• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why no gloves.

The hands are the weirdest part and animators know that so that's why they gave him gloves. It's a similar reason for Mickey Mouse.

Blegh.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of that game where Sonic turned into a Werewolf. You just know Sega is going to think it's a great idea to use this design in a future Sonic game too.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

That's a hairy naked person wearing nothing but a Sonic costume head and red running shoes....

Seriously, right now it looks very uncanny valley levels of weird. Like they're trying too hard to be realistic.

Detective Pikachu this ain't. Now that movie knows how to balance realism with the original designs (at least based on what we've seen so far).

I'll still reserve final judgement for the final look. But right now, this looks like nightmare fuel.

Nishastra

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a little dude wearing a Sonic head.

Also, if you look closely at the head, it looks like he's got beady little eyes.

And the quills are just hair.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This is gonna be a blast to watch while being blasted.

It's gonna be Resident Evil movie franchise level of cringe and edginess. Hopefully worse.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way his right hand is poised to choke the viewer really sells this as a fun kids movie

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
How did Hollywood get what appears to be almost every single Pokemon looking good (perhaps excluding Jigglypuff) but as soon as I see a silhouette of Sonic I know it's fucked up and horrible?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
How did they not learn from Detective PIkachu only a few weeks ago?

Just drop the trailer. Rip the band aid off and let people see everything at once. Don't tease the CGI fur design with a shadowy poster. If they did that for Pikachu, reaction would have been much more negative.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

The most challenging part of Sonic's updated design isn't revealed in this teaser: his eyes. The filmmakers struggled with how best to depict Sonic's eyes because often he's only seen with one, and that wouldn't translate well to the live-action movie.

"I don't think SEGA was entirely happy with the eye decision, but these sorts of things you go, 'It's going to look weird if we don't do this.' But everything is a discussion, and that's kind of the goal, which is to only change what's necessary and stay true to the rest of it," said Miller. "He's not going to feel like a Pixar character would because I don't think that's the right aesthetic to make it feel like part of our world."

"Sonic Boom" Sega wasn't happy with the design decision? I can't wait to laugh at this.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It actually make a good ResetEra avatar material.

Just crop the picture & the edges with transparent background & viola.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He looks like a hairy naked man wearing only shoes and a Sonic helmet. Can't say I like it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way he's silhouetted and the kinetic action implied in the pose plus the weird focus on showing that he's wearing shoes and seemingly nothing else really make this seem like a horror movie poster. I can't get over how badly this is designed. How many people saw that and though "yes, this is exactly what we should release to get people excited to see our movie".

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this earlier and even though I knew about the movie I thought it was another fanmade poster, haha.