• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It must be streaming honestly. Otherwise I wonder why they waited until now to invest in studios and titles.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox 360 Exclusives 2010:

Ninety-Nine Nights II
Lips Party Classics
Crackdown 2
Halo Reach
Morphx
Naval Assault

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2010:

MAG
Eyepet
Yakuza 3
White Knight Chronicles
3D Dot Game Heroes
Gran Tursimo 5
Modnations Racers
Trinity Universe
Atelier RoRora
Heavy Rain
God of War 3
Time Crisis Razing Storm
Last Rebellion
John Daly Golf​

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2011:

Gears of War 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Otemedus Excellent
HALO CE Anniversary

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2011:

Little Big Planet 2
Killzone 3
SOCOM 4
Yakuza 4
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Diagaea 4
Infamous 2
Ar tonelico Qoga
Uncharted 3
Bleach Resurrection
White Knight Chronicles 2
Resistance 3
Trinity Souls
Atelier Totori
Ratchet and Clank All 4 one​

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2012:

Halo 4
Forza Horizon
Akai Katana

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2012:

Twisted Metal
Atelier Meruru
Starhawk
Time and Eternity
One Piece Pirate Warriors
Little Big Planet Karting
Ratchet and CLank Frontal Assault
Yakuza Dead Souls

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2013:

Gears of War Judgement

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2013:

Ni No Kuni
Atelier Ayesha
The Guided Fate Paradox
God of War Ascension
TLOU
Beyond Two Souls
Tales of Xillia
Hot SHots Golf 6
Mugen Souls Z
Disgaea D2
One Piece Pirate Warriors 2
Pupeteer
Gran Turismo 6
Xbox 360 Exclusives 2014:

Playstation 3 Exclusives 2014:

Atelier Escha & Logy
Magus
Tales of Xilia
Witch and hundred Knights
DrakenGard 3

----

And people dont get it why Ps4 sold more at the beginning of the gen. People knew that games would come to ps4.
It was price mainly, combined with a disastrous media handling and messaging.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I just realized that Paul Thurrott was the first, if not among the first), to originally break the news
(20 years ago this month!) that Microsoft was going to make its own game console.

HvelF6O.jpg

Q96QgbG.jpg

http://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/microsoft-reportedly-working-game-console

Then 17 months later...a different author and website...

nqjK9LY.jpg

gqJ5jdT.jpg

nDXieXL.jpg

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-x-box-fight-for-the-future/

Eventually lead to the official announcement.

SOENJqw.jpg

lUfLaEf.jpg

Aside from that famous pre-rendered CGI video, the real-time demos were running on PCs with Nvidia's new NV15 GPU (GeForce 2 GTS).

n70LAn9.jpg
Rc9ISZI.jpg

xaly30c.jpg
CYjC95F.jpg

Cor blimey, some real nostalgia there! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading every gaming magazine I could get my hand in go news about the console that was going to replace my Dreamcast.

My then fiancé gave me an Xbox pre-order receipt as a valentines gift!

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the incentive for the PC push anyway? Are there any numbers?

First of all MS can't collect Xbox Live Fees, and everyone says they hate the Windows store leading me to believe sales are very low. Microsoft competing with Steam seems about as achievable as Xbox becoming a Japanese console darling.

Maybe this is where the Service games comes into it? Can't get reoccurring Lives fees, so get reoccurring game loot fees?

Baffling.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have no confidence from what comes out directly from MS office , that's why I didn't replied anything previously to past threads MS commitment to PC gaming or Xbox first party increase promises.

But 3 sources ?
Well where there's smoke, there's fire. Let's visit this thread again in 2021.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
So we have a CEO bullish towards gaming, the head of Xbox who is a great guy and a ton of money. Sounds great.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Cor blimey, some real nostalgia there! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading every gaming magazine I could get my hand in go news about the console that was going to replace my Dreamcast.

My then fiancé gave me an Xbox pre-order receipt as a valentines gift!

Wow, what a cool giff!

Speaking of Dreamcast as well as early Xbox news/rumors.,,.

EDGE #77 - Autumn 1999

u9GAttA.jpg

Last edited:

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
This is a weird comparison. PS Now is not a port of PS3 and PS4 games to PC. They're streamed. And you know that.
I'm not comparing anything. Sony have make movements on PC already, and will continue to do in the future. That's what I'm saying. Anyway, if you can play a PS3 game on PC via streaming the fact is that you can play a PS3 game on PC, and Sony is who is providing you that.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Streaming HBO vs Netflix
Movies Marvel vs DC

Xbox is the Netflix of streaming and DC of films. You want to be excited for their upcoming projects but you know it's gonna disappoint.
When Sony releases games you know they're gonna be something else. Highly rated, consistent high quality. A la Marvel, HBO. Because they are run by people with not just talent but also major passion for quality not just to cash in. MS doesnt really know what gamers really want, run by suits (ironically Phil doesnt yet still comes across as a mastered politician) who pretend like they understand but dont. As their portfolio speaks for itself. Sony for example cherishes, values their top IPs. They treat them with real care. They would never have let Halo be run into the ground like that. They would have made sure it was top notch, they would have never handed it out to a studio like 343 and they would have never let them still be able to run the franchise after not one, two but 3 failed attempts.

