Pepperminty

Jul 10, 2019
I'd echo to consider the 14700k especially with your concerns. It's cheaper and 98-99% as fast in games as the 13900k. It uses a little less power in gaming too. And it's not that too far behind the 13900k in productivity either - maybe around 5-9% slower at the absolute most.
Alright, I'll be fine with that since I wasn't 100% set in stone with most of the stuff I picked and I could use the extra money on an aesthetic choice I like. I can always upgrade later if I feel I need more power. Thank you for your input!

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I have a question for the 7800x3D users.

Is PBO on this CPU acutally worth it?
I mean - in normal usage (browsing, office, gaming) it generally only boosts beyond 4,2ghz when loading into a game or really creating a CPU bound scenario like turning off all frame limiters.

On the other hand it can get pretty warm, pretty quickly. With my Phantom Spirit there are short spikes into the high 70s or sometimes even hitting 80. In synthetic scenarios (like Cinebench R23 multicore) it reaches about 87-88 degrees. While I know, that that's basically normal behavior for that silicon & nothing to really worry about - I'm still wondering if that boost & high voltage is actually worth it when mostly using it as a gaming CPU?
7800X3D are firmware limited from benefitting much with PBO, in terms of frequency boost. Mostly it's more aggressive at maintaining its max clock.
That can slightly benefit some scenarios, a little bit. But, it's generally worthless for most gaming and only adds heat.

However, you can use curve Optimizer to undervolt.

IMO, the best setup for Zen4 X3D is no attempt at boost from PBO, and only whatever CO settings you can do, with stability.

and if you still have a temp issue, set a lower throttle temp.

will Zen 5 just have its official announcement in June at Computex or will it be available for purchase immediately as well?
No one knows. But, they have often started selling new Ryzens at the same time as they are announced. Zen 2 was a big one. And it was the same time of year.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
How do you people feel about Yeyian? I'm not too familiar with them but this seems pretty decent but I'm unsure.

Edit: Here's a 14700KF with a 4070 Ti Super vs 13700F 4080 Super (above)

I've also been keeping and eye on this but I don't think alot of the parts are replaceable and and would make upgrading a pain.

slickdeals.net

Dell XPS 8960 Desktop: i7-13700, 16GB DDR5, 512GB NVMe SSD, RTX 4090 24GB $2295 + Free Shipping

Update: This deal is still available. Dell Technologies has Dell XPS 8960 Desktop on sale for - 10% Off clearance items coupon code 10OFFCLEAR = $2,294.99. Shipping is free. Thanks to commun ...

This will be used mostly for gaming but I'm interested in getting into game development and 3D modeling.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Probably opening a can of worms here.... but here goes. I'm actually thinking of jumping to an AMD card.

I'm currently using a RTX 3070 on a 21:9 ultrawide @1440p and I've been looking at both a 4080 Super and a 7900xtx. I have an eventual eye on jumping to 4k down the road at some point but this is what I'll be rolling with for the foreseeable future.

Here are the issues... keep in mind my budget is around $1000

1. If I switch to AMD can I live without Ray Tracing and DLSS? I do think I can live without high end ray tracing... I know some games do handle it well on AMD cards, but its not across the board. I think I can live without DLSS considering the 7900xtx should just tear through any game at max settings on everything at my currently played resolution. Most people would even say the 7900xtx (and 4080 Super) would be complete overkill at this point in time at the resolution I'm playing at.

2. Big issue is that the 4080 Supers for the most part, have creeped back up well past their MSRP on both Amazon and Newegg. Amazon has 2 models of PNY cards just a tad bit over $1000 but every other make and model are in the $1150-$1250 range. So I do I contribute to keeping on feeding this beast? I know 5000s are coming... BUT I don't believe for one second there will be a model in my budget range at launch and I fully expect that whatever launches will either be supply or scalper constrained, and prices well over MSRP for some time.

Also... I did purchase a 7900xtx late yesterday off Newegg using their 12% off Zip deal and got the price down to around $800. I can always cancel it over the weekend because Newegg won't get around to processing it until Monday.

