Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck it, started another playthrough of the first game. This theme song is going to make me tear up when I hear it in TLOU2.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Like at some point playing TLOU2 you are going to stab a dog to death and a trophy notification is going to pop up. A game which simulates violence as a core, repeated mechanic can muse a bit on the impact of violence, but ultimately it does ring a little hollow. Making analogies to other media that deal with violence and suffering is tricky because a movie like Schindler's List is inherently anti-violence. All of the action it depicts is sorrowful and pathetic and sad.

Francois Truffaut said, "There's no such thing as an anti-war movie." What he meant is that a war movie can narratively be anti-war, but if it depicts violence and conflict in exciting ways the audience is going to be enamored with that violence. That's the same trap TLOU2 falls into. It can tell a story about how violence consumes these characters and ruins their lives, but the player is having a blast beating dogs to death and setting elaborate pipe bomb traps that kill enemy characters with names.

How can a work of art criticize violence while making it so fun?

I swear we dont see these kind of posts with other equally violent games, its a ND thing.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
I swear we dont see these kind of posts with other equally violent games, its a ND thing.

Exactly. All this finger wagging about Naughty Dog's depiction of violence is completely absent when talking about games like Mortal Kombat 11, which actually disgusts me with its excessive and photo-realistic gore.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Wish all these people were clear and told us the restrictions instead of causing FUD
they're only allowed to show and discuss story/gameplay from sections/chapters of the game shown in prerelease marketing. From Griz Gamin's video review:
wvUlUje.png

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017
How do people already have the dynamic theme unlocked? Mine has the same countdown as the game and extras.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. All this finger wagging about Naughty Dog's depiction of violence is completely absent when talking about games like Mortal Kombat 11, which actually disgusts me with its excessive and photo-realistic gore.
It's a matter of tone. MK is Evil Dead/Brain Dead stuff. Not really comparable to how TLOU is handling violence

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
by the gameplay videos i saw, i thought RDR 2 way more violent than TLou part 2. I did not played, im judging by the gameplays that i saw.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

It's only a Naughty Dog thing in so much that they made a game that makes you feel bad about the violence while making you do it. Hotline Miami did the same but with a level of abstraction hat succinctly made the same point. The realism in this game bring a different set of expectations.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

there's plenty of games in which the violence is meant to be a "feature" and it's leagues more uncomfortable than what i've seen from TLOU2

they're only allowed to show and discuss story/gameplay from sections/chapters of the game shown in prerelease marketing. From Griz Gamin's video review:
wvUlUje.png

seems fair to me, you can be plentiful about the game's flaws only using footage and examples from the revealed parts.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Fuck it, started another playthrough of the first game. This theme song is going to make me tear up when I hear it in TLOU2.
Well you're in for a treat with Part 2 -or probably not, if you loved the first one.

Mod edit: we do not provide a platform for Skill Up and their content on ResetEra

Enjoy an honest, spoiler free video, of someone who loved the first game... -He probably won't get many review copies from Sony in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Erm... maybe we can this
wvUlUje.png
I mean, that doesn't sound too bad. If you want to include spoilers in your review just wait for the embargo to be done, no?

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Well you're in for a treat with Part 2 -or probably not, if you loved the first one.

Mod edit: link removed

Enjoy an honest, spoiler free video, of someone who loved the first game...
Nope, he is an alt-right-idiot. No wonder he hates this progressive game. Please delete the link.

Juni

Apr 16, 2018
Like at some point playing TLOU2 you are going to stab a dog to death and a trophy notification is going to pop up. A game which simulates violence as a core, repeated mechanic can muse a bit on the impact of violence, but ultimately it does ring a little hollow. Making analogies to other media that deal with violence and suffering is tricky because a movie like Schindler's List is inherently anti-violence. All of the action it depicts is sorrowful and pathetic and sad.

Francois Truffaut said, "There's no such thing as an anti-war movie." What he meant is that a war movie can narratively be anti-war, but if it depicts violence and conflict in exciting ways the audience is going to be enamored with that violence. That's the same trap TLOU2 falls into. It can tell a story about how violence consumes these characters and ruins their lives, but the player is having a blast beating dogs to death and setting elaborate pipe bomb traps that kill enemy characters with names.

How can a work of art criticize violence while making it so fun?
For reviews I've read so far, authors pointed out with much emphasis on how much they disapproved and disliked some situations and resolutions they were to come across. Nothing close to any kind, any way of so called enjoyable acts of violence. And it appears the game succeeds on dealing with the dissonance.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017

Enjoy an honest, spoiler free video, of someone who loved the first game... -He probably won't get many review copies from Sony in the future.
lol nice try

Nyarlah

Apr 20, 2018
wvUlUje.png
How can a scored review be considered final given those restrictions ? Those look like alpha/beta/preview NDA conditions. Are we supposed to get a new wave of reviews (that won't happen) on release day ?

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris

Because other reviewers did not loved the first one ...?
The amount of troll in this thread is something.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
5/5
www.t3.com

The Last of Us Part 2 review – does the long-awaited sequel measure up to the hype?

Naughty Dog takes us back to the apocalypse for a heartfelt and disturbing look at our own humanity

Has this been added to metacritic?

I love it how when 99% are stellar reviews and that 1% is negative...that's the "honest" review, not the 99% lmao.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
How can a scored review be considered final given those restrictions ? Those look like alpha/beta/preview NDA conditions. Are we supposed to get a new wave of reviews (that won't happen) on release day ?
Those conditions are literally saying not to give critical story details, not hard imo, a lot of reviewers have done fine expressing how the story affected them without giving details about the story. Also u gotta remember the story was leaked, they have to assume a lot of ppl saw them and that allowing the reviewers to talk about the story in detail, ppl will be able to piece the story together and put it out before the game ever releases.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK

For a game that's so focused on story I honestly think the embargo makes sense. Essentially boils down to "don't spoil it" and if you can't write a general review about 30hrs of gameplay without literally giving the plot away, then IDK what to say about that.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017

SkillUp didn't exactly adore the first game. His review goes into how he thought the gameplay was middling but the story was excellent. I think he's banned here as well.