• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions?

• 95-99 (Same as Uncharted 2, The Last of Us)

Votes: 639 46.6%
  • 90-94 (Same as Uncharted 4, Uncharted 3)

Votes: 599 43.7%
  • 85-89

Votes: 90 6.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 14 1.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • <75

Votes: 24 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
Wait...you thought even without this game FFVIIR had a shot at that?
Like for real? How?
haha because I love FF VII, silly. When love is a factor, anything is possibleeeeee *Kevin Garnett voice*

But I thought the only games in its way were Last of Us, Cyberpunk, and Ghosts of Tsushima. Now that Last of Us already has a 95/96, I'm not even gonna think about this anymore lmao and just hope that it manages to get in the top 5 games of the year.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Hasn't really hit me til now but I'm so hyped to see Ashley Johnson absolutely kill this as a performer.

Ellie is an amazing character.

You can't stop this ((hype train)).
Oh and Uncle Joel, love these characters.

Mr Coopz

Jul 21, 2019
Really wish all those people on the internet saying they don't like the game before they've played it (lol) and that they won't be getting it blasting ND for being "woke", "agenda driven" and "sjw" would say how they really feel. Can just smell the bigotry waiting to burst out of their mouths.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Lack of interesting characters coming from some reviewers is concerning. The first game waled a fine line, and a young Ellie was a huge part of that. Regardless, I'm finally getting hyped for this. Didn't really think about the game much until this week.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Would you mind saying which reviews where those? I know the paste magazine is one but I'd love to read others!
Paste Magazine review was a joy to read! And just reading through the author's twitter account tells you how much she loves the game lol.

Here are two reviews written by gay ladies:
The Last of Us Part 2 Review (Trusted Review) by Jade King

The Last of Us Part II Review - Trauma in a broken world by Samantha Greer

These are the only ones I could find so far. I wish there were more! Reviews from the LGBTQ+ community have been the ones I've been looking forward to in regards to this game.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
Paste Magazine review was a joy to read! And just reading through the author's twitter account tells you how much she loves the game lol.

These are the only ones I could find so far. I wish there were more! Reviews from the LGBTQ+ community have been the ones I've been looking forward to in regards to this game.
Thank you so much! Yeah, hopefully after the game comes out we'll see more LGBT folks giving their thoughts on the story/themes.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Lack of interesting characters coming from some reviewers is concerning. The first game waled a fine line, and a young Ellie was a huge part of that. Regardless, I'm finally getting hyped for this. Didn't really think about the game much until this week.
I'm sure some have said that, but I've also seen plenty say the game has a very memorable cast. There is no part of the game that's going to be 100% enjoyed by everyone, but this isn't a concern for me cause there's far more reviewers that have said the cast is excellent. Guess we'll have to see which group we belong to though in a week.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home

I'll have to check these out, I've really been wanting to see what queer women reviewers think. I figure more interesting, meaty essays and will emerge after the game is out.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TLOU2

Not 96% enough the Thread.

ITT:

"The Last of Us 2's MC is ...... 96"

P1SS3gG.gif

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I'll have to check these out, I've really been wanting to see what queer women reviewers think. I figure more interesting, meaty essays and will emerge after the game is out.

I've read both and liked them a lot, especially when they've talked about Ellie & Dina & how Ellie being a lesbian definitely isn't just shoved aside. I think the Polygon one is done by a wlw too & I know it's the only one I've seen that touches on them getting called dykes & spit on after their kiss which I appreciate a lot, because it's fucking awful & unnecessary to say the least. :( Really wish we'd get more like these from other LGBT+ writers, especially wlw. Hoping there'll be more after the game is out!

Oct 27, 2017
I've read both and liked them a lot, especially when they've talked about Ellie & Dina & how Ellie being a lesbian definitely isn't just shoved aside. I think the Polygon one is done by a wlw too & I know it's the only one I've seen that touches on them getting called dykes & spit on after their kiss which I appreciate a lot, because it's fucking awful & unnecessary to say the least. :( Really wish we'd get more like these from other LGBT+ writers, especially wlw. Hoping there'll be more after the game is out!
Wait, Ellie and Dina were called slurs in the game or the writer of the review?
Nevermind, I suppose if a zombie virus can't eliminate homophobia, nothing will.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Isn't Slant Magazine known to be harsh? I don't think they have a review copy yet. Their 5 star rating would translate to either an 8 or a 10. Giant Bomb as well. Some Playstation outlets haven't reviewed yet either. Think it will stay at 96 all things considered.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Wait, Ellie and Dina were called slurs in the game or the writer of the review?
Nevermind, I suppose if a zombie virus can't eliminate homophobia, nothing will.

