• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The CMA haven't got a leg to stand on these days, and have no allies. I'm confident the deal gets approved

Hilariously, since they got called out with Microsoft the CMA has let pass through much more questionable acquisitions, with much more broader implications than their crazy pie in the sky theories about Cloud Gaming.

Last edited:

Jqydon

Apr 25, 2023
So, when are going to expect an answer from the CMA? I heard it's by the end of this month. if the CMA approves, MS can close the deal, or are they waiting for China? Or did China approve it already?
China approved it. It's only the UK and Australia still without a decision and it's reported that Australia is waiting for the CMA to make a move. As an Australian really hope they don't try and force some bs Australian rights sale or something but I don't think we have enough political power even if we tried

ZERO-SHIFT

Jul 31, 2023
China approved it. It's only the UK and Australia still without a decision and it's reported that Australia is waiting for the CMA to make a move. As an Australian really hope they don't try and force some bs Australian rights sale or something but I don't think we have enough political power even if we tried
Ah ok. I didn't know China approved it. So, we will have the CMA final update by the end of this month correct?

Nov 8, 2017
How pissed do you reckon MS are that the Crystal Dynamics sale happened whilst this was still tied up?..

I don't think they're very angry; they haven't In-housed any of their prior co dev outsourcing type groups, and they did not strike a publishing deal for the next Tomb Raider or the next Eidos Montreal game after the sale. So I don't see a lot of indication that they would have definitely purchased them otherwise.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I don't think they're very angry; they haven't In-housed any of their prior co dev outsourcing type groups, and they did not strike a publishing deal for the next Tomb Raider or the next Eidos Montreal game after the sale. So I don't see a lot of indication that they would have definitely purchased them otherwise.
I feel like CD / Eidos Montreal / Tomb Raider would have been absolutely perfect for Xbox.

Two AAA studios and a Hall of Fame IP is exactly the kind of stuff MS needs in order to keep the content mill churning in support of Game Pass.

The Dave

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2023
I feel like CD / Eidos Montreal / Tomb Raider would have been absolutely perfect for Xbox.

Two AAA studios and a Hall of Fame IP is exactly the kind of stuff MS needs in order to keep the content mill churning in support of Game Pass.

I still think MS get those studios and IP not long after ABK is done. We know Embracer are in dire straits

Nov 8, 2017

I am not commenting on whether I think it's good/bad or beneficial for MS, just that (as far as we can ever get insight into their strategy) I don't think it was in line with what they typically do.

The documents that came out in this thread about Microsoft's 2021 acquisition strategy were illuminating, imo. In the short list of 17 companies, they did not include any of their outsourcing partners who existed at that time (e.g. Skybox Labs, Certain Affinity). The analogy isn't perfect, because Eidos owns a decent chunk of IP and game licences unlike most, but what's why I was also mentioning that Microsoft didn't do other things they definitely could have, like securing publishing rights on their future games.

The other thing the documents from the ABK court cases do give us is insight into what strategic priorities they had, and I definitely think you can make a case that even if ABK had closed in time for them to pick up Eidos without interfering, that ABK covers off the areas of strategic deficit that they identified in those 2021 documents, which were:

• Lack of strength beyond core games on console (e.g. casual / cross-generational games)
  • Scarcity of relevant PC content
  • lack of mobile-native content

And the following recommendations were made with respect to these gaps:

Sourcing the highest-fidelity, most attractive franchises will continue to be a priority.

The gaps identified suggest the need to complement traditional areas of franchise strength with content aimed at expanding audience and fostering social engagement.

On Consoles and PC:
  • Developers owning and running franchises with strong communities and deep engagement are top candidates (Bungie, IO Interactive)
  • Developers focused on casual, social and cross-generational franchises pave the way for audience expansion (Scopely, Niantic)

On Mobile:
  • Publishers with a strong track record of designing, making and running a diverse slate of titles support both audience expansion and social engagement (Zynga, Playrix)
  • Publishers with strong tech infrastructure to support existing Xbox IP can complement current Xbox's strengths (Scopely, Niantic)

I don't want to say "I definitely think they would never have considered it / thought it was a bad opportunity". You could make a case that compared to many of the the 2021 short list candidates, Eidos/Crystal were a good opportunity. But I do want to say that the strategic rationales they laid out here are thoroughly satisfied by ABK.

MS submits new proposal; CMA opens new review process, deadline is October 18th

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/BradSmi/status/1693866142702653802?t=-VGGhmGYXfp0exEsWvq9fw&s=19

This includes executing an agreement effective at the closing of our merger that transfers the cloud streaming rights for all current and new Activision Blizzard PC and console games released over the next 15 years to Ubisoft Entertainment SA, a leading global game publisher. The rights will be in perpetuity.

Under the restructured transaction, Microsoft will not be in a position either to release Activision Blizzard games exclusively on its own cloud streaming service—Xbox Cloud Gaming – or to exclusively control the licensing terms of Activision Blizzard games for rival services

The agreement provides Ubisoft with a unique opportunity to commercialize the distribution of games via cloud streaming. The agreement will enable Ubisoft to innovate and encourage different business models in the licensing and pricing of these games on cloud streaming services worldwide.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
what???????????? I can't put the source as it's banned here:

The
@CMAgovUK
has just announced that it is now investigating a new #Microsoft-#ActivisionBlizzard relevant merger situation: it involves a divestiture of streaming rights. The new investigation was launched today and the Phase 1 decision has an October 18 deadline.

As I understand an extension will be needed anyway, as October 18th is just the end of pahse 1 and the end of he actual agreement, right?

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

The
@CMAgovUK
has just announced that it is now investigating a new #Microsoft-#ActivisionBlizzard relevant merger situation: it involves a divestiture of streaming rights. The new investigation was launched today and the Phase 1 decision has an October 18 deadline.

As I understand an extension will be needed anyway, as October 18th is just the end of pahse 1 and the end of he actual agreement, right?
Post above yours.

Ombretoile

Banned
Sep 8, 2022

The
@CMAgovUK

CMA never wanted this deal to go through.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Huh, Ive only been loosely following this. Was Ubisoft always in the cards? I guess I wasn't expecting something like this.
No, no one expected it was going to be ubisoft.

However this only includes ABK games current and released over the next 15 years.

UK only.

Edit: It seems the new merger proposal gives up the cloud rights everywhere excelt the European Union, it seems the CMA managed to make it worse for evreyone else, not only the UK, except the European Union.

Last edited:
Response from ABK about the new proposal to the CMA

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
F4HTypGW8AAo_-N

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Wow that seems like pretty massive news that Ubisoft will get to control the streaming rights. I don't see how the CMA can say no to that. I mean I wouldn't rule it out, but surely that solves all their issues?

squinters

Jun 7, 2023
Wow, wasn't expecting Ubisoft. But happy to see some developments. Feel like we'll start to see updates more frequently now

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
i hope the CMA concession MS makes is putting starfield on geforce now so we don't have to use their awful ass barely functional xcloud bullshit to stream it

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That is wild. Never expected Ubisoft to suddenly be part of this whole deal.

Kotick's letter to employees seems rather positive that the deal will go through without further extension.

Curious to see how quickly this develops.

Iggy1404

Feb 12, 2020
So another delay until October 18th?! What in the fuck.... I just want this to end so I can get my COD on gamepass.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
I suppose we can assume that what Microsoft was offering wasn't enough, and that's why they made this last offer. It would seem strange if this divestiture was the one they were discussing, and it was only submitted today, right? Also, I can't see how the end of phase 1 on October 18th aligns with the timeline of the agreement between Microsoft and ABK. This all sounds strange to me.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro