• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
This is still insane to me. Just crazy this had to happen.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Against my better judgement I watched that clip of Shaq on TNT and now my day is ruined...

I recall him really struggling with the death of his sister not long ago. Now this. All the love goes out to him.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Shaq made me so sad, like he seems so heartbroken and so full of regret for not reaching out to Kobe since 2016. Whatever petty shit you have going on with someone you love, just let that shit go man, it's not worth it; if you need to say something to someone just say it don't keep it bottled up.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hearing Shaq made me so sad, like he seems so heartbroken and so full of regret for not reaching out to Kobe since 2016. Whatever petty shit you have going on with someone you love, just let that shit go man, it's not worth it; if you need to say something to someone just say it don't keep it bottled up.
There really was no bad blood or funny stuff between Shaq & Kobe. Shaq is just the type of guy who's all about his business/work.. as he said he should really start taking time to talking more with people even to his colleagues etc..Kobe was regularly in contact with Shaq's son Shareef, even texting him a few hours before his death :(

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
All these great stories coming out about how Kobe was off the court, what an amazing person. Totally different from his on court persona. Helping with Haiti, visiting sick children, being a great friend and mentor, how kind, gracious, generous he was, etc.

His death has shaken the entire world.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Watching a recreation of the flight path, I believe in my heart of hearts that this was pilot error. He rose above the fog and could not get visibility, descended to get below the fog, and smack into the side of the mountain after becoming disoriented.

Yep. It was reckless to attempt the 180 in that environment, terrain was too variable. I'm sure he was a good pilot, but it only takes one mistake.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not finding anything to corroborate that it lost control. Just that it was definitely in a high speed descent. Pretty sure the NTSB hasn't claimed anything about losing control.

I listened to a couple of different doorbell cameras of the helicopter at the time of impact and it just sounds like a normal helicopter albeit a very fast one. The main rotors were definitely working in some way.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There really was no bad blood or funny stuff between Shaq & Kobe. Shaq is just the type of guy who's all about his business/work.. as he said he should really start taking time to talking more with people even to his colleagues etc..Kobe was regularly in contact with Shaq's son Shareef, even texting him a few hours before his death :(
Yea man. Sometimes time just flies. Not everyone you know is going to be really close with you, and the busier people are, the easier it is for a lot of time to suddenly go by without realizing you haven't spoken to someone in some time. Especially if your lives don't intersect at places like work.

Think of the high school or college friends you adored but haven't spoken to since. It's not personal, you just lost touch in the streams of life. That seems to be the case here more than anything else. But like most, I'm sure he wishes he could say one last thing to him. He was clearly looking forward to his HoF induction ceremony. It hurts that we won't get to see that banter.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
An important part of this story that needs to be brought up.

Heavy stuff.
I'm not finding anything to corroborate that it lost control. Just that it was definitely in a high speed descent. Pretty sure the NTSB hasn't claimed anything about losing control.

I listened to a couple of different doorbell cameras of the helicopter at the time of impact and it just sounds like a normal helicopter albeit a very fast one. The main rotors were definitely working in some way.
I mean what other reason would there be for a 100+ MPH descent if not for lack of control. This isn't rocket science. That's not a landing descent speed, they weren't instructed to land at that time and they weren't near a landing pad. Process of elimination.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
They had a tribute and moment of silence for Kobe during an NHL game in Calgary. The impact and reach of his popularity was insane and even surprising to me as someone that followed him. Like I'm sure a huge part of it is how tragically and suddenly he died but fuck I can't think of anything else this big and widespread. Is this the biggest (American at least) sports story since OJ?
Bigger. My friends dad who is 92 y/o has never witnessed anything like this from a global standpoint and media outpouring. This man really impacted people. I'm still in a daze.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet but Colbert had a pretty powerful piece on this last night.

I had no idea Stephen lost his brother AND father in an airplane crash! And that it was September 11th (1974) at that. Man, that date must haunt him for so many reasons.

Oct 28, 2017
Man, it still feels like this thing that we're all just talking about instead of it being real. Like "huh, for some reason we keep talking about how Kobe and his daughter died" without actually processing that he did die.

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Heavy stuff.

I mean what other reason would there be for a 100+ MPH descent if not for lack of control. This isn't rocket science. That's not a landing descent speed, they weren't instructed to land at that time and they weren't near a landing pad. Process of elimination.
Yeah it is for sure possible he lost control. But from everything I've looked up this morning there was no official statement that he lost control.

Also, if he did lose control, 180mph is roughly the speed of terminal velocity. So is it more likely he had terrible visibility and decided to fly fast around a bunch of mountains? Or something caused the copter to fall? Looking at it that way, losing control seems more likely.

Honestly, I just want to think there was no terrifying moments for those on board. :(

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
Noboby even really knows much about the pilot.If Kobe flew all the time I can't imagine he didn't have his own..Has that person spoke? Was this his every day pilot?

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Man, it still feels like this thing that we're all just talking about instead of it being real. Like "huh, for some reason we keep talking about how Kobe and his daughter died" without actually processing that he did die.
Yeah, it doesn't feel real at all. It breaks whenever I see footage of him and his daughter, or interviews from friends and players.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

He might not have known he was descending or what speed he was going. From everything I've read when you go from flying visually to flying by instrument you have to literally fight everything your body is telling you about which way is up, down, left, right and rely entirely on Air Traffic Control and your instruments to keep you on an even keel and avoid obstacles. And he didn't even have ATC telling him what to do because of the terrain blocking comms.