I feel like this is a big major decision and I'm really sweating it.

XDDX

Oct 26, 2017
Probably opening a can of worms here.... but here goes. I'm actually thinking of jumping to an AMD card.

I'm currently using a RTX 3070 on a 21:9 ultrawide @1440p and I've been looking at both a 4080 Super and a 7900xtx. I have an eventual eye on jumping to 4k down the road at some point but this is what I'll be rolling with for the foreseeable future.

1. If I switch to AMD can I live without Ray Tracing and DLSS? I do think I can live without high end ray tracing... I know some games do handle it well on AMD cards, but its not across the board. I think I can live without DLSS considering the 7900xtx should just tear through any game at max settings on everything at my currently played resolution. Most people would even say the 7900xtx (and 4080 Super) would be complete overkill at this point in time at the resolution I'm playing at.

2. Big issue is that the 4080 Supers for the most part, have creeped back up well past their MSRP on both Amazon and Newegg. Amazon has 2 models of PNY cards just a tad bit over $1000 but every other make and model are in the $1150-$1250 range. So I do I contribute to keeping on feeding this beast? I know 5000s are coming... BUT I don't believe for one second there will be a model in my budget range at launch and I fully expect that whatever launches will either be supply or scalper constrained, and prices well over MSRP for some time.

Also... I did purchase a 7900xtx late yesterday off Newegg using their 12% off Zip deal and got the price down to around $800. I can always cancel it over the weekend because Newegg won't get around to processing it until Monday.

That's pretty good for the price, it's just up to you how much you think you miss the Nvidia features. The PNY models of the 4080 should be fine too, you don't have to pay $100+ for other brands. As you said with the 5000 series incoming it doesn't feel good to spend big bucks on a GPU so I would be happy with anything in the $600-800 range from AMD or Nvidia as both would be a big upgrade from a 3070 and last you a while.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I'm happy with my 7800XT that was just under $500 around Black Friday. Yeah, RT is lower performance than Nvidia but I was still able to enjoy Avatar at stable 60 with near max settings, 1080p ultrawide.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Looks like I am gonna wait some more to upgrade my RTX3060. Let's wait for 5000 series if you don't need GPU immediately.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, there are not that many purely rasterization games at 3440x1440 that will really need all that juice. The truly demanding games will be with RT on and that's where your 7900 XTX, which in raster is a 4080 Super competitor, is now closer to 4070 Super performance. $800 is not a bad deal, but why not a 4070 Ti Super for $800 instead? in the most demanding games, which are usually RT, you will be faster than the XTX. And in pure raster, it's not like a 4070 Ti Super isn't strong at 3440x1440 even if it lags behind the XTX. Throw on top of that DLSS (which again is used in the most demanding titles which again means RT) and it means Nvidia cards are really the best choice at the high end right now.

AMD makes a lot of sense at lower price tiers (it's almost impossible to recommend a 4060 Ti or 4060), is debatable at mid range (the 7800 XT and 7900 GRE aren't bad cards), but it's a tougher sell at this price tier where pure raster isn't really that big of a performance problem.

I guess the 4070 Ti Supers are creeping up in price a little though and you can't use that Zip deal. At $800, the XTX almost starts to be a solid choice. Just know though in the really demanding titles with RT and where DLSS can help (they go hand-in-hand) then even the 4070 Ti Super will be a better choice.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, there are not that many purely rasterization games at 3440x1440 that will really need all that juice. The truly demanding games will be with RT on and that's where your 7900 XTX, which in raster is a 4080 Super competitor, is now closer to 4070 Super performance. $800 is not a bad deal, but why not a 4070 Ti Super for $800 instead? in the most demanding games, which are usually RT, you will be faster than the XTX. And in pure raster, it's not like a 4070 Ti Super isn't strong at 3440x1440 even if it lags behind the XTX. Throw on top of that DLSS (which again is used in the most demanding titles which again means RT) and it means Nvidia cards are really the best choice at the high end right now.

