• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have a bunch of Barlowe saved on my computer. I really, really love his alien biology art.

aKDs7dt.jpg

hIECQws.jpg

YDqwXqD.jpg
This like if H.R. Giger became a nature illustratior. lol

Minarik

Nov 9, 2017
Then why didn't you do it?

Honestly, it's utterly ponderous that people look at art and go "I could that, therefore it's not art." That should inspire you to create art. Secondly, seeing it in person is a whole different thing. Getting close to a Mondrian actually affects you. It's indescribable. Third, design is art. Balance, measurements, calculations, etc. All those things are taken into consideration when people create realistic portraits of humans. Mondrian was bringing than aesthetic to a basic level. His influence is large. And the reason you can even claim that you could do that, is because he thought to do it first and popularized it.

I wouldn't do it because I would never think that random lines and colored squares would light the art world on fire

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Paint-era, i'm trying to find the name of a painting. It's a cafe with three people sitting at table enjoying an afternoon, I think 2 girls and a guy. One girl is looking at the painter with a sly look in her eyes.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't do it because I would never think that random lines and colored squares would light the art world on fire
It wouldn't anymore because Mondrian already thought of it about 100 years ago.

Nothing's stopping you from whipping out your ruler and lighting the art world on fire now, you just have to come up with a groundbreaking concept. That's the hard part.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017

Part of this is the world we live in now, though. People look at a Mondrian or Pollack now and are like "My 5 year old could do that", because it's obvious, and it's been done. But go back to the time they were created in, and they weren't obvious, and they weren't done. And that's what makes a lot of artists great - an ability to see something new, something different, which makes people change their views on what "art" is. Turner's work was viewed by some of his contemporaries as just blobs of colour. We look at Turner's work now and dismiss those critics as knowing nothing, but what they really knew was what art was as they perceived it at the time, not what it could be.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I've always been fond of Edouard Manet's 'A Bar at the Folies-Bergère'

Edouard_Manet%2C_A_Bar_at_the_Folies-Berg%C3%A8re.jpg

Got to see it earlier this year along with a bunch of other impressionist masterpieces at the Courtauld Gallery, that was a real treat.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Paint-era, i'm trying to find the name of a painting. It's a cafe with three people sitting at table enjoying an afternoon, I think 2 girls and a guy. One girl is looking at the painter with a sly look in her eyes.
HmYmt1I.jpg

In a Roman Osteria
By Carl Bloch

not uncommonly seen on the internet with the caption "why dont you paint a picture, it'll last longer"

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
It wouldn't anymore because Mondrian already thought of it about 100 years ago.

Nothing's stopping you from whipping out your ruler and lighting the art world on fire now, you just have to come up with a groundbreaking concept. That's the hard part.
what was so groundbreaking about perpendicular lines and a few color rectangles again

Deleted member 40797

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
I love Gauguin's work, but I'm never sure I should say this publicly because he was an objectively terrible person.

I don't know if I have a favorite painting, but it's probably something by Sargent or Manet.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I love Gauguin's work, but I'm never sure I should say this publicly because he was an objectively terrible person.

I don't know if I have a favorite painting, but it's probably something by Sargent or Manet.

I feel Sargent is a deeply underappreciated artist. For what are mostly "simple" portraits, there's a lot of depth in and around the pieces.

bllymcixi

Alt Account
Oct 12, 2018
that is disturbing as hell. i feel like i'm on a list now just looking at that.

"Towards the end of his life he spent ten years in French Polynesia where he married a 13-year old"

that explains it then.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I have sadly never really been into paintings but this thread is fucking great.

So many artists and beautiful paintings I've just found out about till now.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I expect no-one to agree with me, but personally, it's L'étreinte by Claude Theberge. I just wish there was a better quality image of it online:

LI8yWki.jpg

Alternatively, for one of the 'classics', A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat:

R7BT5sr.jpg

I want a high quality print of both of these. I think the name of the Claude Theberge I love is Moonlight

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
I really like Leonid Afremov. It's probably not considered high art or anything but I personally enjoy this style.

image-3429.jpg

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I have a lot of favorites, but the ones I always go to study in the Louvre are:

Raft of the Medusa by Théodore Géricault
2nHc2z3.jpg

The Young Martyr by Paul Delaroche
lZZEeN5.jpg

in the Uffizi:
Judith Slaying Holofernes by Artemisia Gentileschi
bxU668I.jpg