• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for bands/albums that sound like early Megadeth (Killing is My Business, Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?) style

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Not new, but I always thought Havok sounded quite a bit like Megadeth. Maybe a mix of Death Angel, Slayer and Megadeth, but mainly Megadeth.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Not new, but I always thought Havok sounded quite a bit like Megadeth. Maybe a mix of Death Angel, Slayer and Megadeth, but mainly Megadeth.

Havok sure got that "Head up their ass" approach to lyrical themes like Dave does. I think they are unbearable past their first album, honestly because of that.

If you are looking for a good power/thrash album from June, the new Denied album has a great performance by Søren Adamsen (formally of Artillery)

Last edited:

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Besides Mekong Delta, all those bands are fairly new. Do you want band within the past 5 years? I also do annual demo rankings for brand new bands
Sorry for not responding earlier. I would take everything really, past 5 years sound good :)
Just discovered Exhorder and they are pretty great as well. I dig the "slower" Thrash songs, if that can make any sense, haha.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for not responding earlier. I would take everything really, past 5 years sound good :)
Just discovered Exhorder and they are pretty great as well. I dig the "slower" Thrash songs, if that can make any sense, haha.

If you like mid-paced thrash, check out the classic from Belgium

Channel Zero

Or perhaps the underground jewel from Sweden

Agony - First Defiance

For newer bands that have a killer crunch to them

One of my favorites from 2014

Demon Prayers - Evoke the Pain

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Defazer, from the Netherlands with a short but effective thrash album to help end a solid month of new thrash releases.

Gives me Vulture vibes, another thrash band from the Netherlands

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

preview of the new Ecchymosis. Utter ping savagery. Grooves are also on fucking point. Cover makes me think of The Last of Us, what timing.

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
nice, cool to see another fan. Again you may have heard this but I always thought the Kallathon-Volahn split was extremely underrated as far as BTC works. Minute-for-minute it's Volahn's best material, hands down.

also yeah Macabre Omen rule.

Really liking the post-hardcore influence on the Volahn side of the split

CaptainTrips

Nov 20, 2017
really liking the production on that demo. nice mixture of psych and dissonant bm.

Spinning a bunch of new wave of heavy metal records lately with Angel Sword the top of the pile.

Talking about old school metal, Sabire is one of few local bands in a dead Sydney scene. They play early WASP style glam metal.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
Enterprise Earth dropped an EP with a really great cover of Lamb of God's "Now You've Got Something to Die For"

And of course they downtuned the breakdown at the end, lol.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Ha, I was just thinking of this video the other day. Classic metal youtube.

I was also listening to Altars in my car the other day and remembered this gem. Morbid Angel rehearsing Altars material in 1990 in a storage facility.

too goddamn legit. Kinda racking my brain now lol. This Beherit video live at The Mall is pretty legendary too.

spiderferi

Apr 15, 2018
Tehran, Iran
I don't know what is about Doom/Stoner music that ages like wine. The more I age, the more I listen to doom music and the more I like it. Black Sabbath-esque Doom has become my favorite genre for some years and I don't think it will change anytime soon.

TheLastCandle

Oct 25, 2017
Harrisburg, PA, USA
I'm giving the new (and last :( ) Falconer album a second spin right now. It's certainly good, but to me this definitely sounds like a band that knows they are writing their final album. There's this melancholy vibe that just kind of winds through the whole thing. It's not an album that kicks you in the ass right away like Black Moon Rising was, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

All that said, during my first listen I was making salsa and my full attention was elsewhere.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Ayreon - Transitus (Album Trailer)

And... the pre-sales for physical product of Transitus have started! Pre-order: http://smarturl.it/ayreon-MLGIn case you’re not entirely convinced yet... I’m...

I'm giving the new (and last :( ) Falconer album a second spin right now. It's certainly good, but to me this definitely sounds like a band that knows they are writing their final album. There's this melancholy vibe that just kind of winds through the whole thing. It's not an album that kicks you in the ass right away like Black Moon Rising was, but I'm definitely enjoying it.

All that said, during my first listen I was making salsa and my full attention was elsewhere.

Seemed ok from the very very brief listen I gave it earlier.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I've been itching to practice with my band since March. Thinking about having a jam next weekend with everyone wearing masks.

Has anyone else resumed practice with their bands yet?

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Quick search and didn't seem like this had been shared. Enjoying this black metal/stoner/whatever else album. Looks like a debut LP after a bunch of singles and EPs.

suiciderecordsfinland.bandcamp.com

Firebride, by Black Royal

9 track album

Last edited:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
This album came out Friday. You'll like it if you enjoy melodic black/death metal.

I remember hearing a single or something from this a while ago, thanks for the reminder. I like it, but wanted to love it. Production could've used some help. Guitar tone mainly, and the vocals could've used a bigger push to the front of the mix.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
fCIxVI9r5I8.jpg

new DEEDS OF FLESH will finally see the light of day.

Oct 27, 2017
that's pretty sick and unexpected. "of what's to come" was great and "portals to canaan" was more of the same.
I'm curious to see where they go with this one

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to skew more towards the classic metal or power metal voice, but I don't particularly care for most "power" metal outside of the US, since the early 90s anyway. This is an exception, and what a voice.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
yeah Lost Horizon are pretty fantastic. My sentiments on power metal are the same.

speaking of power metal, Buried by Time and Dust are putting this cult USPM material on wax for the first time ever. Super stoked.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Those Lost Horizon albums are in the category of "I'm not sure what to listen to, I'll just put on these albums and be happy". So good.

If you want more of Daniel's vocals, I'll recommend some of his other appearances. Harmony - Theatre of Redemption, Crystal Eyes - Confession of the Maker, Dimhav - The Boreal Flame (I haven't listened to this one that much, think it's a bit more proggy).

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Those Lost Horizon albums are in the category of "I'm not sure what to listen to, I'll just put on these albums and be happy". So good.

If you want more of Daniel's vocals, I'll recommend some of his other appearances. Harmony - Theatre of Redemption, Crystal Eyes - Confession of the Maker, Dimhav - The Boreal Flame (I haven't listened to this one that much, think it's a bit more proggy).

Thanks, I'll be sure to check his other works out. From what I've read of him though, he never managed to record anything that matched his performance on the two Lost Horizon albums, but this was a few years ago. Dimhav does seem quite a bit more proggy, folksy, or even more like a movie score. I need to be in a very particular mood to keep that on rotation, but I'll give it a shot.

yeah Lost Horizon are pretty fantastic. My sentiments on power metal are the same.

speaking of power metal, Buried by Time and Dust are putting this cult USPM material on wax for the first time ever. Super stoked.

Haha, that Enchanter cover reminded me of another somewhat more recent band that I thought was more than OK. Not sure if this really counts as power metal though, and is more Power/Doom.

The vocalist at times has an extremely Kiske like presentation.

Last edited:

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017

Nice news! This is a classic cut.

Also, if you are looking for choice Power/thrash, Divebomb are releasing the compilation from the cult Ohio thrashers Deus Vult

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

This band, along with Intronaut are two of my favorite prog/post-metal bands. Heck, even a good friend of mine who doesn't really like much in the way of extreme vocals at all really digs both of them too. Speaking of Intronaut, with all of the crap happening over the last few months, I had no idea their new album was already out.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
All 3 (very positive) reviews on MA say Lost Horizon was his weakest work or not all that great haha, I'm slightly worried about listening :p
Thanks, I'll be sure to check his other works out. From what I've read of him though, he never managed to record anything that matched his performance on the two Lost Horizon albums, but this was a few years ago. Dimhav does seem quite a bit more proggy, folksy, or even more like a movie score. I need to be in a very particular mood to keep that on rotation, but I'll give it a shot.

Listened to the Dimhav album again for a refresher. I think it's great, but yeah... It's the sort of prog that's just complex enough to require attentive listening. Enough going on to need to focus with the songs being so long. Daniel sounds plenty good.

(I'll just put Lost Horizon back on for nice summer time listening lol)

blahness

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should listen to Abyssidious demo "Murk and Malice" it takes a lot of inspiration from BTC. Very good for a demo.

posting for visibility, and goddamn you're right. This is Arizmenda worship like I've never heard. Cheers! I picked up a tape. Digital is NYP for those interested.

YES! This is some great stuff! I really enjoyed this and ordered a tape.

Here is some DM goodness I have come across recently