AMD makes a lot of sense at lower price tiers (it's almost impossible to recommend a 4060 Ti or 4060), is debatable at mid range (the 7800 XT and 7900 GRE aren't bad cards), but it's a tougher sell at this price tier where pure raster isn't really that big of a performance problem.

I guess the 4070 Ti Supers are creeping up in price a little though and you can't use that Zip deal. At $800, the XTX almost starts to be a solid choice. Just know though in the really demanding titles with RT and where DLSS can help (they go hand-in-hand) then even the 4070 Ti Super will be a better choice.

All good points. That's why it makes the decision so tough.

One of the reasons though I'm looking at least the 4080 super/7900xtx is because I will be making the jump to 4k at some point. Not anytime soon but at some point. I'm also the person that likes to get 3-4 years out of a graphics card and my gut feeling is that the 7900xtx will have more shelf life at 4k vs. say a 4070ti. But again, what am I willing to give up to stay in my budget ? That's what I'm wrestling with. Having all these 4080 Supers still sitting well above MSRP right now just sucks. If I had a good selection near MSRP I'd be all over it

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I know, I know, everyone is going to tell me to build one myself, and I have built many before, but right now I am in a position where I need to buy a prebuilt for reasons I won't get into. Where do people suggest I do this to both a) not get ripped off and b) have the build be actually good with nice wiring and not cheaping out on components?

I am looking at a high-end build with a 4080 Super or maybe 4090, CPU will be 14900KF or a close equivalent. PC will be used for gaming but also virtual machines and AI (please no judging :p)

Lemstar

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I know, everyone is going to tell me to build one myself, and I have built many before, but right now I am in a position where I need to buy a prebuilt for reasons I won't get into. Where do people suggest I do this to both a) not get ripped off and b) have the build be actually good with nice wiring and not cheaping out on components?

I am looking at a high-end build with a 4080 Super or maybe 4090, CPU will be 14900KF or a close equivalent. PC will be used for gaming but also virtual machines and AI (please no judging :p)
can get something like that for ~$3200 at Cyberpower, pretty comparable to building yourself

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
All good points. That's why it makes the decision so tough.

One of the reasons though I'm looking at least the 4080 super/7900xtx is because I will be making the jump to 4k at some point. Not anytime soon but at some point. I'm also the person that likes to get 3-4 years out of a graphics card and my gut feeling is that the 7900xtx will have more shelf life at 4k vs. say a 4070ti. But again, what am I willing to give up to stay in my budget ? That's what I'm wrestling with. Having all these 4080 Supers still sitting well above MSRP right now just sucks. If I had a good selection near MSRP I'd be all over it
Don't go AMD on the GPU. FSR is so behind both DLSS and XeSS in quality, it's ridiculous. AMD wont ever catch up unless they finally implement some sort of dedicated machine learning hardware in their next GPU. FSR/DLSS are super critical to having a pleasant 4k gaming experience, especially since many upcoming games will be UE5 which is a resource hog for graphics that aren't that much better... This is without even considering Ray tracing which again you want Nvidia for.

Also, don't go for anything other than a $999 MSRP 4080S - you just need to be diligent and eventually you can get a 4080 FE at MSRP from Nvidia.com. Hmm, I see a Zotac 4080 Super in stock at $999 at Newegg too right now...

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
One of my friends bought that PNY 4080 Super Verto recently. It's the only model available for €999 MSRP here.
Edit: that's actually below MSRP (€1119).

So far the card has been great.
Comes with a massive cooler and is pretty silent. The fans feel pretty sturdy as well. I think it's a nicer card than models like MSI Ventus or Zotac Trinity.
No fancy RGB but the black neutral design looks pretty good actually.

Power limit can't be raised.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Don't go AMD on the GPU. FSR is so behind both DLSS and XeSS in quality, it's ridiculous. AMD wont ever catch up unless they finally implement some sort of dedicated machine learning hardware in their next GPU. FSR/DLSS are super critical to having a pleasant 4k gaming experience, especially since many upcoming games will be UE5 which is a resource hog for graphics that aren't that much better... This is without even considering Ray tracing which again you want Nvidia for.

