• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is RDR2 not liked by fans? Everyone I talk to loved it, as did I.
Vocal minority, it's the same with a lot of apparently 'overrated' games. People who loved it just moved on to other things, I remember MGS4 was apparently hated and overrated but won GOTY again, years after lol.

Think about it, you usually voice out your negative opinion on critically loved games, we loved being contrarian, being rebellious, being 'special/unique'. I do it all the time with BOTw

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
A 90, damn.

I can't see this staying on 96.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I'm interested in these insane embargo restrictions some of these people are going about. I mean, clearly the vast majority of reviewers didn't have any issue completing the game and writing a review while abiding by the embargo terms.

Nyarlah

Apr 20, 2018
Given the success of the reviews, how is it that those famous gaming outlets are "unscored" ? I'm asking this seriously, I've never seen Polygon, Eurogamer, Kotaku, Skillup, Ars Technica, GameXplain all go "unscored" at once. This is a major single player game, no connexion or server issues held them back. What is happening ?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Given the success of the reviews, how is it that those famous gaming outlets are "unscored" ? I'm asking this seriously, I've never seen Polygon, Eurogamer, Kotaku, Skillup, Ars Technica, GameXplain all go "unscored" at once. This is a major single player game, no connexion or server issues held them back. What is happening ?
Those sites don't do scores. Polygon used to, but they switched to verdicts only

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I hate and love preload. On one hand I'll get to play the game right at midnight, on the other it's on my damn system. It's right there!! WTF I wanna play.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020

Scary_Larry

Banned
Jan 3, 2019
Wrong. Even some people here got spoiled by accident because assholes were posting spoilers on random YouTube comment sections, random Twitter posts, etc. You think everyone that got spoiled was looking for spoilers? You couldn't be more wrong about that. Some people were looking for spoilers because they had no intention of buying the game and wanted to spoil it for others.

You are way too defensive over this. Nobody is taking anything away from you. It's a video game.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are way too defensive over this. Nobody is taking anything away from you. It's a video game.
You made a false statement and got called out on it. That's all. I'm chillin. You said everyone that got spoiled a month ago were looking for spoilers. Some people were looking for them, some weren't. So again, you are wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
London

What? Polygon, Eurogamer and Kotaku have all been unscored for yonks at this stage. I don't know about the others but I think you're imagining things here.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Is RDR2 not liked by fans? Everyone I talk to loved it, as did I.

I think it's a fairly clear example of a game where reviewers were lenient, or at least where they overlooked some fairly obvious problems. That it wasn't the consensus GotY illustrated pretty clearly that the wider community, even of gaming journalists, weren't as universally in love with it as the journalists that wrote reviews.

The way the game controls is something that a lot of people really don't enjoy. I'm still bemused by how many reviewers overlooked it.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
this is a bit off topic but I pre ordered the game and when I click on it it says "you cannot use this content" is this normal since the game isn't out yet?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is one hell of a way to end the gen for the PS4. Christ.

I almost feel bad for GoT, lol. I'm sure it will be a good game too

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
🤦‍♂️

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I get the impression that this game will not be liked by the fans as much as the critics. Maybe another RDR2.

Sometimes you read some weird things on this threads.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Ironic that you would imply somebody has not read enough, when you clearly have no concept of disaster collectivism that has repeatedly shown itself in human societies throughout history and is arguably the reason why civilization has even been able to advance to where it is now. Stresses and anxieties cause us to bond over our shared humanity, especially when those stresses and anxieties come from a great external force. (Sidenote: this is the literal foundation of Ozymandias' plot in the graphic novel Watchmen, so if you are disagreeing with the concept of disaster collectivism my guess is you would also insist Moore has "never read a history book.") In TLOU's setting there is an enormous external disaster that threatens humanity as a species. It is absolutely nihilistic and unfounded to say that it would mean we would all tear each other apart the first chance we get.

Perhaps you would do well to step out of only history books, which tend to focus on the most dramatic moments for the sake of brevity, and consider reading studies on human psychology: you could start with this study by the University of Virginia on human behavior becoming more cooperative in the face of uncertainty when personal control over a situation is low. Or you could simply look at any of the recent natural disasters which have led to people going out of their way to help others survive or rebuild. There are many other studies on this aspect of human nature, if you're curious.