Yup, in the game, supposedly right after the beautiful dance & kiss they showed during E3, I can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea. It's in the Polygon Review. Genuinely hoping it's only that one instance, but it still hurts massively nonetheless.

The Last of Us Part 2 luxuriates in depicting the best parts of being alive in a way that's somewhat rare, even in games with this kind of budget and scope. The game depicts characters falling in love, discovering a well-hidden post-apocalyptic weed stash, and trying to come up with the worst possible puns. Ellie and her best friend (and crush) Dina live in the walled-off area of Jackson County, Wyoming, with a community of human survivors, along with Joel, his brother Tommy, and Dina's ex-boyfriend Jesse. They have something close to an actual, relatively safe home during a time when such a thing seems almost impossible, and one night they share a very public kiss during a barn dance attended by most of the community.

Things don't go well for them after that.

That's because The Last of Us Part 2 also luxuriates in its depictions of pain, suffering, and death. An older man at the barn dance interrupts the girls' tender moment to spit at Dina, telling her that she's a "loud-mouthed dyke," just like Ellie. Now, if Ellie lost her cool and attacked this guy, I'd get it. She doesn't, however, so I'm not sure what the moment actually accomplishes, other than to remind us that people are still homophobic after the apocalypse.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Yup, in the game, supposedly right after the beautiful dance & kiss they showed during E3, I can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea. It's in the Polygon Review. Genuinely hoping it's only that one instance, but it still hurts massively nonetheless.
I really can't see an issue here. It's a game about human behavior. The art isn't the artist, and the inclusion of that language in the script isn't some promotion or encouragement of its use, quite the opposite. Art is a vector to talk about things that are disturbing or difficult.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I read the Polygon review and it has me a bit worried. I can't imagine it just cuts away from that scene, hoping the reviewer left out a detail or another scene addresses it.

I can't see Ellie just taking shit from someone without retaliating or reacting strongly.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I read the Polygon review and it has me a bit worried. I can't imagine it just cuts away from that scene, hoping the reviewer left out a detail or another scene addresses it.

I can't see Ellie just taking shit from someone without retaliating or reacting strongly.

IIRC someone on here that's played the game said there's more context to that scene that can't be discussed yet, so it may not be as it seems from the review.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
seeing all the expanded movement and stealth options, that standalone MP game is gonna be tops

wonder if they'll make it free to play

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
So did the game live up to that first demo we got? I remember the animations and enemy character reactions being on a whole new level. Super fluid and detailed.
Is that what we got? Anyone know? I'd like to read detailed graphic/tech analysis but I'm avoiding all other reviews.

also, all the stuff about every character being named and their buds calling out to them after you've disposed of them -- is that stuff as impressive as it sounded?

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
I really can't see an issue here. It's a game about human behavior. The art isn't the artist, and the inclusion of that language in the script isn't some promotion or encouragement of its use, quite the opposite. Art is a vector to talk about things that are disturbing or difficult.

Never said it's promoting violent lesbophobia, but it's nevertheless fucking useless and the only thing it does is get cishetties to hopefully feel shit because the wlw get treated like shit. Lesbophobia doesn't need to exist in fictional worlds & a fictional world in which you need lesbophobia for character development or good world-building is ass. It literally does nothing but hurt actual lesbians & other wlw who are confronted by this shit on a god damn daily basis. If you have people using dyke & spitting on a lesbian & bi girl, then it'd only be right to also have people be massive racists towards PoC & the raging misogynists & transphobes in the game, right? And that would be incredibly fucked up & amount to nothing. None of that has any place in a fictional setting (unless it's something like let's say Mafia 3 which has valid reasons to have racism in it due to it's setting), especially if it has no use outside of "haha look people still want lesbians dead in a zombie apocalypse! :)".

Anyway, I'm not fucking arguing with presumably cishet men about this shit. I'm still looking forward to the game & hoping that otherwise the protrayal of Ellie & Dina is done with more tact & thought. The optics of revealing their kiss during Pride Month @ E3 & everyone praising them incl. ND praising themselves, only for it to turn out that in the game it's followed by violent lesbophobia are also really fucking bad. This is exactly why I've been avoiding this thread, because I don't need non-wlw dismissing my & others concerns.

