• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So for context, Nintendo revealed Nessa - Pokemon Sword and Shield's water-type gym leader at their E3 Direct the other day.

nessa-the-water-type-gym-leader-that-was-introduced-during-e3-2019.jpeg

And the official art as a reference...

nessa_water_type_gym_leader_artwork.jpg

This naturally got a lot of people hype because
  1. Dark-skin
  2. Distinctive design
  3. Popular franchise
And so the fan art and OC floodgates were opened. We got some really cool stuff which you can see for yourself by clicking this.

Anywho, what I want to touch on was this particular piece here.

D88xv_CUwAALuAW.jpg

This one image has had art Twitter in a maelstrom for the past few days now. And whew, what a doozy. The Japanese artist Najuco who made this image of Nessa has been accused of whitewashing. Now on one hand, you've got people defending the artist stating that Nessa's got a lighter tone in this image because of a pastel or muted color palette, lighting and other stuff...

C1sOKPJ.png

O2WsvUN.png

But there are also who have called BS on the whole "pastel palette" and lighting excuse, stating that dark skin can be portrayed with pastel palettes.

7eiQ7JD.png

yZcQw5i.png

fCz5agY.png

D9MpDFKW4AMhAKp.png

D9MpF2QXYAA7107.png

D9MpMQqX4AIz7XO.png

and even a few interesting takes on the situation from primarily PoC

4OPafh0.png

duviQD2.png

It's kind of created a wider discussion of whitewashing art in general, with many artists going out of their way to teach others how to properly depict darker skintones in art.

D9JtIk_WwAAblK-.jpg

D9JzGQwXsAE5Sf9.jpg

lw7smhs.png

D9J7m-KXYAAFlx4.png

D9J7pPgXUAEx0vx.png

D9J7rK4W4AAZABc.png

D9J7tq7XsAA1glf.png

D9J7wgSXoAEJ6XA.png

D9J7yLSWkAUhGH4.png

D9J7zlkWwAASjhI.png

D9J76o7WkAENwd0.jpg

The issue I have with this whole debacle though is that people in the art community have been pretty fuckin' racist in defendingthe original artwork. Like all this talk about how Japanese people have never seen a black person before so it's impossible for them to draw black characters is just ludicrous.

To be honest with you, I don't really understand the argument directly above this text considering colorism is still a thing in East Asian countries but let's move on.

Anyways, you've also got people purposefully drawing her as white to piss other people off which is just so dumb.

6RLEk1d.png

Honestly seeing some of this stuff has been an eyeopener. What's taken me aback is that people are 'scared' of drawing dark-skin characters because of this fear of backlash and while I agree it has gotten bad in some places, the fact that it stops you from drawing ANY darker-skinned characters is just ridiculous. This particular Twitter thread is just really sad imo.

4IQ2Gnn.png

I get the feeling people are using this whitewashing discourse as justification of not drawing PoC which is its own discussion in itself.

6RLEk1d.png

Overall though, I think this is a discussion worth having and has produced some interesting takes on what is or isn't whitewashing. Is the lighter skin tone just a stylistic choice? etc.

I wanted to know what Era make of all of this.

Last edited:

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping I wouldn't see it blow up here too.

It's a matter of lighting and color pallette choice, and I think trying to make it anything but (at least in this instance) is reaching.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Whenever we get a good looking dark skinned character, the internet comes up with a thousand and one excuses on why we can't. Just let us have this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a new discussion, sadly. People even accuse pastel drawings of dark skinned characters as white washing, though pastel colors lighten the entire palette. But you can still tell the character is dark skinned. If you're just lightening the skin and nothing else, that's when it becomes a problem of white washing.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the Black Panther thing got brought up. I remember artists getting destroyed after that came out. First thing that came to mind while reading this

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I skimmed through the OP and I really think it's just a color palette choice and not a some sort of attempt by the artist to portray the character as a different race.

Whitewashing in fanart is rarely a case of the artist intentionally going out of their way to portray a character as a different race, it's usually due to internal biases about darker skin

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean there could be some subconscious bias at play here but... Yelling at an artist because of a mostly benign artistic choice is obnoxious af.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Oh noz! If we call out artists for trying to whitewash the comparatively very little PoC we get to see in Pokemon, they'll stop drawing PoC! Whatever are we going to do?!!!...

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Eh, she doesn't look white to me in that fanart.
Whitewashing =/= just turning a character white, it's usually in regards to the entire concept of making a character unreasonably fairer skinned based on the notion that dark skin is undesirable. This has been an issue for a very long time in Asian countries...

EDIT: She looks Hispanic at BEST. White with a tan. Extremely non-thecolorshewasintroducedin...

