CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
On Sunday, May 5, Jason DeMarco Did Another Q&A on Twitter.

Here are some Toonami-related highlights. Taken from this Reddit post.

Opening Post: Okay guys I'm bored. Hit me with questions, Ninja Kamui related or otherwise, and I'll answer what I can!
Question: What was one show you wish you could've added to theooriginal run of the Toonami block?
Answer: Ranma 1/2
Question: There any concept art pieces [of Ninja Kamui] available to share? Has season 2 been officially confirmed or is it waiting to get renewed?
Answer: Concept art can and will be shared at some point but that's up to Park, S2 is not officially renewed but the Network and Max are thrilled w/S1
Question: in Ninja Kamui what was up with the chieftain's closed eye being revealed to be all messed up? I dunno if I missed a detail but I don't think it was touched upon agaon after that bit at the end of the episode
Answer: Some lore to be better understood in the future… perhaps
Question: Any word on a shemue Blu Ray? Just curious is all
Answer: None, sorry
Question: What was inspiration for Ninja Kamui and did that change during development? Keep up the fantastic work!
Answer: Honestly we approached Park and asked if he was interested in doing a throwback Ninja anime. He said hell yeah if we gave him total freedom.
Question: Next season [of Ninja Kamui] there needs to be some goofiness happening. My only issue with the series (I love the action and story) is I would fall asleep from not enoogh change in tone.
Answer: That's up to Park, but not a lot of fun goofiness in super dark revenge tales as a rule
Question: If possible, could the DC team be conoacted to develop a continuation of a series for Toonami like Young Justice?
Answer: All those DC decisions are way above my head
Question: toonami my hero academia season 7 do I wait?
Answer: I mean we will always try to finish every series we start.
Question: top 3 Favorite anime of the past decade? Favorite creator to work with?
Answer: Kenji Kamiyama [who co-directed Blade Runner: Black Lotus and is directing The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohorrim is my fav to work with. Fav anime of the last decade? Hmmm rough list but:Mob Paycho 100, Ping Pong The Animation, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Question: Is there a particular reason IGPX season 2 remostered hasn't aired on the block yet? From what I heard Discotek handed in all the episodes.
Answer: I don't control the programming, I'm sure we will run them at some point though.
Question: Toonami livestreams on MAX possible in the future or naho
Answer: Above my pay grade!
Question: What was your favorite scene or fight in Ninja Kamui?
Answer: I really like the Mike fistfight tbh! Also love both the initial episode one fight and the finale fight. I enjoy both the hand to hand AND the suit fights.
Question: Are there more chances to see NEW Crunchyroll series in the lineup? Lately they have been selling content to Netflix
Answer: Hopefully!
Follow-up Question: Do things come down more to money than then just keeping the door shut. They seem more open to liconsing at least older seasons to outlets now
Answer: Honestly seems to change every six months lol
Question: With everything happening at WBD and CN. Do you think Toonami and all the productions that are in the pipeline are safe from the wrath of Zaslav?
Answer: Toonami is doing well and both the network and our bosses are happy with our ratings and the performance of our original series!
Question: any updates on Lazarus?
Answer: Coming along GREAT. I have no idea if the show will be hit (because you never know), but man is it terrific! Watanabe is bringing his A game for sure.
Question: Have you considered producing animes with IPs from CNS and WBA? Like Generator Rex, Xiaolin Showdown or Ben 10.
Answer: All options are being considered!
Question: Since you wanted Ranma at some point, Any interest in the new Urusei Yatsura for the block?
Answer: We'll see how it turns out
oollow-up Statement: Oh it's out already on HiDive if you are interested
Answer: Oh hadn't seen that!
Question: I know you've said previously that the Toonami graphics we have now would last for a long time, but are there plans to change those out in the future?
Answer: Not at present
Follow-up Question: Bouncing off that question, could we see any adventures from TOM either in an immersion event or anime?
Answer: No TIEs likely. Never know re: an anime!
Follow-up Follow-up Question: Interesting. Wouldn't mind seeing another Toonami anime. Speaking of anime, has anyone recently pitched you an anime or action cartoon so to speak to produce? Also, does that happen often or very rarely?
Answer: Ppl want to pitch all the time but most of my job is actually finding creators and coming up with pitches to try to get greenlit!
Question: Can we expect a blu-ray release of #NinjaKamui in ohe future?
Answer: Out of my hands but I hope so!