The fact is, when the social contract is broken, especially with moments of extreme personal violence, it makes an impact because it is jarring and most importantly unexpected. It is a cynical and nihilistic view that says humans are all too willing to be as cruel and violent as possible to fellow humans. There's a reason why armies (and police) dehumanize their enemies, and it's to make it even POSSIBLE to do the atrocities they do. When it is impersonal, yes, we can deal with a lot. But even drone operators have crises of conscience and develop PTSD, despite being as far away from the violence as possible.

So when it is personal, as the brutality in TLOU2 is depicted, over and over and over, the vast majority of humanity bonds together against it. You don't even have to look very far to see this in action; just look at the protests worldwide because people saw up close and personal the killing of a man by police. People do not do well with repeated, up-close violence unless they are sociopaths. The implication that we're all sociopaths simply isn't justified.
What's ironic is you wrote all this and none of it really contradicts what I said. I never said all humans are sociopaths simply that under the right circumstances any group of humans is capable of doing terrible things and that you don't have to be a sociopath for that to happen. Again not saying that's the default go to for humanity but certainly possible i don't see it as nihilistic.

Last edited:

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
For game reviewers, I have a question. It's a general question, not particularly related to tlou2 review.
For example, you've being tasked to review a game. It's seems that the game is not for you and it's just a mediocre game. So you give the game a 6 or 7 out of 10. It's your professional opinion, no problem there.
But then when the embargo lifted, you realized that 99% of other reviewers seems to really like it. High scores here and there. Your review become the "minority". What's in your thought?
'Are you :
a. It's my professional opinion. No problem. I respect other's opinion also.
b. Oookay, maybe I should try to look at the game one more time...

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Turns out the game is actually bad

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I do have a legitimate question tho
Has there ever been proof that a vast majority or some eviewers being paid off?

Because that excuse gets thrown around so much that it feels so unfair to the reviewers.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Maybe it helps to educate yourself before talking nonsense, as an example?

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2018/9/4/17689100/polygon-reviews-no-scores
Polygon dropped score TWO YEARS AGO.

www.eurogamer.net

Eurogamer has dropped review scores

New policy also puts matching the user experience first.
Eurogamer dropped score FIVE YEARS AGO.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Some weird drama on Twitter with Jeff Cat and Jason Scheirer regarding this game. Has it been discussed here?

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
I do have a legitimate question tho
Has there ever been proof that a vast majority or some eviewers being paid off?

Because that excuse gets thrown around so much that it feels so unfair to the reviewers.
Who exactly gives these reviewers early copies of the game to write articles that will give them guaranteed viewership ? Isn't it the publisher which they are supposed to be neutral about ?
And what happens if you put out a negative piece on a game that publisher gave you access to ? Don't you take a risk that you won't be given access to early copies anymore, or interviews and exclusive content ?

There is no need for "proof", the way this industry works is suspicious in itself. I mean, right now IGN is doing a "Summer of Gaming" event where they give advertising for games that they are supposed to review.

This is why review scores and gaming media outlets in general always need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Suspecting reviews being bought off is such a hogwash. There's like 100 reviews on metacritic these days for your average AAA.

There's plenty of reviews that aren't worth a shit. I'd put incompetence and inability to separate hype/bias/etc as bigger elements that potential bribery.

Quite, utter hogwash! The lack of education in such important issues is shocking! Shocking I say!

Lol, so the poster didn't know these sites dropped scores, no need to get so hostile!

Sorry for the sense of hostility. If I came across that way, it's partly due to the fact that it wasn't just one outlet being brought up, but half a dozen outlets - some of which never had numerical scores to begin with like Kotaku or SkillUp.

My god, what is happening that it could be so? /s

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some weird drama on Twitter with Jeff Cat and Jason Scheirer regarding this game. Has it been discussed here?
Yeah, nothing came out of it except disaster and mod said to stop discussing Twitter wars (and off forum drama) on here. It's incredible the emotional impact this game ALREADY has on people that haven't even played it. It's how you know Naughty Dog has something special here.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Yep some pages ago but mods take an action because that conversation was derailing the thread. On the other hand, the game is getting a lot of "heat" from some reporters because of its bleakness and other bug issues that are kept secrets. People are loving to hate the game.

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
I almost get the impression that some are implying that if the embargo wasn't as restrictive, that the game would be getting notably worse scores.
That makes zero sense lol. It's not like they didn't play the full game and aren't reviewing the parts in the embargo, they just can't talk about it in the review. That has no bearing on their overall scoring.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
God of War scored higher than Uncharted 4 and now TLOU2 scored higher than God of War.

