Oct 29, 2017
IMG-6031.jpg

This is what I have when I go into my bios.
Do you see a a text at the bottom that says "EzMode (F7)" ?
That should send you to a simplified screen with fewer option similar to the one in the screenshot I posted.

edit: Actually, seem like XMP is not availible on the G10CE

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
BackLogJoe I wonder if updating to a recent BIOS added the feature. The reddit threads I'm seeing are about 2 years old, can't say if something in the last year added the feature or not.
There are updates as recent as early this month.

I'm also seeing In a couple of those Reddit threads from 2 years ago that the memory kit from Crucial CT2K16G4DFRA32A seems to be identified by the G10CE and on its own and set to the desired speed.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
BackLogJoe I wonder if updating to a recent BIOS added the feature. The reddit threads I'm seeing are about 2 years old, can't say if something in the last year added the feature or not.
There are updates as recent as early this month.

I'm also seeing In a couple of those Reddit threads from 2 years ago that the memory kit from Crucial CT2K16G4DFRA32A seems to be identified by the G10CE and on its own and set to the desired speed.

Heres the EzMode screen.

IMG-6032.jpg

Its pretty barebones. I am also seeing some posts on reddit about this particular motherboard not having options in the BIOS.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Heres the EzMode screen.

IMG-6032.jpg

Its pretty barebones. I am also seeing some posts on reddit about this particular motherboard not having options in the BIOS.

If you have memory tweaking options in the advanced settings, you could probably set the clocks and primary timings yourself. But that's getting messy and you would definitely want to run a nice long RAM test just to make sure you're stable.

Given that you bought a prebuilt I don't know what level of tinkering you are comfortable with. RAM overclocking isn't for the faint at heart and that's kinda-sorta but not really where this would be going.

Edit: Oops had an extra quote in there for some reason.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you have memory tweaking options in the advanced settings, you could probably set the clocks and primary timings yourself. But that's getting messy and you would definitely want to run a nice long RAM test just to make sure you're stable.

Given that you bought a prebuilt I don't know what level of tinkering you are comfortable with. RAM overclocking isn't for the faint at heart and that's kinda-sorta but not really where this would be going.

Edit: Oops had an extra quote in there for some reason.

I don't have any adjustments options at all.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any adjustments options at all.
Might be out of luck then. Even though your other RAM says it's running at 3200, the system is going to downclock it to match the slower pair. That's a pretty big bandwidth hit and an undetermined latency penalty. Might want to test some games with and without the new RAM and see if you want to return it.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Should I buy a 4070 Ti Super or wait for the 5000 series to be announced? GPUs are pretty expensive in my country, but I saw a good deal on Amazon, and with the low dollar prices these past few days, I'm really tempted. What should I do? (I have an RTX 3070, + AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D + 32 GB of RAM @3200 combo).
If it is a good enough deal, you should probably get it and of course sell your old card ASAP. The 5070 or 5070 Ti won't launch until 2025 and who knows what the pricing or performance increase might be. The only thing we know for sure is that the 5090 will be a significantly faster card than the 4090 and GDDR7 will be included in various cards which would significantly increase bandwidth. But since AMD will be offering 0 competition until RDNA5 in late 2025 / 2026? and Intel isn't real competition other than laptops APUs, Nvidia can basically charge whatever they want and / or do relatively lame updates.

My feeling is that the rasterization increase for every card other than 5090 (and possibly the 5080) will be very modest, similar to the 4060 and 4060 Ti compared to the 3060 and 3060 Ti. Instead, Nvidia will be pushing some new ray tracing tech that won't work on 4000 and 3000 cards that makes path tracing more feasible on midrange / lower end cards.

But I could be completely wrong and we could get another 3000 series update where nearly every card other than the 3090 (3090 wasnt much faster than 3080, mostly allot more vram) was an amazing update. I am just not very optimistic about that kind of update when nvidia is rolling in AI cash and has no gaming competition.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Might be out of luck then. Even though your other RAM says it's running at 3200, the system is going to downclock it to match the slower pair. That's a pretty big bandwidth hit and an undetermined latency penalty. Might want to test some games with and without the new RAM and see if you want to return it.

