ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've never played these games. Are they easy to get into or are there a lot of systems to learn?

Do you like action rpgs and hard games? Dodging, countering, and stance changing are all important mechanics in combat so if you aren't used to fast paced gameplay it's going to be a struggle until you get used to it.

Abylim

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 29, 2017
What trophies pop with Nioh 1? Is there a save transfer? I got the plat on Nioh 2 ps5 this morning

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Do you like action rpgs and hard games? Dodging, countering, and stance changing are all important mechanics in combat so if you aren't used to fast paced gameplay it's going to be a struggle until you get used to it.

I've beaten all 4 Souls games. I'm more referring to labyrinthine upgrade systems or combos to learn.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I've never played these games. Are they easy to get into or are there a lot of systems to learn?

there's a lot of systems to learn. The only reason a lot of us novices even tried this was because it's kind of a spiritual successor to ninja Gaiden.

even as someone who loves this game, I loath the MMO style garbage, like "loot", and all the item grinding. You end up spending a big chunk of time looking at menus to sell all the garbage loot they give you.

other than that, the combat is 10/10, runs smooth and is tons of fun.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

So why are they charging $50 for this? Seems like they didn't really do much.

The standard PS4 version still has a MSRP of $40, so for ten dollars more you get the DLC and the PS5 version. Just think of it like how DVD/BD movies would get re-released with a different box art so stores carry it closer to MSRP. The ten dollar sales were probably an attempt to clear out any stock of the old so they don't have two versions being sold with a large price gap.
EDIT: Well, guess I mistook that video for Nioh 2 and not the original, same idea kind of applies though.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Not sure if I want to focus on Kusarigamas again or the new convertible sythe. The former made me feel like a god towards the end of the first game when I had the timing down

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
If you have the base Nioh 2 game on PlayStation 4, you're entitled to a free upgrade to the base Nioh 2 Remastered game on PlayStation 5.
If you have pieces of the Nioh 2 DLC trilogy on PlayStation 4, you're entitled to free upgrades for those pieces of DLC on PlayStation 5.
If you buy Nioh 2 Complete Edition on PlayStation 4, you also get Nioh 2 Remastered Complete Edition on PlayStation 5.

There is no upgrade path at all for the first Nioh game.

You can transfer your save by uploading it from the options menu of the PlayStation 4 game, and then downloading it from the options menu of the PlayStation 5 game.

quoting this for visibility. Excellent post.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I've beaten all 4 Souls games. I'm more referring to labyrinthine upgrade systems or combos to learn.

If you enjoyed all the Souls games I can't see you having any issues with what Nioh will throw at you. Nothing overly complicated about it's skill trees and upgrade systems if you're familiar with Arpgs. Every weapon has its own skill tree and combos/abilities so just pick whatever you gravitate towards. You can main two weapons and each one benefits from specific stats just like souls. You can respec your stats and skills using items so it's forgiving to experimentation.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Harder at the beginning but eventually become way easier imo
The beginning part is basically a really difficult tutorial. Check some YouTube videos before attempting it for some tips.

once you level up and more importantly get better gear, which comes from loot drops, you'll be fine. The bosses are unfair/cheat sometimes but you can always call in a co-op buddy or even a random to help.
Even though they borrowed a ton of the meta mechanics from From's works, the moment to moment could arguably be better compared to Ninja Gaiden in the degree of twitch gameplay asked of the player. Until the loot mechanics let you outgear it at least. If you want a From comparison t's best to think of it closer to BB, but that's still not a perfect comparison.

thanks guys, I think I'm gonna make the jump once I wrap up my bloodborne platinum! From what I hear some people prefer Nioh to souls, so I'm excited to see what's up

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Not sure if I want to focus on Kusarigamas again or the new convertible sythe. The former made me feel like a god towards the end of the first game when I had the timing down

I used the Kusariagama for the entirety of both Nioh games and I promised myself I would not use it again on my Nioh 2 PC playthrough. I really do love the moveset and versatility of the Kusarigama but it is time to move on (for now)...

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
looks like the ps5 upgrade went up right on the hour. i had the season pass, and i'm seeing all 3 dlc costing 1 cent each lmao. not complaining--i've just never seen this before.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I inserted my disc and it spun up for a second but then the PS5 must have stopped the installation automatically after detecting it was the PS4 game. I didn't attempt to start the game to see what would happen but I did find the game on the store and selected the free upgrade option from the Nioh 2 Remastered page options button.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
I inserted my disc and it spun up for a second but then the PS5 must have stopped the installation automatically after detecting it was the PS4 game. I didn't attempt to start the game to see what would happen but I did find the game on the store and selected the free upgrade option from the Nioh 2 Remastered page options button.
Pretty sure the recent OS update made it so you have to actively press "copy" to install PS4 games. Had to do it with God of War too.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
looks like the ps5 upgrade went up right on the hour. i had the season pass, and i'm seeing all 3 dlc costing 1 cent each lmao. not complaining--i've just never seen this before.

That's weird because I had a 35 cent charge for the game upgrade itself (that was discounted to free during the purchase process) but all the DLC just showed as free the whole way through.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
What's the difference between 4k and ps5 standard mode?
The game will feature a 4K Mode, which will make the game run at 60 FPS, 2160p resolution, a 120 FPS mode, which will make the game run at 1080 resolution, and a PlayStation 5 standard mode. This final mode will keep the resolution down to 1080p but it will feature improvements to shadows, better screen space reflections quality, and higher model detail. In this mode, the game will run at 60 FPS. Source

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why you have to pay full price for Nioh 1 remastered even if you bought it on ps4 yet it's a free upgrade for Nioh 2?
That's just bizarre

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I don't understand why you have to pay full price for Nioh 1 remastered even if you bought it on ps4 yet it's a free upgrade for Nioh 2?
That's just bizarre
I agree it's really weird.
I understand making these upgrades isn't free, and companies are probably hedging their bets as to how much their costumers are willing to pay for such upgrades but come on.

You get convoluted stuff like "Spidey-remaster, only as a MM extra", "Nioh 2 free, Nioh 1 paid", "Control upgrade only with Ultimate Editi-PSYCHE", "$40 for 60fps Judgment" facing off with free upgrades for games like Hitman 3, as well as several other promised free improvements.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Nioh 1 came out in 2017. Nioh 2 came out in 2020
Not to mention Nioh was free on PS+ at one point and has been $10 many, many times on the store.

I mean I get why it seems weird, but the cutoff for a lot of games seeming to be anything within the last year seems... reasonable? Given price drops and deals. Relatively good to great overhauls for something like Judgement seem good, too. Control not upgrading even for DLC owners was absolutely weird, though, and can easily be argued as a greedy 505 move.

Companies offering free upgrades for older games because they can should be looked at as the exception, not the norm, and you should laud those instead of using them as an excuse to decry the ones who don't do it for a lot of different reasons that we aren't aware of (rather than just projecting "they're greedy!" on them, except in 505's case).

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, thinking about all those posters asking if the game is difficult.

Load into some side mission on the second territory(I think) straight from the main menu after not having played it since they announced the date for PS5 version, getting absolutely walloped by these guards around a tree.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
If I buy a vanilla copy of Nioh 2 for PS4 does that get me the full complete edition for PS5 or do I have to buy the PS4 dlc separately too?