Also, don't go for anything other than a $999 MSRP 4080S - you just need to be diligent and eventually you can get a 4080 FE at MSRP from Nvidia.com. Hmm, I see a Zotac 4080 Super in stock at $999 at Newegg too right now...

I bit the bullet and got a 4080 Super. Cancelled the Newegg deal with the 7900xtx. Best Buy had one in stock for $1099 - the Asus Tuf Gaming OC 4080 Super.

Now I've got another problem. This thing is fucking ENORMOUS. Look at it compared to my 3070. I'm going to have to remove the front case fans to get it in. And probably some other stuff. It will not go straight it into the case but I can probably angle it in if I take a lot of other shit out. So that's my evening. I'll be breaking down my entire PC. First world problems I know… hey I should be happy I got a 4080 Super. But damn… I mean how much bigger are these cards going to get? Am I going to have to stop at Home Depot and get a small storage shed for the 5000 or 6000 series whenever I upgrade?

View: https://x.com/shattymckracken/status/1781855178695520280?s=46&t=wsrUQcMbZFIPfo62pXsjXw

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I bit the bullet and got a 4080 Super. Cancelled the Newegg deal with the 7900xtx. Best Buy had one in stock for $1099 - the Asus Tuf Gaming OC 4080 Super.

Now I've got another problem. This thing is fucking ENORMOUS. Look at it compared to my 3070. I'm going to have to remove the front case fans to get it in. And probably some other stuff. It will not go straight it into the case but I can probably angle it in if I take a lot of other shit out. So that's my evening. I'll be breaking down my entire PC. First world problems I know… hey I should be happy I got a 4080 Super. But damn… I mean how much bigger are these cards going to get? Am I going to have to stop at Home Depot and get a small storage shed for the 5000 or 6000 series whenever I upgrade?

View: https://x.com/shattymckracken/status/1781855178695520280?s=46&t=wsrUQcMbZFIPfo62pXsjXw

Lol, nice. Yeah the 4080S is using the same cooler as the 4090 which are maximum size and originally designed to cool up to 600 watts (the initial power usage Nvidia was going for until they came to their senses and settled on 450 watts). The Asus Tuf series is a nice cooler but a little long, some others can be slightly smaller but 4080S and 4090 coolers will overall still be pretty long unless it is water cooled. One thing to watch out for, the original 4090 and 4080 from Asus did have coil whine, I don't think the 4080S has the issue nearly as much so hopefully you wont hear anything other than the mostly quiet fans.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Do you need anything to counter possible GPU sag?

If so, something like this works well.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you need anything to counter possible GPU sag?

If so, something like this works well.

I'm going to have to get a new case. I took everything out down to the motherboard and it just absolutely will not fit into my Fractal Meshify C case. A fellow owner of the same case said he got it through the front but I have welded cross brackets on mine. I'm not getting it in without a crowbar and I'm not about to risk damaging the card trying to force it in. I've got a Lian Li O11 dynamic Snow White case on the way and it is supposed to have a bracket with it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to have to get a new case. I took everything out down to the motherboard and it just absolutely will not fit into my Fractal Meshify C case. A fellow owner of the same case said he got it through the front but I have welded cross brackets on mine. I'm not getting it in without a crowbar and I'm not about to risk damaging the card trying to force it in. I've got a Lian Li O11 dynamic Snow White case on the way and it is supposed to have a bracket with it.
You could've saved a bit of money with the Neo Cube 2!

Straight clone, but as far as bigass towers go, I liked building in it. Not for me though because I'm iTX for the rest of my life.

Jul 9, 2019
Hi! My gpu died and now I'm thinking about building a new pc. I've already got a PS5 and not that much time for gaming, so I'm looking for something mid-range that is still futureproof and could be upgraded down the line. I mostly use the pc for multiplayer games with friends and some retro-emulation. I've got a couple of questions.

I'm in the EU.
1. What do I have to pay to build a mid-range pc? I'd need everything except accessories.
2. What mid-range GPU and CPU can you recommend?
3. What do I have to consider if I want a quiet pc? Is water-cooling a good idea?

