What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Again enjoyed this episode, but Gina Carano's acting and dialog were indeed pretty distracting in how poor they were. Like SyFy original movie level bad. Her character seems cool and I like her look, though.

Oct 25, 2017
The Mandalorian himself is like if you were aiming for the man with no name but you just didn't have the chops so you ended up at an empty suit with backstory that can sort of fight good.
---
It's nice to see Gina Carano again

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 4 was...bad. No one is invested in the village or their conflict with the raiders. This felt like a wasted episode.

Oct 25, 2017
Another bit with the villager design seemed to echo the Mando's flashbacks. The villagers were blue as opposed to the red of the Mando and the framing of the first attack was pretty close to the flashbacks from last Ep.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Here you go

aZyvE04.gif
I wish animated t-shirts existed like that animated paper in Harry Potter, because I would have this gif on a t-shirt tomorrow, if those were a thing.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I really loved episode 4. I could honestly watch 2 years worth of adventures/episodes of the Mandalorian in such a format. What a well done series thus far, keep it up Disney. And well done Bryce Dallas Howard in directing this episode.

Last edited:

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Pretty good episode. It looks like they're working their way around all of the core Western archetypes in these episodes. At some point before the end of the season, I expect the Mando to be the sheriff of a small village who faces off against three recently freed convicts by himself, as the town's people show themselves to be cowards and opportunists. Also, given some of the critiquing in this thread, I'd love to see people take their YouTube film training and apply it to widely regarded Westerns of the past.

I like the idea of the chicken walker being a menacing foe and something to genuinely fear. The walker rising as a shadowy menace in the dark with only its red windows illuminated like a pair of demon eyes was a great moment. On a planet with no anti-armor weaponry, a group of thugs could really clean-up and run the joint. It also shows that with the Empire gone, its weaponry is being sold off and winding-up in all kinds of places and being put to various uses.

I think the SG1 vibes are coming from the setting, which looks just like Standard Vancouver Village Location from the series.

Yeah big Kurosawa vibes from this episode, I get a lot of people feel this had Western vibes - lone gun slinger and all that, but for me it feels so much like the Samurai films I grew up watching as a kid. This was a very solid episode I'd say it's the third best so far behind last weeks episode and the second episode, kinda digging that it's a father-son dynamic with very few recurring characters so far I mean IG-11 and Cara Dune were advertised like leads but seem to be being used sparingly.
The two genres have influenced and bounced-off each other for decades. I kind of look at it like there's this collection of archetypes that've been localized for their respective regions, and then each region noticed how the other was telling these stories, and incorporated bits and pieces into their own storytelling. At their core, they're both concerned with telling myths about their respective peoples & history, as well as revealing uncomfortable & nuanced truths wrapped in simple, straightforward stories. From a storytelling perspective, they're great because they allow you to dispense with complicated plot fuckery and focus on characterization, which is always more interesting than plot.

Dec 12, 2017
Excelsior!
I really loved episode 4. I could honestly watch 2 years worth of adventures/episodes of the Mendalorian in such a format. What a well done series thus far, keep it up Disney. And well done Bryce Dallas Howard in directing this episode.
I mostly agree with everything you said except i really LIKED this episode but didn't LOVE it.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Another bit with the villager design seemed to echo the Mando's flashbacks. The villagers were blue as opposed to the red of the Mando and the framing of the first attack was pretty close to the flashbacks from last Ep.

The whole villager thing also plays into his wanting to help the people, as he even talks about what happened to him to the lead female villager. If anything he's been there and it helps motivate him to be willing to help them.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was okay. Definitely the weakest episode.

I agree with this. It was a bit too derivative. Just straight up a 41 min Seven Samurai episode, but without any of the interesting politics of the S7. Even the lighting and color grading felt off to me. But, I get that's intentional due to the different location and peaceful vibe it's trying to give off.

Episode 4 was...bad. No one is invested in the village or their conflict with the raiders. This felt like a wasted episode.

Exactly.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly enjoyable episode, but certainly the weakest of the 4 for me. Battle scene was fun and baby Yoda is the best, but the logic in the writing was frustrating. Lets lay low by being super obvious.

Yeah, this just perplexed me right at the start.

"We need to lay low."

