• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jokab

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tell me witcher . . . . who's your one true love?

Geralt:
hD0jBGZ.jpg
I've only read the first book and played the games but Geralt doesn't really care about his horse does he? Doesn't he switch them out frequently and just calls all of them Roach?

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
Looks awesome, really hope they can pull it off.

Don't be another GoT final, please be good.

The books are complete, so it is harder to mess up. Although, that trailer actually hyped me a lot less. I was expecting all of the short stories from the first season. This has the look of being more streamlined into a linear telling to align with the later books. Hopefully, they are using the last short as a kind of over arching story line for the season with flashbacks to the other short stories. And it can't be said enough that the Nilfgaard armor is a huge design mistake.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The books are complete, so it is harder to mess up. Although, that trailer actually hyped me a lot less. I was expecting all of the short stories from the first season. This has the look of being more streamlined into a linear telling to align with the later books. Hopefully, they are using the last short as a kind of over arching story line for the season with flashbacks to the other short stories. And it can't be said enough that the Nilfgaard armor is a huge design mistake.

Lauren has said that there is enough material to cover like 7 seasons so I don't think she's trying to rush through the material.

Devanous

Oct 27, 2017
The more i see of this show the worse it gets, the armor, production etc... I will watch it but im expecting the after life kind of bad

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Interesting. Thanks. I wonder where does Vilgefortz fit into that.

Why would he fit into this season? He doesn't even show up until the fourth book (fifth, if you count Season of Storms) as far as I can recall, and I just finished reading these books (except Season of Storms, which I'm currently reading).

And I'm surprised Triss is even in this season. She doesn't really feature until the third book, though I can see them bringing her forward along with the rest of the Ciri storyline. Regardless, Triss is a really minor character in this story, which is going to confuse those who've only played the games.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
looks exciting. can't wait to watch it.

i couldn't enjoy the books so hope this does a better job.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Why would he fit into this season? He doesn't even show up until the fourth book (fifth, if you count Season of Storms) as far as I can recall, and I just finished reading these books (except Season of Storms, which I'm currently reading).

And I'm surprised Triss is even in this season. She doesn't really feature until the third book, though I can see them bringing her forward along with the rest of the Ciri storyline. Regardless, Triss is a really minor character in this story, which is going to confuse those who've only played the games.

Well they are expanding on the background of many characters, one of them is Vilgefortz

New The Witcher stills
2019%2F12%2Fwitcher_5df21b94996f6.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FGRADED_Witcher_103_Unit_01284_5df21ba314294.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FWitcher_101_Unit_05251_RT_5df21ba0cf5f7.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FGRADED_Witcher_102_Unit_00883_5df21ba55d8c5.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FGRADED_Witcher_101_Unit_01756_5df21bab5085d.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FWitcher_101_Unit_08547_RT_5df21b9cf3120.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FWitcher_104_Unit_00881_RT_5df21b9722297.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FWitcher_102_Unit_02536_RT_5df21b9aaff43.jpeg

2019%2F12%2FTheWitcher_Season1_Episode5_00_08_31_04_5df21b9e46152.jpeg
2019%2F12%2FWitcher_103_Unit_02274_RT_5df21b992d321.jpeg

Berto

Oct 25, 2017

They'll introduce saga book characters like Cahir, Triss and Vilgefortz in this season (that is mainly focused on the short stories but will delve a bit into BoE) for people to get used to them. You can actually see Vilgefortz in this trailer fighting Cahir (why I don't know) at around the 1:00 mark (although I'm going by what Reddit is saying, it's kinda hard to see if that is really the actor, either way there's a Vilgefortz actor casted for this season).

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
They are so far adapting these short stories for the first season:
  • Episode 1: The Lesser Evil
  • Episode 2: The Edge of The World
  • Episode 3: The Witcher
  • Episode 4: A Question of Price
  • Episode 5: The Last Wish
  • Episode 6: The Bounds of Reason
  • Episode 7: Sword of Destiny
  • Episode 8: Something More
Each episode is around 1 hour - 3rd episode is for example 1hour 6minutes long

Well, now we know which episode Jaskiers "Toss A Coin To Your Witcher" will be in. Nice!

Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen The Hobbit?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

He shows up in the second book at Thanned, but whatever, that's not the point. The point is that the show did already cast his role, so they're clearly planning to show him.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Would love if the Jaskier songs are credits-songs that retell the story we just watched by the way.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Still not happy with the casting of Triss.... does Hollywood have an issue with Ginger haired characters or what

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Yeah they did say it's not 100% like the books, so some things will be new or different.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Still not happy with the casting of Triss.... does Hollywood have an issue with Ginger haired characters or what
She's not ginger in the books. She's described as having chestnut (brown with perhaps a tint of redishness to it) colored hair.

I'm also not sure why hair color matters so much to people.

Yeah they did say it's not 100% like the books, so some things will be new or different.

I love the books but the overall structure wouldn't work so well for a show. Three seasons of largely less connected episodes then after that suddenly a bunch of connections and importance on characters that had maybe a few showings the first seasons wouldn't be great. You need to get people on board with the big players in the story. Smooth out the transition to the saga. That's largely what they did, I've heard.

I mean, Ciri is practically more the main character in the saga than Geralt.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
To add to the correction posted above, I think the books call her hair.. Chestnut?

Edit: okay, the detail was already added by someone else, whoops.
But yeah, she's not the redhead from the games, because she isn't supposed to be.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone find the whispering dialogue hard to understand in the trailer? Not sure if it was meant to be.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it have the weird British framerate smoothing shit that permeates all British shows? I hate it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the acting stands up, because I think that's about all that it's going to have going for it. I swear, each time I see one of these trailers, I expect to see some kind of improvement over an earlier one, but it really looks like to me like their ambition far outweighed the budget, so you end up with a bunch of scenes that are supposed to look "epic", but look like they are from a Syfy original in quality.

It's like it wants to be both Game of Thrones and Vikings, yet can't manage to do what either of them are good at even decently.

That was probably the worst trailer.

They have all been about the same to me.

S1 of GOT looked much better than this production budget wise. Still looks decent though.

Yeah, I just can't understand the "Game of Thrones looked like shit" in the first season revisionism that started after the third or fourth season hit. Comparatively it might have looked lower budget, especially King's Landing, but it never looked like shit. It always looked really good from the start in most ways. Cinematography helps immensely too.

And besides that, even if Game of Thrones somehow did look like shit in the first season, how is that an excuse for a show that arrived eight years later?

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Thanned is the fourth (fifth) book. It's only the second if you start with Blood of Elves, which this TV series does not.

It's in the second book of the saga. Jesus.

Edit: Regardless, again, the point is Vilgefortz is a character from the saga. If they cast him, they're probably going for saga storylines sooner than later.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eeeeeeeeeeh. This looks generic-ass fantasy show, and the character doesn't help either. Will watch in the beginning but it doesn't look special at all.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. I feel like binging something over the holiday and this will be perfect.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Is Cavill doing a Doug Cockle impression in that final scene?
It sounds like he's trying. But he obviously isn't Doug and it is ok because Doug's voice is more so his natural voice so he doesn't have to try.

I'd also hope that Roach ends up in the roof of a house at see point. I will be disappointed if this doesn't happen.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Is Geralt not a monster hunter in this any more? None of the trailers seem to highlight that if so. Which is probably why all the trailers look bad to me.
I guess I can understand if they just didn't have the budget for it, but it's super disappointing to see Only him battling a few soldiers.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Is Geralt not a monster hunter in this any more? None of the trailers seem to highlight that if so. Which is probably why all the trailers look bad to me.
I guess I can understand if they just didn't have the budget for it, but it's super disappointing to see Only him battling a few soldiers.
You can see him fighting a striga, a kikimore and gouls in most trailers and in his featurette video.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So who is cast as Duny in this? Cavill still #NotMyGeraldo but will watch.

Last edited: