Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely late to the party. Heard about this band years ago, but for whatever reason it didn't register much. Listened to the album two months ago, then bought it and it's been getting consistent play throughout each week since.

Last edited:

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Just discovered this Swiss Symphonic metal band called Ad Infinitum and I'm just loving their debut album called "Chapter I - Monarchy". It's a concept album about (probably) the French Revolution, though I could be wrong. Just loving the vocalist. Melissa's vocals are so silky smooth and I've been jamming this album for the last couple of hours almost entirely to listen to those golden pipes, though I must say that the rest of the band are not bad at all either and are in fact pretty good in their own right.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Just discovered this Swiss Symphonic metal band called Ad Infinitum and I'm just loving their debut album called "Chapter I - Monarchy". It's a concept album about (probably) the French Revolution, though I could be wrong. Just loving the vocalist. Melissa's vocals are so silky smooth and I've been jamming this album for the last couple of hours almost entirely to listen to those golden pipes, though I must say that the rest of the band are not bad at all either and are in fact pretty good in their own right.

Love this album, might be my favorite of the year.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I actually don't mind them at all. They aren't very distinctive (not everyone can be Mikael Stanne) but they're not bad either. She could probably improve upon them.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Checking out the Ad Infinitum album, good start so far. Name is familiar, so I probably saw a thumbnail in my youtube feed at some point. Thanks for the rec.

(I'll toss a rec in for Tyranny of Hours' album "Darkling" if you haven't listened)

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017

If you're digging the vocals, she's also the vocalist for Rage of Light. I didn't really care for that band much, but revisiting them after Ad Infinitum, I've dug them a bit more.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

Xtreem just put out an Adramelech comp of all pre-Psychostasia material. Lots of great recordings here.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, they're definitely not the most obscure band out there.

Well, I'd say so, considering how niche thrash really is and even more niche in Progressive thrash. Aspid is one of the top 10 bands every prog thrash should listen to before anything else. Among seasoned thrash fans, though, they are known and celebrated (myself in cluded)

If you want an obscure Russian prog thrash band that I sing the praise of often, check out EndZone

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I'd say so, considering how niche thrash really is and even more niche in Progressive thrash. Aspid is one of the top 10 bands every prog thrash should listen to before anything else. Among seasoned thrash fans, though, they are known and celebrated (myself in cluded)

If you want an obscure Russian prog thrash band that I sing the praise of often, check out EndZone

I take it that thrash is your favourite subgenre? What are your favourite thrash albums?

I tried making a top 10 list, but with 1 per band so that Metallica wouldn't take up like the top 3 spots. The order is also subject to a lot of change, other than #1, really:

1. Metallica - ...And Justice For All
  2. Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
  3. Sodom - Agent Orange
  4. Exhorder - Slaughter at the Vatican
  5. Heathen - Victims of Deception
  6. Aspid - Extravasation
  7. Sepultura - Beneath the Remains (I'm going to have to listen to Arise and BtR more to see which I prefer, but right now it's BtR)
  8. Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
  9. Razor - Violent Restitution
  10. Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?
Also, it appears that I can't just buy Beneath the Remains or Arise without getting the deluxe editions... I just wanted the original albums, I don't need all those bonus tracks.

Last edited:

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
This rules. Last album was great too.

have you heard of Old Nick? Figured you might dig them. Pretty refreshing take on raw black metal. Some of the coolest use of keys I've heard in the genre. Extremely catchy stuff. They have a lot of releases already but I'm barely catching on to them.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
New Finntroll! Sounds like their old shit.

Oh shit, they're back? I really liked their old stuff back in the day but they kind of fell off my radar and I don't even really know why. I don't think I heard their last 2-3 albums.

This seems solid though.

absolutely epic and triumphant Finnish black metal. Highly recommend.

Getting Moonsorrow vibe here... I like this so far. Thanks!

Man, I feel like I'm back in 2001 or something. :D

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017

have you heard of Old Nick? Figured you might dig them. Pretty refreshing take on raw black metal. Some of the coolest use of keys I've heard in the genre. Extremely catchy stuff. They have a lot of releases already but I'm barely catching on to them.

Baha this is wacky but fun as hell. Definitely will dig into them.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia
No more Winter days of Metal in Slovenia, festival organizers confirmed the rumors that last year was the last edition of the festival.

Main reason is uncertain future of festivals and gigs in 2021 due to Covid-19

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Just chiming in to agree that the new Ensiferum is so good. Last 3 albums were boring and I had almost written the band off but Thalassic is so much fun, really glad they are back. Now i just need Jari Mäenpää to get off his ass and release something worthwhile.

TheLastCandle

Oct 25, 2017
Harrisburg, PA, USA
The new Ensiferum is excellent. Easily their best in years. The new keyboard player/vocalist really adds to their sound.

The new Finntroll song is fun. I've always been a fan, and I really enjoyed their last one.

The new Unleash the Archers song is great, albeit not as good as the first single. That song was otherworldly good, though.

absolutely epic and triumphant Finnish black metal. Highly recommend.

Checking this out now. Morrigan said it has Moonsorrow vibes so I definitely have to give it a shot.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017

consuming the hell out of these guys lately. Pretty unheralded compared to some the bigger Swedish names of melodic death metal, but excellent stuff nonetheless. First LP has more of a Dissection vibe, second would zone in on more of an At the Gates style of the time. Picking up their Quintessence compilation was probably the best $25 I spent this year.