• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Titans had to play 3 games to get to GF, NYXL would have to play 4, Shock/Spark have to play 5, How is it easier?

A team in the loser bracket will have to go through either the NYXL or Shock to get to grand finals. or possibly both if you're the spark

if you lose a game, you deserve to have to play more matches, because you dropped a game. it's not a disadvantage -- it's par for the course, you still get to be in the tournament!

what's titans reward for winning every game they had to play?

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
if you lose a game, you deserve to have to play more matches, because you dropped a game. it's not a disadvantage -- it's par for the course, you still get to be in the tournament!

what's titans reward for winning every game they had to play?

If you win a game, you deserve to have less matches, because you came ahead of your opponents. It's not an advantage - it's par for the course, you're winning the tournament!

What's the Shock's penalty for losing the first match when they're still going to get to the grand finals?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
shock really got screwed over by losing to the reign.

playing teams that can't even get a single map off them, while the titans are playing the best of the best and have nothing to show for it.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I feel like next year they'll probably drop the double elimination part of the bracket. Especially because all the winner's bracket games have been good (except for maybe NYXL-London) while all the loser's bracket games have been stomps.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
shock really got screwed over by losing to the reign.

playing teams that can't even get a single map off them, while the titans are playing the best of the best and have nothing to show for it.

Ah yes, playing all but one team in the playoffs versus the Titans getting to miss playing peak Reign, the Spark, and dodge Angry Shock until the very end whereas everyone else gets to get manhandled by Angry Shock. Won't someone think of the poor Titans, who had to play the second weakest team in Playoffs for the first round and the Gladiators throwing via bad coaching decisions on the second round.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I kinda like the double elimination bracket and how it works. It gives good teams a second chance in the case they messed up like the Shock. Its also more games to watch.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Titans had to play 3 games to get to GF, NYXL would have to play 4, Shock/Spark have to play 5, How is it easier?

A team in the loser bracket will have to go through either the NYXL or Shock to get to grand finals. or possibly both if you're the spark

Titans are the most battle tested team in this League

In preparation for these particular playoffs.

It's just like real pro sports or sure why not, fighting game tourneys.

You can have all that experience, but it also matters for being in the moment with any smart adjustments made or new momentum gained.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's because of the double elimination stuff but there's been some damned good games this playoffs. There's been some 4-0 games for sure but the rest are so good I kinda don't mind the blowouts.

Shock going down to the loser's bracket actually made the whole thing more high-stakes too. At this point, I feel like whatever teams make it to finals deserves it. I'd be happy with any of the 4 teams making it, even though Shock/Titans would be amazing.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I kinda like the double elimination bracket and how it works. It gives good teams a second chance in the case they messed up like the Shock. Its also more games to watch.

It's the hypest thing OWL has implemented, Shock dropping to losers would have been more epic had they not faced two teams that just rolled over and let SF stomp them with ease.

Also, we really arguing that there's no benefit to making it to Grands from Winners side when Vancouver literally only played THREE matches to make it and Shock needs to win FOUR after losing their winners bracket match?

Let alone, the mental toll that implies not being able to fuck around like they did against Atlanta with that C9 to begin it? They're super fucking lucky losers bracket exists in the first place.

HylianHero12

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I think they should go with the Apex way of playoffs. Double Elimination quarterfinals with two groups, and then semifinals is winner of group A vs runner up of group B and vice versa. Also, play a 3rd place match. I think it would be nice to have two matches on grand finals weekend.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It's the hypest thing OWL has implemented, Shock dropping to losers would have been more epic had they not faced two teams that just rolled over and let SF stomp them with ease.

Also, we really arguing that there's no benefit to making it to Grands from Winners side when Vancouver literally only played THREE matches to make it and Shock needs to win FOUR after losing their winners bracket match?

Let alone, the mental toll that implies not being able to fuck around like they did against Atlanta with that C9 to begin it? They're super fucking lucky losers bracket exists in the first place.

Yeah, losers bracket is harder. Shock has to win 3 games this week to make it to the finals, which gives them almost no time to actually prepare for the teams they face. Titans had it relatively easier, which gave them more time to prepare for each game going through the winners bracket.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
It should still need a runback for a team to win from losers' bracket. I get why it doesn't, but it shouldn't be that way

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
I think having a runback is something they'll have on their mind for next year, especially if they handle playoffs like a Homestand on a neutral venue.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
most peeps have shock in the grand finals already :p

yeah i just want good games

i feel like the best team to beat the titans are the ones that can surprise them the most, playing straight up will be really close

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Thanks for correcting me on the Grand Finals, guys. I just figured it would require a reset since it's double elimination. I can see why they wouldn't need it in GF but I'm not going to lie, I would like to see it go that way. Seeing a reset is hype and while length would definitely be a talking point, imagine the fortitude to make it through all that. I get it but I'm a bit disappointed.

Anyway, I see this match being closer than most imagine. Wouldn't surprise me to see Map 7. Throwing my pick to Spark upset 4-3.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the lack of double elimination is probably because of time constraints. Be it what they have scheduled at the Flyers' arena or the broadcasting terms they have with their tv partners.

CM_Ace

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I like to see it as the double elimination round is the tournament to qualify for the grand finals, rather than the grand finals being part of the double elimination round.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spark are doing great, and I bet if they were going against anyone else, this would at least be a tied game. But Shock are a scary goddamn team to face.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Damn, Spark needed to hold that second attack to have a better shot at this series. They've fought well but Shock still have that energy flowing.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Shock 11-0 in the loser's bracket. Did the Reign just have them downloaded or what? Shock looking like they could cruise to the grand finals (though I think the NYXL match will be close).

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
All season there was Vancouver, San Francisco, New York clearly on top and then the rest of the league.

At the end of those season they are the last 3 remaining. What a season

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Spark had a great first season overall. Some bumps in the road, sure, but what a team they turned out to be. Excited to see them next season.

Tomorrow is going to be nuts.