Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Game spoilers and comparisons of any kind are not allowed in this thread. If you've already played Part I and Part II, click here for the game spoiler thread.

jXKRuvH.jpg

The Last of Us (HBO Series) - Season 1

The ResetEra Show-Only OT

Welcome to the ResetEra show-only OT for season one of HBO's television adaptation of The Last of Us! The nine-episode first season kicks off on Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 9:00 PM ET/ 6:00 PM PT on both HBO and HBO Max (9:00 PM PT on HBO West), with a new episode releasing every Sunday thereafter until the season concludes on March 12, 2023.

Spoiler tags are not required when live-posting while watching the series on Sunday nights. However, as mentioned at the top of this post, spoilers from the games are not allowed in this thread whatsoever, tagged or not, and already adapted or not. This thread is intended to be a safe place for people who are only watching the show and have not played the games, or simply people wanting to experience it divorced from the source material, to discuss it amongst themselves and speculate about its future without worrying about being spoiled on any story content from the games. If you are caught "hinting" about what's to come based on your knowledge of the games, you will be reported. Furthermore, leaks for upcoming episodes of the television series are not permitted in this thread, so if an episode leaks in advance, please do not discuss it until it airs on HBO. If you want to freely discuss any content from the games that this series is based on, please click here to go to the game spoiler thread on the Gaming side.

Additionally, if you're watching on HBO Max rather than HBO, do not skip further into the episode and openly post spoilers for it before it has finished airing on HBO.

I will be updating the threadmarks with links when new episodes release. If you're watching the series late, feel free to use the threadmarks as a way to catch up with the rest of us without being spoiled!

General Information
  • Original network: HBO
  • Based on:
    • The Last of Us by Naughty Dog
    • The Last of Us: American Dreams by Neil Druckmann, Faith Erin Hicks & Rachelle Rosenberg
    • The Last of Us: Left Behind by Naughty Dog
  • Showrunners: Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann
  • Writers: Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann
  • Composer: Gustavo Santaolalla
  • Directors:
    • Episode 1: Craig Mazin
    • Episode 2: Neil Druckmann
    • Episode 3: Peter Hoar
    • Episode 4: Jeremy Webb
    • Episode 5: Jeremy Webb
    • Episode 6: Jasmila Zbanic
    • Episode 7: Liza Jackson
    • Episode 8: Ali Abbasi
    • Episode 9: Ali Abbasi
Where to Watch (If any of this is incorrect or if you know of additional countries and services to add, please let me know)
  • Argentina: HBO, HBO Max
  • Australia: Binge
  • Austria: Sky TV, Now TV
  • Brazil: HBO, HBO Max
  • Canada: Crave
  • Czechia: HBO Max
  • Denmark: HBO, HBO Max
  • France: Amazon Prime Video
  • Germany: Sky TV, Now TV
  • Greece: Vodafone TV
  • India: Disney+ Hotstar
  • Ireland: Sky TV, Now TV
  • Italy: Sky TV, Now TV
  • Japan: U-NEXT
  • Mexico: HBO, HBO Max
  • Netherlands: HBO, HBO Max
  • New Zealand: Neon
  • Norway: HBO, HBO Max
  • Poland: HBO, HBO Max
  • Spain: HBO, HBO Max
  • Switzerland: Sky TV, Now TV
  • Turkey: BluTV
  • United Kingdom: Sky TV, Now TV
  • United States: HBO, HBO Max
Official Synopsis said:
The Last of Us takes place 20 years after modern civilization has been destroyed. Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal and heartbreaking journey as they both must traverse the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

The Cast (Images link to IMDB)

Additional cast:
Review Averages
  • Rotten Tomatoes: 97% (Certified Fresh)
    • "Retaining the most addictive aspects of its beloved source material while digging deeper into the story, The Last of Us is bingeworthy TV that ranks among the all-time greatest video game adaptations."
  • Metacritic: 84 (Must-Watch)
Trailers
Supplementary Material (May contain spoilers from the games; please do not discuss them in this thread)
Social Media Accounts
Other The Last of Us OTs

lfv3Vks.png

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
This just covers the first game and the Left Behind DLC, right? I have zero interest in ever playing the second game with what I've heard about it.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has played the game, excited to lurk unintrusively and see people's reactions to the story!

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Think I am going to enjoy the discourse about this show more in this thread.

Gaming side is different :p

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
So happy for my boy Pedro, love seeing Latino leads. Day 1

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Hi, show only newbies! I hope you enjoy this series as much as us game fans! You are in for something truly special and I'm going to enjoy reading all of your theories and thoughts week to week. This is also the first franchise where I know the source materiel that they are adapting from, but I swear I won't give anything away!

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Can't Nemesis turn people into zombies with his tendrils?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Just popping to say I'm super excited to see how people who haven't played the games take in the story. Can't wait!

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I am legitimately so excited for this.
Yep, but this will probably be super successful and adapt TLOU2, I can't wait 😏

Oh I figured it will be coming, I just wanted to better prepare myself for the first season. The brutality that I've heard about in the second game has kept me from being interested in playing it.

Last edited:

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Have played but don't remember much beyond main story beats (and was never much attached anyway), so I'm excited to come in and discuss this from a show-only perspective. I'm also much more excited generally than I thought I'd be, but the cast and previews over time hooked me. So ready.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Can't wait. My most anticipated show…. Like ever

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait. My most anticipated show…. Like ever
Me too lmao. TLoU is probably my favorite game series, and I'm so excited to see this adaptation, as well as excited for newcomers to experience it.

I don't know how much I'll be posting in this thread since I have played the games and don't want to accidentally ruin anyone's experience, but I will be reading it eagerly.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
I am beyond excited for this show.

I'll probably re-D/L TLoU: Remastered and play through it again this weekend for a refresher.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for this!

I've beaten both games, but I'll be reading up on people's impressions in here. I think I'll enjoy the discourse in here more than on gaming side. They'll probably make comparisons to the games constantly in there.

Last edited:

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
Season one covers the entirety of Part I and Left Behind. Going into specifics storywise would be getting into spoilers, and that isn't allowed in this thread.

It covers Part I and Left Behind. Also seems to get into American Dreams.

Good stuff. The first game is in my top 3 favorite games of all time and I haven't played it since it released on PS3, so I'm really excited for this.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I've never been more excited to watch anything in my life. The wait is excruciating.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How popular is this show going to be? I've heard even non-gamers and ultra casual players say they are excited for this. Really curious to see if this blows up!