Vote for your favourite moment of Season 2!

• Din and Cobb Vanth take on the Krayt Dragon

Votes: 61 5.5%
  • Din, Bo-Katan and her Mando allies storm the Imperial freighter

Votes: 37 3.3%
  • Ahsoka reveals the child's name and the mystery of the Force to Din

Votes: 119 10.7%
  • Boba Fett reacquires his armour

Votes: 89 8.0%
  • Mayfeld snaps and kills his old commander, Valin Hess

Votes: 234 21.0%
  • Slave 1 drops a seismic charge

Votes: 52 4.7%
  • Luke Skywalker comes to the rescue

Votes: 521 46.8%

• Total voters

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is better about turning her brain off with this show, and even she was like 'WTF is that?' This episode almost felt like self-parody.
Krayt Dragons and their pearls are a whole thing in Star Wars.

starwars.fandom.com

Krayt dragon pearl

I've been to Tatooine, actually, and bagged a krayt dragon there. Its pearls paid for the upgrades on the Jewel. Nakari Kelen, to Luke Skywalker Krayt dragon pearls were gastroliths that could be found in the bellies of krayt dragons,[2] a species of large creatures that could be found on the...

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Mandalorian is infinitely much better than the new trilogy.

Change-My-Mind.jpg

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017

Change-My-Mind.jpg
Nah. Dull main characters (it's really hard to care for a protagonist who hides behind a expressionless mask and talks with an expressionless robotvoice), more obsessed with fan service winks and lore than actual storytelling, some terrible guest performances, season 1 consisted of mostly mediocre or flat-out weak episodes, some wonky CGI and make-up work making it sometimes feel like a (wellmade) fan film and often it can't escape a 'filmed on a sound stage' feeling due to the production technique (which is impressive, but can feel suffocating even in 'open' sets). And it's main draw is a cute McGuffin that in the end is still a McGuffin.

There are a lot of fun moments in it, but it's hard to actually care or feel for these characters. I must admit the last three episodes (final two of S1 and first of S2) were a lot better, so I hope the series has finally found it's stride. But it doesn't come close to the fun and charm of TFA, let alone the brilliant storytelling and character development of TLJ. And as TFA and TLJ lay so much groundwork in making me actually care for the ST characters, I even enjoyed TROS more than the majority of The Mandalorian.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Really enjoyed it. The world building and the mini-bromance with Cobb Vanth at the end was cool. I'm glad they didn't write him to be some cliched double-crosser.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Nah. Dull main characters (it's really hard to care for a protagonist who hides behind a expressionless mask and talks with an expressionless robotvoice), more obsessed with fan service winks and lore than actual storytelling, some terrible guest performances, season 1 consisted of mostly mediocre or flat-out weak episodes, some wonky CGI and make-up work making it sometimes feel like a (wellmade) fan film and often it can't escape a 'filmed on a sound stage' feeling due to the production technique (which is impressive, but can feel suffocating even in 'open' sets). And it's main draw is a cute McGuffin that in the end is still a McGuffin.

There are a lot of fun moments in it, but it's hard to actually care or feel for these characters. I must admit the last three episodes (final two of S1 and first of S2) were a lot better, so I hope the series has finally found it's stride. But it doesn't come close to the fun and charm of TFA, let alone the brilliant storytelling and character development of TLJ. And as TFA and TLJ lay so much groundwork in making me actually care for the ST characters, I even enjoyed TROS more than the majority of The Mandalorian.

I like TFA somewhat but characters and storytelling is what makes me really dislike TLJ. And TROS is just a bad mess of a movie.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first episode! Cobb Vanth is a cool dude, hope he's staying around for more screentime. That ending has me hyped, i hope the showrunners give Temuera Morrison a chance to redeem Boba Fett after that sketch-show ending he got in RotJ.

One thing i wished was that the Krayt Dragon should've been show in full at some point, with the legs. My wife still thinks it's just a really huge snake and won't believe me that these things actually have 10 legs. ^^

What do you people think? Given that in Legends canon, the Krayt pearl / the core of it could be used for lightsaber building, may we see it again in combination with the Darksaber?

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Change-My-Mind.jpg

I totally agree, myself. The sequel trilogy started off well, even if it was pretty unoriginal but, when the next two movies are among the worst Star Wars movies ever made, you know the trilogy itself is a dud.

