be seen, people would still have complained because the "true" Darth Vader in the mind of his creator, or co-creator depending on how you look at it, was completely different to the version they had in their heads.

Pretty much

You really can't please everyone

Brilliant. See this is what I mean. Lucas needed an editor.

If you can find the fan edit without commentary I recommend you give it a watch as I can say with confidence that AOTC is watchable with the edits

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Did Lucas write

Green Milk Scene?
Steam Iron of the First Order?
Leaking Finn scene?
Slowdown at Canto Bight?
Phasmas Short Appearance again & what happens?
Snoke Short appearance and what happens?
Rey's Parentage?
The Mirror Sequence?
The Humor in the Wrong Places?
Super Leia?
Pointless Crystal Foxes?
Force Teleconference where they can actually reach out & touch each other? (Actually that wasn't too bad)
Hologram Force Powers (Snoke)
Unusual Ending? (Again wasnt that bad but just not Star Wars-y?)
Not much of a Role for Storm Troopers?

I had more complaints in the cinema but I'm slowly forgetting them.

Not Rians best work whatsoever

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In fairness to Rian and the whole "a Jedi doesn't give up" ... JJ already kinda cast that dye by having Luke MIA for The Force Awakens, which leads to Han dying, and before that basically lets The First Order run wild.

So I mean in a way that's really on JJ Abrams. Rian Johnson just took the setup and went with it. That's the whole thing that comes with putting Luke on an island like that ... it's hard to rationalize why the character would just go away and leave his friends and the galaxy to suffer at the hands of a new Empire.

The whole idea is against the character of Luke to begin with, but I don't know you can pin that all on Rian Johnson. In that respect I think he was more or less just working from what he was given.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Concept versus execution.

Luke could have been revealed to be a Sith Lord for all I care.

I just want writing and execution to support the concept.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
say what you will about how shit the pt was ,
its still the most star wars-y of all the movies. you definitely feel like it takes place in a galaxy far far away instead of remote pretty places in new zealand and ireland

Oct 25, 2017
Did this Luke also completely miss the point of the Jedi, read minds without permission, and try to kill his nephew?

I mean, George's Luke almost killed his dad on an impulsive rage after Daddy suggested that maybe he'd just go and get his twin sister to turn to the Dark Side if he didn't. What we see in The Last Jedi perfectly aligns with that- Luke's reaction was one of impulse and one that he immediately discarded and felt ashamed of himself for ever having in the first place. His impulse to kill in both instances came from a place of wanting to protect his loved ones.

The whole "Luke was so out of character" argument is ridiculous to me- just as much as anyone that claims you can't possibly like TLJ if you consider yourself a true Star Wars fan. I've been watching the Original Trilogy since I was two years old. I remember a time before the prequels existed. I've watched all three of the original trilogy films more times than I can count. I adore Star Wars and I adore Luke. The Last Jedi absolutely treats him with respect and portrays him in a way that, while surprising and rather bold, does fit with the character I grew up idolizing as a child.

I can respect the idea that not everyone liked the direction Rian went with, but the arguments being made against Luke here are rather off-point imo.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, George's Luke almost killed his dad on an impulsive rage after Daddy suggested that maybe he'd just go and get his twin sister to turn to the Dark Side if he didn't. What we see in The Last Jedi perfectly aligns with that- Luke's reaction was one of impulse and one that he immediately discarded and felt ashamed of himself for ever having in the first place. His impulse to kill in both instances came from a place of wanting to protect his loved ones.

This has already been hashed out in the spoiler thread, but I'll say it here as well - it may not treat Luke 'disrespectfully' insofar as it gives him a 'sound' logic to base his fears on (albeit one that's shown in flashes and never with any real substance), but if he never learned anything after saying 'no, I'm not going to give in (ever again), I'm a Jedi now' with that scene with Vader in the second death star, I'd argue that it doesn't fit with the character's growth and final 'direction' at Rotj.

At the end of the day, it admittedly boils (somewhat) down to headcanon vs sequel-direction, but IMO there's a hangup between RotJ Luke --> TFA/TLJ Luke that the new trilogy doesn't address to any significant degree (except for apparently one or two of the new canon novels)

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From "The Last Jedi liberates Star Wars from its past! Nevermind the upcoming Han Solo and Obi-Wan throwbacks!" to "The Last Jedi is flawless, but if you maybe didn't like an aspect of it, that was George Lucas's idea anyway!" Oof. Hope cheebo is getting paid for this shit, otherwise it's kind of weird!