Its very frustrating. I swapped out the stock memory and just ran the two new sticks and it was still at 2133. It only seems to like the stock memory. Not sure how to even upgrade now. New motherboard?

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to buy my first desktop since 2005, and upgrade from my ASUS laptop with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz and a a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q design. It has been a great laptop, but when I try to play games like BG3 or even Minecraft the keyboard gets hot to the touch even with a cooling fan tray under it. So now I'm looking for a desktop and monitor. I don't really know much about specs or how to gauge quality outside of reading customer reviews, so any advice anyone could give me would be most appreciated.

Right now I am mostly looking at a budget of around 2K maybe 2.3K factoring in a monitor and speakers.

1: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...er-12gb-2tb-ssd-white/6575113.p?skuId=6575113 This seems like a good option for 1440P gaming, but all the youtube videos and reddit threads I've read say to prioritize VRAM and that 16 gigs might be the standard for modern games in the near future.

2: https://www.newegg.com/abs-sr7700x4070tis-stratos-aqua/p/N82E16883360477 This one has a better GPU but I don't know if it is worth the extra cost or how the CPU compares.

3: https://www.newegg.com/abs-sa14700kf4070tis-stratos-aqua/p/N82E16883360475 This is the most expensive option, but I just don't know if it is worth the price.

For the monitor I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Monitor...16067379&sprefix=acer+nitro+27,aps,156&sr=8-3 This is about as big a screen as my desk can fit. I might look into getting a larger desk with more room and storage space but that might have to wait a bit. There are a lot of curved screen options, but from what I have read it seems like it isn't really effective with a relatively smaller screen.

Sorry to just drop this here, but I am kind of out of my depth.

Oct 29, 2017
I decided to buy my first desktop since 2005, and upgrade from my ASUS laptop with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz and a a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q design. It has been a great laptop, but when I try to play games like BG3 or even Minecraft the keyboard gets hot to the touch even with a cooling fan tray under it. So now I'm looking for a desktop and monitor. I don't really know much about specs or how to gauge quality outside of reading customer reviews, so any advice anyone could give me would be most appreciated.

Right now I am mostly looking at a budget of around 2K maybe 2.3K factoring in a monitor and speakers.

1: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberp...er-12gb-2tb-ssd-white/6575113.p?skuId=6575113 This seems like a good option for 1440P gaming, but all the youtube videos and reddit threads I've read say to prioritize VRAM and that 16 gigs might be the standard for modern games in the near future.

2: https://www.newegg.com/abs-sr7700x4070tis-stratos-aqua/p/N82E16883360477 This one has a better GPU but I don't know if it is worth the extra cost or how the CPU compares.

3: https://www.newegg.com/abs-sa14700kf4070tis-stratos-aqua/p/N82E16883360475 This is the most expensive option, but I just don't know if it is worth the price.

For the monitor I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Monitor-FreeSync-Premium-M3bmiiprx/dp/B0C4Z8RFY9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NRD3X6846ARM&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.SOYFO-rxDkMy3BvBn__XJc9dU3UAGhkLImM01Fkh0RBL0oY7fpD57ev2YI-nzyW52DSQnQenskhhQco0gqbC3iCASwvn4s8Bz_B087xlFtjXh4-7ESIuIKrHLvtC3ClhZKyvoZQB9tu9RoD73NlZ-3QBPSY2wQNSV-NYrrUG4Sh5b-OIQRz8h10G8AuM5JYv-tqyJh_ouC5JVVowO1nDMnrhmHWDlmVLNhdbuO8eraY.UIZ5rnSSJcOwPi5yulMJJwTVBImzYLva6eAqUJYlhGw&dib_tag=se&keywords=acer+nitro+27&qid=1716067379&sprefix=acer+nitro+27,aps,156&sr=8-3 This is about as big a screen as my desk can fit. I might look into getting a larger desk with more room and storage space but that might have to wait a bit. There are a lot of curved screen options, but from what I have read it seems like it isn't really effective with a relatively smaller screen.

Among these I would say go for that first $1600 option with the 4070 Super instead of the $1800 one with the 4070 TI Super. The diference between GPUs is $200 but the first one has a better CPU and more storage.

