• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is broadly known this gane[sic] was to be released in 3DS.
broadly known where? in gamefaqs forums?

Those photos weren't even in the original game. Link's Awakening DX came out 5 years after the original and appears to have had a completely different team for the new stuff. The people designing the DX photos decided to take the in-game sprites and scale them up as a basis for the proportions, likely for some combination of practical and artistic reasons, but it has nothing to do with the art direction of the original game.
sis, the people who made the photos 5 year later knew way more than you what the game was supposed to look like

Last edited:

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wind waker bad toony graphics dejavu, oh wait..... All those people like it now. Weird how people can change their mind. Maybe play the gameboy version first.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I've would have hoped they kept the free movement we had in A Link Between Worlds. After have watched the trailer a couple of times it does seem to be restricted to 8 directions which is a shame, at least for me. That type of movement in today's market drives me nuts but I still want to play it despite not being of fan of either the art style or movement.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of technical and artistic quality, here's one that's not too far off imo. Eternium: Mages and Minions.

mage-and-minions-treasure-chest.jpg

zelda1.jpg

uuuh

What do you get out of spouting such blatantly false nonsense?

They said the same on NVC yesterday, so I guess there were industry rumors for a while.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
sis, the people who made the photos 5 year later knew way more than you what the game was supposed to look like
I didn't say anything about what the game is supposed to look like. I like the new art style. I'm just saying that the argument that the game was originally intended to look like the cutscenes that appear in the original game is at least as strong as the argument that the game was originally intended to look like a series of pictures created as extra content for a port by a different team five years after the original release.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I find it funny that people think that games developed completely from scratch should magically be cheaper just because there was another version of it made like 20 years ago and at a millionth of the cost. The only argument is that maybe some of the design work is already done, but even then that's like saying a sequel should be cheaper because its inheriting design from a predecessor.
People seem to mix up remakes and remasters all the time. Maybe this is just an extension of that confusion?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dl6fvvnzxkcj.jpg

I didn't say anything about what the game is supposed to look like. I like the new art style. I'm just saying that the argument that the game was originally intended to look like the cutscenes that appear in the original game is at least as strong as the argument that the game was originally intended to look like a series of pictures created as extra content for a port by a different team five years after the original release.
one could make the argument that the intro looking different than the actual game makes complete sense considering one is the reality and the other is not.

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The only "bad" thing about Links Awakening is the dungeons are all 1 floor like the original Zelda, but they are way more intricate, and down right disorientating with all the crossing paths. Don't get me wrong I love the dungeons in the game, just wish they had more depth. I do hope they expand on them greatly.
Another thing, I wonder if they might have multiple dreams instead of just a second quest. The game talks alot about courage, which makes sense as that is Link's piece of the Triforce, but what if there are now 3 quests? A Dream of Courage, a Dream of Power, and a Dream of Wisdom. You still have to wake the Windfish in all Three, but each dream has its own variety of Koholint Island, depending on the triforce piece. The Dream of Power can be more action oriented, and the Dream of Wisdom can have much more difficult puzzles. Think of the Oracle games, but in one package.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Weird nitpick I guess, but one thing I'm slightly worried about is the UI and menus. I hope they're not as bland/generic as BotW's UI was. I want a proper title screen and menu music back (I assume they'll use the animation from the trailer for this). Same thing for the logo, I hope they change it, but if not, at least put some color in there!

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, and maybe it's just my eyes are just playing tricks on me, but did anyone else think that the 2019 at the end of the trailer was the BoTW font?

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
one could make the argument that the intro looking different than the actual game makes complete sense considering one is the reality and the other is not.
It would make sense, but it would also make sense if the in-game art is simply the best representation of the art style that they could manage using 16x16 sprites and tiles on a 160x144 pixel screen.

I'm just not really happy with the way people's opinions about the art style are being brushed off using these weird arguments that the game was always intended to look like that. Kids who played the original game saw cutscenes and artwork depicting a more realistically proportioned cartoon style, and I'm going to assume that most of us didn't think that Link actually transformed into a little chibi man as soon as he reached the island-- that's just what video games looked like on the Game Boy. Link's Awakening, in fact, went far out of its way to show us what Link is supposed to look like using those full-screen cutscenes that probably wouldn't have been included if the in-game art was sufficient in displaying the intended art style. It's a perfectly valid opinion that the original game implies a very different art style than what we're seeing with the remake and to be disappointed with the decision to work using the sprites as a basis instead of the concept art.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It would make sense, but it would also make sense if the in-game art is simply the best representation of the art style that they could manage using 16x16 sprites and tiles on a 160x144 pixel screen.