I wish I could remember where I've read it, but I saw someone say that Joel comes up to them while it happens & he punches the guy and Ellie afterwards gets a bit mad at him for defending her? I guess at least you have something happen afterwards to break it up, but I still don't like it, because it sounds way too much like "big cishet man has to defend small wlw because they're too scared/weak". My god, Ellie is a ruthless killer during the game and she can't even punch one man treating her crush & her like dogshit? Jesus, Naughty Dog.

The other two reviews definitely gave me hope that this is a one-off, but it's inclusion is still not something I can just easily shrug off as much as I want to. :(

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is the way you charge the pocket light the same as tlou1? I use remote play a lot so I can't have gyro .... :x

Oct 31, 2017
So did the game live up to that first demo we got? I remember the animations and enemy character reactions being on a whole new level. Super fluid and detailed.
Is that what we got? Anyone know? I'd like to read detailed graphic/tech analysis but I'm avoiding all other reviews.

also, all the stuff about every character being named and their buds calling out to them after you've disposed of them -- is that stuff as impressive as it sounded?
John from Digital Foundry said that he thought they got about ~90% of the way to hitting the E3 2018 demo in terms of animation and fluidity in the final game and that it's very impressive, despite not quite hitting that high mark.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could remember where I've read it, but I saw someone say that Joel comes up to them while it happens & he punches the guy and Ellie afterwards gets a bit mad at him for defending her? I guess at least you have something happen afterwards to break it up, but I still don't like it, because it sounds way too much like "big cishet man has to defend small wlw because they're too scared/weak". My god, Ellie is a ruthless killer during the game and she can't even punch one man treating her crush & her like dogshit? Jesus, Naughty Dog.

The other two reviews definitely gave me hope that this is a one-off, but it's inclusion is still not something I can just easily shrug off as much as I want to. :(

The context of that scene would have to be more her adoptive father trying to help her while things not the best with them.
You can still not like it but that most likely what they going for .

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
The context of that scene would have to be more her adoptive father trying to help her while things not the best with them.
You can still not like it but that most likely what they going for .
Yeah, Joel stepping in is perfectly inline with his character. I'll wait until I see how it is fully contextualized in the game before judging.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Amazon does not show 'release date delivery' for Last of Us 2 on ps4. It says prime: 2 business days once shipped.
Will I get it on release date or should I buy from somewhere else if I want to play on Friday?

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hmm always thought it was being added later like Red Dead Online, guess not
From Naughty Dog themselves:
However, you will eventually experience the fruits of our team's online ambition, but not as part of The Last of Us Part II.

I'm personally really hoping they'll go free-to-play. While I believe they could make a multiplayer game worth $40 or even $60 bucks the multiplayer space is just so extremely competitive these days that I'm not sure a paid The Last of Us multiplayer game could sustain a huge playerbase beyond just its hardcore players, which I feel is what always happened with the Uncharted multiplayers and factions. Yes, they have their playerbases but it never felt something the general playerbase kept playing for months or even years. Also, the microtransaction potential would be huge if they did that.
I really hope in the Standalone Factions MP we can pick our character rather than being random. Or bonus, go back to Uncharted 3 and let us make our own character.
I'd love it if we could play as characters from the first game and Part II, which is also what Uncharted 4 did.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is, I saw a review where the same prompt to shake the controller as part 1 came on. There might be an option to change that tho, considering all the accessibility options.
I really hope. I'm enjoying so much remote playing since I bought an android phone and kishi controller. But couldn't use for last of us and that controller shaking

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018

I didn't read the Polygon review so this is new to me!

While Ellie is shown to be a ruthless killer, that is after the traumatizing event that ultimately changes her. In Jackson, she still has that air of an awkward introvert who would rather avoid confrontation over something as harmless as a kiss. I have a feeling she's learned how to deal with that shit by ignoring it, so she probably just froze up when the asshole came up to her during the dance. And I bet the asshole is old af and has clout in the community so she can't really do anything, until Joel - who has even more clout LOL - comes to his kid's rescue.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020

the one by samantha greer is amazing and moved me, i just can't wait to play it.

I'm 100% convinced this game is gonna be the captain marvel of gaming we're all of it's haters are gonna be constantly making excuses on why it's a failure. I can't wait to hear how Sony is buying copies of thier own game to inflate sales like Disney was buying tickets for captain marvel.