Monitor is a good deal, so hard to beat in terms of bang for buck except for the shortcoming of edge lit IPS, but another option could be the the AOC Q27G3XMN if you don't mind VA panels and want better contrast ratio and HDR.
www.rtings.com

Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx Review

The Acer Nitro XV272U KVbmiiprzx is an excellent 1440p gaming monitor. It uses an IPS panel with wide viewing angles, and it has excellent ergonomics, meaning yo...
www.rtings.com

AOC Q27G3XMN Review

The AOC Q27G3XMN is a 27-inch budget gaming monitor. It's rather unique for a low-cost monitor as it features Mini LED backlighting with 336 dimming zones, which...

Last edited:

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad this thread exists especially with Father's Day coming around. My husband has been struggling with his Xbox series x and flight simulator 2020 in terms of peripherals. I know long before I met him, he used to be into flight simulators, and that's pretty much the direction he's going to stay in. A couple of posts up I saw that there were options to buy prebuilt pc's . Would any of them give him a great 4k experience with high frame rates? Or should I just buy him components to build one as he's built pcs in the very distant past?

No need for monitor, just the Pc or components needed.

XDDX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad this thread exists especially with Father's Day coming around. My husband has been struggling with his Xbox series x and flight simulator 2020 in terms of peripherals. I know long before I met him, he used to be into flight simulators, and that's pretty much the direction he's going to stay in. A couple of posts up I saw that there were options to buy prebuilt pc's . Would any of them give him a great 4k experience with high frame rates? Or should I just buy him components to build one as he's built pcs in the very distant past?

No need for monitor, just the Pc or components needed.
Sure you can get a prebuilt, something along these lines if it's in the budget. Perfect specs for 4k while being a great value build. Only problem is that the case is ugly, you can spend more for a better looking PC, or that's one of the reasons you can try building one so you can have the parts you want visually.

For the monitor I was thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Monitor-FreeSync-Premium-M3bmiiprx/dp/B0C4Z8RFY9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NRD3X6846ARM&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.SOYFO-rxDkMy3BvBn__XJc9dU3UAGhkLImM01Fkh0RBL0oY7fpD57ev2YI-nzyW52DSQnQenskhhQco0gqbC3iCASwvn4s8Bz_B087xlFtjXh4-7ESIuIKrHLvtC3ClhZKyvoZQB9tu9RoD73NlZ-3QBPSY2wQNSV-NYrrUG4Sh5b-OIQRz8h10G8AuM5JYv-tqyJh_ouC5JVVowO1nDMnrhmHWDlmVLNhdbuO8eraY.UIZ5rnSSJcOwPi5yulMJJwTVBImzYLva6eAqUJYlhGw&dib_tag=se&keywords=acer+nitro+27&qid=1716067379&sprefix=acer+nitro+27,aps,156&sr=8-3 This is about as big a screen as my desk can fit. I might look into getting a larger desk with more room and storage space but that might have to wait a bit. There are a lot of curved screen options, but from what I have read it seems like it isn't really effective with a relatively smaller screen.

I think you have quite a hefty budget and I would start with looking at the monitor first and put more money into that aspect of the build. What kind of games are you planning to play? Mainly single player or competitive FPS too? There's quite a good range of OLED monitors now even at 1440p so I would try seeing if one of those fits into the budget. Here Dell has quite good prices on some refurb OLEDs, I would try to fit either the 1440p or even the 4k one in the budget and look for the PC from there.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I'd say go for the homemade PC, but I talked to someone a couple weeks ago saying they got a pre-built PC for quite a lot cheaper than it would have cost to build the same PC themselves.

So shop around, I guess. Look into the options. Me, I always go for building it myself, but these days that's more so I can maintain full control over absolutely every aspect of the machine than just trying to save a few bucks.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
My 3070 decide to die yesterday, luckily EVGA has 3 years warenty, so I sent it in but won't know the status and also I don't know if they even have any GPU's to replace it with, so I went to microcenter and got a refurbished 3080 founders edition with 2 years warrenty for $450. Was that a ok deal or should I have gotten something cheap to tide me over till my 3070 either get fixed or replaced

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I have an odd dual PC monitor setup question. I have 2 PC's (personal and work) that share 2 monitors. I just bought 2 new 27" 1440p Asus monitors to replace my 15 year old 24" 1080p LG monitors. My old monitors had a button to change the input so I could switch back and forth between computers and they would stay on that PC no matter what (even if I turned the PC off). My new monitors seem to keep defaulting back to HDMI 1 (which is my work PC) every time my personal PC puts the monitors to sleep. I have to then use the control stick thing on the back to re-select the HDMI 2 and Display Port to get them back to my personal PC. It's super annoying. Is there any way to stop them from auto switching?

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Its very frustrating. I swapped out the stock memory and just ran the two new sticks and it was still at 2133. It only seems to like the stock memory. Not sure how to even upgrade now. New motherboard?
You need to find memory which has its JEDEC/stock speed set as afaster speed. Rather than XMP.

My 3070 decide to die yesterday, luckily EVGA has 3 years warenty, so I sent it in but won't know the status and also I don't know if they even have any GPU's to replace it with, so I went to microcenter and got a refurbished 3080 founders edition with 2 years warrenty for $450. Was that a ok deal or should I have gotten something cheap to tide me over till my 3070 either get fixed or replaced
Personally, I would wait to see what EVGA says.

Aside from that, $450 for a refurbished 3080 is too much. You can get open box and refurbished 4070 for that much or less. Heck, sometimes you can get them new for that much.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I had a perfectly stable X570 Dark Hero Asus board and now that I set it up for my kid, it forced a BIOS redo. I took the CPU out while cleaning things and somehow it knew the CPU was "replaced", which I find odd. This one has 5800X3D.

I also added a 7800X3D rig for myself with MSI 670e Carbon MB.

Are there any good tuning guides that are worth the view/read? I had one way back for the AM4 board and I can't find it.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
What's wrong with Corsair? I'm looking at a set of their 6000MT DDR5 for my next upgrade coming up soon.
Their DDR4 at this stage is a cesspool of low quality to straight defective ICs with horrendous stability even at simple XMP speeds, this is extremely common on their lower end Vengeance SKUs. And their DDR5 isn't better, you want and only want DDR5 kits with Hynix ICs and Corsair still uses a mix of Micron, Samsung and Hynix which you can not easily tell from the spec alone, unless you specifically know what you are looking at (subtle primary timing differences).
The post above specified I needed to find memory where 3200 was the JEDEC speed. I do not have access to xmp. I need xmp certified?
3200CL22 is the JEDEC speed (the max JEDEC certified speed for DDR4), 3200CL16 however is a XMP spec speed and what you actually want.

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Their DDR4 at this stage is a cesspool of low quality to straight defective ICs with horrendous stability even at simple XMP speeds, this is extremely common on their lower end Vengeance SKUs. And their DDR5 isn't better, you want and only want DDR5 kits with Hynix ICs and Corsair still uses a mix of Micron, Samsung and Hynix which you can not easily tell from the spec alone, unless you specifically know what you are looking at (subtle primary timing differences).

3200CL22 is the JEDEC speed (the max JEDEC certified speed for DDR4), 3200CL16 however is a XMP spec speed and what you actually want.

That is literally the memory I installed that wouldn't go above 2133.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
So what's a good brand/model for DDR5 these days?

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready to upgrade my ten year old PC. I'm trying to put together an order on cyberpowerpc (assembling something myself is quite difficult in the living space I'm in) with a budget of around $2000. Can someone confirm these specs are relatively future proof? The videocard isn't anything special because I won't be doing much gaming, and even so, it'll only be a 1080p.

CAS: CyberPowerPC AMETHYST 242 HIGH AIRFLOW Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side Tempered Glass Swing Door + 3x ARGB Fans [+1] (White)

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 Processor 7900X3D 12-core/24-thread 4.4GHz [Turbo 5.6GHz] 140MB Cache AM5

HDD: 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/1100k [+143] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+60] (GSKILL TRIDENT Z5 RGB [WHITE] [+60])

MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X670E PG Lightning AM5 ATX w/ 2.5GbT LAN, (3)PCIe x16, (1)PCIe x1, (2)M.2, (4)SATA [+85]

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - High Power 850W 80+ GOLD ATX 3.0 Ready w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards

VIDEO: AMD Radeon™ RX 7600 8GB GDDR6 Video Card [-507] (Single Card)

Frankly I'd like a laptop, but everything I've researched seems like it's either loud or burn a hole through my table.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
That is literally the memory I installed that wouldn't go above 2133.

