• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
The thing is, it's true that many people just repeat what they hear on the media as a way to sound informed and with cause. It's a real thing that can be applied to both sides but leftists unfortunately are getting the brunt of the NPC labeling.

If anything, we should see it as a reason to speak openly about the issues and be willing to educate ourselves. Be open to what other people have to say, and offer back an opinion that's nuanced and wholly your own.

My brother is in the lower left region of the compass just like most of this board, but he's VERY open-minded about the trump Presidency and is very vocal about issues such as censorship and the non-productivity of echo chambers. If he sees people spewing copy/paste talking points he generally latches right onto NPC meme and plays it out as much as he sees fit. It's kind of annoying but I actually agree with him in some cases.

Don't get angry at this sort of labeling. Just try not to fall into it. Put your true self out there and don't merely reiterate what others have to say.

Jktpnymonorel

Banned
Jan 19, 2018
well at least this evens the playing field for the Russian bots

edit : do they expect people to understand meme with legit programming language inside... lol

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a severe lack of imagination going on in this thread. There are already well defined religious basis for this phenomena, both from the concept of reincarnation and the concept of a soul well. The idea being that at some point soul-less people will start being born, and that in practice, these people are lesser than you are. These dudes have come up with a way of "identifying" these soul-less people through their speech. We have already seen that they are willing to get violent, willing to tamper with elections, willing to go on marches in public and murder people on the street. If a subset of these people latch onto this idea, then it becomes terrifying. For now, its all a big joke, but the possibility of it is indeed scary.

These people already think this. This isn't a new idea or tactic for them, its just lamer than usual. Its a repackaging of the same old shit in what I consider an incredibly lazy attempt to do so.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NPC-37-kavanaugh-protests-antifa.jpg

Uh oh, watch out everybody. This 1337 hacker knows System.out.println().

I like how their code wouldn't even compile either, because Java is case sensitive. That's like a perfect metaphor for the alt-right.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of their dumbest 'memes' yet and the irony is you could so easily turn this meme around and apply it to most Alt-Right people who just go around parroting any viewpoint they hear from their movement's leaders even when they're quite often nonsensical or contradictory.

You could call the 'Alt-Right Chicken' a proto-form of this idea.

13Rn3Lk.jpg

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
There is a severe lack of imagination going on in this thread. There are already well defined religious basis for this phenomena, both from the concept of reincarnation and the concept of a soul well. The idea being that at some point soul-less people will start being born, and that in practice, these people are lesser than you are. These dudes have come up with a way of "identifying" these soul-less people through their speech. We have already seen that they are willing to get violent, willing to tamper with elections, willing to go on marches in public and murder people on the street. If a subset of these people latch onto this idea, then it becomes terrifying. For now, its all a big joke, but the possibility of it is indeed scary.

I think this should be a concern regardless of this stupid "meme".

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Yet more 4chan dumbshittery, but as a non-US citizen, both conservatives and liberals seem to be constantly dehumanising each other. It's a mess.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
When you paint your opponents as not even human but just "NPC"s it makes them not see violence as a disregard for human life. So memes like this can lead to more acts of violence. Think of things like Dylan Roof and how he was driven to his mass murder by online hate groups.

I see.

I thought we had previously established that's how alt-right trolls instantly defined someone who didn't agree with them. That's why it's impossible to reason with these people.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
never heard of this term (used in this fashion) and I will not entertaining these internet fads of coining stupid memeish terms that are completely inapplicable in the real world

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, it's true that many people just repeat what they hear on the media as a way to sound informed and with cause. It's a real thing that can be applied to both sides but leftists unfortunately are getting the brunt of the NPC labeling.

If anything, we should see it as a reason to speak openly about the issues and be willing to educate ourselves. Be open to what other people have to say, and offer back an opinion that's nuanced and wholly your own.

My brother is in the lower left region of the compass just like most of this board, but he's VERY open-minded about the trump Presidency and is very vocal about issues such as censorship and the non-productivity of echo chambers. If he sees people spewing copy/paste talking points he generally latches right onto NPC meme and plays it out as much as he sees fit. It's kind of annoying but I actually agree with him in some cases.

Don't get angry at this sort of labeling. Just try not to fall into it. Put your true self out there and don't merely reiterate what others have to say.

So when your brother hears people saying talking points they've heard before, he tries to get them to think for themselves by shouting an Internet meme at them?

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It takes a special kind of brain-dead stupid to use memes as a device to critique "drones" and a "lack of original thought."

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Lol anyone that's getting annoyed by this needs to get out of the internet world for a while.
The purpose is to annoy and dehumanize, it's by design, you can't blame people for the end result. The people who make and distribute the content are the problem, not the targets of it. Yes, people should be very concerned that dehumanization is happening from the side that wants people to have guns and believes Hillary Clinton sacrificed children to Moloch in the basement of a pizza parlor, and the leader of their movement constantly dogwhistles for violence against opponents and the press.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not too effective when this is the first time I've ever heard of it. Doesn't amount to anything other than their usual sorry ass "I know you are, but what am I?" trash. Terrifying? Please.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
This is a painfully uncreative way of portraying the "I'm woke and everyone else is sheeple" idea that's buried in the psyche of probably every single person on earth.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this should be a concern regardless of this stupid "meme".

Yeah exactly. This "meme" might not lead anywhere, but it gives us an insight into what the leaders of the alt-right are trying to do moving forwards. This might be their lamest attempt at getting a dehumanizing movement started, it will get more sophisticated moving forwards.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe a shitty meme picture about a guy with a blank face shouting talking points is being treated like some nazi conspiracy to the point where legitimate news organizations are paying people to talk about it.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
I'd suggest that labelling anyone right of centre on the political spectrum a literal Nazi is a touch more "terrifying".

This is fucking nothing.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP you're reacting exactly how they want you to react btw.

I dont know why such a shitty (WOW WOJACK EDIT SO ORIGINAL) meme is getting media attention but they love that it is.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's "terrifying" because it's dehumanizing.

And dehumanization is a precursor to justifying violence and other worse things.

Look at what's happening with child seperation.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I can't believe a shitty meme picture about a guy with a blank face shouting talking points is being treated like some nazi conspiracy to the point where legitimate news organizations are paying people to talk about it.
it's more about twitter mass banning users who are going around trolling with these avatars

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, getting out ahead of it and discussing it's impacts are useful?

Honestly, thank you for keeping the good fight going OP. I know many will look at what is going on right now and mock it without any introspection or projection. I am happy that others are actually following these trends and trying to get ahead of them instead of merely reacting.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I suppose it's "terrifying" because it's dehumanizing.

And dehumanization is a precursor to justifying violence and other worse things.

Look at what's happening with child seperation.

The alt-right already dehumanized, they were already violent. This meme doesn't change anything in that regard.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Theres nothing terrifying about that come on now. Calling it that just proves their points. It's a stupid meme who cares

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
These people already think this. This isn't a new idea or tactic for them, its just lamer than usual. Its a repackaging of the same old shit in what I consider an incredibly lazy attempt to do so.

This. It actually comes off less terrifying to me because it's just a worse marketed version of the things they already believed.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Ah so that explains the post I saw on /r/ProgrammerHumor :/