Since Disney bought Lucasfilm, they have only produced two truly great pieces of material - The Mandalorian and the final season of The Clone Wars. I like Rogue One and Solo a lot for different reasons, but both would have benefited so much more from being TV shows as well. Imagine Rogue One's story being told over eight hours instead of two, with the team stealing other vital Imperial intel in other missions and fleshing out their characters more before their final heist on Scarif. I'm sure Disney could've afforded to keep in the big space battle at the end too and having that as the final episode would have blown minds.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't SW fans like one SW thing without shitting on the other SW thing?????

Don't ruin this thread please.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018

You could argue that The Mandalorian is really flat in its characterisation and I wouldn't even disagree. But if the show is "neutral", then I'd rate the sequels as "bad."

None of the characters in ST are actually interesting, apart from Fin who got sidelined after the first movie and never recovered. So yeah I think I'd have to agree with the OP: The Mandalorian (and Clone Wars S7) easily remain the best new Star Wars media since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

Jun 18, 2020
Hard agreement, the Mandalorian is such a great, fun show. Star Wars movies are supposed to be fun, and outside of the initial "wow!" of TFA, I felt the entire ST was dull at best. RJ directing the entire thing could have likely made it good, but JJ can never finish anything properly, resulting in TROS being so bad it literally invalidated entire character arcs from the OT/PT (as well as its own damn characters, too.)

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Agrees except for TROS bit, that "film" is the lowest trash possible.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I like TFA somewhat but characters and storytelling is what makes me really dislike TLJ. And TROS is just a bad mess of a movie.
The characters and storytelling are what makes TLJ great though. It truly understands the power of internal conflict, and pushes every character to readjust their believes and go through change. It has some flaws, but the writing is spot on.

Above all, it's a Star Wars movie that succeeds at touching me on an emotional level, which only the OT succeeded in before and something the Mandalorian can only dream of ever achieving.

You could argue that The Mandalorian is really flat in its characterisation and I wouldn't even disagree. But if the show is "neutral", then I'd rate the sequels as "bad."

None of the characters in ST are actually interesting, apart from Fin who got sidelined after the first movie and never recovered. So yeah I think I'd have to agree with the OP: The Mandalorian (and Clone Wars S7) easily remain the best new Star Wars media since Disney bought Lucasfilm.

I disagree, a lot. The ST characters have struggles and flaws to relate to and overcome, which makes them way more compelling to follow. I agree there was more potential in Finn as a turned Stormtrooper, but I found his arc of finding a cause to fight for quite compelling (TROS shit the bed in not following up on it). Rey is a compelling 'hero's journey' character that gets pushed through the right conflicts to make you root and care for her, Kylo is a more interesting and rounded bad guy than Vader, ... Poe was flat as hell in TFA, but they made him interesting in TLJ by confronting the image he (and we) have of heroism.

Next to that, the ST is creatively on a whole other level, with way better direction, way better cinematography, way better performances. Some parts of The Mandalorian S1 feels flat-out fan-film-like (doesn't help it is stuffed with winks and easter eggs that feel pandering it best). It often fails at telling fun stories too, because it's seems more preoccupied with providing lore and worldbuilding (which should only be in service of a story, not the story itself) than actual story. The show is servicable for now, with quality going up in the latter episodes (which makes me hopefull for this season). And of course it's unfair to compare a tv-show to a huge budget film trilogy, but for now The Mandalorian for now mostly fails at what it sets out to do: telling good, serialised stories in the Star Wars universe.

Agrees except for TROS bit, that "film" is the lowest trash possible.

I just can't deny the fact that the first time I saw it (way to hyped over my head) I enjoyed it despite all it's flaws, and that the second time the stupidity of a lot of choices didn't bother me as much as they should. To me it shows the power of compelling characters. Because I cared for them, I went along for the ride. (And I believe a lot of the Rey/Kylo storyline is pretty good, even though it isn't always as well-developped as it could or should). I enjoyed it way more than Mandalorian S1, which gave me nothing to care about apart from some 'look, you recognise this, you're such a Star Wars nerd like us!'winks every other shot.

Fuck Palps though.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe I got to see a Krayt Dragon. I have been waiting since 2003 for someone to put one on my TV screen.

Edit: Also, how are people second guessing the Boba Fett cliffhanger? It is the same actor as Jango Fett.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I finally got around to watching this. I give it a 7. The action was cool but jeesh the dialogue is pretty rough. While looking at the model the raiders had created to plan the attack, Olyphant is like "what are the bones?" and Mando explains it is to represent the Dragon. Never mind that the bones literally look like a Dragon and wtf else would it be they are all trying to kill a dragon lmao.

