pronk

Oct 26, 2017
How big is the install for this on PS5? On the PSN store it says 140GB minimum lol. Can you at least install just one of the Nioh games at a time?

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I've beaten all 4 Souls games. I'm more referring to labyrinthine upgrade systems or combos to learn.

You can get by without heavily learning either. The biggest difference is there are stances in Nioh. I for instance play Souls game as a heavy so mainly stay in high stance in Nioh.

Once you get a grasps of stances, is when to start looking at other stuff. Switching from high stance to low stance to high stance will get a lot of stamina back. Most of the items make sense for perks (just Google if you are unsure of any term).

After all that if you want to get real crazy is when you start getting into playing sections again for items, re-rolling stats at the blacksmith...etc.

Take your time and learn it slowly. Just figuring out the combat is most of the battle, the rest just optimizes you and makes you unstoppable

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Started a fresh save to reacclimate. Got reminded on how easy it is to make a nice looking character who could pass for a dev-crafted NPC (just loaded my original character though).

It's hard going back to a level 1 character though, pretty much no Ki and super slow recovery. It is nice to see that I'm not as rusty on the ONI just-guard-ish move as I thought I would be. Undecided if I'm gonna keep this save or go back to my character who's twenty hours in.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I've never played either of the Nioh games, but am maybe interested in picking them up for PS5. Should I definitely get both or would I be OK with just Nioh 2? Also, I've never really played any of the Souls games either, so these types of games (difficult, deliberate combat) are pretty much "new" to me.

Mesharey

Dec 7, 2017
Kuwait
I've never played either of the Nioh games, but am maybe interested in picking them up for PS5. Should I definitely get both or would I be OK with just Nioh 2? Also, I've never really played any of the Souls games either, so these types of games (difficult, deliberate combat) are pretty much "new" to me.
IMO, just get Nioh 2 on PS4 for a cheap price to get the free upgrade, and try it, beginning of the game is hard though but it gets waaay easier once you get better gear/abilities/magic/ninjitsu and get used to the game.

Sorry for the double post, on mobile and it's hard to edit sometimes.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
I would start with Nioh 2 then pick up the first one if you like it. Nioh 2 will take probably take around 50 hours to play through without the DLC.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017

Echoing what others have said... Get Nioh 2 on PS4 for < $20, do the upgrade, and see if you like it.

If you're really having trouble, summon help to co-op the game and get better gear.

Farming revenants for better gear can be huge early on too.

The games are hard, for sure, especially if you don't do any of that, but there are ways to put training wheels on.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
If you got a PS5 with a disc drive, you can get Nioh 2 PS4 on amazon for twenty dollars. Buying the season pass afterwards if you like it will still be cheaper than NIoh 2 complete.

You can skip the first game.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
IMO, just get Nioh 2 on PS4 for a cheap price to get the free upgrade, and try it, beginning of the game is hard though but it gets waaay easier once you get better gear/abilities/magic/ninjitsu and get used to the game.

Sorry for the double post, on mobile and it's hard to edit sometimes.
I would start with Nioh 2 then pick up the first one if you like it. Nioh 2 will take probably take around 50 hours to play through without the DLC.

Ok, thanks! 50 hours is not what I was expecting at all. That's quite an investment!

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I read somewhere if we owned Nioh 1 complete edition there was a free upgrade to PS5, looks like it wants to charge me for that version. I see the Nioh 2 upgrade for PS5, did I mis read that or is something up?

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
You misread. No Nioh 1 free upgrade.

Standalone cost is $50...

Ah that sucks, oh well. I can get the nioh 2 one for free, I haven't played either of these so was waiting for higher framerate and faster loads. I'll just play my digital nioh 4 version then. Got the Nioh 2 disc back when it was 10$, so that's cool then, get that free

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What's the recommended mode for PS5?

I'm curious to try 120fps (I've never played a game at 120 fps before lol) but if it's not stable or kind of spotty, I'm fine staying at 60 with nice graphics, but then I don't know which of the two 60fps mode would be better lol...

KaitoCam

Dec 29, 2018
What's the recommended mode for PS5?

I'm curious to try 120fps (I've never played a game at 120 fps before lol) but if it's not stable or kind of spotty, I'm fine staying at 60 with nice graphics, but then I don't know which of the two 60fps mode would be better lol...
I've got the same question

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
LG CX here, and I found the 120 fps mode to be noticeably not consistent... PS5 doesn't support VRR, so I think it's not just my mind telling me that, though I could discern the uptick in smoothness vs. 60 overall. Still, sometimes just in panning the camera or something I noticed a subtle juddering.

If you have a nice 4k tv do 4k mode the game has many small details that really pop on it. Otherwise, do the other 60fps with more shadow/texture detail.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
So, not sure I have screwed myself out of the PS5 upgrade files, or if I'm just worried for nothing :(

I have Nioh 2 (PS4 physical) and bought the season pass/got all the DLCs for it. In the PS App on the phone, I started adding the DLC PS5 files to begin with before I noticed there was an item called "Nioh 2 Remastered (PS5 upgrade)". I finished adding the Nioh 2 PS5 DLCs one by one, but now when I go to the "Nioh 2 Remastered (PS5 Upgrade)", it says it's unavailable.

Am I screwed now, or was that Upgrade store item just an unlock for all the PS5 DLCs?

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
really impressed at how great this looks on PS5. was able to get a copy for $10 during the holidays on PS4 and was pleasantly surprised they offered a free upgrade :).

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Nioh 2 remastered on PS5:

Did any one of you notice a white flickering during the character creation and in the tutorial area?

I'm playing in 4K Mode in HDR on.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else lose their save progress on the dlc after upgrading to ps5. Seems like a weird choice to carry over everything but that. I tried reimporting my save, but got the same deal.

I finished the first two and had a save part way in to the third, when I copied over, load it up I have to watch the intro video and have no maps unlocked for any of the dlc.

Last edited:

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Has Koei Tecmo hinted at a free upgrade for the first game? Every press release only mentions Nioh 2. And the PS store only has a Nioh 2 upgrade option but not for the first game.

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
Playing the PS5 remastered version and every now and then the controls lag and become unresponsive, such that, as an example, the camera will keep spinning and the d-pad becomes unresponsive. Has anyone else experienced this? A reboot of the game usually fixes it.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the PS5 remastered version and every now and then the controls lag and become unresponsive, such that, as an example, the camera will keep spinning and the d-pad becomes unresponsive. Has anyone else experienced this? A reboot of the game usually fixes it.

I've been playing the game for like a month solid, over a hundred hours. Haven't experienced that myself.

Do you have just the one controller?

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing the game for like a month solid, over a hundred hours. Haven't experienced that myself.

Do you have just the one controller?
I have a second controller but the X button is a little "sticky" which obviously makes dodging a lot tricker than it needs to be. I'll revisit some earlier levels with this controller and see what happens. In either case, the build quality of the DualSense is very disappointing. I've had three controllers, and two have had defects so far—I'm praying this lag isn't 3 for 3.