Download https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html, run it and post a screenshot of the motherboard, memory and SPD tabs.
So what's a good brand/model for DDR5 these days?
For AMD, anything 6000CL30 with Hynix ICs (A or M-die are both good), for Intel, can either do that or go to anything 6400CL32 and up, as these are guaranteed to be Hynix A-die which is the top IC for high speed DDR5.
I'm ready to upgrade my ten year old PC. I'm trying to put together an order on cyberpowerpc (assembling something myself is quite difficult in the living space I'm in) with a budget of around $2000. Can someone confirm these specs are relatively future proof? The videocard isn't anything special because I won't be doing much gaming, and even so, it'll only be a 1080p.

CAS: CyberPowerPC AMETHYST 242 HIGH AIRFLOW Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Side Tempered Glass Swing Door + 3x ARGB Fans [+1] (White)

CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 Processor 7900X3D 12-core/24-thread 4.4GHz [Turbo 5.6GHz] 140MB Cache AM5

HDD: 2TB WD BLACK SN850X (PCIe Gen4) NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 7300/6600 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 1200/1100k [+143] (Single Drive)

MEMORY: 32GB (16GBx2) DDR5/6000MHz Dual Channel Memory [+60] (GSKILL TRIDENT Z5 RGB [WHITE] [+60])

MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK X670E PG Lightning AM5 ATX w/ 2.5GbT LAN, (3)PCIe x16, (1)PCIe x1, (2)M.2, (4)SATA [+85]

POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - High Power 850W 80+ GOLD ATX 3.0 Ready w/ PCIE 12+4Pins Connector for PCIe 5.0 graphics cards

Frankly I'd like a laptop, but everything I've researched seems like it's either loud or burn a hole through my table.
An incredibly wasteful and unbalanced build with one of the most nonsensical CPUs on the market, a grossly overkill motherboard that doesn't grant any practical benefit for a general user. And if your use case isnt mainly gaming, a bigger, higher resolution screen is a significant quality of life increase for both general browsing and productivity.
A much better more all around choice for general use and games, can use the rest on a great 1440p high refresh rate monitor:

Cien

Oct 25, 2017

Future proof? Sure. I don't know what you are going to be doing with the machine, but the motherboard is almost assuredly overkill. the CPU may also be overkill depending on your workloads. RAM and SSD are fine. I would reign in the motherboard and CPU, and bump up the GPU to maybe a 7800 XT or around that performance. that will be a bit more balanced and last you years.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
An incredibly wasteful and unbalanced build with one of the most nonsensical CPUs on the market, a grossly overkill motherboard that doesn't grant any practical benefit for a general user. And if your use case isnt mainly gaming, a bigger, higher resolution screen is a significant quality of life increase for both general browsing and productivity.
A much better more all around choice for general use and games, can use the rest on a great 1440p high refresh rate monitor:

Future proof? Sure. I don't know what you are going to be doing with the machine, but the motherboard is almost assuredly overkill. the CPU may also be overkill depending on your workloads. RAM and SSD are fine. I would reign in the motherboard and CPU, and bump up the GPU to maybe a 7800 XT or around that performance. that will be a bit more balanced and last you years.
Thank you both! This is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

Taking that newegg link as a starting point, is there anything grievous in this build?

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had an issue with AMD before and disabling integrated graphics? I just updated the bios on my b650 gigabyte and even though in the bios the integrated graphics are disabled, I still have it in display adapters in device manager.

Not the biggest issue but it makes me wonder if something is jacked in my bios and other stuff isn't working right (like my EXPO profile being enabled. Aside from this being on in the bios I'm not sure how to check if it's actually increased my ram frequency or not)

Cien

Oct 25, 2017

Taking that newegg link as a starting point, is there anything grievous in this build?

