Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
patch-ps2-the-lord-of-the-rings-collection-6-jogos-D_NQ_NP_738221-MLB28095427125_092018-F.jpg

Ok... maybe not all, but 4 out of 6 on the PS2 ain't bad!

Also this

MV5BMTk0MzM5ODk0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjA5MDk4MDE@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

ANd i had a pretty good time with this one, even though it's Sequel is pretty underwhelming (well the Story of the first one ended with a wet fart... but still! )

boxart-som-trio-f0461ebfaf.png

And well, i can't vouch for the Portable ones, i know there are quite a few on the GBA, like this one with a Cool ass box!

!!e!T4OgEWM~$(KGrHqEOKisE0oFnFdNcBNP2es1NCQ~~_1.JPG

There are also the Lego Games which are... Lego Games... so that's not bad. Doesn't mean they are amazing either... they are just.... Lego Games.

As the releases became less frequent over time and after the Hobbit trilogy failed to gain traction, i think it's fair to say that on the law of Averages, the games became worst over time. But still, for such a big franchise that had so many releases, it's quite interesting to note how some of these 1) aged just fine and are still fun. 2) Maintained a good quality level overall.

Of course, there are duds and im sure quite a few of you can point out some.... like the moba one........ but all and all, The Lord of The Rings is a solid franchise in the gaming space it seems!

I recently got my hands on the full set of PS2 titles and plan on going back to play them soon enough. These aren't big games, ranging between 5 to 9 hours each, except for the RPG's . Those are quite a bit longer. But seems like a good time is about to be had.

So, before there was Shadow of Mordor, did you played these games? Any lost gems or memories from the franchise?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's had some decent games, Lord of the Rings Online was fun too for a while.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Return of the King is a top 20 game in the entire PS2 Library. I also had a pretty good time with Mordor....recently got Shadow of War and it really hasnt grabbed me yet.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ROTK remains my favorite hack & slash game to this day. I think I still have the PC version installed somewhere, and that and Spider-Man 2 are pretty much the only reasons I still have my 360 hooked up.

Oct 31, 2017
On average?
One of the most tragically misused licenses in gaming.

It's a setting that oozes charisma, immersion, details... And it's typically used for underwhelming-to-average simplified experiences that hardly retain any of the qualities of the original books.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That GBA game is trash. I don't like to be so rude typically, but I got it as a gift and forced myself to play as far as I could. Very little to redeem besides the box art.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOTR was indeed the lucky one out of the many franchises that mainly received trash. Harry Potter got some decent games, too, but nothing stellar as far as I remember. The Matrix got multiple games, but at the end of the day all disappointed for one reason or another (I personally enjoyed them, but the jank was real). Stuff like Avatar, Bourne, Wanted, etc. from last-gen were serviceable if rather forgettable experiences. The same can be said for Tron, but at least that got the absolutely amazing and criminally forgotten Tron 2.0. James Bond is one that got multiple great games, but also some duds in the process. Overall it's probably safe to say the LOTR movies (while not all the games are based on the movies but on the books, it's quite obvious how the movies pushed the series to a massive mainstream popularity) received the highest quality for licensed games on average (out of the series that got a reasonable amount of games, especially), and probably the only franchise to get some really great games to boot as wel. Except maybe Mad Max or smaller games like the one for The Mummy reboot.

Obviously forgot Star Wars, which generated so many damn games that it's almost its own genre at this point. There have been amazing games, meh games, and some unholy turds as well there, so on average I wouldn't count them ahead of LOTR. But that series definitely produced the most quality in terms of numbers.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I played The Third Age, it was alright. I enjoyed the combat somewhat because it slavishly copies FFX, but I didn't like the cast, it felt like you were playing a reserve team version of the real fellowship.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame these games are now lost to licensing hell. They deserve a new life on on digital marketplaces.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Something i really liked about The Third Age was, that you could replay all bossfights in the game, but as the bosses.
Honestly such a cool, underrated game mode.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A rarity where the books, movies and games are great.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
TT/ROTK and the Third Age games were great but that Fellowship game on PS2 I'm quite fond of even though gameplay wise it's not very good. It's based on the book with a fair attention to detail and is more of an adventure game where you can explore the levels more than the others.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
That GBA game is trash. I don't like to be so rude typically, but I got it as a gift and forced myself to play as far as I could. Very little to redeem besides the box art.

