• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Chapter 8: Redemption?

• Great

Votes: 708 73.8%
  • Good

Votes: 179 18.7%
  • Average

Votes: 60 6.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 12 1.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what this needed.

A pause in the ship building montage to flesh out Nolte's character (and a chance for Mando to flash more personality) would have been welcome too. Seems they are scared of any sort of exposition, to the series detriment. Kind of weird, considering early/good GoT is nearly all exposition and world building.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
A pause in the ship building montage to flesh out Nolte's character (and a chance for Mando to flash more personality) would have been welcome too. Seems they are scared of any sort of exposition, to the series detriment. Kind of weird, considering early/good GoT is nearly all exposition and world building.

Does it really need exposition though, is the question. For better or for worse this is following the typical western movie route narrative wise. We're just passive participants watching as Mando and Cub move forward and react to what's thrown at them. I fear that if they dwelled on exposition beyond the brief lines of a character like Herzog's it would ruin the immersion. If that makes sense.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Why did Mando feel it necessary to vaporize the Jawas (over using some other non-lethal means of subduing them)? They're seriously not that big a threat to him, but I guess he got pissed off they stole parts from his ship. In some ways it reminded me of Anakin slaughtering Tusken Raiders.

Oh and these episodes better start getting longer. 30 minutes is ridiculous for a non-comedy series. I want to see 50 minute episodes minimum.

I was glad he vaporized those little bastards. Wish he could have done more damage to them

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure I understand why people are upset or confused that he shot the Jawas. He's a merciless bounty hunter and those little shits stole from him, and not just some random valuable but they stole stuff that is essential to his livelihood. Just because he's not completely heartless that he wouldn't shoot a literal baby, doesn't mean he's that much of a bleeding heart that he wouldn't resort to lethal violence to get his shit back. C'mon lol.
I think playing expansive RPGs have rotted my brain because this recent episode felt like Mando was on a side quest just to get his ship back in literally one piece.

I have spoken.
I had a similar thought. Episode made me think of time padding in a modern open world game.
lmao glad I wasn't the only one haha.

For the record I didn't hate the episode or anything. I'll still keep watching, but it was definitely an RPG fetch quest.

If you don't like this music you worship Satan point blank
I didn't like that weird-ass music during the space rhino fight either. As for Satan... (checks music library) hmm, guess that checks out.

(That Indiana Jones-like music was dope though)

I was hoping to add a new poll to gather people's thoughts on Chapter 2 but I can't see any options. Anyone know if there's a way to do that?
I think you can delete polls and re-create new ones? Let me know if you need help with that.

i laughed at the ''i'm a Mandalorian, weapons are part of my religion" line because of the potential memes replacing Mandalorian with American.
lmao never thought of that
Yodel is a Mary Sue

Self taught Force baby
lol! Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

And yeah I expect literally 0 people to complain that baby Yodal is a Mary Sue despite being a literal Force-using baby. Funny...

ojtkooI.jpg
lol, no lies detected.

Women too, btw. I'd love to dress like the one on the right. :D

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Does it really need exposition though, is the question. For better or for worse this is following the typical western movie route narrative wise. We're just passive participants watching as Mando and Cub move forward and react to what's thrown at them. I fear that if they dwelled on exposition beyond the brief lines of a character like Herzog's it would ruin the immersion. If that makes sense.

It's fine if Mando wants to be the silent type but they need exposition or cues around him to flesh things out more. Greef (sp?) giving him the job and the credit exchange was an example of a good moment that also builds the world. The beskar being changed into the pauldron combined with the hammy flashback is an example of the bad. They should have faith in the characters and let them talk a bit more.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much on the same page as Surfinn, in that this whole thing feels like one huge fetch quest which makes me pretty disinterested. I love it whenever there's creatures on screen though, I liked seeing those Jawas, and I like the locations, and the opening fight to episode two was great. I really disliked the pilot episode, but this was a slight improvement. I like baby Yoda, it's so cute, and I wish Nolte had joined his crew really, cause I don't care about Mando himself or whatever he's doing. Music's great!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very much on the same page as Surfinn, in that this whole thing feels like one huge fetch quest which makes me pretty disinterested. I love it whenever there's creatures on screen though, I liked seeing those Jawas, and I like the locations, and the opening fight to episode two was great. I really disliked the pilot episode, but this was a slight improvement. I like baby Yoda, it's so cute, and I wish Nolte had joined his crew really, cause I don't care about Mando himself or whatever he's doing. Music's great!
I wanted him to join too. Because at this point he's an actual, ya know, character and not a cypher

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
The music has been rather forgettable for me. I hope they changes (the end credits is pretty good though).

Iceman

Oct 26, 2017
Alhambra, CA
Despite my own grievances, this second episode sets up the requisite adventure. The next episode will have Mando cross the threshold and enter the inverted world where the rules are completely alien to the protag. The 3rd chapter of an 8 chapter story is where the "fun and games" actually occur, aka the promise of the premise. So we should be getting the goods this friday.

