• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think for mass consumers a proper hacked consoles will ever be there.
I mean always online is the future, DRMs are getting more scary and even PS4 is not hacked yet. Doubt stable Switch hack would be there.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bingo. There's no such thing as stealing "just a little bit". Once you've got the keys to the kingdom you've got too much power and there needs to be a no-tolerance policy on such things.

Buying a product for a piece of software that it isn't compatible with seems really bizarre, but to each their own.
Hey now! I bought this thing to play Mario too!

Streaming seems to be coming along decently right now, it's still early days but arch linux + jsmpegvnc work alright. It's only a matter of time until Moonlight gets Switch implementation through homebrew ;)

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good on Nintendo for implementung certs on carts and actually checking you own the eshop game

Makes this hack much less of issue for them since they can stop this from destroying online games

Anyway if vc does not come soom a second switvh for homebrew looks interesting..

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hey now! I bought this thing to play Mario too!

Streaming seems to be coming along decently right now, it's still early days but arch linux + jsmpegvnc work alright. It's only a matter of time until Moonlight gets Switch implementation through homebrew ;)

If you're looking to remote play Playstation 4 games, wouldn't a better solution be using a PS Vita?

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think for mass consumers a proper hacked consoles will ever be there.
I mean always online is the future, DRMs are getting more scary and even PS4 is not hacked yet. Doubt stable Switch hack would be there.

PS4 is as open as possible now lol. If you think Switch hack scene is bad. PS4 right now is even worst.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Hacking in online games such as Splatoon should be welcomed and accepted. These people are just trying to have fun like everyone else! :)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
If you're looking to remote play Playstation 4 games, wouldn't a better solution be using a PS Vita?
It's the PS3 version of Persona 5 being played through an emulator. Latency is an issue but this is merely a proof of concept right now.

PS4 has been hacked for a while now, although Sony's security is way better than last-gen, it still hasn't stopped them from being compromised.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Good for Nintendo.
If you hack your console you can't go online. Fair deal.

Yeah, isn't this true for all consoles?
I have a hacked PS3 for retroarch and PS1 + 2 games but I don't have my psn account on it.
I also have a normal PS3 where I am logged in and buy/play PS3 games.

I don't really see the point in hacking the switch (yet), but if I do I'd definitely get a 2nd switch for it.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think nintendo is getting every hacker out there , in the gbatemp discussions there are people that seem to be able to hack games data online without any bans whatever.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
While piracy is bad for the Switch Nintendo dont help themselves with the prices they charge on the eShop!!

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think nintendo is getting every hacker out there , in the gbatemp discussions there are people that seem to be able to hack games data online without any bans whatever.

Bans are coming by waves, if they aren't using a yet unknown way to get around the antipiracy measures, they'll eventually get banned.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy.
So buy a second Switch now and wait for things to get hashed out? I'm not concerned with cheating online but free games? Emulators? How the hell do you say no to that? Yeah yeah, it's wrong. I know. That SHOULD be enough to make me not do it.

It should be.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The scene is going to be even messier when Mariko units enter the fray.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't sound like new news, simply a restating of what we've been hearing for weeks. Is that chaos?

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
So people are getting banned and bricking their console for using hacks that are not yet proven to be safe?
no hack is safe, and that is what have em all in panic mode, they still have not figure out how nintendo identifies em, even the logs that a difference FW was run get tracked and when people swap back to normal FW still get banned

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Literally the first thing Hackers over at GBAtemp said was to never take your modded console online. This is and was known since the original Xbox and the PS3 cfw glory days. I'm not sure what you guys are championing here.The moment the Atmosphere cfw is release is the moment the scene will explode even more. The scene will be legit.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hacking in online games such as Splatoon should be welcomed and accepted. These people are just trying to have fun like everyone else! :)

5oy9lSj.gif

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
From what i understand , it only bricks your system if youre trying to modify the custom firmware itself. Basically to prevent someone from copying or modifying the cfw.

It's tied to the clocks so it could actually trigger from even innocuous action such as throttling.

But brickcode is never good. It will eventually go off unintentionally. This is exactly what happened with Gateway.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Literally the first thing Hackers over at GBAtemp said was to never take your modded console online. This is and was known since the original Xbox and the PS3 cfw glory days. I'm not sure what you guys are championing here.The moment the Atmosphere cfw is release is the moment the scene will explode even more. The scene will be legit.