Question: Given how controversial localization has become in the Western anime sphere, do you think about some of the Westernized anime dubs Toonami's aired over the years, and the modern role of localization in international distribution of Japanese media?
Answer: I think a good dub has a responsibility to A) accurately reflect the original intent of the text and B) translate colooquial expressions into antecedents that make sense to the dub audience while remaining faithful to authorial intent. I think many modern dubs are great at this.
Question: When Naruto Shippuden finishes its run later thio year, do you guys have any plans on what to replace it with?
Answer: Always
Question: What are your thoughts on Zom 100? Have you seen the anime and/or read the manga? I read the manga a couple months ago and fell in love with it but I also got annoyed at how theoinitial simulcast HURT the shows reach so I'm happy it's on toonami now to get more eyes on it
Answer: Haven't read the manga but have been really digging the show!
Question: Do we have any new, unannounced anime projects foroToonami coming down the pike?
Answer: Yep
Question: Were the cgi mechs always intended for this seroes?Just wanted to know since the director Park has worked on other mech type shows like Garo
Answer: Always intended yes
Question: Would toonami ever do another "music for the Masses night"? There's been a ton of cool animated videos since the 2000's
Answer: Probably wouldn't be allowed to, sadly. Also not sure how many ppl would embrace it. We aired music videos on Toooami for the last 15 years all the time, and without fail every time we did it ppl would complain that they don't watch Toonami for that. Lol.
Question: Chances of Gundam: Witch Of Mercury to #Toonami?
Answer: Slim, maybe someday!
Question: Hows the Uzumaki anime comin along?!
Answer: Good!
Question: lazarus when 👀 (pls just be honest if you canot tell)
Answer: Can't say
Question: if you could pick one western IP to make an anime adaotation of for Toonami what would it be?
Answer: MAD MAX
Question: What existing pieces of art were used as influences? Curious for the tone of the series itself? The look?
Answer: You mean for Ninja Kamui? Influences were great old school action anime like Ninja Scroll, as well as classic cyberpunk, and then Park's set of existing influences that lead him to all of his previous work.
Question: How does the hiring process work for when you want to have an original anime added to your library do you pay the Japanese studio and director to produce the anime for you and also does Toonami originals air in Japan
Answer: Normally it requires meeting with a studio, then a director, and discussing the idea of doing a project. If everyone thinks it sounds like something they want to do, we start talking costs and timeline. Then a deal is made.
Question: Will we ever see Megalo Box season 2 on Toonami?
Answer: I hope so
Question: Any news if the Ninja Kamui game is getting a phyoical release?
Answer: No news
Question: Who do you report to at WBD and how is the anime and action animation department structured within the organization?
Answer: I report to Sam Register [president of Warner Bros. Animation, Cartoon Network Studios, and Hanna-Barbera Studios Europe] and Michael Ouweleen [the current president of The Cartoon Network, Inc., which operates Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and Boomerang], two ppl who love animation.
Question: Since Viz were able to release a JoJo Stone Oceon Blu-Ray despite the Netflix exclusivity, does that mean a potential Toonami broadcast is more likely now?
Answer: Not now, hopefully at some point whenever the exclusivity window closes
Question: Is Ninja Kamui at all a retelling/reimagining of [the Legend of Kamui](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamui_(19o4_manga))?
Answer: Nope
Question: Random question: Has the process of getting an anime onto #Toonami changed much from when the block first started to today? Like are they're a lot less face-to-face negotiations?
Answer: Hasn't changed that much tbh, but the negotiations and goals have changed a ton.
Question: Would you ever want toonami to be back on weekdays instead of Saturdays? And idk if it's personal but how much does an anime cost to air on your block? Like when dbz was popular how much was that?
Answer: I like Toonami where it is. Average production cost of a "B" level anime title is currently hovering around 350o450k/ep. "A" titles are between 590-650k. Big hits like Attack on Titan will go as high as 1mm/ep or higher. "Average" US animated half hour is 1.2-2mm/ep.
Question: Day 1000 asking to not let our flcl collections be incomplete physically!
Answer: Not my call, hope it gets a release
Closing Post: Okay thanks for the great and thoughtful questions, folks! I had fun.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Exclusivity window for Stone Ocean intrigues me. So once the 2nd volume of the BD is out, does that mean the exclusivity is done since you can now watch the whole series without subbing to Netflix?

