Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
So the NGPC I bought on eBay arrived today:

It's in fantastic condition. I don't have any games, but I hard to replace the watch battery and pop in a couple of AAs. I was able to set the language, date and time etc. The menu music is neat!

Now I just need to get some games and also arrange to get a backlight fitted and perhaps a case mod. Unsure if I should mod the case as a) this current case is in VERY good condition and b) the watch battery cover on the back of this one is a push open system and not one that requires a coin to open. I've seen pictures of the coin open covers that have damage on them. This one wouldn't be affected by that. I wonder if there are replacement cases that have the push open watch battery cover?

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats, looks great! There are a few cheaper games available if you buy them unboxed. Might be worth it just to test it out.

I think that's a slim model - you may need to check compatibility with the LCD screen and any replacement case.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
That looks great! I'm missing a slim model in my collection. I don't know if there are replacement shells for slim model, but there is a specific version of the new larger IPS screen for the slim.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats, looks great! There are a few cheaper games available if you buy them unboxed. Might be worth it just to test it out.

I think that's a slim model - you may need to check compatibility with the LCD screen and any replacement case.
Do you know if the Hispeedido you mentioned on the previous page works with this model? I wanted to get this since you mentioned it's the best one at the moment.

Yes, I definitely have the Slim version. I just read up on it here:

lovewithoutanger.blogspot.com

Neo Geo Pocket Comparison: B&W / Color / 'New' Slim

A blog of reviews, views, news and lists on music / film / games

The one I have has the easy-to-remove CR2032 battery cover, whereas the previous model has the one where you need a coin to open it up.

Also, do you happen to know if there are case replacements widely available for this slim model? I think all of the cases I've seen are for the previous model.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I received a RetroHQ Game drive in the post today. Only had a quick play around, but it was super easy to set up and everything works great so far. Indistinguishable from the real thing.

Flashing takes a couple of minutes for most games, but after that they start almost immediately. You can fit about 5-10 games in the flash memory.

But one of the biggest selling points for me is being able to play hacked games. Or to be more precise: Card Fighters Clash 2 in English!

Do you know if the Hispeedido you mentioned on the previous page works with this model? I wanted to get this since you mentioned it's the best one at the moment.

Yes, I definitely have the Slim version. I just read up on it here:

lovewithoutanger.blogspot.com

Neo Geo Pocket Comparison: B&W / Color / 'New' Slim

A blog of reviews, views, news and lists on music / film / games

The one I have has the easy-to-remove CR2032 battery cover, whereas the previous model has the one where you need a coin to open it up.

Also, do you happen to know if there are case replacements widely available for this slim model? I think all of the cases I've seen are for the previous model.

Thanks.
The screen I linked is for the fat NGPC, I don't think it will fit the slim. They say on the same product listing that a slim version is coming next month, but I can't find it in their shop page yet.

As for a replacement case, I've never seen one for the slim either. Personally I'd probably consider modding it rather than waiting for someone to produce one.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I received a RetroHQ Game drive in the post today. Only had a quick play around, but it was super easy to set up and everything works great so far. Indistinguishable from the real thing.

Flashing takes a couple of minutes for most games, but after that they start almost immediately. You can fit about 5-10 games in the flash memory.

But one of the biggest selling points for me is being able to play hacked games. Or to be more precise: Card Fighters Clash 2 in English!

The screen I linked is for the fat NGPC, I don't think it will fit the slim. They say on the same product listing that a slim version is coming next month, but I can't find it in their shop page yet.

As for a replacement case, I've never seen one for the slim either. Personally I'd probably consider modding it rather than waiting for someone to produce one.
Is the Retro HQ GameDrive drag-and-drop for games? Also, I'm hoping it isn't one of those that only works on Windows?

I've sent a note to the person I found on eBay that provides a modding service. Hopefully they can install a backlight in the slim model too. I don't mind keeping the current case, I'm just not keen on getting it cut (if it needs it), which could cause damage to a case that's already in mint condition.

I bought a couple of games on eBay yesterday: Capcom vs. SNK Match of the Millennium and a Fatal Fury game. The former was rather expensive but is in mint condition and I really wanted it!

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Is the Retro HQ GameDrive drag-and-drop for games? Also, I'm hoping it isn't one of those that only works on Windows?

