Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
4z8pxx.jpg

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
My objection is she is Not-Mary Jane. Marvel were either too cowardly to say they cast Zendaya as Mary Jane and created an OC that uses her nickname or they wanted to "surprise" the audience that one of the first people they cast is playing the iconic love interest of the franchise.

The fact that a lot of people can't decide which the case is would indicate this might be a problem.
They aren't going to replace Zendaya with the "real" Mary Jane, so the argument is moot. This is their interpretation of "MJ" regardless of if they called her "Mary Jane" or not. So do you have a problem with the name or the character?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the tease of the year I swear....

Edit: I guess we aren't getting confirmation tonight

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They aren't going to replace Zendaya with the "real" Mary Jane, so the argument is moot. This is their interpretation of "MJ" regardless of if they called her "Mary Jane" or not. So do you have a problem with the name or the character?

I never said I thought they were going to do a "real" Mary Jane. I said I think the way they handled this was dumb. But the way they handled a lot of things in these movies has been dumb (like making Vulture's and Mysterio's motivation their hatred of Tony Stark).

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I mean, maybe we're getting a bunch of past villains without their respective Spideys in this movie. But c'moooon.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
My objection is she is Not-Mary Jane. Marvel were either too cowardly to say they cast Zendaya as Mary Jane and created an OC that uses her nickname or they wanted to "surprise" the audience that one of the first people they cast is playing the iconic love interest of the franchise.

The fact that a lot of people can't decide which the case is would indicate this might be a problem.
It doesn't matter. In the MCU Peter Parker has a love interest that goes by MJ and retains the personality traits of her comic inspiration. No need to be confused. In the universe the movies take place in, which is different from the universe the comics take place in, MJ stands for Michelle Jones instead of Mary Jane. People will figure it out, just like every other tweak they've made to the MCU versions of their characters hasn't left people laying on the floor drooling in a stupor. I don't think anyone is waiting around for the "real" MJ to show up and replace this imposter.

This is the same insipid shit as when Miles became Spider-Man in the Ultimate comics and people lost their fucking minds because nu-uh, PETER PARKER is Spider-Man, if it's not PETER PARKER it can't be Spider-Man!!!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't matter. In the MCU Peter Parker has a love interest that goes by MJ and retains the personality traits of her comic inspiration. No need to be confused. In the universe the movies take place in, which is different from the universe the comics take place in, MJ stands for Michelle Jones instead of Mary Jane. People will figure it out, just like every other tweak they've made to the MCU versions of their characters hasn't left people laying on the floor drooling in a stupor. I don't think anyone is waiting around for the "real" MJ to show up and replace this imposter.

This is the same insipid shit as when Miles became Spider-Man in the Ultimate comics and people lost their fucking minds because nu-uh, PETER PARKER is Spider-Man, if it's not PETER PARKER it can't be Spider-Man!!!

I actually like Miles and think Spider-Verse is the best Spider-Man movie alongside Raimi II.

This comes from the same place a lot of my hatred of Spider-Man bullshit comes from. One More Day. Fuck Marvel forever for that shit.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like Miles and think Spider-Verse is the best Spider-Man movie alongside Raimi II.

This comes from the same place a lot of my hatred of Spider-Man bullshit comes from. One More Day. Fuck Marvel forever for that shit.
Hell yeah it is, and just to be clear I'm not saying you were one of the people who felt that way, but that the "she isn't MJ because it's not Mary Jane" feels like the same argument that others made back then for "it can't be Spider-Man if it isn't Peter Parker".

And yes One More Day was absolutely fucking stupidddddd

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah it is, and just to be clear I'm not saying you were one of the people who felt that way, but that the "she isn't MJ because it's not Mary Jane" feels like the same argument that others made back then for "it can't be Spider-Man if it isn't Peter Parker".

And yes One More Day was absolutely fucking stupidddddd

I just don't like the ambiguity of "is she an OC with Mary Jane's nickname or is she just a radical reinterpretation of the most iconic Spider-Man love interest" because people in general can't seem to agree on which it is.

Marvel tried to rationalize One More Day with talk of new characters and new stories, but the only love interests who made any splash since were Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy and Zendaya's MJ. Hence my own frustrations on the subject, and my own hatred of One More Day even after all these years.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

Y'know on the last part you don't even have to wrap it as like an "lul iron man jr" thing. Holland's Spidey is on his phone a lot especially in the two Spidey movies. Like obviously unfair compared to Maguire's Spidey but even compared to Garfield's Spidey Holland's is full-on zoomer with his smartphone.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the actual movie news/trailer drops with these things are usually done in a more encompassing western mid-day capacity so I'm not surprised it wasn't done last night while Europe was sleeping. We'll probably see it soon enough.