• Character for the unannounced Retro Studios game

Votes: 746 49.8%

• Total voters

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think it might just be a stylized version of the Labo Robot, which Retro Studios was rumored to have worked on.

They weren't rumored to have work on it. It was just shit posting, it was a meme here, the usual "Retro is doomed" : "they have spent 5 years working on fucking cardboards".
People at Retro would have been credited if they had worked on it lol they ain't Nintendo's ghost devs.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So more than anyone In this thread, you mean?

Don't be mad

If you can't play Nintendo games and have sex at the same time...

giphy.gif

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
May or may not be helpful, but you might be able to make out something from the reflection onto the black marble of the Mario statue below.

NOTE: bear in mind, the reflection of the Mario statue's own black foot and leg would be blocking some of the middle area, angling up to the left slightly, but I didn't want to crowd out the visuals too much (and it's mostly black on black anyway).

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
May or may not be helpful, but you might be able to make out something from the reflection onto the black marble of the Mario statue below.

NOTE: bear in mind, the reflection of the Mario statue's own black foot and leg would be blocking some of the middle area, angling up to the left slightly, but I didn't want to crowd out the visuals too much (and it's mostly black on black anyway).

The bear is back!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Had a little fun in Photoshop trying to help see the character in a different perspective.
First I removed Samus' elbow that seemed to be confusing the scale of the character. Then I partially got rid of the Mario statue to remove some obstruction.
Hope this makes for an okay first post on resetera.
A.jpg

D.jpg
Nice! I'm not sure how photoshop works but could you try removing the Mario statue altogether so we can get a good look at the full robot character?
/s ;)

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
One of my latest comments was on a retro thread... saying I had given up hope.

It's happening!!

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017

THE TREES, MAN
Wait, what do you mean, that's clearly n---

OH... MY....
Wait is there actually something there?

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Is it normal I already don't like the design of that hand? It's not the design of a character of an "immersive" IP at the very least. The character seems small and cute, sounds more like a family game.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if the reason Nintendo is being so secrective about the next Smash DLC character is because it's going to be this guy.

If even ARMS, which was released in June of 2017 and was probably already in development since 2015, did not get an opportunity due to "timing & scheduling constraints" I doubt the little Robot has a chance.

Best case scenario is DLC Season 2. Most likely in my opinion would be Smash 6.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
If even ARMS, which was released in June of 2017 and was probably already in development since 2015, did not get an opportunity due to "timing & scheduling constraints" I doubt the little Robot has a chance.

Best case scenario is DLC Season 2. Most likely in my opinion would be Smash 6.
For all we know Retro's game has been in development since Tropical Freeze development ended back in late 2013. This character's almost definitely not coming to Smash Ultimate, but there's a chance it's actually older than Spring Man in terms of development.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
For all we know Retro's game has been in development since Tropical Freeze development ended back in late 2013. This character's almost definitely not coming to Smash Ultimate, but there's a chance it's actually older than Spring Man in terms of development.

Hard to say, there might have been multiple games in development since 2013 which got cancelled at different points. Not sure if we will ever get the full story, but just the fact there is a chance we might get a Retro new IP before Metroid Prime 4 is fantastic.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Is it normal I already don't like the design of that hand? It's not the design of a character of an "immersive" IP at the very least. The character seems small and cute, sounds more like a family game.

People are right. There's gonna be major outrage once Retro's new IP isn't a dark gritty cinematic beard-em-up.

inspectah

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Had a little fun in Photoshop trying to help see the character in a different perspective.
First I removed Samus' elbow that seemed to be confusing the scale of the character. Then I partially got rid of the Mario statue to remove some obstruction.
Hope this makes for an okay first post on resetera.
A.jpg

D.jpg
I don´t think the part you removed belongs to Samus.
Her elbow doesn´t look like this and her armcannon is not that long and weirdly bent either.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I don´t think the part you removed belongs to Samus.
Her elbow doesn´t look like this and her armcannon is not that long and weirdly bent either.

Folks went over this earlier in the thread, it's accounted for in one of her designs. It looks odd and disconnected when part of it is obscured, but it def belongs to Samus

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hilarious that the arrival of Reggie on Twitter, who finally made an account because he retired, has led to a full Nintendo meltdown because of something so small on a "final goodbye" pic.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they deliver the goods at 5 years I doubt anybody will care. Just look at Sony Santa Monica - GoW comes out and the long wait was completely forgotten (although their wiki page indicates they've contributed to a number of projects in the interim)
I'm worried people will look at the budget and say it doesn't look like a big budget game a 5 year game should be.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's hilarious that the arrival of Reggie on Twitter, who finally made an account because he retired, has led to a full Nintendo meltdown because of something so small on a "final goodbye" pic.

It's actually the most Reggie thing ever, I love it.
Kind of a genius idea actually.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild was a 6 year game and it supposedly broke even at 2M units sold.

I don't think Nintendo games operate with the same idea of a budget as other games.

Are you sure about that assertion? I feel like maybe you're using the Nintendo adage of "2 mil copies to break even" which is almost certainly not applicable to a game that took 6 years to make. Some of their titles clearly have more budget behind them, like Zelda, and the 2 mil target is a general target.

Zelda is a tent pole for them, much like Mario. It's going to have a bigger budget and sales targets.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about that assertion? I feel like maybe you're using the Nintendo adage of "2 mil copies to break even" which is almost certainly not applicable to a game that took 6 years to make. Some of their titles clearly have more budget behind them, like Zelda, and the 2 mil target is a general target.

Zelda is a tent pole for them, much like Mario. It's going to have a bigger budget and sales targets.

My point is that their games don't seem to operate with individual budgets like that. That "2M to break even" thing is basically a fact of their game development style, where they share developers and resources between different teams and projects essentially all the time.

They can't really give you an exact number each specific game needs to sell to break even since they don't budget in that way, therefore they gave an average of about 2M.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild was a 6 year game and it supposedly broke even at 2M units sold.

I don't think Nintendo games operate with the same idea of a budget as other games.
I shouldn't have said budget. I meant scope of the game. You know people will compare it to Botw or Odyssey or God of War and say "Retro worked on this not so big scope of a game for 5 years?!"