I don't know about the one in the OP, but Two Towers (by EA, based on the film) for GBA was a pretty great Diablo clone given the platform, it obviously was dumbed down compared to Diablo games but I had a lot of fun playing it. It basically retold the story from the perspective of several characters, each of which represented a different class with different abilities and skill progression and there was quite a lot of collectibles to facilitate replays.

E: For what it's worth, it was made by Griptonite Games, the company behind the equally surprisingly good Harry Potter GBC games (full-blown RPGs, curiously enough probably the best video game adaptations of the Harry Potter series)

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
I was totally into that Fellowship of the Ring game in the first op picture. I had it for pc and it was so jolly. I wish they had made more. They were going for book canon and even had a Tom Bombadil level

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
man, played the ps2 brawlers one year ago and they haven't aged well AT ALL. I kind of regret my purchase.

The Battle for Middle Earth games were the best.

Hefty

Nov 9, 2018
I don't know about the one in the OP, but Two Towers (by EA, based on the film) for GBA was a pretty great Diablo clone given the platform, it obviously was dumbed down compared to Diablo games but I had a lot of fun playing it. It basically retold the story from the perspective of several characters, each of which represented a different class with different abilities and skill progression and there was quite a lot of collectibles to facilitate replays.

E: For what it's worth, it was made by Griptonite Games, the company behind the equally surprisingly good Harry Potter GBC games (full-blown RPGs, curiously enough probably the best video game adaptations of the Harry Potter series)
I second this, The Two Towers for GBA is a surprisingly competent game, it's amazing to me that the more complex action game of the bunch is for the freaking GBA, mad props to the devs for that.
lord-of-the-rings-the-the-two-towers.jpg

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Shadow of Mordor/War games are actually the best. They shit on the lore left and right, but seeing them as some kind of fan-fiction of a 10 years old makes it bearable. The gameplay and nemesis systems are really fun though.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
ROTK remains my favorite hack & slash game to this day. I think I still have the PC version installed somewhere, and that and Spider-Man 2 are pretty much the only reasons I still have my 360 hooked up.

Anyway to play this now on PC win8/10? I remember trying to re-play it (retail version) on win 7 but it didn't launch, I only got a error message (can't remember what it said).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Yeah, I heard the other EA LOTR games were pretty good regardless of platform. But the fellowship based on the book sadly can't conpare to those.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want Vermintide 2 completely reskinned to be a LOTR game. That would be awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Lord of the Rings Online was secretly one of the best MMOs for a few years. It still has some magic in it although it's pretty dated now.

Hefty

Nov 9, 2018
Yeah, I heard the other EA LOTR games were pretty good regardless of platform. But the fellowship based on the book sadly can't conpare to those.
To compensate for the lack of good fellowship games tho it need to be said that the two towers games(both ps2 and GBA) actually had a good portions of the fellowship events in them like Moria and the final Uruk hai battle.

Jul 5, 2018
I remember playing Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return around the time they (as well as the movies) were first coming out. Fellowship was some RPG like game that was completely different from the next 2. I remember having great fun with Two Towers and Return, just straight hack and slash that really appealed to 10/11 year old me.

I don't think I played another Middle Earth game til LOTR Online (way after it became f2p) and I had a lot of fun with that one for a while but just like every MMO that wasn't WoW I eventually moved on after a few months.

Then i played Shadow of Mordor and that is still one of my favorite games of this generation. I think it's still the only game this gen that I fully beat twice.

For some reason I just couldn't get into Shadow of War... Always meant to retry it but never did and at this point probably never will.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Someone needs to release a HD remaster of the one that essentially used Final Fantasy X's battle system (The Third Age?) Always wanted to play that one in particular, and I think it'd get quite a lot of attention now JRPGs are getting hot again.

the Shadow games did nothing for me, even the first one