I'm just not really happy with the way people's opinions about the art style are being brushed off using these weird arguments that the game was always intended to look like that. Kids who played the original game saw cutscenes and artwork depicting a more realistically proportioned cartoon style, and I'm going to assume that most of us didn't think that Link actually transformed into a little chibi man as soon as he reached the island-- that's just what video games looked like on the Game Boy. Link's Awakening, in fact, went far out of its way to show us what Link is supposed to look like using those full-screen cutscenes that probably wouldn't have been included if the in-game art was sufficient in displaying the intended art style. It's a perfectly valid opinion that the original game implies a very different art style than what we're seeing with the remake and to be disappointed with the decision to work using the sprites as a basis instead of the concept art.
I am not sure how convincing that point is. Kids playing the remake will likely think exactly the same thing—the painted-ceramic-figure look is simply how Link is presented on the Switch.

It's true the switch is technically more capable than the Game Boy, but the Game Boy featured games like Metroid II and Donkey Kong Land, which didn't opt for shrinking proportions of their characters. The sprite design and visual direction of the original LA were an artistic choice, not necessarily dictated by the hardware. There were perhaps less options on Game Boy, but there was not only a single option. Not long after LA DX rolled around in '98 there were GBC games like Alone in the Dark, Dragon's Lair, and Perfect Dark that showed the platform was capable of much more ambitious visuals.

Last edited:

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really good. Hopefully they add some extra stuff to make it a little longer and I think it will be perfect.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you keep saying this, but the closest thing we have to actually knowing what the intended look of the game was (which couldn't be achieved in the original outside of the intro) are the photographs. yes, they were added to the DX version 5 years later, but it's not like the DX version was done by a completely different company. it was made at nintendo and under supervision of tezuka (the director of the original). i really can't see a scenario where the DX team came up with that chibi style for the game while the original was supposed to convey another look. to me the theory that the disconnect between the intro and the in-game style is as a result of it being a dream makes a lot of sense (and it also does here in this remake with the anime intro and the look of the actual game), as well as the idea that the game was always supposed to have and convey a rather cutesy style, but just couldn't in its original form.
and it's not like this is strictly a remake of the original. the DX version is just as relevant to this remake as the original. you talk about the kids playing the original, and there was also a lot of kids who played DX first (it still sold a lot, 2.22M compared to original's 3.83M) and for them as part of playing the game and doing the quest, they would see the chibi style link is depicted in.

at the end of day, not liking the style is a completely valid opinion. no one can force another person to like this style, or to tell them that as a kid this is what they should have imagined the game to look like. i just don't think this style is doing anything wrong in representing the old game to a new audience, and there's a lot of reasons to believe that it's close to what the original would have looked like if there was no technical limitations.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe after this they will do a lttp remake with the same visual style just to exploit the work on a similar title
I am happy with ALBW as a follow up to aLttP. I think aLttP holds up a little better gameplay-wise than LA, mostly due to the control scheme, and I don't think it really begs for a remake. It remains visually attractive, has a varied and enjoyable soundscape, and is easy to pick up and play even in a contemporary setting. ALBW was a nice way to return to the world without retreading the same ground (you know what I mean). I would prefer the same kind of thing with LA, actually, and I hope this isn't a strict remake of the existing game.

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
I'm fucking down. I played Link's Awakening on the 3DS and it was great. It was slower than the Oracles series however. But I'm totally down for a remake.

Also how is the art style bad, they gotta retain that "chibi" aspect of Link's Awakening

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe after this they will do a lttp remake with the same visual style just to exploit the work on a similar title
the engine and style is obviously going the get reused for the inevitable remake of "for the frog the bell tolls" on switch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaeru_no_Tame_ni_Kane_wa_Naru

Also how is the art style bad, they gotta retain that "chibi" aspect of Link's Awakening
some people apparently thought it was going for some epic skyrim looking stlye when they first played it, never mind how crazy and wacky and silly a lot of the stuff in the game is.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they didn't use this art style for a LTTP remake just purely because LTTP is my definitive Zelda and I'd like an art style that reflects how it looked before in some way. This seems too far out. It's fine for this game, as a dreamy world but for LTTP I'm not sure I'd want it.