By now we (should have) learned who the protag is, what he needs vs what he wants, the dynamic character that will challenge him to change for the better and guide him through the inverted world, and the villain who is provsing the main source of obstacles (for growth as well as for external goals).

My guess is that Mando will be struggling to learn about, and accept, the reality of the force. His mission will be find out the significance of the baby and get it to a proper safe location (away from Herzog). That will be achieved at the midpoint (end of episode 4). Then Mando's true need will be revealed and his most difficult challenges will appear.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I am so perplexed as to how I feel about this show. I just watched the first episode and I guess when they announced the budget and Favreau connection I imagined Star Wars as if HBO was doing it and we would get a GoT level of quality but this feels more like a show on the CW with a crazy budget. The good is I love the main character, great voice and presence. The fight with him and the droid was by far my favorite part of the whole episode. Things I'm shocked they didn't nail was:

Visual FX are all over the place. I don't think any of it looks excellent it seems to vary from passable to bad. Those two legged abominations were really bad.

Acting and dialogue from everyone not the Mandelorian isn't very good

Mandelorian lore - Kids keep their helmets on? Is a bit ridiculous. I didn't like that in the very first episode they are grounding this race of people as being so ordinary. The Destiny armor upgrade he got for accepting the contract was cool though.

Music - non existent.

More than anything I'm shocked it doesn't really feel like Star Wars. I also hate that the show is forcing all these connections to the films. It is a strong enough concept to stand on its own.

Will keep watching but so far not impressed

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of the episode was the Jawas with the egg. Felt really weird in a classic Star Wars way.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
The music has been rather forgettable for me. I hope they changes (the end credits is pretty good though).

Only the first episode but I agree so far. Can't think of any of the music standing out

It doesn't feel like star wars, but there is too much star wars. Ok

Huh? Do you think it having connections to the old movies automatically should make it feel like the movies? I'm genuinely curious how you think this is a given? Does that mean if I film a scene with me in a robe pretending to be a Jedi but I make sure to introduce my brother who is playing as a pre-teen Obi that by virtue of connection people can say it feels like Star Wars. Really? Shoot I'll go get a robe right now. Thanks!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Nick Nolte's mentor character in this. His voice has real gravitas to it and I love the puppetry on his body & face.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Huh? Do you think it having connections to the old movies automatically should make it feel like the movies? I'm genuinely curious how you think this is a given? Does that mean if I film a scene with me in a robe pretending to be a Jedi but I make sure to introduce my brother who is playing as a pre-teen Obi that by virtue of connection people can say it feels like Star Wars. Really? Shoot I'll go get a robe right now. Thanks!

Every inch of the show is star wars, not sure what you would want unless just another epic fantasy jedi saga. The whole point of the show is to be a sci fi western which was the foundation for much of the original movie's setting with Han Solo. What exactly feels like star wars to you, as this is a new slice of life we are seeing, with the focus on the lone gunslinger trope.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm a little surprised people are saying the soundtrack is forgettable, I think it's been impossible to miss in many instances, especially in EP2. Really love it

Oct 28, 2017
Only the first episode but I agree so far. Can't think of any of the music standing out

I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like actors cosplaying SW than a genuine SW movie

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm a little surprised people are saying the soundtrack is forgettable, I think it's been impossible to miss in many instances, especially in EP2. Really love it

The ST is fantastic, I'm so glad they went with something totally different from the generic fake John Williams sounding SW music that they tried with the cartoons.

Oct 28, 2017
You aren't wrong but this is already carving out it's own identity with its unique music etc compared to the ST
Really weird that you brought up the ST in your last two posts. Why do you keep doing that.

So far I find there to be literally no comparison between the ST (and the anthology movies) in how they created instantly identifiable and enjoyable characters vs whatever this series is doing.

But I really have no interest in pursuing that digression with you anyway (which I think was prob the point of your last two posts).

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Every inch of the show is star wars, not sure what you would want unless just another epic fantasy jedi saga. The whole point of the show is to be a sci fi western which was the foundation for much of the original movie's setting with Han Solo. What exactly feels like star wars to you, as this is a new slice of life we are seeing, with the focus on the lone gunslinger trope.

First I love that its going for the Mos Eisly Cantina Vibe and the outlaw feel of Star Wars I just don't think it's pulling it off. Dialogue in that first episode is really not great. Remember though I've only seen one

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This is so much better than the ST, wow

We can't know until TRoS releases, but I can't think of anything established in the ST that will be fun to play with in future canon besides Luke's failed Jedi Academy. The prequels and especially Clone Wars, for better or worse, expanded the universe significantly.

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
In the first episode the music sounded a little out of place to me. Idk, but I did notice its presence just wasn't sure if it sat well with me at the time.

Episode 2 really highlights the music and i now love it.

probably has to do with the decreased dialogue in episode 2, so the music stands out even more

Status
Not open for further replies.