That is a far more balanced build. I can't see any immediate red flags with that build. The only thing I would change is the motherboard. It is a micro atx board in a regular atx case. It would fit and work without any issues, but you would be leaving a lot of empty space in the actual case itself. How much that would bother you is personal. It would drive me insane lol.

basically you would be doing something like this:

Gabinete99.jpg

Minus that, solid build specs.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
(Husband takeover)

Thanks for replying to my wife's earlier inquiry, as I tend to read more than post here or even the OT thank you again.

I decided to play with the Newegg builder, but it's been nearly 25 years since building a PC, and reading through some of the recommendations both here and Newegg has my head spinning.

This is what I came to using their guide, I did make some changes (processor was on a Ryzen 9) the storage and pc case.

Thermaltake TH240 ARGB Sync V2 CPU Liquid Cooler/AlO Liquid

$91

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (USB) 198.00 (I think I can get that cheaper elsewhere )

LIAN LI LANCOOL 216RX Black Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,2x 16 cm ARGB Fans Included ----LANCOOL 216RX $99

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400 (PC5 51200) Desktop Memory Model F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RW $109.99

Corsair MP600 PRO LPX M.2 2280 1TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe 1.4 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) CSSD-F1000GBMP600PLPW - Optimized for PS5 $102.99

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - Ryzen 7 7000 Series 8-Core 4.2 GHz Socket AM5$345

GIGABYTE GP-UD850GM PG5 Rev2.0 - PCIe5.0 Ready - ATX3.0 - 850W 80 Plus Gold Certified - Fully Modular Power Supply $119.99

MSI EXPERT GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 4080 SUPER 16G EXPERT
$1069.99

MSI MPG B650 EDGE WIFI AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s DDR5 Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard
$227.99

Total with tax and shipping $2,533.30

Just seems a little up there in price compared to some of the Amazon pre-builds, but willing to pay that. Games that I would play on it are MS flight sim, DCS, X4 foundations and maybe go back to Elite Dangerous since they long killed the console versions a while back. Ultra settings with an expectation of 60fps.

Thanks again folks.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

I would get a 7600x and buy a 4070 super or 7900 GRE.

In a 12 game average, Hardware unboxed has 7600x only 6 frames behind in 1%lows and 5frames in average framerate.

Or, Amazon Warehouse has a used 7700x for $228

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Upgrading from I5 9400F, RTX 2060, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD computer to a I5 12400f, RTX 4070 Super, 16GB DDR5, 1tb NVMe M.2 SS. It's prebuilt, but did get a deal on it.

I'm not too savvy with computers, how much of a performance increase can I expect? I didn't want to spend too much and go for a 4080 or 4090. I only have a 1440p monitor.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Yes, that should work!
However, it would be best to buy another set of the same RAM which came in the PC. To keep the memory chips similar/the same. I'm not actually too worried about mixing the two sets. But, since you have no memory tweaking options, it would be best to get more of the same, if you can find it.

Anything 3200CL22 is not XMP certified, that's a JEDEC spec speed. Find things such as 3200CL16 at 1.35V. Avoid Corsair DDR4, as well.

You should have read back through a few of BackLogJoe's post about this. Its a pre-built Asus computer, which doesn't have XMP as a BIOS feature. So, it will only read and set a JEDEC programmed speed. And it has no other settings to manually overclock RAM speed, either.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Upgrading from I5 9400F, RTX 2060, 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD computer to a I5 12400f, RTX 4070 Super, 16GB DDR5, 1tb NVMe M.2 SS. It's prebuilt, but did get a deal on it.

I'm not too savvy with computers, how much of a performance increase can I expect? I didn't want to spend too much and go for a 4080 or 4090. I only have a 1440p monitor.
Techpowerup says RTX 2060 is 42% of an 4070, at 1440p.

relative-performance-2560-1440.png

And the CPU is over 600 points better in Cinibench Single core score, compared to 9th and 10th gen. Which is a huge improvement.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
You should have read back through a few of BackLogJoe's post about this. Its a pre-built Asus computer, which doesn't have XMP as a BIOS feature. So, it will only read and set a JEDEC programmed speed. And it has no other settings to manually overclock RAM speed, either.
That's a very fucked up thing for Asus to do... I assume it's a Hx10 motherboard? That's why I was asking for CPU-Z shots.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hello folks. I've got the opportunity to get a prebuilt PC, and just wanted to check I wasn't making any mistakes with the hardware configuration.