"Hello renowned Mandalorian, will you please defend this utterly defenseless village from some raiders? It will surely cause quite a ruckus and be the talk of the planet if you succeed."

"The Perfect hideaway. I'm in."

Then at the end, Mando acknowledges that what they did was sure to attract others. You didn't think about that beforehand? It just seems they really wanted to have this S7 type episode and forced away to fit it into the overall narrative.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017

"We need to lay low."

"Hello renowned Mandalorian, will you please defend this utterly defenseless village from some raiders? It will surely cause quite a ruckus and be the talk of the planet if you succeed."

Then at the end, Mando acknowledges that what they did was sure to attract others. You didn't think about that beforehand? It just seems they really wanted to have this S7 type episode and forced away to fit it into the overall narrative.

i dont know. i mean, all thats true, but i got the impression that he knew from the beginning it would screw up his plans which is why he declined to help at first. it wasnt so much that he thought he could get away without his involvement attracting attention, it was more (imo), "i cant seem to stop doing the 'right' thing and im probably gonna have to leave after this". i think by the point of the meet with the villagers, whether he vocalized it for the audience or not, he was already considering the plan to leave Baby Yoda when he was done and move on (assuming, incorrectly, that theyd be hunting HIM and not BY).

i mean, the shows not perfectly written or nothing and this wasnt the highlight of the series so far, but i dont think its quite that bad.

EDIT: incidentally, the only scene that really pissed me off from a "this is stupid" POV was having the conversation about taking his helmet off in front of people... and then takes it off in a hut with a giant window and a flap for a door like that serves as adequate privacy? dawg, come on.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
This show is very much like 90's era Hercules/Xena/episodic anime. The acting this ep was really stilted for some reason ( probably cause it was 99% human instead of puppets).

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love everything about this show. Episode 4 is definitely the cutest for the baby too. How dare those kids make him feel self-conscious for eating frogs!

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: incidentally, the only scene that really pissed me off from a "this is stupid" POV was having the conversation about taking his helmet off in front of people... and then takes it off in a hut with a giant window and a flap for a door like that serves as adequate privacy? dawg, come on.
Lmao yeahhhh... they were like 15 feet away from him! All one of them would have had to do was turn their head 30 degrees and suddenly this rule you've lived your entire adult life by becomes meaningless.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
This was definitely the weakest of the bunch so far. The writing and acting just felt off at times. I don't think BDH did a good job with it. It was still enjoyable and the AT-ST was awesome. Pedro had great delivery and baby yoda was cute af as usual.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Last week, someone mentioned the rather funny criticism that the Mandalorian was getting too much of a goody two shoes because he wouldn't leave baby yoda to die to space nazi experimentation.

This week, that person might be feeling a bit more validated, with how Mando makes up flimsy reasons to justify protecting a random backwater village he stumbled on and even considered settling down with them since he was their protector hero now. And I have to consider that he's making up reasons to have an excuse to protect these people because his reasons for 'hiding' there, as others have mentioned, make no sense.

Oct 25, 2017

"We need to lay low."

I mean they didn't set out to fight an AT-ST.... A small job of being intimidation and running off some local miscreants in the backwoods is pretty low profile.

They even tried, feebly, to get the villagers to move because that fight would be too much. In the end they saved the villagers from servitude but compromised their own hiding.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah it was dope to see Gina Carano make her debut in this From Strikeforce/Elite XC to Fast & Furious/Deadpool/Star Wars She really has been in some big properties. Good fight scene with her and Mando outside the bar as well.

I kept looking at the actress who played Omera like where do I know her from, looked it up and it's Julia Jones who played Kohana in Westworld S2 (easily one of the best episodes that show has done).

They did a good job in making the AT-ST seem ominous with the red lights coming out of the woods.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I still stan this show so hard. I just watched the Clone Wars episode that was this same plot (and dedicated to Kurosawa) and this did an OK job with that trope. I need more Carano in the show, she was fantastic, and her fighting talent makes for the best combat scenes. Mando is given so many opportunities to give up the life, but he can't stop. This is the way.

I dug this episode but it's also what I want the Obi Wan show to be. Seven Samurai on Tattoine.

Yojimbo, Hutts vs. Pikes.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bryce Dallas Howard directed this? Wow, I didn't even know she was into Star Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.