• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
GIF-o-rly-really-skeptical-yeah-right-GIF.gif

Aug 1, 2018
"Please download 'Totally Not an Activity-Tracking App' today! It's totally free and fun to use! And remember, this is totally not an activity-tracking app!"

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
actually just a cybersting, trying to get some health enthusiast criminals to install this on their devices so FBI can finally close the case.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Most apps ask for the same exact amount of permissions. There's nothing special about this one.

It's really baffling how discernable people suddenly are when it comes to an app by the government, yet at the same time just press the okay button to evenmore permissions when it pertains a commercial app. I also would like people to explain how they think a fitness app should work without those permissions.

On the plus side, this possibly also allows military/FBI/CIA and other government bodies to use fitness apps again, since they were banned from services like Strava due to security risks.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Most apps ask for the same exact amount of permissions. There's nothing special about this one.

Those are some light permission requests for a fitness app..

I still wouldn't download this.

I mean sure, and given it's supposedly a fitness app I guess geolocation, storage, and some network access make sense. But I believe it still kind of gives apps A LOT of capabilities. Even if it's standard practice. Those permissions are not nearly granular enough. Who knows what else the app is doing within those same permissions? And any joke aside, the fact that it's an app made by a governmental entity like the FBI should definitely make people ask questions.

And if true, asking for microphone access on top of everything else is kind of excessive...

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Want to set Black people back 4 generations and look great while doing so? Downloaded our new Fitness App!

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
dictate a memo to myself
try to find if I'm the only one in complete health
consult contemporaries if there are some to see
there really isn't anyone who's in my league
but me

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's really baffling how discernable people suddenly are when it comes to an app by the government, yet at the same time just press the okay button to evenmore permissions when it pertains a commercial app. I also would like people to explain how they think a fitness app should work without those permissions.

On the plus side, this possibly also allows military/FBI/CIA and other government bodies to use fitness apps again, since they were banned from services like Strava due to security risks.
Why do you think that is ?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

That's true. People should put a lot more thoughts about the apps installed on their phone. Whether it's commercial apps, or apps from government entities. The potential impacts of pressing that 'okay' button is still not clear for a lot of people. Or often they just don't care.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think that is ?
Not saying they shouldn't be, but more that they also should hold 'ever more data hungry for profit organizations' to some higher standards. At least people seem to slowly be realizing what kind of access they are giving with apps, cookies and the likes.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The thing about the app needing access to all that, a lot of apps require access to shit they don't need. It's why i don't have Facebook/Facebook msg on my phone. Most require shit like microphone, pictures, storage access, wifi access. Everything is spying on you.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Damn FBI, you're supposed to make a frivolous app under another name and listen to the microphone using a backdoor like Facebook. N00bs

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
The thing about the app needing access to all that, a lot of apps require access to shit they don't need. It's why i don't have Facebook/Facebook msg on my phone. Most require shit like microphone, pictures, storage access, wifi access. Everything is spying on you.
They need all those to function if you also do voice calls and share pictures.

But considering the companies behind it, it sucks you can't trust them not to be shady.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
They need all those to function if you also do voice calls and share pictures.

But considering the companies behind it, it sucks you can't trust them not to be shady.
It's not just social media. There are apps/games that have nothing to do with your camera, microphone etc but still require access. It's because every company is in the business of selling your information to ad agencies. I wouldn't be shocked if your own ISP/Mobile carrier already logs and sells most of this data anyways.

Sykdom

Banned
Feb 12, 2019
California
Trumps gotta download it now, what's he afraid of you got nothing to hide right? Just like the patriot act remember I hAvE nOtHiNg tO hIdE

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY

You know why it needs Microphone, storage, and wifi right?

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018

Thing is, the potential impacts of those blanket permissions models do not necessarily always come from malicious intents of the company responsible for the apps. Bugs in software happen all the time. And in some cases those bugs inadvertently affect parts of the software that are governed by those permissions. It's no wonder there's such a market for zero-day exploits.

And don't get me started about how companies often mishandle the data they record through those permissions...

Last edited: