• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who will be the TI8 champion?

• OG

Votes: 57 60.6%
  • PSG.LGD

Votes: 37 39.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The break works out well for me. I can finally catch up with lots of the replays that I missed in the group stage.

Looking forward to the knockoff stage!

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
surprised this ti still managed to surpass previous year's prizepool, thought for sure this is the year where it finally stagnates
the growth definitely is slower though, hopefully even icefrog realizes that
they need to do something big after ti, i dunno if just a new big patch can cut it

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
surprised this ti still managed to surpass previous year's prizepool, thought for sure this is the year where it finally stagnates
the growth definitely is slower though, hopefully even icefrog realizes that
they need to do something big after ti, i dunno if just a new big patch can cut it

Artifact will canabalize doter temporarily.

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Do you guys think that they are going to announce any new heroes this TI? If so, 2 like last year or just one.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think that they are going to announce any new heroes this TI? If so, 2 like last year or just one.
I'd say it's almost guaranteed there will be at least one if it's anything like the last two years. They announced Monkey King at TI6, and that one took everyone by surprise despite the fact that the hero had been a secret boss in WC3 Dota a few years before.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
It's tradition at this point. And they already had hero pop up in the code at the start of the year.

Probably. Since "Mars" had spear abilities.

Just to recap for people, here's the 3 known new heroes that are in Artifact but not Dota yet.
Sorla Kahn
Lore_Sorla_Khan.png

Rix
479px-Lore_Rix.jpg

Kanna
Lore_Kanna.jpg
There's also the 4th spirit brother hinted at in the Monkey King reveal that still hasn't come up yet.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It's truly amazing how a single player like EE can be so consistent over several patches and teams as well as my own dota breaks to always have a similar type of game where anything can happen. I do wonder if his stint at secret was a fluke where stuff worked out the other way or if Puppy actually kept a fine balance between the insanity and brilliant calls.

I kinda expect them to make it to 9-12 at best but more than likely they're going to bomb out in bo1.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
New heroes would help. Had the feeling for awhile that the game is firmly in the "declining popularity, so let's monetize and carve out as many little features and bits and bobs for paying subs" zone. The competitive scene is great, but are the best years of the game behind it?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Rix and kanna look way more interesting than sorla khan
Hope valve does something crazy and release all of them and more in 1 patch, that'd be fun

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Kanna looking like an upraised creep makes me want a suite of creep-spawning and manipulation abilities for her. Wololo the enemy team's catapult!

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
New heroes would help. Had the feeling for awhile that the game is firmly in the "declining popularity, so let's monetize and carve out as many little features and bits and bobs for paying subs" zone. The competitive scene is great, but are the best years of the game behind it?
Heroes would just be temporary boost imo. The game population has declined but I think it's pretty stable. I also don't think the mobas genre in general is growing much at this point other than maybe the mobile side.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
You know what WOULD help with the popularity? A Battle Royale mode.

I kid, I kid. More seriously, Dota probably needs two main things to compete with other games- better marketing (Artifact might eventually help with that through cross-marketing) and something new'n'flashy to attract the old dogs back. I personally think a proper single-player/co-op campaign would kill. Think a Dota-themed Diablo. It could also be a better onboarding process for new players than the current one.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game lost me when they didn't bother fixing the garbage community. Still watch esports but haven't played a game since november.
When you're stuck with shitstains for 45 minutes you don't care anymore.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dota or mobas in general will steadily decline in popularity.
Too hard to learn and other games are just easier to learn and play.
I think it's also the reason why Artifact exist.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
PC MOBA is indeed in decline. People just moved on to mobile MOBAs nowadays.

The ongoing Asian Games 2018 actually has mobile MOBA, Arena of Valor, as one of eSports to be contested.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lyrical on the mainstage, yikes
Dude is obnoxious when something big happens. Almost went deaf several times.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Liquid 2-1
VP/LGD 2-1
Fntc 1-0
Mnski 1-0
Newbee 1-0
VGJ 1-0

My predictions on day 1.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

PC MOBA is indeed in decline. People just moved on to mobile MOBAs nowadays.

The ongoing Asian Games 2018 actually has mobile MOBA, Arena of Valor, as one of eSports to be contested.

AoV is a pretty excellent game, though DOTA fans will likely miss a bit if depth.

I do think PC MOBAs are declining, but I'm not alone in hoping Artifact abstracts what I love about the genre (the heroes, the items, the push & pull flow) and removing what I don't (teammates, the need for dexterity / reflexes) and finds success.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Fly needs one. He won 4 real majors and the only thing he needs is a TI win.
S4 needs one. Dude has been amazing for so many years now even after switching roles.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone into their fantasy predictions? Currently got Miracle and Somnus cores but I think Liquid are gonna stomp so it's maybe worth swapping him out for No[O]ne?