I'd be super happy to get some pointers :)

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Hi! My gpu died and now I'm thinking about building a new pc. I've already got a PS5 and not that much time for gaming, so I'm looking for something mid-range that is still futureproof and could be upgraded down the line. I mostly use the pc for multiplayer games with friends and some retro-emulation. I've got a couple of questions.

I'm in the EU.
1. What do I have to pay to build a mid-range pc? I'd need everything except accessories.
2. What mid-range GPU and CPU can you recommend?
3. What do I have to consider if I want a quiet pc? Is water-cooling a good idea?

I'd be super happy to get some pointers :)
Which country are you from exactly? I'll try to make a PCpartpicker list with some suggestions.
You have a monitor? resolution/refreshrate?

AM5 is the preferred platform for a gaming PC right now. Starting price is around 1000 euro, but 1200-1400 euro would be a better range for a nice mid-range PC. You could obviously go a bit higher than that if you want to. 2000 euro gets you pretty close to a top-of-the-line PC.

PCs are generally pretty quiet these days, just make sure to buy decent quality components. Water cooling is nice, but can often be louder than air cooler due to the pump noise.

Jul 9, 2019
Which country are you from exactly? I'll try to make a PCpartpicker list with some suggestions.
You have a monitor? resolution/refreshrate?

AM5 is the preferred platform for a gaming PC right now. Starting price is around 1000 euro, but 1200-1400 euro would be a better range for a nice mid-range PC. You could obviously go a bit higher than that if you want to. 2000 euro gets you pretty close to a top-of-the-line PC.

PCs are generally pretty quiet these days, just make sure to buy decent quality components. Water cooling is nice, but can often be louder than air cooler due to the pump noise.

I'm from Germany. A list would be super nice, thanks for the offer.
1200-1400 Euros is what I hoped to hear :)

I have an old monitor: BenQ GL2450 from 2013. Resolution is ‎1920x1080, refresh rate 76hz. It's decent, but I'm not opposed to an upgrade.

Thanks for the info on water cooling.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
I'm from Germany. A list would be super nice, thanks for the offer.
1200-1400 Euros is what I hoped to hear :)

I have an old monitor: BenQ GL2450 from 2013. Resolution is ‎1920x1080, refresh rate 76hz. It's decent, but I'm not opposed to an upgrade.

Thanks for the info on water cooling.
Ah you'll definitely want to get a new monitor then. Something like the LG 27GR75Q-B is pretty cheap and should get the job done.

For the tower itself, this would be a good base: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/mh2Nwg
For upgrades you're mainly looking at the GPU. Better options are the 7800XT, 7900 GRE, 4070 or 4070 Super depending on your budget.
A bigger SSD might be useful as well, like this NM790 2TB.

AIO is not necessary for this CPU, but the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III is cheap at the moment and very good.

Jul 9, 2019
Ah you'll definitely want to get a new monitor then. Something like the LG 27GR75Q-B is pretty cheap and should get the job done.

For the tower itself, this would be a good base: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/mh2Nwg
For upgrades you're mainly looking at the GPU. Better options are the 7800XT, 7900 GRE, 4070 or 4070 Super depending on your budget.
A bigger SSD might be useful as well, like this NM790 2TB.

AIO is not necessary for this CPU, but the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III is cheap at the moment and very good.

Thank you so much! That'll be super helpful.

Crisium

Oct 25, 2017
Any suggestions for this build? I'm not completely firm on the Ryzen since I usually go intel, but it is the best card for gaming right now.

I'm spending slightly above $1k, since I'm still gonna use my GPU/storage/monitors.

That's a CL36 RAM kit when CL30 is the same price. One of these kits (depending on RGB preference) is better:

These are also AMD Expo so it'll make it easier to set correct speed and timings.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
What are some of the hottest monitors right now? I need at least 120hz and I want access to HDR, preferably the newest HDR standards for as much future proofing as I can get. Not just for gaming, but for video.

I'm not sure how I'd like an ultrawide but I am looking at some.

