Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Oct 25, 2017
We JUST had this thread few hours ago and it was locked.
No we did not. The other thread was about Sony worried about sabotage of console parity but it was closed since it can be discussed in the OT similar to this one that can also be discussed in the OT which is where it originated from.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
While plausible, I wouldn't trust Lulu as far as I could throw her when it comes to this merger.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
But there is. Lots, even in gaming. There are quite a few quotes from 7th gen with decision makers saying they will not support the Wii for obvious "feelings" over better business reasons. There was the interview in NextGen when the head of Square said there was no way that they would ever port FF7 to Saturn.

Heck, I'll add the infamous FF7 "execution ad" that was put out which was a jab, and definitely coming from a grudge, at Nintendo for sticking to cartridges during the N64 days.

RV77XRyWWn4A4jErc8YmVb-970-80.jpg.webp

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I love when people post news and every other post is some highly original variation of "shocker!!" but there's never any mention in the OP or link that says, like, you will be shocked to read this, or I was surprised they said this, etc.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that a company wants to stop a direct competitor from buying a huge brand that brings in a lot of eyes to their own company. I'm also shocked that a company wants to stop a merger as opposed to signing a deal with a direct competitor when stopping the merger would be better for their business.

I'm still confused what exactly folks are thinking Jim Ryan or Sony are supposed to be doing here? Rolling out the red carpet and letting it sail through out of good feelings and friendly competition or something? If that's what they expect then they're living in a different reality.

And no it doesn't matter what you think of Sonys practices or deals or how it effects Xbox, literally none of that changes that Sony is doing what's best for Sony in trying to stop the deal and that's exactly what they should do.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Why is he so focused on the business operations and revenue generation of PlayStation? Why doesn't he care about the gamers?

Sep 6, 2022
That is not how a business who have to answer to shareholders works though. Sure the execs would have a grudge but at the end of the day their job is to make money. The shareholders would probably have them axed if they work counter to that. Which working against a company that has 80% of the market would be counter to.
This right here.

You don't get to be a multi billion dollar company by letting your feelings get in the way of business.

If someone says "I am not working with the market leader anymore" the shareholders will respond with "Alright, bet. Get this clown out of here and find someone who is serious about making us more money"

OP
OP
KamenSenshi

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Heck, I'll add the infamous FF7 "execution ad" that was put out which was a jab, and definitely coming from a grudge, at Nintendo for sticking to cartridges during the N64 days.

RV77XRyWWn4A4jErc8YmVb-970-80.jpg.webp
I actually had forgotten about this ad. They really did use to just call each other out in public back then, lol.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Well of course. In the long run/grand scheme of things, a deal, even a 10 year one, is a drop in the bucket compared with the power Microsoft would wield after the deal is up.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
Activision will do what the shareholders want; the only thing they want is money.

Which is going to make things even more interesting when it comes to marketing deal renewals knowing how vital COD is to Sony's business (as stated by Sony themselves). Methinks the price of their vital input game may have just gone up.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see this in the thread, can I get some context for this?
Her quote on the issues at ABK:
"The company was not perfect," she said. "It's a company of over 10,000 people. Things did happen to real human women." But, she said, some of it had "snowballed" in the press and she decided the company was "good at its core."
She also tried union busting less than a month into her job at ABK with the threat of withholding raises:

View: https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1584635013852966912

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Why people talk like it's only Sony the only who do this when everyone under the sun does it?

I don't like it when ANYONE does it. If this was Phil saying this, my reply would have been "Yes, Phil. You're right. It's much better when you take beloved franchises away from other consoles that have been part of gaming since gaming has been gaming"

I can't stand the practice. Period. What I'm not getting is that MS is willing to play ball this time around and this dude is just being a prick because.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't like it when ANYONE does it. If this was Phil saying this, my reply would have been "Yes, Phil. You're right. It's much better when you take beloved franchises away from other consoles that have been part of gaming since gaming has been gaming"

I can't stand the practice. Period. What I'm not getting is that MS is willing to play ball this time around and this dude is just being a prick because.
Sony and MS have different perspectives on whether this deal should be allowed. No amount of CoD for X years is going to bridge that gap. That isn't playing ball from the POV of the other side.

Also, who gives a fuck about either of these dudes being pricks, honestly lol.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
I hope this will serve as evidence for those who think executives in large companies are your friends. They're not. They are all trying to maximize value for the company and shareholders. You're not likely one of them.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I see this in the thread, can I get some context for this?

View: https://twitter.com/Shannon_Liao/status/1584635013852966912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1584635013852966912%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
"The company was not perfect," she said. "It's a company of over 10,000 people. Things did happen to real human women." But, she said, some of it had "snowballed" in the press and she decided the company was "good at its core."

She posts a lot of weird, misleading shit about this deal in particular on twitter. Too much to bother linking. If someone else corroborates, then it's real, but until then, yeah.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I mean, there were obvious warning flags throughout the M & A process and with Sony not returning calls or emails to ABK or MS showed that they were beyond reproach and repair. Thanks for "officially" confirming this Lulu, I guess

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't know what the outrage is here. Did we think Sony gave their blessings or something?

This wasn't a private convo either right, it was during the Brussels (closed) conference?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I hope this will serve as evidence for those who think executives in large companies are your friends. They're not. They are all trying to maximize value for the company and shareholders. You're not likely one of them.

While I agree with you, I don't think there was any worry that anyone on the forum saw Jim Ryan as a friend :p

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I suspect if this deal doesn't go through Activision are going to have a hefty grudge against Sony. I'm not a fan of such a huge deal- and the way it's played out has been extremely messy.
Some will argue this deal has goodness behind it, but let's be honest, it's already been pretty terrible for the industry lol. It's radicalizing and engendering a lot of corporate activism, general negativity/resentment, and console warring. The likes of which we haven't really seen since... well, it's pretty much an industry first insofar as a global regulatory response and the ensuing legal battles.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
He's right. It's much better when somebody pays to have a game exclusively on your platform for a year or 2.

You have to admire the balls on this guy. I wasn't wanting this deal to go through originally. Now I do.

He absolutely is right no matter what you think of their deals or what it does to Xbox. Sony aren't there to roll a red carpet out for direct competitors to buy up big franchises and companies they do business with and make money from. That's not Sonys job here, nor is it Sonys job to accept a deal that is worse for them than trying to stop the merger outright. You don't have to like it, or like the deals they make, but Jim Ryan is literally doing his job here and just because he's stating that outright doesn't change that he's doing his job.

Likewise it's Microsoft's job to counter that and make a better argument for regulators to decide who is right in the matter. Whoever does that is going to get what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.