xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nice that it's coming out, even if it's a bit weird to see it as a pre-order Kickstarter and not a "real" one.

But hey, it's coming early and this game needs all the publicity it can get. Cool to see it having a re-release, I'd have never guessed.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
PLATKS1.jpg

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just did my part!

I never even played the game. I only played the demo and thought it was fun, but never got around to buying it. Not making the same mistake again

LETS GO!!!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
The sequel would need a comparable budget (more than the first Bayonetta game) which I doubt that a Kickstarter would ever accomplish unless you want an incredibly scaled down sequel.

There is also a reason why Nintendo doesn't seems to be involved on this, no logo likely anywhere near on this release. They don't care about the profits here but more about perception. If the average guy doesn't know that Nintendo was involved with the original game then the situation wouldn't be that different from the Bayonetta exclusive sequels they have been funding.

This of course assumes that the game passes the test and has an incredible performance in sales and maybe even a better Metacritic given how it's more on the 70s unlike the other PGs that they value more like Astral Chain and Bayonetta.
Yeah, that's why I said "lol kickstarter". A sequel wouldn't happen without them.

Jan 10, 2018
Worth noting the PS5 will be backwards compatible too so you can replay it on there for years to come. Maybe the next Switch will be backwards compatible too. The backwards compatibility of the PS5 is what convinced me because it is a game I will be going back to for years.

The whole point of Switch is to create a iOS style ecosystem

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
PC means they have to have non-squiggle controls, right? I skipped it on WiiU because of those as people also said it was a tough game. Wait let me check I didn't actually buy it.

No, I skipped it. Have a copy of Deus Ex for WiiU still sealed though hah.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I would think the obvious response to this port and kickstarter would have been a no too. I'm not saying they will or won't. Honestly, I also believe it would be a no but if it doesn't hurt to ask then why in god's name wouldn't they. What is it that the old poster in the back of elementary school classrooms used to say? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
The big difference is that TW101 was basically dead, so Nintendo might see this an opportunity to revive the series.
The same isnt true about Astral Chain and Bayonetta, not only the games are already on switch but are also much more successful. Nintendo gets no benefits for allowing ports.

Backed it just as it hit the first goal. Really heartening to see the game get this much love early on in the KS campaign and I hope they're able to maintain the momentum for the DLC and what I can only hope is an Xbox One port for those folks.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. They had no comment when asked about the ownership of the IP. In the same interview they did comment on Astral Chain being Coowned. Which is a bit odd.
In the FAQ on the kickstater they say "with the help of nintendo" and not "we bought back the IP from Nintendo" though.
Seems more like an Ori/Cuphead situation, with Nintendo putting zero money for a port as they are porting it everywhere, but still coowning the IP.

Best of both worlds IMO.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Not trying to shit on this but why would I want a 2D side scroller and not like a new level for the game or something related more closely to W101? What a weird final goal...

doctorcdcs

Oct 25, 2017
Are physical releases of the game only available through the kickstarter, or will it also be available to purchase from retailers at a later date?

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
PC means they have to have non-squiggle controls, right? I skipped it on WiiU because of those as people also said it was a tough game. Wait let me check I didn't actually buy it.

The Wii U version had non-touch screen controls and, at least most people I've talked to who have played it, never used them. You can draw with the right stick, which works better than it sounds.

There's no touchscreen requirements on even the Wii U version, as it can be played from beginning to end on a regular controller.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
The big difference is that TW101 was basically dead, so Nintendo might see this an opportunity to revive the series.
The same isnt true about Astral Chain and Bayonetta, not only the games are already on switch but are also much more successful. Nintendo gets no benefits for allowing ports.
I agree. None of that means they wouldn't ask. That's all I'm saying.

May 21, 2018
3 hours in and less than 10k backers. It's a flop again.

Seriously though, it's good to see the game being given new life. I honestly didn't enjoy it, but i think a lot of people will appreciate the passion that went into the game.

The number of backers (across three platforms) will still be quite low, yes. But the amount each backer has pledged is rather significant.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The difference between Astral Chain and W101 is basically: What are you most willing to give to charity, your brand new jacket that you adore or that padded sweater that shrunk when washed and has some holes?

If someone asks you for the jacket you say "lol, no", if someone asks you for the sweater you say "whatever".