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I'll just list the highlights for why the Luke scenes didn't work for most fans
- Luke tossing the saber over his shoulder like a Marx Bros comedy
- Luke pole-vaulting across the island on a 400 ft spear he uses for fishing
- Luke drinking milk from the teat of an animatronic island seal, swinging it and letting it run down his beard
- Awful island caretaker creature designs
- Mixed messages from the movie about the Jedi order, their old texts and its place in the future.

Why?

How?

Hu?

Why are these things problems? And no, most fans loved or liked the movie.

The only legit one might be the last one (which I don't agree either, duh).

Throwing something over the shoulder is Earth specific now or too much?

Fishing is too much?

JFC.

I keep seeing this movie with both hardcore fans, casual fans and not fans at all. One non-fan friend liked the spiritual aspects of TLJ but said "why are some fans having problems with this? It's just like any Star Wars movie".

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
George wasn't even planning to do Episode VII for the longest time. He was planning to do it (who even knows how far it would go) but then sold the company to Disney instead. Whatever plans he may had were meaningless.

Obviously not meaningless because here we are in this thread.

And George always told everyone back in the 70s and 80s he wanted to do 12 films. He shortened the second and third trilogy to just one (Luke wasn't going to face the Emperor until Episode VII, and Leia was going to be the real hero) and kept the prequels.

And yet, he still held out hope that he would be able to do a third trilogy after 30 years. He told Mark Hamill and others this all the time.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't fully get why everybody is falling over Luke being that way in TLJ. He's easily the best part of the movie.

I could've done without the forced humour though.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I'll just list the highlights for why the Luke scenes didn't work for most fans
snip

The only thing that bothered me was the lightsaber toss. The only part I dislike about Luke is the last act. All I could think about was his Just for Men job, and as soon as the Lightsaber popped of course I knew there were 0 stakes.

PaypayTR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i'm sure Lucas came up with idea to chop his nephew son of Han Solo and Leia Skywalker in his sleep. Totally imo(!)

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So do all Jedi masters inevitably go in to lonely hermit retirement mode in old age?

Theres a long tradition of ascetics going out into the wilderness in order to become closer to divinity and themselves, forsaking social order to better understand be natural and spiritual order.

While its ironic that Luke tries to cut himself off, it would make sense that an old Jedi master would want to be alone with the Force in old age.

Belmont

Oct 27, 2017
I don't take issue with him being mopey and depressed or "in a dark place." I take issue with his character contemplating and being on the verge of murdering his nephew. (Who hadn't yet done anything.) Especially in light of Yoda teaching him the future was always in motion and nothing was set in stone. (A lesson he supposedly learned after Cloud City.) I guess not.

Further that the more obvious solution to Snoke corrupting Ben was maybe to... I don't know... GO STOP SNOKE. But apparently even the characters in this film understand Snoke is just a lazy plot device primarily used to further contrived plot lines and is best just to be ignored.

Additionally, everyone seems to forget that Luke just decides to look the other way and ignore the fact that his sister is about to be killed and the First Order is going to take over the galaxy. And he just shrugs it off. No wonder Rey got tired of his shit and just took off.

DosaDaRaja

Oct 26, 2017
Did Lucas write

Green Milk Scene?
Steam Iron of the First Order?
Leaking Finn scene?
Slowdown at Canto Bight?
Phasmas Short Appearance again & what happens?
Snoke Short appearance and what happens?
Rey's Parentage?
The Mirror Sequence?
The Humor in the Wrong Places?
Super Leia?
Pointless Crystal Foxes?
Force Teleconference where they can actually reach out & touch each other? (Actually that wasn't too bad)
Hologram Force Powers (Snoke)
Unusual Ending? (Again wasnt that bad but just not Star Wars-y?)
Not much of a Role for Storm Troopers?

I had more complaints in the cinema but I'm slowly forgetting them.

Not Rians best work whatsoever
For the love of God, could someone elaborate on the steam iron joke? I can't recall it at all :/