• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't really want to watch it now after seeing all of this but my girl already ordered the tickets...bleh. The whole thing just looks soulless.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Jesus.
Fucking.
Christ.

So they wanna steal the same camera moves etc, say the same lines, but strip it of any of the color, drama, or expressiveness.

Christ, this shit really does lack a soul. I mean usually I roll my eyes at that comment but... there it is.

I was wondering how Jon Favreau has the time to do this, Mandalorian, star in Spider-Man, and then put out Chef Show on Netflix. The picture really starts coming into focus about just how involved he was here...

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I don't see it as a "menace" to the original, it's more like a homage. There's always the 1994 version to watch.

A homage is... hmm, how should I say this, a homage is more of an affectionate thing... something that you do because you have an emotional connection to the thing you pay homage to.

While I also wouldn't call it a "menace", I wouldn't also call it a homage. It's just a more-money-for-the-corporate-company driven kinda thing than a homage, IMO.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually the best thing I've seen of the movie yet, but that's not really saying much.

Yeah it's not bad compared to everything else I've seen.

It looks like They've kinda shifted Scar from cold and calculated to being angry and brutish. I wonder if those character traits are easier to translate on these ultra realistic models, or if it was purely an artistic liberty.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
With the ultra realistic approach they're doing.. i'd rather they used subtitles throughout the film. Was never gonna happen, but it's better than this weird emotive voice acting over non emotive lip syncing.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017

It's fresh somehow again.

60% on rotten tomatoes.

With the ultra realistic approach they're doing.. i'd rather they used subtitles throughout the film. Was never gonna happen, but it's better than this weird emotive voice acting over non emotive lip syncing.

One review I read said it sometimes looks like the animals are telepathically communicating due to lack of facial expressions Lol 😆

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like people are finding a nitpick opinion and all jumping on the same band wagon, will hold judgement for now. Just can't wait to be, Friday!!!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like people are finding a nitpick opinion and all jumping on the same band wagon, will hold judgement for now. Just can't wait to be, Friday!!!
All the early negativity could be to TLK's advantage, just like Aladdin. Lowered expectations and all.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing it tomorrow at the premiere. Despite all the bad reviews, I'm looking forward to it! At the very least I will be enjoying the music and cute animals, even if they happen to show little emotions!

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Can we go back to animation? Was The Princess and the Frog really the last one?

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland

Yikes indeed. You have the same general animation, the same camera movement, but instead of any emotions, there are just lions flapping their mouths. Gone is Scar's cynical smile, gone are Mufasa's eyes going from despair to fear as he realizes what's going to happen.

If they wanted to go for the realistic look, they should change the script, change the way those scenes play, how the animals react etc. Because right now they took the original script, changed the looks and removed everything that didn't fit the new style without adding anything to replace that.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The realistic visuals with Mufasa's death scream gave me a good chortle

Mufasa's death scene was laughable, to be honest. The image of an ultra-realistic looking lion falling off of what looks like a short cliff to James Earl Jones' scream is like a comedy. Like if someone dubbed over a nature documentary for laughs. The gulf in emotion and expression between the two goes without saying.

Also, the new voice of Scar is a big miss. The actor isn't doing a bad job or anything, it's just that the original voice was so iconic, and this is about as opposite as you can get. They should have just asked Jeremy's Iron to return.

Sorry but I can't get over this, watching it again and again. It's a big realistic lion dropping off a cliff with no expression on its face, screaming in James Earl Jones' voice. It's straight up comedic.

Jan 3, 2018

RYc8LzJ.gif

Mufasa's death scene was laughable, to be honest. The image of an ultra-realistic looking lion falling off of what looks like a short cliff to James Earl Jones' scream is like a comedy. Like if someone dubbed over a nature documentary for laughs. The gulf in emotion and expression between the two goes without saying.

I found it almost as horrifying as that One Planet scene with the walrus. It looks like a real lion falling off a cliff.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
lmao

This is where I say that Jon Favreau fucking sucks. He doesn't even know how to rip off The Lion King right. Simba's reaction is made powerful in the original because it cuts directly from Mufasa's face to his. In the remake he decided to insert a shot between, for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Everything about this just looks so stilted. It's unbelievable Favreau and MPC were allowed to seemingly work unchecked on this property. I bet this movie would be quite different (AND BETTER), while still under the mandate of looking photorealistic, if it had been worked on by Disney animators.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
lmao

This is where I say that Jon Favreau fucking sucks. He doesn't even know how to rip off The Lion King right. Simba's reaction is made powerful in the original because it cuts directly from Mufasa's face to his. In the remake he decided to insert a shot between, for seemingly no reason whatsoever.

Everything about this just looks so stilted. It's unbelievable Favreau and MPC were allowed to seemingly work unchecked on this property. I bet this movie would be quite different (AND BETTER), while still under the mandate of looking photorealistic, if it had been worked on by Disney animators.
Captain gets lucky sucks at direction? Shocker!!

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
It's fresh somehow again.

60% on rotten tomatoes.

One review I read said it sometimes looks like the animals are telepathically communicating due to lack of facial expressions Lol 😆
Top critics is still rotten and I would be surprised if it holds that fresh overall, but yeah this one is barely making it it seems!

Jean Valjean

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nobody's making another thread, huh? So, I'll be seeing this tomorrow @ midnight. Will post my review here right after.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC

Yes please.

I sure as shit hope not.

The movie wasn't the greatest but it had some really strong scenes and brilliant visuals at the very least.

I would forgive these trash remakes if Disney had the balls to do a little hand drawn shit here and there. It's not like Disney's hurting for money.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Winnie the Pooh 2011 was the last one done. It didn't exactly have the biggest budget though so it's fairly short (it's about 70 minutes.)

Animation is good and it has fun songs, so it's worth the watch.

Also, Owl is the biggest troll in that film.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I passed by the toy section of Walmart earlier and was amused that there is a TON of Lion King stuff... but that 99% of it was using the 90s cartoon designs.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I absolutely loved the movie. I think this is one of those movies critics don't like while the audience does