• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This should be on the hall of shame...

gLJWits.png

Oh, COME ON SON. Didn't know about this. It's not full-on Hellblade horrendous, but let me be the first to ask publishers this simple question in the lovely new thread:

Why. Is. This. So. Difficult?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't get the fuss about the Dragon's Dogma icon. It's more than fine, looks cool. Would the other one from the NOE site be better? Sure. Is the current one bad? Nah.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Didn't know that. I thought it was the same. I was searching for the icon image and stumbled on the NOE website.

Anyway, more reason for Dragon's Dogma go to the shame list. -.-
How does the Resident Evil 4 one looks like?
That's why we need Robin's site more prominently featured in the OP.^^ I still recommend a screencap of some sorts XD (maybe put it at the beginning of the thread, not the end). It's sort of a corner-stone of this whole endeavor. Kyuuji ^^

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Definitely feel like Dragon's Dogma fits more in the proposed "Missed Opportunities" section for icons that are better on the eShop. I think the current one is pretty unattractive but it's still above others of issue and has the title, even if the web version is far superior.

That's why we need Robin's site more prominently featured in the OP.^^ I still recommend a screencap of some sorts XD (maybe put it at the beginning of the thread, not the end). It's sort of a corner-stone of this whole endeavor. Kyuuji ^^
Agreed, there were a few more amends than I'd planned between additions and suggestions but I want to make a feature of the icon showdown and listings below the main banner. Pretty tight time wise for the next few days (plan to update over weekends ongoing) but will see if I can have those done as a priority before I hit the hay tonight.

Love it. Great job, OP. You are doing God's work.
🥰

Last edited:

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Had to check Brothers' icon as quickly as possible, had a little panic in my head that it would just be the two boys and no logo, but whew.

2306.png

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Thankfully had an all day meeting in London tomorrow (w/ commute ~5:30am start to ~9:30pm finish) cancelled in favour of more design work so I'll be at home tomorrow. Still have a busy day but takes the pressure off tonight and means I've the following plan for current amands/changes:

- - Planned Changes - -

Tomorrow:
  • Promo block for Icon Showdown
  • Promo block for Icon Listing
  • Add the following to Transformed:
    • DOOM
    • Snake Pass
  • Add the following to Hall of Shame:
    • VOEZ
This weekend:
  • "Icon of the Month" section covering the most loved icon that released in April
Backlog:
  • "Missed Opportunities" section for icons that have better equivalents on the store than on the home screen
    • This is where Dragon's Dogma is currently projected to sit
  • Competitions – likely around giving the most liked title/icon of the month away the following month but suggestions welcome

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the RE4 logo is truly awful. I don't know why Capcom think that that image is good, considering that it's the same that is used on other consoles and is also the pre-completion title screen image. At least for the title screen it's 2 button presses before it's gone but it's just a bad image now permanently on my Switch home. Ugh.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit disheartening how little reverence Capcom has for its best title. Each release of RE4 should be a joyous occasion. It's a crown jewel in the gaming pantheon, but Capcom just kind of farts it out, lol.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Thankfully had an all day meeting in London tomorrow (w/ commute ~5:30am start to ~9:30pm finish) cancelled in favour of more design work so I'll be at home tomorrow. Still have a busy day but takes the pressure off tonight and means I've the following plan for current amands/changes:

- - Planned Changes - -

Tomorrow:
  • Promo block for Icon Showdown
  • Promo block for Icon Listing
  • Add the following to Transformed:
    • DOOM
    • Snake Pass
  • Add the following to Hall of Shame:
    • VOEZ
This weekend:
  • "Icon of the Month" section covering the most loved icon that released in April
Backlog:
  • "Missed Opportunities" section for icons that have better equivalents on the store than on the home screen
    • This is where Dragon's Dogma is currently projected to sit
  • Competitions – likely around giving the most liked title/icon of the month away the following month but suggestions welcome
Please don't forget to fix the banner text for the light theme.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Please don't forget to fix the banner text for the light theme.
Good shout, that'll be one for the weekend but forgot to add it to list.
Currently plan to have a nice flag/cloth/banner behind the text. Like the old medieval style ones, black with gold trim.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
I just saw the icon of Dragon Quest Builders 2 and it's very pretty. I was kind of worried because the icon of the first game, it's not bad, it has a logo... But it looks weird.

Myriotes

Jan 30, 2018
Germany
I nominate DQB 1 for missed opportunity.

Image if you search for it (not even on the product site itself):

SQ_NSwitch_DragonQuestBuilders_image500w.jpg

Image that is on the homescreen:

504.png

May 29, 2018
Bloodstained: Rituals of the Night is up for pre-purchase, but I'm not seeing it on Robin's site. Do you have to manually add these or are they automatically added to the site?

Jan 25, 2018
London
Velocity 2X is another logoless icon. I really do feel that someone should send a copy of this to each developer that's game/icon is featured in this fabulous article.

Other than the aforementioned Velocity 2X, my 'most wanted to be updated' list includes Gris, Retro City Rampage DX, Severed and Sonic Mania. Each of which frustrates me so much!

I'm also not a fan of the latest Slime-san icon. It's first two iterations were gorgeous, but its third and final acid yellow update is absolutely horrid.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Hi buddy, is there any way of getting HD versions of these icons at all? I usually get mine from Abload.de (Galerie: Switch Icons 2019), but it hasn't been updated since April 28th!
Check the link for the ranking at the bottom of the thread - it has all the icons. I'm working on updating the main page to make it more clear, just been a bit busier than I'd planned.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Check the link for the ranking at the bottom of the thread - it has all the icons. I'm working on updating the main page to make it more clear, just been a bit busier than I'd planned.

PK means 1024 x 1024, the original resolution. I only store at 400 x 400 as a space/size compromise (they're only displayed at 256 x 256 on an actual Switch, after all)

Also the full ranking's page can be a bit of a slog for some browsers, it's way too big now and something I need to solve. Best to use the search box top right of the main page.

The Pixel King I have a tool that may be of help, I'll PM you as it's SUPER SEKRIT.

Last edited:

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I'd happily spend $30 to have Resident Evil 4 on my Switch if the icon wasn't trash. Fix the icon, Capcom!