Case: FRACTAL NORTH TG GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Eight Core CPU (4.5GHz-5.4GHz/40MB CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X670E AORUS PRO X WHITE (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 7)
Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 16GB) KIT - WHITE
Graphics Card: 16GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 Ti SUPER - WHITE - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 2TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 5000 MB/R, 4400 MB/W)
Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W RMe SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 100 ARGB ICE Series High Performance CPU Cooler - WHITE

Mainly going to be used for gaming, but will also be using it for work (via remote connections, so nothing taxing) and occasional image editing. I don't need to run stuff at the highest end, but would like to play newer releases (like Senua's Saga, for instance, Ghost of Tsushima etc. Apex is also a staple in my group).

Anything I should bump up? Could maybe squeeze a little bit more into the budget if it really needs it.

Thanks in advance.

XDDX

Oct 26, 2017
Hello folks. I've got the opportunity to get a prebuilt PC, and just wanted to check I wasn't making any mistakes with the hardware configuration.

Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 7 7700X Eight Core CPU (4.5GHz-5.4GHz/40MB CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X670E AORUS PRO X WHITE (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 7)
Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 16GB) KIT - WHITE
Graphics Card: 16GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 Ti SUPER - WHITE - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive: 2TB CORSAIR CORE XT MP600 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 5000 MB/R, 4400 MB/W)
Power Supply: CORSAIR 750W RMe SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling: PCS FrostFlow 100 ARGB ICE Series High Performance CPU Cooler - WHITE

Mainly going to be used for gaming, but will also be using it for work (via remote connections, so nothing taxing) and occasional image editing. I don't need to run stuff at the highest end, but would like to play newer releases (like Senua's Saga, for instance, Ghost of Tsushima etc. Apex is also a staple in my group).

Anything I should bump up? Could maybe squeeze a little bit more into the budget if it really needs it.

Thanks in advance.
Looks fine but I would try to bump up to a 4080 super if you can somehow. The motherboard here is also a bit overkill and the ram kit could be better (look for 6000 c30),

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Looks fine but I would try to bump up to a 4080 super if you can somehow. The motherboard here is also a bit overkill and the ram kit could be better (look for 6000 c30),

Thanks for the advice. For the motherboard, what would you recommend instead?

UY461KB.png

I updated the card to "16GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4080 SUPER - WHITE - HDMI, DP, LHR" and the ram to "32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB) KIT - WHITE", and it's just about within budget.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020

UY461KB.png

I updated the card to "16GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4080 SUPER - WHITE - HDMI, DP, LHR" and the ram to "32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB) KIT - WHITE", and it's just about within budget.
Is that pcspecialist? Just be aware that these configurator websites are usually very overpriced.
What's the total price for the build looking like?

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Is that pcspecialist? Just be aware that these configurator websites are usually very overpriced.
What's the total price for the build looking like?

It is pcspecialist, yes. With those changes, the build is at 2.4k but I won't be paying for some of it. I'm going to do a comparison between this and buying parts to see if the difference is worth it, but just settling on parts first :)

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
It is pcspecialist, yes. With those changes, the build is at 2.4k but I won't be paying for some of it. I'm going to do a comparison between this and buying parts to see if the difference is worth it, but just settling on parts first :)
Alright, enjoy the process! With that budget you should always go for a 7800X3D.

XDDX

Oct 26, 2017

UY461KB.png

The b650 should be good, but any of the x670's are also fine if they are not much more than the b650. I would also put in an 850w PSU if it's not too much more, and maybe a cheaper air cooler for the CPU if there is an option.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Alright, enjoy the process! With that budget you should always go for a 7800X3D.

The b650 should be good, but any of the x670's are also fine if they are not much more than the b650. I would also put in an 850w PSU if it's not too much more, and maybe a cheaper air cooler for the CPU if there is an option.

Thanks folks. I've updated the build:

Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.0GHz/104MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 5.0, Wi-Fi 6E)
Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB) KIT - WHITE
Graphics Card: 16GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4080 SUPER - WHITE - HDMI, DP, LHR
Power Supply: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Puts it at just over 2.5k, so now I need to see what the difference is if I source the parts myself, and whether or not it's worth it for me to do so. Cheers!

