Votes: 224 15.0%
  • Character for the unannounced Retro Studios game

Votes: 746 49.8%

• Total voters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For all we know Retro's game has been in development since Tropical Freeze development ended back in late 2013. This character's almost definitely not coming to Smash Ultimate, but there's a chance it's actually older than Spring Man in terms of development.
It's not just about timing, it's also about if the franchise will be successful or not. Sakurai's mentioned before that he avoids including characters from games with no real future (especially as of recently), & he has no way of knowing how Retro Studios' new franchise will pan out. The game could bomb or get cancelled for all Sakurai knows, hence why he usually waits it out regarding new IPs.

inspectah

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
Germany

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
Monita...is that you?
140px-NLChar.png

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hot Take: I'm the realm of exploratory platformers, Odyssey doesn't rank too high.

I'd love to see Retro take on the genre through. A semi-open world platformer set on a robot themed world would play to Retro's strengths of sci-fi and hard surface aesthetics. Combined with their color usage they learned from Donkey Kong and you got robot stew.

Now I want to rewatch Robots

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Realistically I don't see this being anything but a new IP. I doubt Retro would do such a drastic redesign of a character from an existing IP that we couldn't find anything even close (no, ROB and Monita are not at all close).

It's kinda hard to speculate on new IPs sadly but the fact that they seemingly actually have a game to tease (and ideally announce soon) is a huge relief.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Realistically I don't see this being anything but a new IP. I doubt Retro would do such a drastic redesign of a character from an existing IP that we couldn't find anything even close (no, ROB and Monita are not at all close).

It's kinda hard to speculate on new IPs sadly but the fact that they seemingly actually have a game to tease (and ideally announce soon) is a huge relief.
Yes it's really a new IP. People keep throwing out Rob, Monita, Labo, Custom Robo are off base.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hot Take: I'm the realm of exploratory platformers, Odyssey doesn't rank too high.

I'd love to see Retro take on the genre through. A semi-open world platformer set on a robot themed world would play to Retro's strengths of sci-fi and hard surface aesthetics. Combined with their color usage they learned from Donkey Kong and you got robot stew.

Now I want to rewatch Robots

Hell yeah I'll take a 3D platformer with a robotic setting.

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the fact that nobody can find anything remotely like this hand it's a safe bet that it's either a new IP or a completely new design/reboot of an existing IP.

I mean, given that this "robot" was meant to be a tease even within the full art (as it's likely barely poking out from behind Samus) it's entirely possible that it's not even the main character of whatever they are working on. It could be a sidekick or a new distinguishing feature of any existing IP, such as Cappy if they were working on SMO, or a robot mechanic for Starfox Grand Prix. Just a subtle reference meant more as an inside joke, as I doubt Nintendo would allow to use official art of an unannounced IP, either new or established, if it weren't essentially non-revealing.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I think most people will be too busy being relieved Retro has something, anything, to show after five years to care about it not being gritty enough.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, given that this "robot" was meant to be a tease even within the full art (as it's likely barely poking out from behind Samus) it's entirely possible that it's not even the main character of whatever they are working on. It could be a sidekick or a new distinguishing feature of any existing IP, such as Cappy if they were working on SMO, or a robot mechanic for Starfox Grand Prix. Just a subtle reference meant more as an inside joke, as I doubt Nintendo would allow to use official art of an unannounced IP, either new or established, if it weren't essentially non-revealing.

Every other character on the art is a main playable character, outside of the Metroids. If they were intentionally teasing a character from their new game it would make no sense to put a side character on the art rather than a main character.

Remember, this art is first and foremost a tribute to NoA's president retiring. Why would they put some side character on that? Reggie is the one who decided to tease this (with or without NCL's approval, I'm guessing with), not Retro.

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Ya'll getting played like a damn fiddle. I bet it's just one of those Federation Force guys drawn with tiny proportions.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll getting played like a damn fiddle. I bet it's just one of those Federation Force guys drawn with tiny proportions.

Except those are not Retro characters. Sure they "supervised" the design but that doesn't mean they designed them. They were probably just consulted.

Also they have 3 fingers, not 4.

Also their hands look nothing like that.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Guys, guys, I think I have it figured out.

There are not one, but rather two new characters on the artwork. Permit me to explain.

On the left, we can see the robot character, presumably peeking out from behind Samus's legs, waving his or her red-striped right hand. Obviously, Reggie has covered it up; nonetheless, the robot appears to be relatively small.

Mirroring this, on the right-hand side (no pun intended), I speculate there to be a second, similar robot character (also showing one hand, possibly blue), peeking through DK's armpit area, that Reggie has also deliberately shielded from view, in the photograph, with his book of memories.

The two robots are a 'couple' (friends or whatnot) who work together in a new action adventure game. They both only have one hand, and their hands are designed to reflect the Joy-Cons of the Switch, i.e., the left character has a red-striped hand, and the right-side character has a blue-striped hand. They are also fairly shy characters, but when together they gain confidence.

The game explores this partnership, and can be either played solo, or co-op with split Joy-Cons, as intended. Referring to the cryptic "peekaboo" tweet by Retro, the title is: "Hyde & Zeke".