No amount of money will ever fix MSs issue as long as they are not run by the right people, teams.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I suggest changing the name of all microsoft threads for "Stand your ground about Microsoft". What's the point of trying to talk about different aspects/news of the company?

Angel DvA

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Money isn't the problem at Microsoft, they can still throw 10 000 trucks of money at everything and still be in their position, they're lacking direction, talented studios and vision for gaming, that won't change until they make significant change in their gaming division, firing Spencer should be a great start though.

I can't beieve Microsoft might be getting into gaming... this is huge if true

Underrated post.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Okay, but what do you mean by "silently doing already"? Are you saying they're making PC ports/versions?

They are already publishing games on PC, although by using offshoot labels. There's more coming, perhaps not from SIE, but it's obvious that Sony as a whole are receptive to the idea of publishing games for non-PlayStation platforms. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine that one day that's going to intensify, and if I remember correctly, PD have already said that they wouldn't mind bringing GT to PC or something to that effect.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming HBO vs Netflix
Movies Marvel vs DC

Xbox is the Netflix of streaming and DC of films. You want to be excited for their upcoming projects but you know it's gonna disappoint.
When Sony releases games you know they're gonna be something else. Highly rated, consistent high quality. A la Marvel, HBO. Because they are run by people with not just talent but also major passion for quality not just to cash in. MS doesnt really know what gamers really want, run by suits (ironically Phil doesnt yet still comes across as a mastered politician) who pretend like they understand but dont. As their portfolio speaks for itself. Sony for example cherishes, values their top IPs. They treat them with real care. They would never have let Halo be run into the ground like that. They would have made sure it was top notch, they would have never handed it out to a studio like 343 and they would have never let them still be able to run the franchise after not one, two but 3 failed attempts.

No amount of money will ever fix MSs issue as long as they are not run by the right people, teams.
You've obviously never heard of a series called SOCOM. Or Killzone. Or Warhawk. Or MAG. Or Siphon Filter. Or Twisted Metal.

Or any of the many series that Sony has mis-managed into instant failure, placed in the wrong hands or beat like a dead horse into absolute collapse.

Surely people don't actually live in a mental bubble where Sony does no wrong.

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've obviously never heard of a series called SOCOM. Or Killzone. Or Warhawk. Or MAG. Or Siphon Filter. Or Twisted Metal.

Or any of the many series that Sony has mis-managed into instant failure, placed in the wrong hands or beat like a dead horse into absolute collapse.

Surely people don't actually live in a mental bubble where Sony does no wrong.

You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Money isn't the problem at Microsoft, they can still throw 10 000 trucks of money at everything and still be in their position, they're lacking direction, talented studios and vision for gaming, that won't change until they make significant change in their gaming division, firing Spencer should be a great start though.

Underrated post.
Firing the guy who put Xbox Division into profitability and is starting a service that can be a hit in the Microsoft future (Game Pass)? Spencer has moved already from managing Microsoft Studios, Booty is now in charge.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the incentive for the PC push anyway? Are there any numbers?

First of all MS can't collect Xbox Live Fees, and everyone says they hate the Windows store leading me to believe sales are very low. Microsoft competing with Steam seems about as achievable as Xbox becoming a Japanese console darling.

Maybe this is where the Service games comes into it? Can't get reoccurring Lives fees, so get reoccurring game loot fees?

Baffling.
Microsoft are preparing for a future where hardware is irrelevant.

Edonista

Oct 31, 2017
If they fail we can always get some new (very much appreciated) hardware houses in the business so I don't really mind them going all out with the upcoming generation of consoles.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming HBO vs Netflix
Movies Marvel vs DC

Jesus...

MS doesn't care about their IP's now? MS doesn't know what gamers want? MS run by suits?
HBO is Sony and Netflix is MS? What the hell is this post?

I'll give you credit for the Marvel, DC, Netflix, Sony, HBO callouts.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Overrated post.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
They've mismanaged and closed so many studios, left many IPs dormant. The Win App Store is hot garbage. Their past PC gaming efforts left nothing but a rotten aftertaste.

