• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
First one is the Xbox One icon, second is from a wallpaper and the third is from Nintendo website.

a3612a23-c790-4f17-854us63.png
skyrim-logo-hd-wallpames1f.jpg
sq_nswitch_theeldersct4s65.jpg

I'm agree with other users, Nintendo must allow to choose custom covers like Apple some day. It's impossible that everyone is happy.

Having them not budge on their guidelines rather than being a mere suggestion for best practices would probably go a long way.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a dream of me whinning about Metroid prime 4's icon. I blame this dumbass thread.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Few things are more metal than a skeleton demon with shoulder-mounted rocket launchers

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I always thought this thread was crazy and an overreaction about nothing. Then I downloaded the Heroes of the Monkey Tavern demo...

Get that icon off my Switch. I didn't even try the game. I just want to be rid of the icon. And I won't consider purchasing the game unless it's changed.

It's almost as if the icon was designed to be talked about in this thread.. Actually.. well played beer monkey.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I uninstalled Sonic Mania specifically because of the horrible icon.

Pisses me off that Nintendo even allows publishers to do that shit.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nintendo has to start cracking down on this shit. These muppets are not giving it a second thought and just thinking 'iphone icon'.

It's like back in the old video rental days, imagine having just a picture of some nondescript character as box art with no title or context...
But if it's on your Switch, you know what it is, so not really the same thing.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
But if it's on your Switch, you know what it is, so not really the same thing.
No, what if you share a Switch, or even in 2-3 years when browsing your own library and you might have 50 games. How would you remember which random indie pixel game has which random indie pixel icon when all random indie pixel games start to blur together after a while. And of course as mentioned how many Sonic games will just have a Sonic head...

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No, what if you share a Switch, or even in 2-3 years when browsing your own library and you might have 50 games. How would you remember which random indie pixel game has which random indie pixel icon when all random indie pixel games start to blur together after a while. And of course as mentioned how many Sonic games will just have a Sonic head...
You move the cursor box over it and it says what the game is? The Sonic Force and Sonic Mania icons are very different, so I don't know. You tell me?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
You move the cursor box over it and it says what the game is? The Sonic Force and Sonic Mania icons are very different, so I don't know. You tell me?
Have you read the thread? This has been gone over many, many times. We want consistency. We want at-a-glance clarity. We want the guidelines followed.

Highlighting is a workaround, a solution for a problem that should not exist if they simply followed the guidelines.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Have you read the thread? This has been gone over many, many times. We want consistency. We want at-a-glance clarity. We want the guidelines followed.

Highlighting is a workaround, a solution for a problem that should not exist if they simply followed the guidelines.
I don't think it's a problem that does exist, just one people want to imagine does. I can't imagine any people looking at an icon on their Switch and having no idea what the game is they put on it. I think this is one of the pettiest things I've ever seen the gaming community complain about, but then again I don't have so much free time I hang out on the Switch home screen and stare at the icons.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I don't think it's a problem that does exist, just one people want to imagine does. I can't imagine any people looking at an icon on their Switch and having no idea what the game is they put on it. I think this is one of the pettiest things I've ever seen the gaming community complain about, but then again I don't have so much free time I hang out on the Switch home screen and stare at the icons.
Why have you come to a thread about this topic then, just to say the topic is pointless? Because in your opinion it doesn't matter and/or is no problem at all so therefore everyone must agree?

I can't imagine any people looking at an icon on their Switch and having no idea what the game is they put on it.
I can very well imagine it. Say that pixel girl game gets two sequels. In a few years will I remember which one has which icon if they are all just a variation of 'pixel girl'?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
is this the first time that a lot of fuss has been made over console menu icons? Is it something Nintendo did wrong with the UI or is is something they did right that makes people want for only the best icons?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
is this the first time that a lot of fuss has been made over console menu icons? Is it something Nintendo did wrong with the UI or is is something they did right that makes people want for only the best icons?
I guess it's just because they're so big and visible on the menu at all times, the ugly icons are kind of distracting

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The Switch UI puts a huge emphasis on the icons, they are larger and more prominent than any other system I have seen, to the point that I think 'game cover' is a much more accurate description of them than 'icon'. The entire main portion of the system UI is a cover flow of your game library, kind of like the NES/SNES Mini but even larger.