I know they want kids to watch this show and enjoy it, It's just the explaining things to children is really painful and makes the characters look like a simpletons. It happens way too much in this show. Anyway it was a fun episode.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Also, how are people second guessing the Boba Fett cliffhanger? It is the same actor as Jango Fett.

Yeah, i mean, given that basically the whole episode was about the shit Mando had to do to get the Mandalorian armor, that's clearly Boba Fett's, back from the Marshall, i don't think that there's any room for other ideas. ^^

If this wasn't about the armor, the episode would've been over once Cobb Vanth told him that he's not a Mandalorian.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

Change-My-Mind.jpg

Did you know its possible to like one thing without shitting on another? Pretty crazy, I know!

The Mandalorian AND the Sequel Trilogy rock. And if you don't like one, that's fine, but don't try to derail a thread with stupid, baited nonsense.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I finally got around to watching this. I give it a 7. The action was cool but jeesh the dialogue is pretty rough. While looking at the model the raiders had created to plan the attack, Olyphant is like "what are the bones?" and Mando explains it is to represent the Dragon. Never mind that the bones literally look like a Dragon and wtf else would it be they are all trying to kill a dragon lmao.

huh?

that was just dialogue for people to realize how big the dragon is.

Cobb is not asking if the bones represent the dragon, he aks if the size is to scale.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who bash the show for not having a ton of depth or character development (for our Mando) must've forgotten or ignore the fact that the show is HEAVILY influenced, or just IS - a spaghetti western. The fact that this dude has a name is depth for that genre :P

Star Wars delving into other genres of storytelling is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered, IMO.

I'm loving it. Can't wait for more.

Oct 28, 2017
People who bash the show for not having a ton of depth or character development (for our Mando) must've forgotten or ignore the fact that the show is HEAVILY influenced, or just IS - a spaghetti western. The fact that this dude has a name is depth for that genre :P

Star Wars delving into other genres of storytelling is pretty much exactly what the doctor ordered, IMO.

Yep. This is a serialized western with direct influences from the golden age of television.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
It's so painfully obvious lol.

"It doesn't have depth like Game of Thrones so it's bad".

Derp.
I wonder what in Favreau filmography made people think we are getting super in depth character writing and plot lmao.

I am saying this while enjoying mando. This show won't change its course unless Favreau leaves the show and *checks notes* that ain't happening.

He should have some kind of writer room tho.. but hey 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. My favorite movie of all time "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" Eastwood wears the exact stoic expression for nearly 3 hours. This is a Western, and unapologetically so

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Did you know its possible to like one thing without shitting on another? Pretty crazy, I know!

The Mandalorian AND the Sequel Trilogy rock. And if you don't like one, that's fine, but don't try to derail a thread with stupid, baited nonsense.

Because, for me this show pretty much stays very true what Star Wars has always been for me. This feels like a real continuation to the OT. Whereas the ST completely shit the bed there barring TFA to some degree.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also just so BLOWN AWAY with the level of special effects we are seeing in a television show. These are modern day cinematic effects you would find in a $250 million blockbuster. George Lucas has got to be so proud of ILM. This level was his personal holy grail he tried to get to with live action television but never quite got there.

Go ahead and back up the truck full of Next year's technical Emmy awards to Lucasfilm's door.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I disagree, a lot. The ST characters have struggles and flaws to relate to and overcome, which makes them way more compelling to follow. I agree there was more potential in Finn as a turned Stormtrooper, but I found his arc of finding a cause to fight for quite compelling (TROS shit the bed in not following up on it). Rey is a compelling 'hero's journey' character that gets pushed through the right conflicts to make you root and care for her, Kylo is a more interesting and rounded bad guy than Vader, ... Poe was flat as hell in TFA, but they made him interesting in TLJ by confronting the image he (and we) have of heroism.