Here's the thing. I like to do multitasking at my workstation. With a 2 or 3 monitor setup, I can use one monitor for say, my Nintendo Switch, so I have to keep those kind of connection options in mind. Not sure how I could manage something with an ultrawide, if it would be possible to play my switch on say, half or 1/3 the screen but I don't know if such an input system exists.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I know this is building a PC but I need help.

How do I truly become admin on my MS account on my PC that has W11?

and

What do I have to do to make my taskbar with the system tray icons be on my second monitor while keeping my first monitor the main? Stupid design right there. I also miss it being vertical...

Nov 14, 2017
What are some of the hottest monitors right now? I need at least 120hz and I want access to HDR, preferably the newest HDR standards for as much future proofing as I can get. Not just for gaming, but for video.

Here's the thing. I like to do multitasking at my workstation. With a 2 or 3 monitor setup, I can use one monitor for say, my Nintendo Switch, so I have to keep those kind of connection options in mind. Not sure how I could manage something with an ultrawide, if it would be possible to play my switch on say, half or 1/3 the screen but I don't know if such an input system exists.
For worthwhile HDR you need OLED or Mini-LED, so your options are limited and budget goes up. For workstation use as well you'd need to think about burn-in risk on OLED.

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021

LG refreshed their 27 inch OLED offering, and its really good. 27GS95QE-B

27" UltraGear™ OLED Gaming Monitor - 27GS95QE-B

Discover the 27" UltraGear™ OLED Gaming Monitor that features QHD Display and 240Hz Refresh Rate. Find reviews, specs, and more for 27GS95QE-B.

check RTings' review.

If you buy multiple, there is promo deal right now. 2 monitors is 10% off. 3 monitors is 20% off.

Pixio also has an OLED monitor now. Its made by KTC and is probably near exactly the same as KTC's own. Which is to say, solid. However, Pixio has a 3 year burn-in warranty.

The Quantum dot 27's are really had to get right now. And there are only two models released. DELL is light on features (and therefore not worth the current price, IMO. They don't even have a headphone jack). And the MSI stuff has a few too many user reports of issues, for my comfort.

Dobberlink

Feb 28, 2021
I'll be building a new computer this year. I usually start with my monitor of choice as that will drive my hardware requirements. I am hoping to get some reccomendations on what size, resolution and refresh rate I should be going for. I play mostly single player games (ie Dark Souls etc) and retrogames (SNES through Gamecube etc). I am thinking since the games I play are more cinematic that a 32" screen might be my best choice. Which would then lead me to picking 4k due to pixel density and screen size. What I'm unsure of is refresh rate, sould I go for something like 240hz having a high refresh rate for Retroarch and input lag - or would that be overkill? Price isn't a concern here. thanks!

Tiechie

Oct 28, 2017
I need a monitor for my gaming rig. Have about £1000 to spend. I've been looking at the Alienware 32 4K QD-OLED Gaming Monitor - AW3225QF and was wondering if anyone else has it or could recommend me something else.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I'll be building a new computer this year. I usually start with my monitor of choice as that will drive my hardware requirements. I am hoping to get some reccomendations on what size, resolution and refresh rate I should be going for. I play mostly single player games (ie Dark Souls etc) and retrogames (SNES through Gamecube etc). I am thinking since the games I play are more cinematic that a 32" screen might be my best choice. Which would then lead me to picking 4k due to pixel density and screen size. What I'm unsure of is refresh rate, sould I go for something like 240hz having a high refresh rate for Retroarch and input lag - or would that be overkill? Price isn't a concern here. thanks!

It's a really exciting time for monitors right now; specs are changing fast, outdating last year's stuff equally so. The Samsung QD-OLED (32", 4K, 240hz) and LG W-OLED (32", 4K, 240hz+ a 1080p480hz mode) have really busted the market wide open by offering true no-compromise 4K on 32" panels in flat or curved models based on your taste. The main issues are really just pricing and timing, as not all of the LG panels are out yet and stock may be an issue for you.