Hackers had been proven to be idiot. They need to go online so others can know how badass they are in hacking switch thats why it is a chaos right now. The fable hackers never goes online is a rare being.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There are multitudes of Switch-like devices and tablets that are running Android or other operating systems and are ready out of the box for "Homebrew". Picking apart a device not designed for such things is folly when you can have a much easier go of it on practically any other device.
Doesnt exactly work the same way. I for one, am looking foward to Smash Ultimate mods.

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 has been hacked for ages, but it's a software based hack so it's not an immediately current thing since they spend time working through every firmware.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Hackers had been proven to be idiot. They need to go online so others can know how badass they are in hacking switch thats why it is a chaos right now. The fable hackers never goes online is a rare being.
What? Not all hackers.There are forums and websites devoted to soft and hard modding consoles that have plenty of hackers not logging online so they could have their console or account intact. The Switch has an entire forum of modders making software and homebrew and they all say don't log online with your modded console. It's literally on some of the posters signatures.

The hackers that appears online with modded consoles are either testing stuff or trolling.

Every current modding guideline say Nintendo will ban your shit if you log on.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
and they been the 1st to go full meltdown every time a banwave hits, all scrapping their heads trying to figure out what happened

OldBoyGamer

Dec 11, 2017
Give it a year and I'll bet we'll have stable CFW for the Switch as well as an easy access point, so there will be no need to buy an expensive tool.

I understand Nintendo banning online access for consoles that pirate, but it also just encourages them to pirate more because they can no longer use the eShop or any online-related services. If they pirated a little bit before, they're DEFINITELY going to pirate everything now that they're banned and can't do anything.

But I can see why Nintendo would ban people who are tinkering around with the system with mods...this is how people start cheating in games like Mario Kart and Splatoon and ruin the experience for everyone else. Seems like a pretty decent compromise...if you want online and eShop you have to stay vanilla.

I can't help but feel that a stern warning message would do a lot to counter this.

If I hacked my Switch and got an email from Nintendo demanding that I either Unhack it or else my ID + credit card details will forever be banned on all future Nintendo products. Well, I might shit myself enough into unhacking it or buying a second switch. Kind of win/win for Ninty. :)

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but feel that a stern warning message would do a lot to counter this.

If I hacked my Switch and got an email from Nintendo demanding that I either Unhack it or else my ID + credit card details will forever be banned on all future Nintendo products. Well, I might shit myself enough into unhacking it or buying a second switch. Kind of win/win for Ninty. :)

The warning is they banned your switch, not your account. So you could move to a clean Switch.

Nintendo has every incentive to nuke every Gen1 misbehaving Switch to remove them from online circulation, and let Mariko fix the rest of the problem by fixing nVidia's fuck up.

NateSnacks

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
and they been the 1st to go full meltdown every time a banwave hits, all scrapping their heads trying to figure out what happened
That's false. I have been following the scene since forever. Every console hacking website online or the darkweb states never to appear online with your modded consoles. Even the Nintendo DS could get banned.

Its known not to log on with a modded consoles.

The scene doesn't have a proper CFW. The PS3 scene was choatic too back then.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Good! Hopefully the hackers can create their own online servers and play online cheating and hacking together lol
I would actually rather them play their own online servers, and leave the legitimate users alone. But then, that is basically opening up your own custom servers for others to play, a-la Minecraft servers style.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
That's false. I have been following the scene since forever. Every console hacking website online or the darkweb states never to appear online with your modded consoles. Even the Nintendo DS could get banned.

Its known not to log on with a modded consoles.
there was a 33 pages thread in less than 2 days in GBAtemp during the last wave... you are doing as bad job "following the scene" is this escaped you

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
It's always chaotic in the beginning times of hacking any new consoles then things mature and get better over time with better understanding and tools etc

Oct 25, 2017
It was, but it will be way, way more. I already know tons of peolle that said specifically they didn't really want to hack, but want to play old games.
Then they wait and not risk their system. It's an easy action.

If only Nintendo gave me what I wanted and not forced me at gun point to hack my switch to pirate old games.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's always chaotic in the beginning times of hacking any new consoles then things mature and get better over time with better understanding and tools etc

Switch will be weird and chaotic for a long time because a hardware revision is on the way, and the kernel itself is solid. So there's going to be a messy web of: what unit, is it banned, is it banned, what firmware, and so on.