That said, it is beautiful so I wouldn't be that bothered.

I don't think they will though. It'll be a 2-4 player multiplayer game using this graphical style. Maybe a Four Swords remake.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the engine and style is obviously going the get reused for the inevitable remake of "for the frog the bell tolls" on switch.

some people apparently thought it was going for some epic skyrim looking stlye when they first played it, never mind how crazy and wacky and silly a lot of the stuff in the game is.
God, I want that game remade so bad. Plus so many don't even know who Prince Richard is in Link's Awakening!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This game would have melted the 3DS. If it was planned for 3DS they must have scrapped a lot of work to get where we are now

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather they didn't use this art style for a LTTP remake just purely because LTTP is my definitive Zelda and I'd like an art style that reflects how it looked before in some way. This seems too far out. It's fine for this game, as a dreamy world but for LTTP I'm not sure I'd want it.

That said, it is beautiful so I wouldn't be that bothered.

I don't think they will though. It'll be a 2-4 player multiplayer game using this graphical style. Maybe a Four Swords remake.
I don't see a lttp remake happening after albw. That halfway was a remake already.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game would have melted the 3DS. If it was planned for 3DS they must have scrapped a lot of work to get where we are now
i just question how and why would this have ever been planned for 3DS. 3DS already got MM, OoT, ALBW, and triforce heroes. the switch has been out for close to two years, with a lot of the games obviously starting the planning long before the system was out.
which is more likely?
1. after triforce heroes in 2015 they started work on the fifth zelda game for 3DS, and when in mid 2017 they realized switch is a hit and 3DS is on it's way out they started reworking the game for switch
2. it was always supposed to be a switch game, probably started development close to switch's launch.

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'm really looking forward to playing this game without the constant slow pausing whenever you need to change the item. That drove me crazy when I played DX on 3DS a bunch of years ago.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's true the switch is technically more capable than the Game Boy, but the Game Boy featured games like Metroid II and Donkey Kong Land, which didn't opt for shrinking proportions of their characters. The sprite design and visual direction of the original LA were an artistic choice, not necessarily dictated by the hardware. There were perhaps less options on Game Boy, but there was not only a single option. Not long after LA DX rolled around in '98 there were GBC games like Alone in the Dark, Dragon's Lair, and Perfect Dark that showed the platform was capable of much more ambitious visuals.

It was absolutely dictated by the hardware. Link's Awakening is the best you could reasonably expect a top down Zelda to look on the Game Boy. Using GBC games as counter examples is egregious because LADX was obviously not rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of the extra processing power.

Just like the FFVII remake has gotta retain the deformed character models, right?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
It was absolutely dictated by the hardware. Link's Awakening is the best you could reasonably expect a top down Zelda could look on the Game Boy. Using GBC games as counter examples is egregious because LADX was obviously not rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage of the extra processing power.
I don't think the using the GBC game is a bad example. It kept as near the original's visual identity as it could... similar to the switch version. That's part of my point here. It could have looked different. But it did not. The visual direction was an intentional choice to keep it as close to the original in-game look as possible.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
You are completely right! I did misread the chart I was looking at, it sold a million in the US in the first year! I still don't have faith in a 2D remake will get past the 2-3 million mark. I'll be glad to be proven wrong though.
True, but would it really sell much more at $40? Are they not maximizing profits by pricing it at $60?

After the success of BOTW, Zelda is riding higher than it has since OoT. This game will perform well.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
so... do you think they'll retain the ability to burn a dog to death with magic ? Because in retrospect that was pretty messed up.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The Prince is an Assist Trophy in Smash Bros. We need his game released so people know who he is.

People don't seem to remember the cutesy art style is meant to play off of just how crazy this game actually is. It's also incredibly melancholy so the cutesy art style is really gonna throw people unfamiliar with this game for a loop.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You just know if this was a complete remake (as in everything is remade. Not just the graphics) people would be complaining it was too different from the original. You just can't please everyone.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I think the art style reflects the game's tone pretty well, and it is very pretty, so I definitely don't find it bad.
That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't immediately let down after seeing that animated cutscene and briefly thinking the game was going to go for a hand-drawn style.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Positive or negative, looking at the ERA and Reddit spheres/bubbles, this title has easily generated the most huzz/discussion out of everything from the 2/13/19 Direct.