I've sent a note to the person I found on eBay that provides a modding service. Hopefully they can install a backlight in the slim model too. I don't mind keeping the current case, I'm just not keen on getting it cut (if it needs it), which could cause damage to a case that's already in mint condition.

I bought a couple of games on eBay yesterday: Capcom vs. SNK Match of the Millennium and a Fatal Fury game. The former was rather expensive but is in mint condition and I really wanted it!

MotM is one of the best games on the system, nice get!

Fatal Fury is... okay. It's not a bad game, but probably one of the weaker fighters on the NGPC. Which I guess some of them have to be considering the number of them ha ha.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah it's just drag and drop to a FAT32 micro SD card, so I'm pretty sure it is OS agnostic.

MOTM is one of the best games on the system, can't go wrong there. There's not a 'bad' fighter on the system to be honest.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
MotM is one of the best games on the system, nice get!

Fatal Fury is... okay. It's not a bad game, but probably one of the weaker fighters on the NGPC. Which I guess some of them have to be considering the number of them ha ha.
Yeah it's just drag and drop to a FAT32 micro SD card, so I'm pretty sure it is OS agnostic.

MOTM is one of the best games on the system, can't go wrong there. There's not a 'bad' fighter on the system to be honest.
Thanks guys, looking forward to MOTM. Also, Fatal Fury was thankfully relatively cheap!

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
MOTM is excellent. Is what my mind imagined when SNK vs Capcom was anounced. Lot's of characters and options.

Fatal Fury is good, too, tough a bit bare bones. I don't think there is actually a "bad" fighting game on the console, tough I have not played them all.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

So the eBay guy that I'm hoping to use for the mod has also confirmed that the Hispeed screen won't fit the slim either. Hopefully that slim-compatible one comes out soon. I think I may try to hunt down the original NGPC model and get one modded.

If you do hear of the slim backlight kit being released, please @me in this thread. Thanks.

EDIT: Is the Hispeed backlight a full-screen mod, not one of those that makes the screen smaller?

Mar 31, 2018
Well after playing some MOTM on switch lite and being super frustrated with the Dpad and terrible analogue sticks I just went ahead and ordered a NGPC...I owned one many years ago but I don't really remember how good the clicky thumb stick was since it was ages and ages ago...needless to say I'm super excited and can't wait to finally get another one!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Well after playing some MOTM on switch lite and being super frustrated with the Dpad and terrible analogue sticks I just went ahead and ordered a NGPC...I owned one many years ago but I don't really remember how good the clicky thumb stick was since it was ages and ages ago...needless to say I'm super excited and can't wait to finally get another one!
I'm surprised at the D-pad being poor. I'm fine with the SF games on Switch with the Lite's D-pad, so I just assumed it'd be okay for MOTM.

What's the consensus on Sonic Pocket Adventure, guys? Is it any good on NGPC?

Mar 31, 2018
I'm surprised at the D-pad being poor. I'm fine with the SF games on Switch with the Lite's D-pad, so I just assumed it'd be okay for MOTM.

I just find the switch lite dpad too stiff and too flush with the switch lite body. It's mostly useable I guess just not ideal for fighting games for me.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Sonic is pretty good considering what was out at the time, in terms of Sonic games on handhelds. The stick can make it a bit tricky to control at times but since it's pretty cheap, I'd recommend it.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Prices have shot up recently...as is the case with a lot of retro stuff post COVID. The new IPS screens have probably generated some interest too.

Sonic is pretty good considering what was out at the time, in terms of Sonic games on handhelds. The stick can make it a bit tricky to control at times but since it's pretty cheap, I'd recommend it.
Pac-man came with a little plastic ring gate thing that restricted the stick to four directions. It was pretty much unplayable without it. I can't remember if that helps with Sonic or not, but I do remember enjoying it.

If anyone has trouble finding the ring, you can 3D print one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2630305

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished an IPS install, can't believe how crisp these games look.
DFMRXy5.jpg
KnjiAEE.jpg

How are the glass lenses provided with the kit btw? Retrosix forgot to include one with mine... so picked up a spare lens from Zedlabz which was pretty dirty until cleaning. >.>

Oh, and a tip for anyone doing the install without solder skills/equipment, the cables connecting the PCB to the speaker are rather fragile and may break off!

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Never hurts to find someone who allows you to make offers and try to work them down a bit.