It's all overkill for most emulation - you could live just fine on a 1440p panel - but 4K does make integer scaling easier (everything divides into 4k easier than 1440p/1080p) and 32" is the ideal size (imho) for that pixel density, so it's hard to say no. 240hz won't give you a material advantage outside of black frame insertion, but in general it will make for a smoother panel experience.

Burn-in would be a manageable concern for you with OLED vs. IPS, but since we all survived Plasma I'm not too worried about it...

Dobberlink

Feb 28, 2021
It's a really exciting time for monitors right now; specs are changing fast, outdating last year's stuff equally so. The Samsung QD-OLED (32", 4K, 240hz) and LG W-OLED (32", 4K, 240hz+ a 1080p480hz mode) have really busted the market wide open by offering true no-compromise 4K on 32" panels in flat or curved models based on your taste. The main issues are really just pricing and timing, as not all of the LG panels are out yet and stock may be an issue for you.

It's all overkill for most emulation - you could live just fine on a 1440p panel - but 4K does make integer scaling easier (everything divides into 4k easier than 1440p/1080p) and 32" is the ideal size (imho) for that pixel density, so it's hard to say no. 240hz won't give you a material advantage outside of black frame insertion, but in general it will make for a smoother panel experience.

Burn-in would be a manageable concern for you with OLED vs. IPS, but since we all survived Plasma I'm not too worried about it...

Sweet, sounds like 32" 4k 240hz glossy flat would be my preference.

OP
OP
Crazymoogle

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Sweet, sounds like 32" 4k 240hz glossy flat would be my preference.

Optimum just did a video of interest on the matte vs. glossy (thus LG/Samsung) discussion. But the long and short of it is that there are now a variety of Samsung QD OLED (32", 4K, 240hz) and LG (32", 4K, 240hz + 1080p480) panels either out now or coming this year, so it's worth checking youtube on the topics of matte vs. glossy plus the various perks of specific companies (MSI vs. Alienware vs. LG etc etc etc)

Dobberlink

Feb 28, 2021
Optimum just did a video of interest on the matte vs. glossy (thus LG/Samsung) discussion. But the long and short of it is that there are now a variety of Samsung QD OLED (32", 4K, 240hz) and LG (32", 4K, 240hz + 1080p480) panels either out now or coming this year, so it's worth checking youtube on the topics of matte vs. glossy plus the various perks of specific companies (MSI vs. Alienware vs. LG etc etc etc)

Great, will do. I'm pretty pro glossy just due to being able to control my lighting very well in this room.

unknown_nut

Sep 12, 2022
I picked the LG 32GS95UE this round for OLED monitors. Had the AD3423DW and man it's a magnet for smudged and scratches really easily.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Never thought I'd be back in the PC building world, but really feeling the itch with Red Dead 2 and Fallout 3&NV. I'm not really into playing any blazing hot new games, mostly just playing older games with mods. I used to build PCs about 15ish years ago and I'm not an enthusiast anymore.

My use case is to hook my PC up to my TV (4K, average roku TV) for like 99% of the time I play it.

Do you think that a $1500-$2000 build could run Red Dead 2 at a solid 4K, 60fps (don't mind the occassional drop), on ultra-ish settings? I'd also be down for 1400p at 60fps if it made a considerable difference on performance.

I'm watching this video and it seems like a 4070 could do it:

www.youtube.com

RTX 4070 SUPER - Red Dead Redemption 2

RDR2 running on the RTX 4070 Super 12GB graphics card at 1080p, 1440p, 4K, 8K and 10K resolutions, using the Max and Ultra settings!⏱ Timestamps ⏱Intro, Spec...

Anybody have thoughts on a prebuilt Dell XPS like this:

$2299

Processor ‎5.4 GHz core_i9
RAM ‎32 GB DDR5
Memory Speed ‎4800 MHz
Hard Drive ‎SSD
Graphics Coprocessor ‎NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070
Chipset Brand ‎NVIDIA
Card Description ‎Dedicated
Graphics Card Ram Size ‎12 GB
Wireless Type ‎Bluetooth, 802.11ax
Number of USB 2.0 Ports ‎2
Number of USB 3.0 Ports ‎7
Other Technical Details
Brand ‎Dell
Series ‎Dell XPS 8960 Desktop
Item model number ‎XPS8960-9551BLK-PUS
Hardware Platform ‎PC
Operating System ‎Windows 11 Pro
Item Weight ‎19 pounds
Product Dimensions ‎16.81 x 6.81 x 14.68 inches
Item Dimensions LxWxH ‎16.81 x 6.81 x 14.68 inches
Color ‎Black
Processor Brand ‎Intel
Number of Processors ‎24
Flash Memory Size ‎1 TB
Hard Drive Interface ‎Solid State

I know building my own using discrete parts would save money, but I'm okay buying it prebuilt and with Windows 11. I also prefer simple cases, I hate lights and glass and things that look like they're from alien spaceships. I don't care about the size of it for the most part and will likely play with headphones while in a chair so the fan is not a big deal either.

I'd prefer to buy through Amazon because I have points and gift cards, so it'd take like $500 or $600 off the top.

Last edited:

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Never thought I'd be back in the PC building world, but really feeling the itch with Red Dead 2 and Fallout 3&NV. I'm not really into playing any blazing hot new games, mostly just playing older games with mods. I used to build PCs about 15ish years ago and I'm not an enthusiast anymore.

My use case is to hook my PC up to my TV (4K, average roku TV) for like 99% of the time I play it.

Do you think that a $1500-$2000 build could run Red Dead 2 at a solid 4K, 60fps (don't mind the occassional drop), on ultra-ish settings? I'd also be down for 1400p at 60fps if it made a considerable difference on performance.

www.youtube.com

RTX 4070 SUPER - Red Dead Redemption 2

RDR2 running on the RTX 4070 Super 12GB graphics card at 1080p, 1440p, 4K, 8K and 10K resolutions, using the Max and Ultra settings!⏱ Timestamps ⏱Intro, Spec...

Anybody have thoughts on a prebuilt Dell XPS like this:

I know building my own using discrete parts would save money, but I'm okay buying it prebuilt and with Windows 11. I also prefer simple cases, I hate lights and glass and things that look like they're from alien spaceships. I don't care about the size of it for the most part and will likely play with headphones while in a chair so the fan is not a big deal either.

I'd prefer to buy through Amazon because I have points and gift cards, so it'd take like $500 or $600 off the top.

Red Dead supports DLSS so you should be targeting high refresh at 4K with a modern GPU.

$2K is a healthy budget, and I'd be wanting a 4080 Super, that Dell is really under specced for the money, air cooling with a 13900K is a red flag and Dell are notorious for shipping motherboards with insufficient VRM cooling for the high power draw Intel CPUs. It's also crippled with slow memory, it won't perform like a 13900K you see in benchmarks. I really can't stress enough that you don't want anything to do with that PC.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead supports DLSS so you should be targeting high refresh at 4K with a modern GPU.

$2K is a healthy budget, and I'd be wanting a 4080 Super, that Dell is really under specced for the money, air cooling with a 13900K is a red flag and Dell are notorious for shipping motherboards with insufficient VRM cooling for the high power draw Intel CPUs. I really can't stress enough that you don't want anything to do with that PC.

Nice! Thanks for the feedback!

Seems like all of the 4080 Super builds are pretty pricey, going from that sub-$2000 up into the $2600-$3200+ range. If I go to some of the prebuilts on CyberpowerPC (like this model for $2200), they all pretty much have the 4070 Super or some 4070 card.

Do you think to jump up to the 4080 line, 4080TI Super, etc, I'd have to be looking at ~$2600-$3000?

macindc

Oct 27, 2017

Just for some more anec-data, I just finished playing RDR2 on my system (5800X3D with a 3080) and average framerates playing at 4K with DLSS on and everything else on Ultra were in the high 60s - low 70s. (Snowy areas would drop to the mid 50s, but otherwise it held up well, and I have a Freesync monitor so I never really noticed while playing.)

A 4070 should be just fine.