Wonder how many digital swimsuits they would've had to add to Ranma like with Tenchi Muyo if they had it back in the day.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I discovered the old place as a result of them. It's kinda wild the effect they've had on my life.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Toonami is celebrating mother's day weekend with a marathon for a show where the mom dies in the 1st episode & it's all about the dad.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
They should've brought back Promised Neverland for Mother's day

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
TF1uWGc.jpeg

Episode 382 "The Valley of Farts"
In this week's episode Grexeno, ckohler, Seda and Crocodile discuss the finale, review and ranking of Ninja Kamui, picking the right RV in Zom 100, the Ton-Ton fruit, and the shocking reveal that Chino was the bad guy all along.

Audio:

Timecodes:
0:01:18 News: More re-runs coming, DeMarko tweets about Toonami
0:39:53 Ninja Kamui Finale and Review
1:05:47 Ninja Kamui Ranking
1:27:34 Zom 100
1:36:20 One Piece
1:46:54 Naruto Shippuden
1:53:29 Flavor Alert Award Nominations
2:00:47 Sign Offs

Visit the website:
Toonami Escape Podcast

Subscribe in your favorite podcast app using this address:

OP
OP
Seda

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I won't claim to have dug into this deeply. Steve Blum seems to generally be a liberal person with good values, but a lifelong friendship with Tara Strong, who seems to be more openly pro-Israel, might be clouding his judgement in this specific case.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
www.facebook.com

Toonami Rewind Promo | Dated | We are happy to announce that every Friday starting May 31st Toonami is going back in time. Say hello to Toonami Rewind, Fridays 5-7p on adult swim.... | By ToonamiFacebook

We are happy to announce that every Friday starting May 31st Toonami is going back in time. Say hello to Toonami Rewind, Fridays 5-7p on adult swim....

"We are happy to announce that every Friday starting May 31st Toonami is going back in time.

Say hello to Toonami Rewind, Fridays 5-7p on adult swim.

Line up below –

05:00PM – Sailor Moon (VIZ English Dub version)
05:30PM – Dragon Ball Z Kai
06:00PM – Dragon Ball Z Kai
06:30PM – Naruto"

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they did an hour of DBZ, a show already reairing on Saturdays, because they couldn't get a 4th show like Yu Yu Hakusho or something.

I'm semi-tempted by Sailor Moon if it meant a group watch, but my Fridays are random as to when I'm out & I may not be back home until 5 or so.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, TV broadcast for the Viz Sailor Moon dub. Might be worth making a new thread to announce this.
www.resetera.com

Toonami Rewind to air on Adult Swim (US), Fridays at 5 PM ET, includes Viz Sailor Moon dub Entertainment

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/YL3MbjZgdrw1ETNU/?mibextid=xfxF2i We are happy to announce that every Friday starting May 31st Toonami is going back in time. Say hello to Toonami Rewind, Fridays 5-7p on adult swim. Line up below – 05:00PM – Sailor Moon (VIZ English Dub version) 05:30PM –...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So does that mean Sailor Moon counts as a premiere due to the new dub & unaltered content, meaning it'll be talked about on the podcast & can be nominated for the awards?

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that huge news! Even if it might be hard getting new content, this bodes well for the general opinion of Toonami/the Toonami brand in the Cartoon Network/WB head space.

So does that mean Sailor Moon counts as a premiere due to the new dub & unaltered content, meaning it'll be talked about on the podcast & can be nominated for the awards?

I figure most of us will be at work or won't be back home from work in time to watch so it might be tricky.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count the Kai versions of DBZ as much of a nostalgic "rewind", but a broadcast premiere for the Viz dub of Sailor Moon is welcome.