MS shouldn't talk big plans, but wow us with good and lasting actions/results.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They've mismanaged and closed so many studios, left many IPs dormant. The Win App Store is hot garbage. Their past PC gaming efforts left nothing but a rotten aftertaste.

MS shouldn't talk big plans, but wow us with good and lasting actions/results.

But haven't they wowed us with actions and results the last couple of months? The Windows experience has vastly improved, they've done many consumer friendly stuff, they made a nice box to play games on. At what point are you satisfied?

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
But haven't they wowed us with actions and results the last couple of months? The Windows experience has vastly improved, they've done many consumer friendly stuff, they made a nice box to play games on. At what point are you satisfied?
When I can trust in their lasting commitment, but that day will probably never come. Gaming isn't a goal for MS, it's a stepping stone to something else. Currently they try to prop up their App Store, because of Steam, iTunes and Google Play envy. XBox is leverage, so it's time to invest. I'm sure, they're just a board meeting away from changing focus to something else when THEY are satisfied.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
When I can trust in their lasting commitment, but that day will probably never come. Gaming isn't a goal for MS, it's a stepping stone to something else. Currently they try to prop up their App Store, because of Steam, iTunes and Google Play envy. XBox is leverage, so it's time to invest. I'm sure, they're just a board meeting away from changing focus to something else when THEY are satisfied.

Gaming isn't a goal? Dude, lets not get crazy. If you don't trust their lasting commitment than you don't trust anyone. They've bent over backwards for BC to ensure your games are playable on the newest Xbox and beyond. If that ain't commitment I don't know what is?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I think historically Xbox was indeed always seen as a Trojan horse. Even with Xbox One launch, you could tell that Microsoft didn't see gaming as a big enough business in itself, and therefore tried to shoehorn all the TV stuff in there.

But with gaming now finally becoming its very own entity within Microsoft, and Phil reporting directly to Nadella, along with renewed investments, it's clear that it is no longer a Trojan horse or stepping stone anymore, gaming is now actually about the gaming and they finally see that as a viable and worthwhile business in itself.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Gaming isn't a goal? Dude, lets not get crazy. If you don't trust their lasting commitment than you don't trust anyone. They've bent over backwards for BC to ensure your games are playable on the newest Xbox and beyond. If that ain't commitment I don't know what is?
They're in catch up mode, if you can't create value with something new (creating studios/IPs takes time), then you have to look for what else you can offer. The BC effort is smart, but also just reactionary.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017

It has been almost 18 years dude, that's pretty established. They've been making consoles for longer than Sega did and almost as long as Atari did.

You're practically parroting naysayer rhetoric from the early 2000s but yes, I'm sure they can't wait to bail out and effectively piss away the billions they've spent establishing themselves as a player in this market.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They're in catch up mode, if you can't create value with something new (creating studios/IPs takes time), then you have to look for what else you can offer. The BC effort is smart, but also just reactionary.

It's not reactionary if the OG Xbox One was built for BC. Which it was.

So your post is moot. If you are going to come on here and post nonsense at least get informed or you end up looking like a bitter troll.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It's not reactionary if the OG Xbox One was built for BC. Which it was.

So your post is moot. If you are going to come on here and post nonsense at least get informed or you end up looking like a bitter troll.
Nothing was built for BC. There is no native BC. They have to add BC via profiles and wrappers.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing was built for BC. There is no native BC. They have to add BC via profiles and wrappers.

Educate yourself before railing against something you know very little about:

"The fan-first feature has evolved from an experiment conducted by two separate Microsoft Research teams into a service planned for Xbox One's launch – complete with hardware hooks baked into the Durango silicon – until the well-publicized changes to the Xbox One policies (namely, stripping out the always-online requirement for the console) forced it to be pushed to the back burner."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Wait, what?

As Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. "This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware," Gammill explained. "We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon." This was done back in 2011.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

Nov 12, 2017

Underrated post.
"Firing Spencer" Ahahah you have e clearly no idea of what you are talking. About .....and I mean clearly

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Microsoft is investing in gaming because they are making money with gaming and believe that they can make a lot more money with gaming. If they succeed with their investments and make more money with gaming, they will invest more to earn even more. Is not hard to read on Nadella actions and statements that they are seeing gaming as an oportunity of repeating the success of Office 365, and they're gonna try hard.

The only of the 3 big that is on gaming because they don't know how to make nothing else is Nintendo.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You need to do a bit of googling. BC was planned from the start, and would have been here day 1 if not for the original plan reversals. The hardware has things to help with BC baked in to it. It was not reactionary in any way.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Hardwired functions to assist with BC, doesn't mean native BC. You can't play all titles, you still have to rely on MS to add support.