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in my yearly 'I should get a gaming PC'-mood at the moment. Seems like a great time with all the console games coming to PC, and there being lots of games I would absolutely love to play but are only on PC.

Anyway, I'd only get the PC to play games on. For all other things I'm staying on my Macs. Is there anything I could cheap out on if literally the only thing the machine would be used for is gaming? I'm guessing the answer is no, but here's hoping.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I'm in my yearly 'I should get a gaming PC'-mood at the moment. Seems like a great time with all the console games coming to PC, and there being lots of games I would absolutely love to play but are only on PC.

Anyway, I'd only get the PC to play games on. For all other things I'm staying on my Macs. Is there anything I could cheap out on if literally the only thing the machine would be used for is gaming? I'm guessing the answer is no, but here's hoping.
You basically want a good GPU, you can save as much as you want on the other components.
Did you have a budget in mind? What kind of monitor are you using? Where are you from?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA

To add to arrado's question, what games are you looking to play? It's cheap enough to make a PC that can play Warzone or Valorant, but if you're looking at newer single player titles (like Alan Wake 2 or Hellblade) then you'll need a much more beefy computer.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You basically want a good GPU, you can save as much as you want on the other components.
Did you have a budget in mind? What kind of monitor are you using? Where are you from?
I've got a 1440p 144Hz and a 4k60 monitor. Not entirely sure yet, but I think 1500 eu would be my sweet spot, but I would potentially be willing to go to 2000 eu. And since I can book it as a business expense that'd actually be ~1800 - 2420 eu with taxes. But you know... I'd rather spend a bit less than more.

Odds are also that I could get a boat load of RAM for cheap/free and maybe a decent/good CPU for free as my friend is head IT at a big company and wants to hook me up because he'd join me in this PC adventure, lol.

To add to arrado's question, what games are you looking to play? It's cheap enough to make a PC that can play Warzone or Valorant, but if you're looking at newer single player titles (like Alan Wake 2 or Hellblade) then you'll need a much more beefy computer.

These days I mostly just play a bit of Warzone, F1, and whatever Gamepass has to offer me. Ideally I would like to play games where I can have both my quality and performance mode in one. So the high fidelity graphics with a higher framerate. You just take quite the graphics hit when you decide to play at a higher framerate on console, especially when you go 120, and that's just such a bummer.

Edit: Stuff I would love to play on PC in the future are games like Manor Lords, Cities Skyline 2, or open world survival games like Sons of the Forest, and maybe some Escape from Tarkov and Ready or Not.

Last edited:

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
As the only "tech guy" in my office everyone comes to me when their kids want a PC/laptop. But I've been console only for a while now and I'm really not up to speed with what's current in the PC space.

I have a colleague that wants to spend around £500. The kid plays Fortnite and COD mostly and also owns a PS5. I know they're not really getting a "gaming" PC at that price but I'm just after tips on what's currently best bang for your buck in that price range. I assume it will have to have flashing coloured lights on it to be considered a "gaming PC" though.

Pre built would be ideal but I could build it for them if just grabbing individual parts gets a much better deal.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've got a 1440p 144Hz and a 4k60 monitor. Not entirely sure yet, but I think 1500 eu would be my sweet spot, but I would potentially be willing to go to 2000 eu. And since I can book it as a business expense that'd actually be ~1800 - 2420 eu with taxes. But you know... I'd rather spend a bit less than more.

Odds are also that I could get a boat load of RAM for cheap/free and maybe a decent/good CPU for free as my friend is head IT at a big company and wants to hook me up because he'd join me in this PC adventure, lol.

These days I mostly just play a bit of Warzone, F1, and whatever Gamepass has to offer me. Ideally I would like to play games where I can have both my quality and performance mode in one. So the high fidelity graphics with a higher framerate. You just take quite the graphics hit when you decide to play at a higher framerate on console, especially when you go 120, and that's just such a bummer.

1440p/144hz and 4k60... could do a system with a 7800x3d (or maybe 14900k from the intel side) and 4080 super.