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

There are not one, but rather two new characters on the artwork. Permit me to explain.

On the left, we can see the robot character, presumably peeking out from behind Samus's legs, waving his or her red-striped right hand. Obviously, Reggie has covered it up; nonetheless, the robot appears to be relatively small.

Mirroring this, on the right-hand side (no pun intended), I speculate there to be a second, similar robot character (also showing one hand, possibly blue), peeking through DK's armpit area, that Reggie has also deliberately shielded from view, in the photograph, with his book of memories.

The two robots are a 'couple' (friends or whatnot) who work together in a new action adventure game. They both only have one hand, and their hands are designed to reflect the Joy-Cons of the Switch, i.e., the left character has a red-striped hand, and the right-side character has a blue-striped hand. They are also fairly shy characters, but when together they gain confidence.

The game explores this partnership, and can be either played solo, or co-op with split Joy-Cons, as intended. Referring to the cryptic "peekaboo" tweet by Retro, the title is: "Hyde & Zeke".

Now this is speculation I can get behind.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK that settles it nothing can top disappointment based off of a hand. That and the 'close minded' post too. I don't wanna hear how such-and-such a game is Era's most hated by anyone anymore, whatever this game is should it indeed be real has already topped anything I've seen so far.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Every other character on the art is a main playable character, outside of the Metroids. If they were intentionally teasing a character from their new game it would make no sense to put a side character on the art rather than a main character.

Remember, this art is first and foremost a tribute to NoA's president retiring. Why would they put some side character on that? Reggie is the one who decided to tease this (with or without NCL's approval, I'm guessing with), not Retro.

Reggie needs no damn approvals.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The two robots are a 'couple' (friends or whatnot) who work together in a new action adventure game. They both only have one hand, and their hands are designed to reflect the Joy-Cons of the Switch, i.e., the left character has a red-striped hand, and the right-side character has a blue-striped hand.
Holy shit..... I could see that being the case. I've completely ignored the other side up til now.

Alternatively: let's say there IS a character behind the book. What if the reason that character is completely hidden is because they knew we'd recognize it right away?

Aug 29, 2018
This is the most Era thing I've seen so far in this thread.
Doesnt that make it not very era? These kinds of posts I sadly find common in mos

....this post is dope I want this

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018

Wow, I love this

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Sounds fun.
I feel dumb now that you mention the book on the right. I never imagined there could also be something hiding here. Good catch lol and fun theory.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

Even though this is imaginary, the part referring to another character hidden behind the book is suddenly plausible theory.

Also... No also actually. I am convinced it's a game of two characters both hidden in the pic.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

Hell yeah, I thought the exact same thing!

Well, wait, not the game part (which sounds totally awesome, I love your idea) but the fact that the Book of Names was obscuring the right side of the drawing, I thought the same thing about that.

*high fives*

NANA

Oct 26, 2017
Except those are not Retro characters. Sure they "supervised" the design but that doesn't mean they designed them. They were probably just consulted.

Also they have 3 fingers, not 4.

Also their hands look nothing like that.
1- That's why it's drawn so tiny, because it's not really from one of their games, but they still had some say in it, or a nod because it's a Metroid Prime game plus it's poking from behind Samus.
2- Different artist's interpretation different art style, including an extra finger (or that could just be an honest mistake).
3- Badly gif'ed to show how similar the arm is:

9F3iBHk.gif

Even has the same subtle curve.
(I'm most likely wrong, but hey, don't say I didn't warn ya'll, this could turn out to be nothing)

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
1- That's why it's drawn so tiny, because it's not really from one of their games, but they still had some say in it, or a nod because it's a Metroid Prime game plus it's poking from behind Samus.
2- Different artist's interpretation different art style, including an extra finger (or that could just be an honest mistake).

9F3iBHk.gif

(I'm most likely wrong, but hey, don't say I didn't warn ya'll, this could turn out to be nothing)

Those are pretty much from the same family of cartoony robot hands but that is also the end of the similarities.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

9F3iBHk.gif

I mean, fair point on the base of the hand looking more similar than I thought, but the rest of it doesn't really add up. A 3 finger hand (fingers aren't aligned, there's no definitive thumb) looks nothing like a 4 fingered hand with a thumb. If this is another artist's interpretation that's so different from the source material then why exactly are they even including it in the first place?

Also the red stripe/knuckle joints are nowhere to be seen on any Federation Force character. The artist would need to be taking a LOT of liberties to look at a Federation Force mech and come up with what we have here.

rookstudios

Apr 18, 2019

I had thought of this too. The booklet on the right also seems like it's intentionally covering up something. It would make sense from an illustrative layout standpoint to frame all of this by bookending everything with two smaller characters. Maybe it's a Cuphead-esque/Bullet Hell shooter-platformer? ;)

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

While your idea is cute, I hope this is not what Retro has being working on for the past 5 years. I want them to do something more ambitious, something that touches me and having a rich single player experience. I'm not expecting something like Uncharted (which I don't really like either) but more in the vein of Metroid Prime.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018

Method

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying we've been staring at Mario's ass. We aren't. We've been staring at his crotch.