• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Interesting, I would've expected Binding of Isaac to be lower and Rocket League to be higher. Very happy to see Stardew Valley up there with 1st party games and Minecraft.
Binding of Isaac came out near launch while Rocket League came out near the end of the year. With that in mind, their placements aren't that surprising.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very good list, and once again indicates how vibrant and engaged the Switch ecosystem is for first parties, third parties, and indie developers.
Skyrim's performance makes me happy.

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm... confused. Is this ranked by play hours? Total play hours, or average play hours across all owners?

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see no Doom on that list but i'm glad that Skyrim made it!

A bit unfair to compare a medium length single player campaign ( I know it has MP, but it's not the main course) to one of most famous open world games.

I think the best way to read this is number of copies sold Ă— hours played. Hence why most of them are either open world games or mainly online vs.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
Xenoblade just came out at a rough time for all these "biggest / best of 2017" type lists. I've put more hours into that than every other Switch game combined so far (to be fair, I've underplayed a few titles) so unless it just sold no copies it's hard to imagine its not a big player for the system.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim's performance makes me happy.

It being the most recently launched game on that list but still that high suggests that its sales are probably extremely good. All we know as of now is a bit over 100k physical in November, I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled that number in December. And who knows about digital.

Either that or everyone who did buy it is playing it nonstop (this is the case for me).

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It does concern me about the DOOM not being repped there... the low physical sales, and then this
But it seems at least the other Bethesda offerings are doing well, so there's that

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Except we don't have happy statements from Betheseda on Doom sales. So, again, it doesn't look good.

~60k physical for November is the leaked number, which is fairly decent for a full price late port of a FPS on a Nintendo console. I'm sure they're happy with its performance.

Skyrim undoubtedly performed quite well too, and we don't have a happy statement about that either. Not every success gets a happy statement.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
~60k physical for November is the leaked number, which is fairly decent for a full price late port of a FPS on a Nintendo console. I'm sure they're happy with its performance.

Skyrim undoubtedly performed quite well too, and we don't have a happy statement about that either. Not every success gets a happy statement.
That, plus Bethesda hardly shared any numbers or statements regarding the Skyrim remaster last year, and it toom for NPD to ultumately reveal to us that the game had actually done well.

It being the most recently launched game on that list but still that high suggests that its sales are probably extremely good. All we know as of now is a bit over 100k physical in November, I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled that number in December. And who knows about digital.

Either that or everyone who did buy it is playing it nonstop (this is the case for me).
Yeah, Skyrim will do that to you haha. Anyway, i am sure it has done well, it's the perfect game to follow up BotW with.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
yoooooo Disgaea 5

I helped with that :P

Good to see Splatoon 2 so high too.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Skyrim 100k numbers was for the first 9 days on sale, so there were 36 more for it to sell. I think 200k for Skyrim in US is quite possible.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
For what reason? You seem to be popping in a lot of Nintendo-related threads with drivebys and not explaining yourself. At least you said more in the EDGE 10/10 topic after "lol they're Nintendo fanboys".
I had a hard time believing Xenoblade wasnt even in the top 20 and Rocket League barely making it, because I thought this was average per title, not cumulative numbers.

linko9

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Xenoblade's not on there. Even if it sold terribly, it's got an average playtime of well over 100 hours.

I'd guess Zelda more than doubled any other game, for the same reason.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
20+ hours clocked in for Zelda, the rest must be less than an hour going by my profile, Mario included.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Surprised Xenoblade's not on there. Even if it sold terribly, it's got an average playtime of well over 100 hours.

I'd guess Zelda more than doubled any other game, for the same reason.
Sure, but it also had only 1 month for people to play it. I find it hard to conceive that a significant portion of owners would be able to put in 100 hours in just 1 month.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So people are actually playing more 1-2 Switch than a portable port of DOOM 2016.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

We got happy statement about every 3rd party devs on Switch when the game is selling well. So if we don't here anything, it's because the sales are not that good. By the way 60k is poor, not decent.

The incredible success of the Switch doesn't seem to translate well with the big 3rd party devs yet. Now like Doom and Skyrim, ports on Switch are probably not the best indicator of 3rd party sales potential on Switch.

On the other hand, indies are doing fantastically well !

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it also had only 1 month for people to play it. I find it hard to conceive that a significant portion of owners would be able to put in 100 hours in just 1 month.
And i assume this is based on total hours. You just can't catch up to those sellers.

Do we think this means that Skyrim sold much better than xenoblade2? It was only a 3 week difference?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We got happy statement about every 3rd party devs on Switch when the game is selling well. So if we don't here anything, it's because the sales are not that good. By the way 60k is poor, not decent.

The incredible success of the Switch doesn't seem to translate well with the big 3rd party devs yet. Now like Doom and Skyrim, ports on Switch are probably not the best indicator of 3rd party sales potential on Switch.

That is a logical fallacy if I ever read one. Besides, Bethesda is privately owned so there is no way to pin point what they will and won't talk about.

Also, I believe Mat Piscatella or some other analyst said in ERA that they consider Doom numbers to be good, so assuming I can find that, you would need to do much more than just claim 60k is bad. Edit: I can't find the quote, so disregard this please.

Last edited:

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
And i assume this is based on total hours. You just can't catch up to those sellers.

Do we think this means that Skyrim sold much better than xenoblade2? It was only a 3 week difference?
Yeah thats the only useful data we can gather from this lol, the higher the rank, the better it sold, meh.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, that's a fairly unreasonably stance to take. Bethesda doesn't make these kinda statements for many of their games apparently, DOOM's absence on this chart could easily just be down to it being a rather short game.

And 60k physical in about 2.5 weeks is fine for the type of game this is. At $60 it's gonna generate a fair bit of revenue for Bethesda.

I'd honestly be surprised if Skyrim didn't sell more than XC2. Skyrim has done quite well so far, and XC2 is a very niche game.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Stardew came out in what, October? Higher than M+R and ARMS. That's insane.

I hope he's working on a sequel already.

Eszik

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Fucking Minecraft man, strong as ever. Also nice to see Stardew Valley and Isaac so high, even though that's also due to how many hours you can sink into those games