Think of it this way. If you bank a helicopter you get force pushing you down to the floor of the craft. When you have no visual reference outside of the craft your body is telling you the floor is pointing to the ground because of the centripetal force simulating gravity even though it's not.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it is for sure possible he lost control. But from everything I've looked up this morning there was no official statement that he lost control.

Also, if he did lose control, 180mph is roughly the speed of terminal velocity. So is it more likely he had terrible visibility and decided to fly fast around a bunch of mountains? Or something caused the copter to fall? Looking at it that way, losing control seems more likely.

Honestly, I just want to think there was no terrifying moments for those on board. :(

This is pretty much exactly what happened:
Warning--its very unsettling.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Sadly it is likely that there were, at minimum, 15 seconds of sheer terror on that vehicle. Likely much more as there was the rapid ascent that preceded the descent, and there was the 10-15 minutes of worry as they hovered and waited for instructions and safety that would never come.

I can think of few worse endings than the feeling of hopelessness and fear that this scenario conjures, and to have to live it with the screams of children as a backdrop...man. The only worse scenario would be that terror lasting longer as we've seen with some plane crashes (the famous crash in Japan that was a roller coaster going up and down for something like 20 minutes before crashing into a mountain, for example). At least this was over relatively quickly and there was no pain.

He might not have known he was descending or what speed he was going. From everything I've read when you go from flying visually to flying by instrument you have to literally fight everything your body is telling you about which way is up, down, left, right and rely entirely on Air Traffic Control and your instruments to keep you on an even keel and avoid obstacles. And he didn't even have ATC telling him what to do because of the terrain blocking comms.

Think of it this way. If you bank a helicopter you get force pushing you down to the floor of the craft. When you have no visual reference outside of the craft your body is telling you the floor is pointing to the ground even though it's not.
No, I've flown in helis. You can literally *feel* a 20MPH descent. This was a terminal velocity 180+ MPH descent, my dude.

yerrr

Banned
Nov 19, 2019

Yea, in the final briefing vid that someone posted earlier it was stated that they were in a very steep decline at high speeds for about 60 seconds before the crash and it's still too early to determine if the pilot had control during that time.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I do think the pilot is going to be blamed and harshly criticized by the public. It seems like it was pilot error (disorientation) but he had a pristine record and lots of experience. It feels like a perfect storm because they took off in clear skies and flew into what that expert witness on the scene described as the worst fog weather he had ever seen in the area. I'm sure this pilot in his thousands of hours had flown through some fog before, but perhaps nothing like this. Such a shitty and unfortunate situation.

It was a fill in guy. His main guy reportedly refused to fly in the conditions.

Any source on this? I've been following the story fairly closely and I feel like this revelation would be HUGE news.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Noboby even really knows much about the pilot.If Kobe flew all the time I can't imagine he didn't have his own..Has that person spoke?
I dont want to speculate, but early reports said ther OG pilot either refused to fly or didn't have low fog training to request so he was replaced
This is what I heard, and if true, really should have been the first indication that this was not a good idea.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017

Helicopter pilot Kurt Deetz said he flew Bryant dozens of times over a two-year period ending in 2017, often to games at Staples Center, and never remembered the Lakers star or his assistants pressing him to fly in bad weather.

"There was never any pressure Kobe put on any pilot to get somewhere — never, never," Deetz said. "I think he really understood professionalism. `You do your job. I trust you.' "

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Everything I've read is that this was Kobe's personal pilot and he used him for everything.

Edit: Yup

After learning to fly, Zobayan worked at Group 3 as a flight instructor. One of his students there, Darren Kemp, told the Los Angeles Times that Zobayan had worked as Bryant's private pilot for some time. "[Bryant] doesn't let anyone else fly him around but Ara," Kemp told the paper.

Not sure where this narrative that this is a fill in guy, because Kobe's pilot refused to take him is coming from.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Kenny Smith mentioning how when he and his kids were at Mamba Academy the hill they used to run up and down for conditioning is the same hill Kobe's copter crashed into. Also him breaking down when talking about thinking he lost his friend Rick Fox was tough.

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Reading up on different things that can cause helicopters to crash and found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_ring_state

Interesting quote:
There are many possibilities about what could have happened, but this seems like a plausible explanation.

Eapecially since he commuted in a hilly coastal mountain region.

Why the fuck wouldn't you have some form of terrain detection

Helicopter pilots have told me they don't usually add these because they are very expensive and add a lot of weight (its also why they don't have blackboxes).

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Kenny Smith mentioning how when he and his kids were at Mamba Academy the hill they used to run up and down for conditioning is the same hill Kobe's copter crashed into. Also him breaking down when talking about thinking he lost his friend Rick Fox was tough.
fucks sake

Helicopter pilots have told me they don't usually add these because they are very expensive and add a lot of weight (its also why they don't have blackboxes).
Maybe for your (above) average person who can afford a heli or a company looking to buy several, sure. But money was no object for Kobe. It shouldn't have been a second thought. Every safety feature within reason should have been on that heli. It should have been a miniature version of Air Force One. That man was literally worth a billion dollars (or close enough).

Last edited:

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe for your (above) average person who can afford a heli or a company looking to buy several, sure. But money was no object for Kobe. It shouldn't have been a second thought. Every safety feature within reason should have been on that heli. It should have been a miniature version of Air Force One. That man was literally worth a billion dollars (or close enough).
Fair enough, I was just sharing here what they told me when I asked.

Dec 29, 2017
There are so many possibilities on what could have caused the crash. For all we know the pilot could have had a medical issue. Heart attack or stroke at the time. The stress of getting lost in the fog could have caused it.