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Put me in the camp that this is just a color palette choice, and people are overreacting for the sake of it.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
It's fanart drawn by one dude. It has nothing to do with the character in any official sense. People also are drawing her way too tall, way too busty, with more realistic proportions, with less realistic proportions, and all sorts of other off-model things. Drawing the line at skin tone and dogpiling artists for *whatever* reason they come up with (pastel color palette or otherwise) aren't defending a character or supporting black people or anything - they're just surrounding a character that people are excited about with anger and frustration.

I just don't understand why people can't be happy that the character as she appears in the game is awesome for a lot of reasons, including her dark tone, and ignore any fanart that doesn't suit their taste, confident in the fact that any changes artists make in their own art pads have 0 effect on the game.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think she's clearly intended to be dark-skinned, just not AS dark-skinned as in the game itself. So it's less "whitewashing" and more "lightwashing" - which is definitely a conversation to have, but is the sort of discussion that I as a white guy really have no reference point for exploring the nuances of.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i dont really understand how that skin would pass as "white" o.O

you can totally tell she is dark skinned.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I don't care if she's brown, black, white or red (or some other color) because the artist who created her in the game did a wonderful job. As far as I'm concerned, she's perfection. Just an amazingly beautiful depiction of creation.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
People are allowed to be pissed off about things that matter to them. The amount of random ass white people online going 'its just a color palette' is going to be ungodly obnoxious in an effort to shut down actual criticism of a thing that genuinely happens, white washing of characters in art.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Nessa ultimately still comes across as being dark-skinned to me in that piece, so I don't personally see it as whitewashing.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Looking at the artists Twitter it seems they use the same colour pallet for everything and just didnt adjust it when drawing a dark skinned character (all the characters i saw were light skinned)

It's a mistake clearly and I can see why people are up in arms about it and I liked the responses above that show how drawing dark skinned characters should work, but its going a bit far like interest backlash tends to

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a color pallette choice. I still think she looks dark skinned, not seeing how it's "white".

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i think the funniest part of "it's pastels" is that the rest of the colors are largely within the value range of her ingame character model

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They try to make it super complicated but it's not. It's obvious when it's just a matter of lighting and when it's whitewashing, and that first art piece is obviously whitewashing to me. You can tell someone is brown even in different lighting conditions, and you certainly can't do that there,

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
That's covered in the OP.
Yes it is and they are also wrong. They even show it in their example. The example palletes show two different versions a more muted version and a more colour vibrant version. There is a reason the blackish/blue hair is lighter as well. Its a pallete choice in fan art its ridiculous this is even blowing up to begin with.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
This happens with a lot of fan art of characters with dark skin—those tips in the OP seem useful to keep in mind skin tone to other elements in the art.

Reminds me of Splatoon 2 Marina art and that one claw machine doll:

imageopt

EDIT:

In-game model

447330-M4..jpg

Oct 27, 2017
No matter how salient and educational these discussions end up being (and I think for the most part they usually are), sometimes I can't help but think y'all got too much time on your hands lol

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Every single time there is a popular dark skin character from a Japanese game/anime (usually female), a lot of art will depict them with much lighter skin tone. And people will excuse it.

Menat from Street Fighter V is another recent one.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Why am I not surprised that Era is chock-full of people that either don't get it or are hellbent on handwaving the issue entirely?...

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm glad that there are folks at least showing how to do it properly without essentially bleaching out the characters skin. I'm definitely not going to act like it aint a thing people don't do either subconsciously or on purpose either. If you get mad after its explained how to do it properly, then you just come off as an ass to me that bleaches dark-skinned people in your art out of preference for lighter skin tones.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The model looks pretty great, miles better than the Champ design. Not sure why people need to make her lighter. Kinda like the character from Splatoon 2 (don't recall the name) which actually looked worse with the lighter skin tones IMO.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Useless comment. Even if you want to argue that palettes don't work that way, you can tell it wasn't one done with malicious intent. It's an honest mistake and it's okay for artists to fuck up.

I guess I don't see the criticism and suggestions in the OP as being hostile. Not even that tweet you quoted, even if it's harsh.

None of this says to me "it's not okay that these artists made mistakes"—it's just various responses to an on-going problem.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It would be more concerning if the majority of artists were whitewashing her, but my impression skimming the OP is it's one dude. Still lame that the artist did that, though.

At any rate, I really just want to say Nessa is an absolutely stunning design. Not just her looks, but her animation and expressions too. She seems so serene yet self-assured. She was the highlight of Pokemon Sword and Shield at E3, helping to soften the "Dexit" controversy.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad it's not the developer this time (or, ya know, an official merchandiser). At least a random artist on Twitter can be blocked or ignored without their colorism (unconscious or otherwise) ruining your enjoyment of the game.

Good on Game Freak for making an unapologetically black/brown character. We've come a long way from blackface Jynx and mammy Lenora.