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
In the FAQ on the kickstater they say "with the help of nintendo" and not "we bought back the IP from Nintendo" though.
Seems more like an Ori/Cuphead situation, with Nintendo putting zero money for a port as they are porting it everywhere, but still coowning the IP.

Best of both worlds IMO.
Doesnt MDHR own cuphead not xbox?

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
The Wii U version had non-touch screen controls and, at least most people I've talked to who have played it, never used them. You can draw with the right stick, which works better than it sounds.
There's no touchscreen requirements on even the Wii U version, as it can be played from beginning to end on a regular controller.

Oh, that's great, but then what was the big deal about the controls?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

Best of both worlds IMO.
In the interview here they said:

Can you elaborate on the status of the IP? Does Platinum now own it?

Inaba:
Unfortunately, we cannot comment on this matter at this time.
Later on they did comment on the status of the Astral Chain IP and gave a specific breakdown of who owns what.
In the case of Astral Chain, it's an IP that's owned half by Platinum and half by Nintendo.

I'm not so sure Nintendo will own this IP when all is said and done. If they still do, then the no comment is bizarre.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Analog stick drawing was the superior way of playing, even on Wii U; much faster and more precise. It might sound counterintuitive, but you're changing weapons constantly in this game; imagine playing Street Fighter and having to draw a figure on a tablet every time you wanted to throw a Hadoken.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

Later on they did comment on the status of the Astral Chain IP and gave a specific breakdown of who owns what. I'm not so sure Nintendo will own this IP when all is said and done. If they still do, then the no comment is bizarre.
Strange indeed. Maybe Nintendo is waiting to see how the kickstater goes, though that would be a strange move.

Doesnt MDHR own cuphead not xbox?
Cuphead is one of those weird situations where the developer does own the IP, but they can't freely shop the initial game around because of the financial investment that a platform holder made to the development of the game. Something like Cuphead 2 would almost assuredly not need any kind of approval process.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Analog stick drawing was the superior way of playing, even on Wii U; much faster and more precise. It might sound counterintuitive, but you're changing weapons constantly in this game; imagine playing Street Fighter and having to draw a figure on a tablet every time you wanted to throw a Hadoken.
Yeah that's what I was imagining! People were saying the game was great but controls were so hard.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Later on they did comment on the status of the Astral Chain IP and gave a specific breakdown of who owns what.

I'm not so sure Nintendo will own this IP when all is said and done. If they still do, then the no comment is bizarre.
Probably not, but it would be funny if the goals of the ports are currently to buy the IP from Nintendo and so they cannot speak at the time of the interview.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Oh, that's great, but then what was the big deal about the controls?
I think it was because it was advertised as touchscreen being the ideal way to play, but much like the motion controls in ARMS, people just used a regular controller most of the time.

The other thing is there is a learning curve to the game that can make the stick-drawing seem unintuitive, but once you get the hang of it it's really fun and oddly intuitive.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Yah, but no. The TW101 sell terrible in Japan? I bet most of these backers are in places other than Japan.
Yeah but if they're not actual Japanese nerds they're weeaboos who are still more likely to own a Switch or PS4 over an Xbox due to the lack of Japanese games.

There's just not a huge ecosystem on that system outside the biggest AAA releases which leads to a self-perpetuating cycle of the intended audience not buying the console.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah that's what I was imagining! People were saying the game was great but controls were so hard.

The game has a pretty steep learning curve, because it's different to a lot of previous character action games.

One major step in that learning curve is saying "fuck this" to drawing controls and going full analog. Another one is discovering that holding L (I believe) makes you draw lightning fast on the analogs.

The other thing is there is a learning curve to the game that can make the stick-drawing seem unintuitive, but once you get the hang of it it's really fun and oddly intuitive.

Yeah, it is really fun once you get the hang of it. :) I didn't use a random example when comparing it to Street Fighter, it really feels like doing special moves.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I think it was because it was advertised as touchscreen being the ideal way to play, but much like the motion controls in ARMS, people just used a regular controller most of the time.

The game has a pretty steep learning curve, because it's different to a lot of previous character action games.

One major step in that learning curve is saying "fuck this" to drawing controls and going full analog. Another one is discovering that holding L (I believe) makes you draw lightning fast on the analogs.

Yeah, it is really fun once you get the hang of it. :) I didn't use a random example when comparing it to Street Fighter, it really feels like doing special moves.

Okay thank you. Also, is the stick drawing is like spraying a tag in Jet Set Radio?