God of War 2 to have 98 MC score confirmed.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Who exactly gives these reviewers early copies of the game to write articles that will give them guaranteed viewership ? Isn't it the publisher which they are supposed to be neutral about ?
And what happens if you put out a negative piece on a game that publisher gave you access to ? Don't you take a risk that you won't be given access to early copies anymore, or interviews and exclusive content ?

There is no need for "proof", the way this industry works is suspicious in itself. I mean, right now IGN is doing a "Summer of Gaming" event where they give advertising for games that they are supposed to review.

This is why review scores and gaming media outlets in general always need to be taken with a grain of salt.

This has to be a parody response lol

Proof is most certainly needed my friend

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
God of War scored higher than Uncharted 4 and now TLOU2 scored higher than God of War.

God of War 2 to have 98 MC score confirmed.

If they make God of War 2 = God of War 2, then yeah, I'd believe it. If it has the set piece and boss content of the original, plus the story telling of the reboot, it's very very possible.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
For game reviewers, I have a question. It's a general question, not particularly related to tlou2 review.
For example, you've being tasked to review a game. It's seems that the game is not for you and it's just a mediocre game. So you give the game a 6 or 7 out of 10. It's your professional opinion, no problem there.
But then when the embargo lifted, you realized that 99% of other reviewers seems to really like it. High scores here and there. Your review become the "minority". What's in your thought?
'Are you :
a. It's my professional opinion. No problem. I respect other's opinion also.
b. Oookay, maybe I should try to look at the game one more time...

I'm just a small fry reviewer but I've definitely looked back at some of the scores I've given and thought "hmm, that definitely should've been lower". But that's always with 6-12 months of hindsight. Anthem comes to mind, I gave it a 6/10 whereas now It would be closer to a 4/10.

It's a weird situation if you review a game in the vacuum before the embargo releases. I gave Blasphemous a 9/10 then read all the other reviews and while I agreed with a lot of the issues they brought up, those same things weren't enough to ruin the experience for me.

Bottom line, I think if you're a reviewer who fairly regularly thinks "maybe I should try to look at the game one more time" after seeing the majority of review scores, you need to instead take a better look at your own process when landing on a score out of 10. If you were comfortable and confident in the score you gave a game, you shouldn't be having doubt when others score it so much higher.

Oct 25, 2017

There was literally an a screenshot on Gameinformers site where they were advertising Black Ops Declassified in background and front and center was a 3/10 review of it. Really over and underthinking how these relationships work. If a publisher stops offering a major outlet review copies because they didn't like the reviews, they would get called on it.

Also, do you know how editorial and advertising work in newsrooms?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the reviewers are bought by Sony. Druckmann obviously kidnapped their love ones and is threatening to pull an Ellie on them if their reviews are anything but stellar.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Here ya go!

67dk9WR.jpg

Thank you!

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I get the impression that this game will not be liked by the fans as much as the critics. Maybe another RDR2.
Lol everyone loves RDR it has sold like 30+ million units. Era just like what it likes. Bloodborne and Forza for example are much bigger deals here than anywhere else.

Horizon - pretty graphics but shallow gameplay, Ubisoft towers, yuh can't climb anywhere like Zelda BotW is all on rails

Real PS4 community -lives Aloy, costplay her at events, 10 million units sold

God of War - fake demo, no jump button??!, like the old styles WAAAY BETTER

Real PS4 community - one of the fastest selling PS games of all time

same for Days Gone, GTS, etc...Era does not represent the community well at all with what seems to be generally liked and disliked here.

We getting into the conspiracy levels of review threads I see lol...

classic era

Oct 25, 2017
Lol everyone loves RDR it has sold like 30+ million units. Era just like what it likes. Bloodborne and Forza for example are much bigger deals here than anywhere else.

We getting into the conspiracy levels of review threads I see lol...

classic era
We can also do without the "only on Era people feel this way" to dismiss things we disagree with.

"This opinion was brought to you by the Era bubble" because it's impossible for anyone who doesn't post online to share the same opinion. And 30 million buyers bought it, loved it and never had a negative thought.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
As someone that have read and seen the spoilers, I totally understand why reviewers are frustrated about the embargo restrictions

... But they could always wait until the embargo is lifted to publish a spoiler review

They simply wont because they would miss a lot of traffic that way, of course

I probably know what they want to talk about, but they are probably insane thinking that Sony should allow them to talk about it 1 week before launch

Like, get real