I just checked and I grabbed Sonic this past summer for <$20 USD for a loose cart.
Good tip. I'm gonna keep an eye on US eBay too, as a contact can get it for me and then ship to England.
Prices have shot up recently...as is the case with a lot of retro stuff post COVID. The new IPS screens have probably generated some interest too.

Pac-man came with a little plastic ring gate thing that restricted the stick to four directions. It was pretty much unplayable without it. I can't remember if that helps with Sonic or not, but I do remember enjoying it.

If anyone has trouble finding the ring, you can 3D print one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2630305
Thanks for this, bookmarked this post in case I need it at some point!
Just finished an IPS install, can't believe how crisp these games look.

How are the glass lenses provided with the kit btw? Retrosix forgot to include one with mine... so picked up a spare lens from Zedlabz which was pretty dirty until cleaning. >.>

Oh, and a tip for anyone doing the install without solder skills/equipment, the cables connecting the PCB to the speaker are rather fragile and may break off!
Wow, great job. This looks fantastic.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommendations for when I can buy some black buttons and a clicky stick. By buttons I mean all the buttons, like the option asnd power buttons too. The person who'll be doing the install for me has a clear case but the buttons are clear...I'd prefer black ones.

Fab

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like a cluster of stick pixels is present on the edge of my IPS screen, didn't pick up on it until viewing from another angle.

If anyone has a source for just a screen replacement, it'd be appreciated, I always like to have spares.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Those screens looks great, shame about the stuck pixels :(

Couple of videos that might be useful for anyone attempting the screen install themselves:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
So today my second NGPC arrived, the one that can actually have the backlight installed. I've already sent it out to have the modification done. I also got a couple of games with NGPC, it was a pretty good deal:

Sonic is the US version, which is why it came in a cardboard box. The box is a bit squashed, but the cart and instructions are all in very good condition. Kinf og Fighters is the PAL game, came in a plastic case.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Finally got everything together:

7tE9tGc.jpg

Ue0A8pM.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result. Maybe I'd go with different buttons in hindsight, but I'm not taking it apart again now!

There's also a little bit of light bleed around the screen which is unavoidable due to the transparent case without further modifications, but it doesn't really bother me.

The only other downside is that obviously the battery life is reduced significantly, but also the power draw is such that the screen simply won't turn on if the batteries are too low, or not powerful enough. My Amazon rechargeables barely work with this thing! If it happens, don't panic and try new batteries.

Otherwise, the screen is pretty amazing, really. Games look so crisp and clear now. I don't normally go for fake scan lines, but honestly they look great on this. It darkens the image slightly, but it was already plenty bright enough (this is the second lowest setting). Here's a close-up comparison:
KKLkVWG.jpg
hFHzbkE.jpg

In terms of the installation, I didn't bother soldering the wires required for the OSD. The trickiest part was getting the screen centered, but once that's done you have all the functionality you need via the touch sensors (which are very fiddly/fragile themselves, mind).

I also wired in a new speaker which I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HR5SMMY). They're a perfect fit incase anyone's original speaker breaks.

Overall I'd say it's well worth getting the mod done, if you do it yourself or get someone else to do it for you.

Mine comes tomorrow after a 20 year hiatus without one.

Where is the best place to buy the screen mod now?
Nice! Hope you enjoy it.

The source of the screens is this seller on AliExpress: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002181010707.html

You may be able to find a local seller, but they're probably importing them from there.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Vinegar Joe, that looks awesome. I actually like the look of the neon green buttons and stick contrasted with the transparent black. I didn't know about the scan line stuff, so look forward to trying it out when I get my system back with the mod installed. Will share pictures!

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
My NGPC stuff is probably my favorite collection of gaming items. I have most major games complete with box, the official carrying case, 4 consoles (a sealed Stone Blue, a clear yellow, clear blue, and the cloudy clear one) and a few random accessories.

How do you guys post personal pictures? Do you have to upload them to another site first, or is there a way to post directly from your phone?

Last edited:

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Finally got everything together:

7tE9tGc.jpg

Ue0A8pM.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the result. Maybe I'd go with different buttons in hindsight, but I'm not taking it apart again now!

There's also a little bit of light bleed around the screen which is unavoidable due to the transparent case without further modifications, but it doesn't really bother me.

The only other downside is that obviously the battery life is reduced significantly, but also the power draw is such that the screen simply won't turn on if the batteries are too low, or not powerful enough. My Amazon rechargeables barely work with this thing! If it happens, don't panic and try new batteries.

