• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
That new Kingdom New Lands icon is amazing. I also don't mind the Doom icon. The box art would've looked better but it has cool looking art and the game title, so it's still good.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
qh5vIBeDq154brdGPpuSpkYHqSqbhnYGq6JNm4humaA.jpg

Rocket League icon from Reddit...
I adore the LA Noire icon. It might be my favourite yet

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. This gave me some inspiration to make a not-so-bland CrunchyRoll app icon for Switch
lZ21tHU.png

Here's an alternate take:
xk0Qw01.png

(Which one do you guys prefer?)

Edit: A version without the Home Screen:
ZMR04lW.png

i3m3f9Q.png

You DARE make an icon of Crunchyroll on Switch using the mascot... and NOT use Kokosac's (WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven) version of the character? ;)

CIOCHKrUsAAer1N.png

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I like this one more.
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

You DARE make an icon of Crunchyroll on Switch using the mascot... and NOT use Kokosac's (WarioWare, Rhythm Heaven) version of the character? ;)

CIOCHKrUsAAer1N.png
Haha! I didn't know this existed. This would make a nice fit, yes, but there might be some mixed massages in using it since the design seems more like a promotional thing. It's like seeing the Splatoon icon with Squid Girl/Ika Musume on the front instead of the main Inkling girl.

I posted both designs on Crunchyroll's suggestion forum. Hopefully staff will read/consider it.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Not great. That logo clashes with the art and the whole thing looks messy and incomplete. I guess they originally designed the icon without the logo but then slapped it on for a quick fix when they caught wind of the icon controversy. Oh well, it's still the lesser of two evils so I'll take it.

Last edited:

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Not great. That logo clashes with the art and the whole thing looks messy and incomplete. I guess they originally designed the icon without the logo but then slapped it on for a quick fix when they caught wind of the icon controversy. Oh well, it's still the lesser of two evils so I'll take it.

You're right, lol. I was thinking, this almost looks like a nice icon, but it's just off in several ways.

Deleted member 18807

TBH I'm much more a fan of simplistic icons. For instance, I think Sonic Mania's is very nicely done, and the ARMS Testpunch icon is more interesting than the release version. IMO The second Snake Pass icon is also much more impressive.

I actually like Galvan's edits LOL!
I kinda wish the ARMS official icon was either just the game's main ARM
cdmSFlq.png

or even Biff's mugshot
lmBHApfm.jpg

Meanwhile, the Mario Kart icon could simply be the newly-purple-colored Deluxe 8 icon:
wNwE77q.png

And BotW would be awesome if it was simply the logo's first letter decorated with the simbolic Silent Princess!
81ef11ed876eea6466f1caad1325230ad5500c40_hq.jpg

Ahhh! These are so much more harmonic and organized <3

I really hope Nintendo's guidelines are much less of a rule and more of a suggestion, because I'd rather to see more iconic, less "boxart"-y icons on my home screen.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
TBH I'm much more a fan of simplistic icons. For instance, I think Sonic Mania's is very nicely done, and the ARMS Testpunch icon is more interesting than the release version. IMO The second Snake Pass icon is also much more impressive.

I actually like Galvan's edits LOL!
I kinda wish the ARMS official icon was either just the game's main ARM
cdmSFlq.png

or even Biff's mugshot
lmBHApfm.jpg

Meanwhile, the Mario Kart icon could simply be the newly-purple-colored Deluxe 8 icon:
wNwE77q.png

And BotW would be awesome if it was simply the logo's first letter decorated with the simbolic Silent Princess!
81ef11ed876eea6466f1caad1325230ad5500c40_hq.jpg

Ahhh! These are so much more harmonic and organized <3

I really hope Nintendo's guidelines are much less of a rule and more of a suggestion, because I'd rather to see more iconic, less "boxart"-y icons on my home screen.

I think you are in the minority. Most of us want the more detailed art and titles. The thread exists primarily because people don't like the smart phone app, simplistic style that some developers were using. There is more real estate to have a box art type of presentation and logo. Nintendo's guidelines obviously aren't a rule, because many developers deviated, but it looks so bad or mismatched in comparison to Nintendo's style that people have been complaining. Obviously there is no accounting for taste and its subjective when it comes to art, but I hope developers just follow Nintendo's lead for consistency (and my personal preference).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
could easily be improved with a white stroke around the outline. makes things much more readable

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
simplistic designs can be done well, but they are few and far between. I think the Sonic Mania icon is fine personally (though I agree with people who think it looks too "generic Sonic" and would be tough to differentiate from a different Sonic game). If BotW's icon were just that logo as shown in the above post, I think I'd be okay with that as well. I just want the icons to look good, is all. And they should be distinctive and, excuse my vocabulary, iconic.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
22791752_1958348007710245_8357756688042445829_o.jpg

The problem is the juxtiposition, like in the example above. That's why I think its better if developers follow Nintendo's guidance. Sonic to me isn't bad, but it definitely pops out as different as in the example above. And of course its subjective and different art style, but man the other icons just blow away the Sonic one in this example. The simple, stand out design used by Sonic would be great for a game icon on your phone, but the other style seems better suited to the Switch medium.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
22791752_1958348007710245_8357756688042445829_o.jpg

The problem is the juxtiposition, like in the example above. That's why I think its better if developers follow Nintendo's guidance. Sonic to me isn't bad, but it definitely pops out as different as in the example above. And of course its subjective and different art style, but man the other icons just blow away the Sonic one in this example. The simple, stand out design used by Sonic would be great for a game icon on your phone, but the other style seems better suited to the Switch medium.
That's fair, and a good point

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I can take this idea and run with it, if you want, but there are a couple more games I want to see icons for first, if it's OK with you. Revelations 1 and 2 are of great interest to me. I love those games.

That's a great call. The trailers were amazing. It might be a fun little thing to do. It could even wait until January if you want to include the whole year. =)

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
SQ_NSwitch_SuperMarioOdyssey.jpg

It should've been this, the chosen icon is poorly composed, has that bizarre red section that serves no purpose and an awkwardly placed logo.

To your question, I love this Odyssey art, but I feel like Nintendo didn't choose it because the edges would blend too much with the background for those that have their theme set to white (as you can see in the quote).

moose84

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually hate the Odyssey icon, and the MK8D one for that matter. Waaaay too cluttered and busy.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I think my SIOTY (Switch Icon of the Year) would be a tossup between MK8D and SteamWorld Dig 2. Hmm...

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
That Superbeat Xonic logo is nice. I like the simplicity of it and it least it doesn't have that ridiculously proportioned girl on the retail cover.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
In addition to serving as a voice to developers when icons go bad, it is fun to celebrate the good ones. I really like pokken's as well. The new SWD2 icon was also fantastic looking.

I'm not sure if this is easily accesible, but I wonder if it's possible to pull all the icons from e-shop into one directory.

Edit: maybe there can be a category for most improved.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone give me the following icons? I'd like to open the OP with the following as examples of good ones, although the "Academy" (you people) will be free to vote on whatever you want.

But as examples, I can open with:

- Super Mario Odyssey
- Breath of the Wild
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Pokken Tournament DX
- Mario + Rabbids
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- ARMS
- Splatoon 2
- SteamWorld Dig 2
- Golf Story
- VVVVVV
- L.A. Noire
- Kingdom: New Lands
- Super Bomberman R
- Thumper

Feel free to suggest other examples to go in the OP. I think I'll launch it at the end of the month, since we'll know what RER1 and RER2 look like by then.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We need a big infographic with like all the icons. I know tolkir has been posting them in the eshop thread but I'm not sure if they've ever been compiled properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.