Next to that, the ST is creatively on a whole other level, with way better direction, way better cinematography, way better performances. Some parts of The Mandalorian S1 feels flat-out fan-film-like (doesn't help it is stuffed with winks and easter eggs that feel pandering it best). It often fails at telling fun stories too, because it's seems more preoccupied with providing lore and worldbuilding (which should only be in service of a story, not the story itself) than actual story. The show is servicable for now, with quality going up in the latter episodes (which makes me hopefull for this season). And of course it's unfair to compare a tv-show to a huge budget film trilogy, but for now The Mandalorian for now mostly fails at what it sets out to do: telling good, serialised stories in the Star Wars universe.
TROS really did shit the bed, as most characters did start out kinda interesting.
Fin imo needed much more of an ethical struggle to be interesting. We learn that a great deal of Stormtroopers are actually kidnapped children, but then they never really follow up on that except for those weird horse rider troupe in TROS. The leaked Duel of Fates script at least followed up on that.
Rey, well, her struggle was her heritage, right? That got kinda fucked didn't it. I found Luke's journey more compelling personally, as Luke was in this Spider-Man position where he was obviously dealing with power and destiny, but also didn't want to let down his friends - we didn't really get that from Rey for instance.
Poe was Han Solo lite and they sadly didn't do too much with that. His mutiny side plot wasn't handled too well either imo.
Kylo, the obvious candidate, had a cool setup at the end of TLJ (oh shit, he's ACTUALLY committed to being the big baddie!) but then he did the inevitable and completely predictable thing and redeemed himself.

I dunno about direction with two movies being by JJ whose style I really don't enjoy, and in terms of cinematography I'd put them in the same league.
Overall I'm not even disagreeing a lot with you there, and would argue it's a matter of taste. Like, I enjoy the John Wick movies, but I know what they are and what they not are. Keanu gives a servicable performance, the worldbuilding is great, and the story is minimal and more plot-heavy. Is it fun? Yeah, I think so, it's well made for what it is. Is in the same tier as something like Fury Road? Nah probably not.
Could it be better? Yeah, for sure. Mando was at its most interesting towards the end and during its more intimate moments, but for now it's just kinda innocent fun to see a guy in badass armour do some shit in the SW universe like hunting down a dragon.
That's how I see it. I would however be very disappointed if the Kenobi show followed the same pattern.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
TFA and TLJ are the best things to happen to Star Wars since ESB (Return of the Jedi is my favorite but it is technically a weaker movie), and that includes everything to come after them too.

I was somewhat neutral on Mando's first season, liking some episodes and feeling nothing about others. But I really liked this premiere. Timothy Olyphant looks like he's aged into current Pierce Brosnan. I hope he sticks around for more eps.

I think one thing working against Mando in this comparison is that while the leads in spaghetti westerns were pretty thinly written, guys like Eastwood and Van Cleef and Nero could exude a lot of charisma and badassery with just a look. Mando has a helmet working against him in that regard; the armor has to carry the charisma more than the man underneath it.

I'm also just so BLOWN AWAY with the level of special effects we are seeing in a television show. These are modern day cinematic effects you would find in a $250 million blockbuster. George Lucas has got to be so proud of ILM. This level was his personal holy grail he tried to get to with live action television but never quite got there.

Go ahead and back up the truck full of Next year's technical Emmy awards to Lucasfilm's door.
Yeah it's insane. The first season looked good, but villager + Tusken Raider team up against the dragon was just incredible for a tv show. When Mando and Cobb take off with their attacks to confront the dragon head on, I was just going, holy fuck, it is going down.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TFA and TLJ are the best things to happen to Star Wars since ESB (Return of the Jedi is my favorite but it is technically a weaker movie), and that includes everything to come after them too.

I was somewhat neutral on Mando's first season, liking some episodes and feeling nothing about others. But I really liked this premiere. Timothy Olyphant looks like he's aged into current Pierce Brosnan. I hope he sticks around for more eps.

I think one thing working against Mando in this comparison is that while the leads in spaghetti westerns were pretty thinly written, guys like Eastwood and Van Cleef and Nero could exude a lot of charisma and badassery with just a look. Mando has a helmet working against him in that regard; the armor has to carry the charisma more than the man underneath it.

Yeah it's insane. The first season looked good, but villager + Tusken Raider team up against the dragon was just incredible for a tv show. When Mando and Cobb take off with their attacks to confront the dragon head on, I was just going, holy fuck, it is going down.
True - but I DO think the armor/his mannerisms exude that charisma. He's a badass.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Solid start for sure. Seems like they really upped the budget after the success of Season 1.

This weekly release thing is giving me major blueballs though. At least let us have two at a time.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Can this thread not turn into another sequel trilogy argument thread, PLEASE. All the arguments have been heard and literally the only person who gives a shit about what y'all are saying is you.

Episode was great. Hoping we get Rex in addition to Boba. I was against bringing Boba back but making him cursed/wounded and potentially seeking his armor which Mando feels is his tribe's birthright is *mwa*