Otherwise, the screen is pretty amazing, really. Games look so crisp and clear now. I don't normally go for fake scan lines, but honestly they look great on this. It darkens the image slightly, but it was already plenty bright enough (this is the second lowest setting). Here's a close-up comparison:
KKLkVWG.jpg
hFHzbkE.jpg

In terms of the installation, I didn't bother soldering the wires required for the OSD. The trickiest part was getting the screen centered, but once that's done you have all the functionality you need via the touch sensors (which are very fiddly/fragile themselves, mind).

I also wired in a new speaker which I got from Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HR5SMMY). They're a perfect fit incase anyone's original speaker breaks.

Overall I'd say it's well worth getting the mod done, if you do it yourself or get someone else to do it for you.

Nice! Hope you enjoy it.

The source of the screens is this seller on AliExpress: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005002181010707.html

You may be able to find a local seller, but they're probably importing them from there.

That looks great! My screen arrives today. Will start recharing those batteries just in case. Thanks for the tips!

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks Pancakes R Us modoversus ! Please do share pics when you get yours :)

My NGPC stuff is probably my favorite collection of gaming items. I have most major games complete with box, the official carrying case, 4 consoles (a sealed Stone Blue, a clear yellow, clear blue, and the cloudy clear one) and a few random accessories.

How do you guys post personal pictures? Do you have to upload them to another site first, or is there a way to post directly from your phone?
That sounds like quite the collection! I'd love to see it.

I use Imgur for image hosting. Annoyingly you have to use desktop mode on mobile because they want you to download the app, but no chance I'm doing that.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020

I use Imgur for image hosting. Annoyingly you have to use desktop mode on mobile because they want you to download the app, but no chance I'm doing that.
Thanks, I'll check that out. It may take a few days but I'll try to dig my stuff out for some pics. It's buried in my closet but I've been meaning to take a look at everything.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

I meant to ask, what power are your rechargeable batteries? You mentioned that they're running out quickly. I was planning to use Eneloops on this. I have the batteries, just need to buy a charger.

Also, I forgot if you said: is that black transparent case an official one or an aftermarket one? It looks lovely.

Nov 28, 2020
I forgot just how bad the screen is on this thing, wow.

Also, do any of you have a neopocket? How do I set up the sd card? I bought mine second hand.

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I meant to ask, what power are your rechargeable batteries? You mentioned that they're running out quickly. I was planning to use Eneloops on this. I have the batteries, just need to buy a charger.

Also, I forgot if you said: is that black transparent case an official one or an aftermarket one? It looks lovely.
I was using Amazon Basics 2400mAh rechargeables. Although I'm not sure how much power was left in them so they're recharging at the moment. A pair of fairly cheap Panasonic everyday seem to be doing fine. I guess the point I was making is that the screen won't power on at all if it hasn't got enough power, but the audio etc works fine which can be disconcerting.
I forgot just how bad the screen is on this thing, wow.

Also, do any of you have a neopocket? How do I set up the sd card? I bought mine second hand.
Do you mean a Game Drive? I got one recently and it was really easy - just format it to FAT32 and pop the unzipped ngp files in the root directory. You can add a directory structure if you like, but that's all you need to do.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I was using Amazon Basics 2400mAh rechargeables. Although I'm not sure how much power was left in them so they're recharging at the moment. A pair of fairly cheap Panasonic everyday seem to be doing fine. I guess the point I was making is that the screen won't power on at all if it hasn't got enough power, but the audio etc works fine which can be disconcerting.
Got it, thanks. The Eneloops should hopefully be okay.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I give up. I simply have not been able to align the screen properly for hours at this point. And I ended up ripping off acidentally one of the cables to the touchpad, so I guess this solderless mod will now have to be with a solder to fix that.

Edit: Besides that, the screen is amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017

Just recharged all my Amazon basics AAs and they're working fine, thankfully! Must have just been low on power.

The case was an aftermarket one. I've seen them in three colours; white, clear and clear black. They come with the shell, buttons, glass screen and stickers for the back. This is the one I bought...sold out at the moment but I'm pretty sure it's identical to the ones they sell in China so you may be able to get it elsewhere.
I give up. I simply have not been able to align the screen properly for hours at this point. And I ended up ripping off acidentally one of the cables to the touchpad, so I guess this solderless mod will now have to be with a solder to fix that.

Edit: Besides that, the screen is amazing.
Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get it sorted.

