• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is it ???????

• The very famous Nintendo star Teleboxer

Votes: 247 16.5%
  • it's metroid

Votes: 72 4.8%
  • Post-Great Ape War II Funky Kong

Votes: 209 14.0%
  • STARFOX GRAND PRIX WAS REAL

Votes: 224 15.0%
  • Character for the unannounced Retro Studios game

Votes: 746 49.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Cool that it might be a character from them for a new game but the hand looks sterile and not lived-in.

Hopefully it's a pre-alpha render.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know yet.

I still think if everything they were working on before Prime 4 was cancelled they're in a pretty terrible state.

This tease might point at something coming out soon-ish, which might help regain some faith in the studio.

My biggest issue with Nintendo giving Prime back to RETRO was that Nintendo seemingly felt RETRO was not capable of handling prime previously or they wouldn't have gone to Team Ninja or Namco for the latest console Metroid games. Giving Prime back after being in development hell for at least 5 years doesn't make a lot of sense.

If they had one project cancelled but managed to get another mostly complete and turning out well, being primed for release later this year, then I could make more sense of it
Plenty devs have games cancelled. This isn't exclusive to Retro + I already believed they have another game coming. We'll see by E3.

Where are you getting "Nintendo seemingly felt Retro couldn't handle Prime"?? If Retro was busy then Retro was busy. They're not a huge studio. Back then they probably had 80-90 people. Nintendo can't force Prime onto Retro if they working on something else or Retro declines to do it.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
mOoivpS.png

What is this between Diddy and Reggie?

aVBkAsY.png

Considering the Robot is in front and at the side of Samus, why there's the sky background to the side of Samus' leg? Maybe the robot is floating?

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty devs have games cancelled. This isn't exclusive to Retro + I already believed they have another game coming. We'll see by E3.

Where are you getting "Nintendo seemingly felt Retro couldn't handle Prime"?? If Retro was busy then Retro was busy. They're not a huge studio. Back then they probably had 80-90 people. Nintendo can't force Prime onto Retro if they working on something else or Retro declines to do it.
*if* there's nothing before prime 4, that's around two cancelled games in a row, 5 years with no results.

That's really bad, no matter how you slice it.

As for "why would nintendo think retro isn't fit for prime?", there was a mass exodus and they were put on Donkey Kong duty.
They were busy with returns to make a new one so team ninja stepped in - fair enough.
Nintendo going to Namco instead for Prime 4 seems to indicate they didn't have faith.

If there's something out soon, then fair enough. One cancelled project but right back on track.
Bit hard to visualize a positive sequence without a 2nd game, I guess whatever this robot could be.

Oct 26, 2017
So it's just an arm? I mean I can't see a way a character could be hidden there, it's just an arm waving from outside of the frame.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mOoivpS.png

What is this between Diddy and Reggie?

aVBkAsY.png

Considering the Robot is in front and at the side of Samus, why there's the sky background to the side of Samus' leg? Maybe the robot is floating?
Isn't that Diddys arm? In the second picture can't we see a tiny bit piece of the robot or is that part of Mario's statue?

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Isn't that Diddys arm? In the second picture can't we see a tiny bit piece of the robot or is that part of Mario's statue?

Behind Mario's there is the hand. And a small sliver of whatever the thing is looks to be underneath Mario's...groin...it's not the statue, it's a different color and you can see where the separation occurs.

If anything it's at least an arm, the hand and probably the head directly behind the statue saying hi

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Behind Mario's there is the hand. And a small sliver of whatever the thing is looks to be underneath Mario's...groin...it's not the statue, it's a different color and you can see where the separation occurs.

If anything it's at least an arm, the hand and probably the head directly behind the statue saying hi
Yeah I was talking about that sliver under Mario's groin I was wondering was the arm to the robotic hand

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Idk it might not be anything. A former Retro Studios employee in the Tweet said "they will all be so disappointed". Keep in mind this former Retro Studios employee worked there from 2010-2012 so I highly doubt he would know anything that happened past 2012, but maybe he recognizes the robotic hand as some internal cancelled game or some fun thing they did with Reggie at the time?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
One problem I have with the "peeking robot" theory is that it's not an optimal composition -- why would an artist set up a farewell painting with a major (new) character tucked out of view? Especially if it's a small character?

Then I wonder: what if the mystery character has elastic arms? What if the character is actually up front and prominent, but hidden behind the book in the lower-right corner? What if the hand is a distraction to draw your eye away from where he/she/it really is?

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Idk it might not be anything. A former Retro Studios employee in the Tweet said "they will all be so disappointed". Keep in mind this former Retro Studios employee worked there from 2010-2012 so I highly doubt he would know anything that happened past 2012, but maybe he recognizes the robotic hand as some internal cancelled game or some fun thing they did with Reggie at the time?

he also mentioned that he recognizes the hand in another tweet.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also Matt Manchester who is part of that tweet line from Reggie's post, posted that GIF. He works at Retro currently. It's probably safe to say that robotic hand isn't from a game or they wouldn't joke around about it so freely.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm that's interesting. Saying that we "will all be so disappointed" kinda implies that we will learn what it is, eventually. But it's some disappointing thing? Maybe it's like a mini eShop game or something? Idk.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm that's interesting. Saying that we "will all be so disappointed" kinda implies that we will learn what it is, eventually. But it's some disappointing thing? Maybe it's like a mini eShop game or something? Idk.
He said he recognizes the hand. I think it's an inside joke and it's not related to a new game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
He said he recognizes the hand. I think it's an inside joke and it's not related to a new game.
Could be. If that's the case, there's nothing to hide I guess, so I hope Reggie would reveal what it is eventually. He must know by now that he has caused a reaction, so it would be nice for him to let us down.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017

It's probably that Retro's new game is cartoony and child friendly, while weird people keep demanding they make an M Rated AAA Uncharted clone.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could be. If that's the case, there's nothing to hide I guess, so I hope Reggie would reveal what it is eventually. He must know by now that he has caused a reaction, so it would be nice for him to let us down.
I still have hope a new game is coming. Just for me I'm saying this robot hand has nothing to do with the new game. I guess we'll see by E3, unless some more information comes in lol.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never thought I would see people over analyze a hand hidden behind the ass of a Mario statue... never change Era.