zill pickle

Sep 30, 2018
It's 7 months before the Emmys air, but the cutoff for shows this year is May 31st. I think they just look at industry buzz about the shows. Some of them haven't aired, like Ted Lasso Season 3 or Beef.

The eligibility window for the Emmys is sometime in May (wherein you need to have aired more than half the episodes of your season by that point) - so in terms of the frontrunners, now is a decent time for them to be starting to make predictions. It's why Succession is airing probably after TLOU S1 ends rather than a few months ago - and also why certain shows like The Idol have been delayed to June (they probably realise it isn't an Emmy show).

This is kinda why Twin Peaks: The Return got snubbed - it aired mostly after the May cutoff and was only eligible for the following summer. Shows have done this and succeeded before, but they gotta have crazy buzz to stay in people's minds that long after airing.

Depending if S4 of Succ blows people away (or, possibly, feels like treading water before a final season) - I can imagine the breakout nature of TLOU cleaning up.

Hehehehehehe. I can't believe this shit. Not even a decade old, only has 2 mainline entries with out re-releases or dlc thrown into the mix. Has only 2 spin offs (American dreams & left behind was eventually released as standalone.) to it's name that both related to the first entry. Is on the fucking verge of beating game of fucking thrones. Literally the biggest thing, along with the walking dead (but that fell off), that came out of the last decade!

I don't give shit what naughty dog has to say about pressure to keep churning shit for the same franchises! They are gonna get it, hell Sony probably wants it fast track, and that is probably why naughty dog is looking like it's gonna have multiple team's again. Like this is not only big money & consoles on the table, this is a potential universe now. Something every company has been dying for since the mcu took off, not to say tlou will be that big, but bigger than got will be close. So yeah, get ready. The 10th anniversary for part 1 is gonna be a big deal and the stand-alone multiplayer is probably gonna be overloaded for like a month and will definitely print money.

Man, by the end of the year and beyond, tlou might be carrying the entire game division on it's back with all the money it's gonna be printing. Which is great as long as Sony uses it wisely. Also, I hope Sony doesn't fumble this! It's so easy too (see the walking dead), but they had a taste with breaking bad, so I have faith.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
variety.com

Final Emmy Predictions: All Winner Projections From ‘Abbott Elementary’ to ‘Succession’ (ARCHIVE)

2023 Emmy winner predictions include "Ted Lasso," "Succession," "The Last of Us," "The Bear," "Abbott Elementary" and "Beef."
[/QUOTE]
Variety's currently predicting it to get nominations for Best Drama as well as Best Actor and Actress in a Drama

variety.com

Final Emmy Predictions: All Winner Projections From ‘Abbott Elementary’ to ‘Succession’ (ARCHIVE)

2023 Emmy winner predictions include "Ted Lasso," "Succession," "The Last of Us," "The Bear," "Abbott Elementary" and "Beef."

They don't think the final season of BCS will be nominated?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Solid episode. The addition of Ellie trying to help Sam is a good one.

The bloater really didn't work outside of a video game context. I can't recall if the games tried to give bloaters a better reason to exist, but a rampaging giant that's just body slamming and ripping people apart doesn't really add up as beneficial to the fungal outbreak.

Are there other examples of modern shows that were critical darlings then a couple years later widely regarded as dopey shit? That's a real question, I can't think of any besides arguably season 7 of GoT, which had its own history and mega hype going in that doesn't really apply here. I'd argue it's much more likely it will remain a critically well received show that just isn't working for you... which is totally fine.
I'm not the poster you're replying to, but I know I suspect that if I ever returned to the first season of True Detective I'd find it much more problematic now than when I was primarily immersed in the mystery and atmosphere. I'd bet the male gaze and use of the women characters would be tougher to tolerate. Knowing that Cary Joji Fukunaga is a creep would also make it harder to find a way of believing the show is genuinely criticizing those elements and the general toxic masculinity on display. I'm not sure a true reevaluation of that show would be kind.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I'm not the poster you're replying to, but I know I suspect that if I ever returned to the first season of True Detective I'd find it much more problematic now than when I was primarily immersed in the mystery and atmosphere. I'd bet the male gaze and use of the women characters would be tougher to tolerate. Knowing that Cary Joji Fukunaga is a creep would also make it harder to find a way of believing the show is genuinely criticizing those elements and the general toxic masculinity on display. I'm not sure a true reevaluation of that show would be kind.

I think that's valid but not really the point the other user was making. They seem to already think the show is bad and were claiming that, in time, the general consensus would shift to match that. Individual evaluations of True Detective aside, I think season 1 is still well regarded by most.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The bloater really didn't work outside of a video game context. I can't recall if the games tried to give bloaters a better reason to exist, but a rampaging giant that's just body slamming and ripping people apart doesn't really add up as beneficial to the fungal outbreak.

I think bloaters make more sense in the context of the show. The addition of the mycelium network summoning infected en mass makes a late stage berserker taking one for the team by drawing attention make a lot more ecological sense.