Yeah it was a PITA to get the screen aligned. There's no straight edges you can use as a guide if you're going solderless.

The touchpad wires are the main reason I don't ever want to open it up again. They feel like they will disintegrate under a slight breeze. And I'm not confident enough with soldering to deal with such tiny wires/pads.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Just recharged all my Amazon basics AAs and they're working fine, thankfully! Must have just been low on power.

The case was an aftermarket one. I've seen them in three colours; white, clear and clear black. They come with the shell, buttons, glass screen and stickers for the back. This is the one I bought...sold out at the moment but I'm pretty sure it's identical to the ones they sell in China so you may be able to get it elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get it sorted.

Yeah it was a PITA to get the screen aligned. There's no straight edges you can use as a guide if you're going solderless.

The touchpad wires are the main reason I don't ever want to open it up again. They feel like they will disintegrate under a slight breeze. And I'm not confident enough with soldering to deal with such tiny wires/pads.

I ordered my kit yesterday from eBay and a shell similar to this from Retro Modding cuz they had them pretty cheap. I might look at picking up a flashcart soon if I have enough spare cash. Will post here when I get it modded. Blaming this thread for getting me to finally bite :P Kind of a funny coincidence SNK released that NGPC collection for Switch the literal day after I order a screen

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México

managed to align the screen better. Will still need to solider to control the rest of the screen and remove the battery indicator, which remained stuck when the really delicate touch pad broke, but it can be fixed.

Really happy with the screen. Can't imagine going back to the regular screen.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks. I'm not planning to get any more cases at the moment though, my NGPC has already been modded, the guy that did it for me will put it in the post tomorrow so I'll hopefully receive it by the weekend. My system will keep the original case because it's in really good condition. Will share pictures whern I get it.
I ordered my kit yesterday from eBay and a shell similar to this from Retro Modding cuz they had them pretty cheap. I might look at picking up a flashcart soon if I have enough spare cash. Will post here when I get it modded. Blaming this thread for getting me to finally bite :P Kind of a funny coincidence SNK released that NGPC collection for Switch the literal day after I order a screen
I totally blame this thread too. In fact in the past few weeks this thread has resulted in my buying to NGPCs. Firstly, the slim...but that's currently not compatible with a backlight mod. So then I bought the first NGPC. I've also bought four games: MoTM, a Fatal Fury game, King of Fighters and Sonic.

managed to align the screen better. Will still need to solider to control the rest of the screen and remove the battery indicator, which remained stuck when the really delicate touch pad broke, but it can be fixed.

Well done for getting through the mod. It looks great! I'm too much of a wimp to try it out myself, but based on your post I'm glad I sent it to someone that has experience in doing it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all making me jealous as hell, hahaha!

I looked up to get one last year but the prices of the best games on the system went up quite a bit. It kinda turned me off to start a collection from scratch.

I'm very tempted to hunt down a system...there's also the Analogue Pocket which should have an adapter for those IIRC.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have an excellent condition NGPC that works great - but I NEED this screen mod.

Is there somewhere I can send it to to do the work for me? Or anyone here wanna do a commission?

OP
OP
Vinegar Joe

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
There's been a lot of NGPC related things happening recently (the screen mods, the Switch collection and the Analogue Pocket). Long overdue attention for a fantastic little handheld IMO.

Let us know how the mod goes! I'll update the OP and add a gallery at some point soon.

That looks great! Love the clear case too. Now I want another one so it can sit alongside the clear black one.
Y'all making me jealous as hell, hahaha!

I looked up to get one last year but the prices of the best games on the system went up quite a bit. It kinda turned me off to start a collection from scratch.

I'm very tempted to hunt down a system...there's also the Analogue Pocket which should have an adapter for those IIRC.
Yeah the game prices are daft right now. I've given up; I picked up a Game Drive at the same time as the screen mod which works great. They cost about £90, but you can store the entire NGPC catalogue on an SD card and copy 15Mb worth of games to flash memory. That doesn't sound like a lot but I managed to fit these in:

Evolution
Card Fighters Clash 2
Biomotor Unitron
Cool Boarders
Crush Roller
Delta Warp
Pocket Reversi
Rockman Battle & Fighters
Ganbare Neo Poke Kun
Picture Puzzle
Cotton

It takes a while to flash them but they load really quickly after that.

Plus it's one of the only ways to play CFC2 in English, so that justifies the cost alone for me.