So yeah, they are more prominent and have a clear design purpose - as the covers of your game library. Essentially digital box art. The system assumes this and does not show the game title in text unless the title is highlighted.
Therefore bad and good ones stick out more than in systems that don't emphasise the cover/icon as much. This is likely why some developers are delivering not fit for purpose art here, because they haven't adapted it for this system and have just made an iPhone style icon without thinking that this is a cover flow environment, not a desktop style environment.

That said, if it were not for Snake Pass changing from a game cover style tile to a phone icon style tile, this issue may not have come up as hard or as quickly.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I never thought something like this would bother me but I've just made the mistake (game is great, icon isn't) of buying Severed.

Wow it's so frustrating, an icon of an arm sandwiched between the beautiful icons of Mario Kart and BotW pisses me off.

EVAC434

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading though the thread. First, I just got Fire Emblem Warriors myself and the icon is kinda buggging me. I wish they would use the actual boxart for the icon, it kinda sticks out now. Not as bad as the other bad ones, but still, could be much better imo.

The Skyrim and DOOM icons.. I don't know. I'm not to happy with them. I think the Skyrim XBOX ONE icon is miles better! And they should've used the actual DOOM boxart for the icon. Would have been great to have that piece of art on the Switch homescreen. They will probably not change it, but I'm secretly hoping they do.

And I'm more than relieved the Xenoblade icon is the same as the boxart. Love that piece of art and I'm getting more hyped everyday!

ps. call me crazy but the icons actually influence my decisions to get a game or not..

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Was pleased to see that Brave Dungeon + Dark WItch's Story: COMBAT got a stealth icon update recently.

Original:

oxd0_d03ubwvnqbsesjn5jzj5l.png

New:

23511035_197059486295f2kko.jpg

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
So, what do people think of the Hulu icon?

Even though it stands out, I don't mind it too much. There is a nice gradient to it and at least the name is on the icon. I tend to prefer having the name and no-art vs. full-art and no name.

DOUKoYkV4AAOgrY.jpg:large

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sonic Forces has an excellent icon. It's the full cover art adjusted to ratio and outshines Mania's to an almost embarassing degree, too bad that I can't say the same for the game.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home

Even though it stands out, I don't mind it too much. There is a nice gradient to it and at least the name is on the icon. I tend to prefer having the name and no-art vs. full-art and no name.

As it seems like media apps won't (unfortunately) get their own section and will live amongst everything else then I like this icon.
It provides a huge contrast between a (typical) game icon so you can quickly classify/identify it at a glance. Sounds weird considering the thread but hopefully all other media apps have similarly basic art.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
As it seems like media apps won't (unfortunately) get their own section and will live amongst everything else then I like this icon.
It provides a huge contrast between a (typical) game icon so you can quickly classify/identify it at a glance. Sounds weird considering the thread but hopefully all other media apps have similarly basic art.
Good point, it is basically a 'folder' icon - it's not an individual title, but a portal to the (movie) titles on that service.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia

I like it. It is identifiable, which is a tile number one concern.
I wonder what kind of "art" the streaming app could use for their tiles. It's not like they have a mascor or something along that line.

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Skyrim icon would be okay, if it only had the title on it. However, considering Bethesda's history with glitches, I say we can expect them to change it in one of the inevitable future patches if enough people ask them.

I wish Nintendo would give us an option to just upload a .jpg, perhaps via Micro SD Card and update it ourselves. Then people wouldn't need to harass developers because they don't like the .jpg they chose instead.
I can't think of one person who did that here or on NeoGAF.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I always thought this thread was crazy and an overreaction about nothing. Then I downloaded the Heroes of the Monkey Tavern demo...

Get that icon off my Switch. I didn't even try the game. I just want to be rid of the icon. And I won't consider purchasing the game unless it's changed.

It's almost as if the icon was designed to be talked about in this thread.. Actually.. well played beer monkey.
Hahaha I did exactly the same thing. Worst icon ever. And normally I really don't care about icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.