Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
The Return of The King in co-op was marvelous!! Especially when you blew up the audio with that amazing OST from the movies and fighting hundreds of enemies on screen.

Corrupt

Shinra Employee
Oct 31, 2017
I know it would be a minefield of rights and lapsed licenses, but would GOG be able to get the Battle for Middle Earth games on the service, or have they already tried and failed?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I just remembered some Making-of-video inside the Two Towers game where they did an interview with Orlando Bloom who was like "man I didn't even know they can make games look that realistic by now!".

Oh Orlando, if you only knew back then how games would look nowadays...

pettersson

Oct 28, 2017
Which was the one on GameCube where you could play with two Players? I loved it playing with my brother over christmas

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
LOTRSNES.jpg

Anyone remembers this? :p
Yes. It was bad.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
never really cared for the tie-in

Battle of the Middle Earth 1&2 were average/run of the mill RTS heightened by the license (and mods)

LOTRO was good ya

something new will come up with the new amazon series right?

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm baffled by that War in the North would be considered a good game. At best it was painfully mediocre, and most of the times it was just a waste of time.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
the Movie tie ins (aside from FotR) were top tier hack and slash games in the PS2 era. the third age was a great RPG twist. and you forgot the GOAT

lotr-logo.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I'll also pour one out for Middle-Earth Online, which was shaping up into a really exciting sandbox MMO but went dark in the summer of 2005 and contorted itself into a WoW clone. Turbine got the LotR license and it launched as LotRO in 2007 and while that game has a special place in my heart, I wish we could have seen the original vision.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I think ROTK was the last EA game I ever bought. Some of the set pieces (the gates at Minas Tirith & the last stand at the Black Gate) were better than the movie.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
At a time where licensed games were mostly complete garbage, The Two Towers and Return of The King stood as GOAT adaptations. I actually replayed the latter on PC quite recently, it holds up super well.
Also, Lego Lord Of The Rings is the best open-world LOTR game. If you're looking for a somewhat recent videogame trip into the movies, this is the one to play.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy X is one of my favourite games and the battle system for The Third Age is very similar so I loved that. Evil mode in it was pretty cool too. I also really liked The Two Towers and Return of the King games. I would love a modern adaptation of the movies.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
There are also the Lego Games which are... Lego Games... so that's not bad. Doesn't mean they are amazing either... they are just.... Lego Games.
I would nuance this.
Some Lego games are better than others.
Some are geniunely good (Harry Potter, Marvel Super Heroes), some are meh (The Hobbit).
But Lego The Lord of the Ring is awesome. It was the first Lego game with an open world.
The Lego games fans are sad that this one is still not available on Xbox One BC. I understand them because I had so much fun with this one, it was the first one I played when I wasn't a kid anymore (when I was an edgy teenager that wanted to play some dumb and violent games like COD MW2 instead of Super Mario Galaxy 2 lol), and I still had a ton of fun with it.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
There are also the Lego Games which are... Lego Games... so that's not bad. Doesn't mean they are amazing either... they are just.... Lego Games.

I missed that subtle dismissal. Did you actually play Lego LOTR ? It's incredibly faithful to the movies, the open-world is super fun to explore, the music is... well 100% Howard Shore, all the movies' actors participated for voice acting, and it's got plenty of great humor.

Don't dismiss this one just because it's a "Lego Game".

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
I had the return of the king or one of the LOTR games for GBA. Was awesome and played like diablo 2.

Also the LOTR games for Ganecube were fire.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
War in the North, the 3rd age and Lotro are so good.

I would love another co-op rpg in the style of war in the North. It was a fantastic game

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved BFME 2.

Would play with a friend and we would make the biggest army possible on each side then just let them go at once.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im a bigger fan of GoT and Harry Potter, and we never get games for those. I wish we had more harry potter games

OP
OP
Araujo

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
giphy.gif

OP, Lego LOTR is the GOAT LOTR game, hands down.

The gen6 action games from EA really were pretty great though. As I recall, they weren't two player, correct? Their only real downside. Would be great to get a remaster of those. Was always a bit sad they never made a fellowship entry as that's my favorite environments/tone out of the trilogy.

I would nuance this.
Some Lego games are better than others.
Some are geniunely good (Harry Potter, Marvel Super Heroes), some are meh (The Hobbit).
But Lego The Lord of the Ring is awesome. It was the first Lego game with an open world.
The Lego games fans are sad that this one is still not available on Xbox One BC. I understand them because I had so much fun with this one, it was the first one I played when I wasn't a kid anymore (when I was an edgy teenager that wanted to play some dumb and violent games like COD MW2 instead of Super Mario Galaxy 2 lol), and I still had a ton of fun with it.

I missed that subtle dismissal. Did you actually play Lego LOTR ? It's incredibly faithful to the movies, the open-world is super fun to explore, the music is... well 100% Howard Shore, all the movies' actors participated for voice acting, and it's got plenty of great humor.

Don't dismiss this one just because it's a "Lego Game".

I cannot muster any hate, nor dismissal for Lego Games. I just can't. I can stand here and maybe shurg at the worst of them, but i just cannot point at them and say those are bad games... they are usually not.

But at the same time, it's weird. They have this "samey" quality to them, that even though each series has it's own unique quirks and mechanics they still somewhat get lumped together in my mind's eye.

Also why i never felt bothered seeing Lego games get accolades or big sales numbers (as they often do), it always made sense that it would be so. They are all pretty consistent... i just never felt "wowed" by any of them.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
maaaaaaaaan I loved me TT and ROTK on Gamecube back in the day, probably some of my favorite pure hack and slashers evers

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Lego LOTR is great, as big LOTR movie fan it really ticks lots of boxes.
It is genuinely good fun too and has an almost Nintendo stroke of inginuity at times.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
220px-LOTR_Conquest.jpg

It's not a particularly good game but I had an alright time with it. Battlefront but with LOTR characters and melee combat

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
220px-LOTR_Conquest.jpg

It's not a particularly good game but I had an alright time with it. Battlefront but with LOTR characters and melee combat
I remember having some good fun with the evil campaign. The best part was playing as the witch king fighting frodo in mount doom to reclaim the ring. Accidentally knocked frodo into the lava and panicked thinking I had lost. Would have been amazing if it had given me a fail for that outcome.