More sense than solitary bloaters completely destroying potential hosts like we get in the game, at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Solid episode. The addition of Ellie trying to help Sam is a good one.

I think bloaters make more sense in the context of the show. The addition of the mycelium network summoning infected en mass makes a late stage berserker taking one for the team by drawing attention make a lot more ecological sense.

More sense than solitary bloaters completely destroying potential hosts like we get in the game, at least.

Well Bloaters aren't actually supposed to exist according to Druckmann and Maizin. Bloaters are basically strong human hosts for the fungi who are able to survive longer where as the final stage of an infected is a clicker dying spreading the tendrils around the walls/floors. In the games it was the same concept, but the clickers would find high places so spores spread.

Bloaters are basically strong/healthy human hosts who survive longer than the intended infected life cycle.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if posted but this art by Greg Ruth is iconic

bpv35apxq0ja1.jpg

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if we're getting the lab scene tonight? Or is it just being cut completely?

I saw the preview for Episode 6, but honestly it's hard to tell which direction they seem to be going here.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if we're getting the lab scene tonight? Or is it just being cut completely?

I saw the preview for Episode 6, but honestly it's hard to tell which direction they seem to be going here.
Don't think anyone knows for sure, but there was a short clip in the episode preview that looked like it might be at the university, potentially after Joel gets injured.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for tonight.

Watched Jasmila Žbanić, director for tonight's episode, previous film in preparation. Quo Vadis, Aida? Would definitely recommend.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Don't think anyone knows for sure, but there was a short clip in the episode preview that looked like it might be at the university, potentially after Joel gets injured.
Yeah it's a bit hard to tell because it's only like a second but when I first saw that shot I immediately had the feeling that Joel wasn't doing too hot.
Definitely a bit scared that this episode might feel really rushed. Traveling to Jackson while dealing with the aftermath of Henry and Sam, Jackson itself and Joel getting injured sure is a lot for 1 episode.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
variety.com

They don't think the final season of BCS will be nominated?

Oh we all know it will nominated but after 6 years of snubs in the Primetime awards, everyone's given up on the show actually winning anything.
Though I'd be shocked if they nominate The Crown over BCS.

Edit: at least Goldderby has it in #3 as a likely nominee for Best Drama and Bob as likely winner 🤞

brahim

Alt Account
Oct 24, 2022

I like the show very much so far but tbh, every "little" change they made so far was for the worse imo. Except for episode 3 and Sam being younger and deaf. But these little things like changing iconic dialogue, changing when a scene cuts to black etc. mostly made those scenes and pieces of dialogue worse.
So knowing that they changed that dialogue too doesn't fill me with confidence.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Man, I'm so fucking glad this is a fucking HBO show. I don't know what would have happened otherwise.

Oct 29, 2017
IDC if the lines are identical, after all I've seen the ranch scene a million times, I can take something new. Important thing to me is that they achieve the same impact with the scene.

I think it was in one of the trailers. The lines are the same based on that, but on the delivery I was not convinced. Of course that was just a trailer, so I'm still curious.

But yeah, that's like the second most important line in the game, maybe even tied with the last one. Definitely the most emotional point in the game and it's thanks to the amazing delivery from Ashley Johnson.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm so fucking glad this is a fucking HBO show. I don't know what would have happened otherwise.

Yeah. I wouldn't trust another network or platform with it.

Netflix would have ruined the pacing.

Apple might have changed the tone a little.

FX wouldn't have the budget.

Amazon is wildly inconsistent. They got the money, release model, and they're not worried about family friendliness, but for some reason they rarely pull it all together.

Apr 27, 2020
How come people want the actors to deliver the game lines exactly like the game? We've seen it a million times, I'd rather see what the actors come up with alongside the direction of that week's director.

MrTomato

Jan 20, 2022
How come people want the actors to deliver the game lines exactly like the game? We've seen it a million times, I'd rather see what the actors come up with alongside the direction of that week's director.
Yeah, I really don't get that at all. If anyone wanted the same lines, the same style of delivery, the same cinematography....then play the damn game, lol.
Same with people calling the changes "worse" than the original. It's just different.
You might not prefer the different version, but that doesn't make it worse when it's an adaptation.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yea I don't want a simulacrum of the game. In particular I think the strongest thing about it is that the Ellie performance feels quite different (in a good way)

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When you see multiple actors take on a character, you're not just seeing different interpretations.

You're seeing different possibilities.

The nature of the character is mostly set on the page, but actors, directors, editors are the nurture. It can never be exactly the same.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Ready for 200 posts about how the game did the scene better regardless of actual quality.

Episode 6: Kin
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
JgPWYr0.png

The sixth episode is now live!

Title: Kin
Directed by: Jasmila Zbanic
Written by: Craig Mazin
Runtime: 62 minutes

Episode Synopsis said:
After ignoring the advice of locals, Joel and Ellie descend deeper into dangerous territory in search of the Fireflies - and Tommy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
"Joel, come on,. they're like, a thousand" lmao

Getting some Ellie & Bill vibes from Ellie and this guy